Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

as somebody who plays with the toys, toy commercials are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

we even have a 800-page thread about them here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

join my gruntsuit group build

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Do not listen to them, Divers is offensively bad to think and talk about with how nobody could be afforded to spare a brain cell on the plot, worldbuilding and characterization.

Also Zeta is great.

Zeta's middle section is so mind-numbingly dull even I dropped it which says a lot considering that I'm isekai thread OP.

apparently it gets really good but if it takes 30 to 40 episodes to do that it's not worth it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also Magee revealing that he and Shahryar had a one-night stand is equivalent wrt characterization with the entirety of Try.

Stardust Memory is actually the worst thing that I've ever finished. The fact that it looks pretty good just makes how offensively nonsensical the plot and characters are even worse.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

In retrospect I do kinda enjoy the fact that the central mystery of Divers, Sara, is a mystery only to the audience. She's not a mystery to the characters because they straight up do not care. A strange psychic girl shows up with no Gunpla in the game about having a Gunpla, and they don't even think to question it.

I mean they straight-up state that lots of people don't even log in with gunpla, they just log in to socialize with friends.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

She also has no friends, knows nothing about and doesn't care about Gundam, and despite not having a Gunpla the few times she initiates a conversation it's usually about someone else's Gunpla.

I have about 30 hours in FF14 the majority of which was spent wandering around solo ignoring game content and playing dress up (Ive not even gotten to HW yet) so like that's actually pretty relatable ngl

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

it might have been 300

e - I just checked and it's 300

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The AI plot in divers is dumb but also only exists in like four episodes of a two-cour show and the fight in the last episode was really good

The rest of the show has kind of a boring plot but is perfectly fine, has some fun characters (magee, sharyhar), has a really good character arc with ayame and a decent one for k01, has a bunch of good fights and, and has some of the best robot designs in the franchise.

The ending I agree had a dumb premise but the rest of the show is pretty enjoyable and even the ending bits have some good fights and character moments.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

also "are we going to eliminate this entity that we don't even agree is actually living or sentient and to us it's just an amalgamation of bugs in order to save the world that we love (and keeps us employed)" is kind of less dumb than "is it ethical to try and destroy the entire population of earth"

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

spoilers, trying to eliminate the entirety of Earth's current population is a bad thing and they tend not to be successful with this

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I would probably have a very different opinion about zeta if it was a cour or two shorter

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

why the hell would you make three diff crossbone anime when you've resisted doing anything with it for so long and straight up ignore the later parts even in srw

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1298949678793240583?s=19

divers battlelogue in november
excited about what they'll do

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I mean they're a bunch of mmo devs and mods they absolutely don't get paid enough to think that hard about it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im sorry yall we're getting more uc bc they're making a crossbone dust adaptation, just for me

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

iirc thunderbolt is in the origin continuity and not the original uc one

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

remember how the G Lucifer is probably the most advanced suit in any timeline and straight-up uses moonlight butterfly but like actually does nothing of importance whatsoever and is a 1500 cost in versus 2

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, most advanced according to drunk Tomino one time. Most Sunrise and Bandai stuff before and since still puts the Turn A and the Turn X as later developments.

But yeah, G-Reco did a much worse job than Turn A in selling a gap between Mobile Suit types.

i do not question the drunken word of god

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

remember also that the technology range in g-reco is from "just discovered the beam saber" to "suit with giant funnels, minovsky flight entirely in its legs/feet, and moonlight butterfly"

this huge range of technology is kind of the point, as is demonstrating that the super advanced weapons are useless without someone who knows how to use them

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

who cares if your robot has world-ending powers if you never use them to any significant degree

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

IGLOO ruled stop giving me unicorn and narrative and whatever and just give me more IGLOO

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

less season 1 than the others but season 1 was also pretty good ignoring the Zeon nationalism part of it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Warmachine posted:

But like, that's literally the whole point of IGLOO :confused:

Didn't the giant Nazi Principality of Zeon flag waving majestically during the credits give that away?

that was only season 1, and most of my memories of season 1 are the zudah and the hidolfr

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

did like nobody watch the federation episodes of igloo

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The ones about death as a shinigami lady roaming the battlefield collecting souls weighed down by gravity

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

okay there are three seasons of igloo but the third season is called igloo 2 which is where my confusion comes from

The first three episodes of igloo are the giant war ending supercannon that immediately becomes obsolete and manages to blow up a single ship at the cost of a dude's life, the hildolfr episode, and the zudah episode

The next three episodes are season 2 and are just pure Zeon apologia and kind of suck even if I love the oggo

The final three episodes are season 3 or igloo 2 and are from the federation side and are actually pretty drat good

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

like at the very least it's better than try or 83 or the middle part of zeta

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

season 2 definitely sucks but also season 2 was like tacked on after season 1 saw success rather than being planned for when making the first three episodes

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

83 is terrible, but it's pretty and terrible, while IGLOO looks uglier than homemade sin.

Zeta, depending on how you define "middle" has Amuro's return, Haman's introduction, plenty of Yazan, and/or the Kilimanjaro episodes. The overall pacing is weak, and the repeated deaths of female pilots to motivate the men in the cast is awful, but episode to episode, most of Zeta is well shot with interesting character interactions.

Haven't seen Try, so a verdict's going to be tougher to come to, but for the other two, at least, I'm confident in saying IGLOO is worse.

83 is quite possibly my least favorite anime ever made. I have also watched anime that have made me physically ill before. I would still put 83 below them just because of how much it wasted my time.

If anything the fact that it's pretty and has good designs just makes it all that much worse because they could have been extremely good instead of absolute poo poo.
Also I actually enjoyed how the later parts of igloo looked especially the mech fights on land. But I also grew up with beast wars and other terrible CG shows so ymmv.

By middle of Zeta I mean up until 33 or so. Where it's a lot of faffing around doing nothing while murdering every female character it can because ???

Try is Build Fighters if you took away everything fun about it, only had a handful of interesting characters and gave them all maybe 15 minutes of screen time between them, made the fights boring and all end the exact same way, and somehow managed to do literally no character development for the main characters beyond the female protags arc of "what if I removed all of my agency from any situation and had my Gundam literally turn into an equipment upgrade for the main character"

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 10, 2020

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

IGLOO > MidZeta > Try >>>>> 83

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Them being stupid is exactly why they're cool

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

next you're going to be telling me that the gaza-ley is not the pinnacle of mobile suit design

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course it isn't.

The Gaza-ley isn't a Kapool.

this is also acceptable.
although recently I've become a big fan of this guy

https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/moon/ems-13.htm

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

mari okada saved this loving show

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

oh Mars Zeon is distinct from the other one I'm pretty sure

there was like a Martian Zeon faction that used to occupy Mars and then the one in AOZ is ReZeon which is a totally distinct zabi splinter group following Alicia Zabi who may or may not actually be a Zabi and they're both at conflict with ReZeon having taken over Mars in the meantime (and also assimilating a bunch of Titans technology hence the inle)

I guess at some point ReZeon gets defeated by the other Mars Zeon faction or something.

there's a bunch of volumes of this out now and this is the first time anybody's attempted to translate it into English as far as I know so everybody's knowledge about this is incredibly vague but hopefully things will be better explained as time goes on and we get to later chapters

also hi i did the script editing for that chapter

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

most of the rezeon resources are straight up prototype Titan ships and mobile suits afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

a disclaimer that literally everything I just wrote might be completely wrong