Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Regarding the Shrike Team, it's better to guess not when they die, but who survives the longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

The Adrastea is cool, in a silly way.
But gently caress fighting them Super Robot Wars D. They are a key part of a very annoying stage in that game, where you have to reduce about 3-4 to below 10% HP in order to advance.

Anyhew, my first exposure to Gundam was 0083 back when Adult Swim was new and fresh. Admittedly, I had trouble following Synapse and Burning without laughing a little, since I was also watching Digimon and their dub VAs were Gennai and Leomon, respectively. Really liked the Dendrobium back then, even if it was a flying brick with guns and missiles strapped to it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, Usso is easily one of the best pilots. He's practically untouchable and will hit even the dodgiest enemies.
Couple that with him learning the Soul spirit command and access to a decent MAPW, and Uso is very useful to have around. Especially when you have to deal with stuff like Frost Brothers ShenanigansTM.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Reposting this because I don't think anyone saw the question. I want to read about Bright sentencing his own kid to death.
Nothing on Hathaway's Flash as far as I know, but Beltorchika's Children has a manga adaptation going on right now.

This is how William T. RikerBright looks in the manga:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Even in cosplay nobody likes Lightning Gundam
In all fairness, Lightning Gundam has a big backpack that'd make it difficult to fit through doorways, as well as be very easy to damage by just about anything. And then you'd have to lug something that weighs a lot on your back during the day. So it's less unpopularity and more a case of favoring practical assembly/movement on a convention floor.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, the bad guys from what I have seem in some moments seem to make Zeon look....efficient? good at their job? the gently caress?
Victory Gundam flows better when you view it as Uso being the last sane human being in the known universe and the show is him realizing that everyone has lost their minds.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caros posted:

Why on earth would anyone complain about this amazing gunpla fighter?
People who hate the Tallgeese? :shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Tomino clearly wasn't a happy man in in the early nineties.
To wit, around 1993 Tomino was dealing with:

--Depression yet again (IIRC, his worst bout with it)
--A bad breakup with his wife
--His daughter running away from home (the same daughter who would later help coordinate G-Reco's eyecatch dances)

The fact that he managed to make Victory Gundam under all these personal stresses is a goddamn miracle in of itself. But yes, Tomino's anger at things really comes out in Victory more than anywhere else.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh wow, the loss of the Reinforce is actually kind of moving.
MELTING INTO IMAGE OOOH
GALAXY WITH YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

*I pull my dumb ski mask down to stare blandly at you, then pull it back up*
Chronicle's dumb ski mask is supposedly so he can handle breathing in Earth's atmosphere. Except anyone with a brain cell will immediately realize that a ski mask (especially the one Chronicle wears) will do anywhere between "jack poo poo" and "gently caress all" for that purpose.

Chronicle is definitely not one of the smarter Char Clones.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

But yeah, how light hearted and silly is G-Gundam? I need a break from the pathos, drama and suffering.
I'll put it to you with an out-of-context example:

Plan A for getting out of a collapsing tunnel in a ruined city: Punt a (partially sunken) skyscraper into the loving air.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

when will we get MS Boys, Bandai?
You'd think Setsuna would have helped usher that in, but nope.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's a known fact that Yazan had a short career in Federation TV entertainment post ZZ, sadly his situation comedy was canned after one episode because of his catch phrase.

And the constant junk touching of co-workers.
Thankfully, his fried chicken business venture was enough to keep him employed and afloat in a post-war society.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I forget how SEED ended for the EA. I know one conscientious fodder stopped Zala and GENESIS, and I remember Yzak's mother was arrested by what I guess were a moderate faction, but what stopped the EA? Or did Azrael getting blown up do that?
Azrael's death was...sort of kinda supposed to be the death blow for Blue Cosmos. But then LOGOS surfaces in Destiny and is essentially "Second verse, same as the first. A little bit louder and a little bit worse.", so his death was just a case of the villain of the hour dying then and passing the torch to a new generation of racist extremists.

As for the EA, a lot of their lunar/space forces got crippled and a couple of their best commanders died over the course of the show (Haliburton and the 8th Fleet, for instance), but since the Cosmic Era makes it very clear that the Feds are glorified sock puppets to the aforementioned racist extremists, their fate is a footnote compared to the rest of the Earth Sphere.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What also helps Azrael stand out is performance and involvement in-universe. Nobuyuki Hiyama wonderfully sells Azrael to the audience and Azrael is also on the front lines of the action (from a safe distance, mind) when Blue Cosmos ups its presence within the Federation for the final half of the show. And the show commits to having Azrael not be in the shadows, and has him directly controlling what is going on in the EA's campaign against ORB and ZAFT until his death in the finale.

By contrast, Djibril's VA does a by-the-numbers performance that makes the character fall flat, plus he is very much removed from the action and prefers to sit in his Super Secret Evil LairTM millions of miles away from the action. Djibril is also not helped by having so little presence during the show up until Berlin, when he slowly starts being on screen more, but then gets quickly shoved aside to remind people how more evil Durandal is. IIRC, the longest time Djibril is on screen is the very episode he dies and Requiem is destroyed. All other appearances are very short (roughly 5-7 minutes tops) and leave little for the audience to invest or care about the character.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

the WZC weirds people out cause it can flap it's wings like a bird.it's a robot, the wings should be made of metal, not feathers
IIRC, they are made of metal, yet act like normal bird feathers. Because the Wing universe runs on raw batshit insanity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I cannot for the life of me find good images of non main/minor character Zanscare. However if you are into crazy overly busty Katejina PVC figuires I assure you now you are living in a golden age.

Seriously, aside from screen capping directly from the episodes anyone got any suggestions? If not, I'll sadly just move onto Zeon.
I'd just go for the screencap option, given how rare it is to find Victory related images.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lobsterman posted:

I didn't like Puru until I heard her combo attack speech with Domon in DW Gundam 1. That changed my tune real fast.
Puru's story in DW Gundam 1 is something that should not work. You have Puru backed up by Domon and Zechs being the third wheel; none of those characters should work together as a team. And yet, the game manages to make that bizarre team work well. Shame that the later DW Gundam games dropped the first game's story mode, though. I would have loved to have seen equally mismatched pairings, like Kira having to deal with Ali's eccentrics or Angelo and Mashymere arguing over their respective idols.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still won't forgive him for not wearing the floppy officer hat of death though.
Choosing to not wear an officer's hat helped him live longer, on the other hand.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

So uh, apparently they're turning Gundam Unicorn into a TV broadcast by editing the OAVs down to episode-length snippets under the name Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. A new OP and ED and narration by Full Frontal.

In a (probably) unrelated note there is a new Gundam Unicorn novel coming out too.
I'm pretty much expecting a RE:0096 model kit line to be announced as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My handwavey guess was that it was an impact thing to protect the visor. Smash your head forward from an impact and the forehead piece hits the console instead of the visor.
The only problem I could see with that theory is if a pilot suffers a severe enough impact, that forehead brick is smashing into the console and you're now missing several key gauges and info screens.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Monaghan posted:

given how bloodthirsty EA soliders were, I'm sure the helmets were designed for stabbing enemy soldiers via headbutt.
Blue Cosmos and/or LOGOS would definitely be crazy enough to build a switchblade into a pilot's helmet for no real reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Revitalized posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.it/2016/03/mobile-suit-gundam-gaiden-blue-destiny.html

Are they redoing a manga for Blue Destiny? I really liked Blue Destiny and I have that one manga book that came out ages ago but is this a new thing?
Kind of sounds more like a re-release rather than a remake. Then again, a few pictures with no words accompanying the blog post doesn't help much.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Am I remembering right that the director of 08th MS passed away in the middle of production or was that some random nonsense, because if so it would explain the dip in quality.
Yes, that is correct, and also the reason the series' release schedule went from a regular one to a sporadic one spanning a few years after...episode 5, I think.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Beecha's back.
and elle
And despite being a decade later, he still has the most punchable face the AUEG ever recruited.

Also Elle, what...what ARE you wearing?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh hey, whoever was doing the Marvel superhero mobile suits actually did a whole bunch more than just the Avengers:

I now want a Unicorn recut where all of Banagher's lines are in Hulk-speak.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The artist behind the gag comic pages from IBO is moving onto RE-0096.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I just want them to fix that poo poo rear end ending.

It still angers me.
The ending becomes hilarious when you realize the currently running Last Sun manga has a Zeon remnant faction (again) spring up in immediate response to the reveal of Laplace's Box. In other words, Banagher and Mineva's attempt to stop the status quo from continuing backfires immensely.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Srice posted:

30ish years of peace is an incredibly good run, considering how you couldn't even go half a decade without someone trying to drop something big on Earth.
Given that the previous streak was about 5 years (between ZZ and CCA) of peace, that is indeed an accomplishment.

I think that what makes me laugh about Last Sun the most is that they managed to invent yet another goddamn Zeon remnant faction to be the villains. Sunrise just won't let them rest for good, even in the spinoff material. It's moved beyond silly and into the eye-rolling levels of creative stagnation at this point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Deep Striker or bust.
One day, someone at Sunrise will get the go ahead to animate that monstrosity. And the results will be a beautiful sight to behold.

E: The Orchis is the death machine, ManSeries. Stamen is just the vanilla Gundam.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it
Don't worry, the Reinforce can still fight.
?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Don't worry, BlitzBlast. You are not the only one going :psyduck: over that transformation.

Like, I want this to get a model kit just for the sole purpose of explaining the Spread Eagle Flight Mode transformation process in a coherent manner.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

So the design for what I assume will be the first opponent of the IBO sidestory manga has been unveiled

Looks like they're gonna be fighting another Teiwaz subsidiary.
I'm not sure what I find funnier. The fedora/trilby head design, or the fact its main weapon is a switchblade knife.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Oh nooooooo what even is that
That's Gundam Astaroth, the lead Gundam for said IBO manga spin-off.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

So in a weird way that's the megaman Gundam people thought the Barbatos would be.
Well, Barbatos was kind of Megaman Gundam for the first few episodes, with it cobbling parts of Grazes to fix damaged sections. Once Teiwaz entered the room, that shtick ended and it stayed relatively the same (aside from Mika flip-flopping between the mace and the katana as his primary melee weapon) because the Turbines/Tekkadan somehow were always able to fart out fresh parts for the Barbatos.

With Astaroth, they seem to be fully committing to that gimmick as part of the narrative instead of primarily for model kit lines.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

the fifth form used the schwalbe graze's leg boosters though, and that was after teiwaz.
Without having you tell me that was the case, I would have never even noticed. To be fair, I usually gloss over things like leg boosters since they're never strictly focused on unless it's a plot point for an episode or something similar.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think a big part of the Barbatos forms being kinda samey is that they never really get a chance to shine for the most part since the fights are largely one-sided stomps where the gimmicks or new parts rarely play a function. Stuff like the mace/katana gets more focus so its' easier to keep it in mind.
It also doesn't help that Barbatos form 4 was the one that got the most press, air or ad time, as it featured in a lot of the gunpla commercials that Daisuki would run in the middle of episodes. So, your mind leans towards that form the most because it was the one that got marketed the most. Like, in my mind, forms 1 through 3 are this short burst from the early episodes, then form 4 dominates the show up until they reach Earth and form 5b takes over (form 5a barely got screentime), until the final battle where form 6 finishes out the show.

But, who knows what Astaroth will pick up. Maybe it'll get something useful but mundane as Hard Knuckle or broken as gently caress like Metal Blade.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

the first chapter of the ibo sidestory manga's been translated http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kidou-senshi-gundam-tekketsu-no-orphans-gekkou-r18729
So, Mafioso Mobile Suit also has a sidearm designed like...I want to say a Beretta as well. Interesting.

Also, "Take off your hat in front of people" is so gloriously cheesy as an action one-liner. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a regular Hyakuren rifle. You see that big curved magazine when Argie knocks it away.
Ah, missed that detail. The angle and perspective it was at when the mobile suit was pointing it at Argie and Ted made it look like a handgun instead of a rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kuvo posted:

what the hell are these things

Remember Duker Iq's mobile suit and battleship development plans? The giant tire things were part of those plans.