Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Slight :biotruths: aside, in the G Gundam example I feel like it's a lot better handled. Being in the Devil Gundam was shown earlier to totally Suck rear end, and the person in question is p much forced in at gunpoint and turned into a statue for it.

Oh generally, how do the other Gundams handle women btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh, didn't really see them mentioned but out of curiosity, where do victory and zeta fall on that scale? i've heard there's a lot of oddness regarding female characters in those two, but i've only seen bits of zeta and none of victory. personally, i like G a Lot so i'm probably biased, but yeah it falls short wrt female characters (like most gundams, afaik). :v:

also robots with open mouths are p messed up :colbert:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

...like the bar's on the floor and the writing tunnels to the center of the earth levels of bad? :ohdear:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

was fukui the dude who did weird homophobia stuff in the unicorn novels too?? because i vaguely recall reading about some weird stuff in those books that wasn't in the ovas

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

he could be black and also japanese-brazilian

also i think lalah being a newtype ghost rules, shes just floating into amuro and chars brains and going "hey whats up" and then i guess they're all just chilling in newtype land

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

how would the neo philippines gundam look...........

also im lmaoing at the uk gundam descs, now im real curious about modern americas gundam

ImpAtom posted:

G Gundam's stuff falls into that category where if someone says it is so stupid it rolls back to cool that is perfectly reasonable and if someone says it feels kinda racist in a bad way that is also perfectly reasonable. (Obviously some mecha more than others.)

:yeah: basically this, imo g kinda falls under the punch out umbrella but its a lil iffier with some of the side gundams

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kira had a sex and decided "eh maybe later"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

didn't one of seed's jets have a big ol sword slapped on it?? that ruled in srw j

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

its ok the zeta gundam is powered by ghosts and then they just chill out in newtype heaven or whatever until another big ghost move is getting popped

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

fridging was first coined in the 70s about comic books and it was about a lady who gets murked to make a dude hero smad right? i mean, i feel like comic books have their own Issues regarding women tho idk how universally applicable the term is to gundam

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

It was coined after Indiana Jones 4

:hmmyes:

e:

Waffleman_ posted:

The phrase was coined in 1999 and refers to a Green Lantern comic from 94 wherein a woman's dead body was stuffed into an actual fridge.

oh dang it was 99?? i vaguely knew the original comic that kicked it off (rip gls gf), but that was a lot later than i thought :eyepop:

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

death is fail

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

is valvrave the morbius of mechas

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1558595235965386752

rip l gaim

also never saw wing but the card getting ripped up scene indirectly got me into mecha i think so, seems cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

finn should have waverider crashed palpatine

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i have never seen a Star Wars beyond a few mins of TFA and i think the last like, 20 mins of RotJ?? p sure i absorbed info about it by osmosis and google tho

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

couldn't you just force zap or choke the pilot of a gundam

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

panlunch...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Waffleman_ posted:

Why did Scwarz give Rain one of his masks

for fun

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

is the very last one build divers...

no wait, try??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait actually whys cca below victory,

Endorph posted:

its try yes. i can handle build fighters treating most of the female cast like they're experiencing sentient thought for the first time or talking a lot about how girls could NEVER like gundam, even if its a bit annoying, but try basically taunts you with the possibility that it might be more normal about girls before turning fumina into a backpack

that sucks. 😔
and yea the female chars of og fighters are a bit weak iirc, tho i can't tell what tier they're in on that chart

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

personally i think sexism is fail,

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i feel like og build fighters should be higher than zeta, maybe in the "doesn't know women" category

hmm this discussion is kind of making me want to see sexism tier lists for other stuff tbh, like final fantasy or smth

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im only like ep 2 into turn a but maybe loran is ND???

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea i was using ND as neurodivergent

kamille does self describe himself as autistic during that one scene (and gets slapped for it) and iirc amuro gets into the Zone like a ADHD hyperfocus p often?

Endorph posted:

its just the only moment any of them really get is 'take off that mask, dad' 'MY WIFE LEFT ME'.

thats like the only thing i know about f91 and, lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

tsob posted:

What about Loran strikes you as neurodivergent, out of interest?

ehhh tbh i wasn't super sure about it, maybe hes not?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i for one am excited to see the g witch rankings for sexism and neurodivergency in like, a year or however long it'll take for it to finish airing

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

sexism: 5/10
neurodivergence: 11/10

lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yes, yes, no

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Nodosaur posted:

Look, guys. I don’t think any of these characters were intended to have autism. But they have traits that I, a person with autism, resonate with. You don’t need for it to be explicitly canon to interpret a character that way. And autism isn’t something you can really get “better from” either.

yea i get that 👍

i got some brain stuff myself (not sure if its autism or adhd or some combo mix of that + other stuff like a combiner super robot), so its always cool to see a char and get like, Vibes off of them for something

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Tabletops posted:

Is the 2017 turn a blu ray good? Anyone watched it?

i think thats the ver im watching rn and its real cool!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

don't a lot of irl married couples have separate beds in the same room that they can push together and whatnot? maybe lorans just a blanket hog if they sleep in the same bed

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ehhhh i dunno besides her cheekbones looking kind of sharp she doesn't look That Old

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

g witch is real good!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

why is it always about the ratings...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the thread title went from "Under Nu Management" to "That's no Anime, boy! No Anime!".....

also is fukuda working on the new grendizer??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

tbh this is sounding kind of incredible

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

swords are cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

overall i Really liked WfM but to me the funny part was the vibes of the other bad parental figures kinda getting downplayed after guels dad got owned and it shifted gears to being all about prospera

maybe it was just my early read of the show seeming like it was leaning into more bad previous generations before shifting over to just prospera and her being stuck in the past/making a ghost zone or smth, idk if im describing this well because it still kinda does that but i guess the focus gets narrowed or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

being skeptical or cautious is one thing but its extremely pointless to go all chicken little on something that hasn't even come out yet...