Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To go with all those videos from a few pages back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zt09A-Xd7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not some garbage super robot poo poo.

Turn-A retroactively made the Gundam hammer cool.

I think you mean the Daitarn Hammer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sayla and Elle are the most underappreciated pilots of the Universal Century.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I always bring up the episode where Elle hold sup the entire Neo-Zeon army by herself in a MKII while Judeau goes do some plot stuff.

It's offscreen, but it happens I swear!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Logicblade posted:

I think it's about time... I stood up to the Victory.

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

Warning: when they mention the Guillotine, it's not a metaphor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Logicblade posted:

Ok... that's a little more reasonable. Too used to my gundam protagonists being in their late teens, I forget that the Victory cast is actually younger. I'm hoping she grows out of it a little, but hey that's why I'm watching. That and because I want to see how messed up this gets.

Usso's confirmed kill count: 1

He's still got a long way to go before he unlocks that Ace bonus!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Whenever someone asks who's the best Gundam pilot, I always instantly think of Uso. If only ebcause of how resourceful he often proves to be, like when he punched Chronicle out of his Shokew.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Gundam has been having huge problems with kids. AGE, BF and G-Reco were all theoretically aimed at kids. AGE bombed, BF I think largely got Gunota and G-Reco was too Tomino for words.

They wanted that Danball money so bad but kids are like "haha gently caress you, yokai watch time."

Apparently G-Reco was popular with kids and grandmas back in japan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm playing old Super Robot Wars games instead of doing something constructive with my life. The Hi-Nu Gundam is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1COvx55KI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel for Chronicle. he's just a guy who's sister became Queen of the Space Fanatics and he'S trying his best to help her and make the best of a bad situation, but goddamn is he not up to the task. It's like if some random schlob got stuck in the Char chair.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's an Abigor customized to look like the Dunbine from Aura Battler Dunbine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiAvb_XfNM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Seed is merely bland and uncreative. Much like Seed Kira, come to think of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, Usso is easily one of the best pilots. He's practically untouchable and will hit even the dodgiest enemies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Motherfuckin' Wings of Light, yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

tsob posted:

I think the Gerbera Tetra is probably the closest Gundam gets to a sports mecha, if not mecha in general gets to it. It looks like it was designed by Ferrari - though there is also the actual Ferrari Gundam from, I believe, a G manga fan competition.

What about the Recordbreaker?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That's nothing: we almost got Super Robot Wars Alpha back in the days (Dreamcast version), only to be stopped by one company not willing to lend the rights. Just ONE, out of the massive clusterfuck that is the SRW franchise melting pot. You've got three guesses about what company that was, and the first two don't count.

You're right, it was Harmony Gold!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just the feeling we might have gotten more games officially translated if at elast one ahd made it through. Like the OG games.

Of course, I wouldn't care if my grasp of the ajpanese language didn't suck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Srice posted:

Harmony Gold is lame but this has always been a rumor with no evidence whatsoever

WrightOfWay posted:

This is definitely not true at all. Who was even supposed to be bringing it over?

Really? Because it's something I've read on a lot of different articles about the Super Robot Wars series online.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

Any of them source that allegation? Didn't think so. It's been going around long enough that it's accepted as an article of faith.

Aaaah, just like half the information on what's really going on in Evangelion or almost anything about "Tomino once said..."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TNG posted:

ZZ's a funny show, since I am convinced Tomino was having a massive troll-y meltdown that he would only exceed in V Gundam. The title Gundam is this massive chuuni pile of guns and sharp angles, but even today does not quite work at 1/100th or 1/144th scale. And not a lot of the other designs with all their gimmicks do that either. You think the Federation is corrupt and bad? In this one they sell out to Neo Zeon and allow them to drop a colony on Dublin! Neo Zeon itself grows out of the far more restrained Axis remnant as an almost super robot evil empire type bad guy organization. The show literally ends with Judau screaming at how the adults ruin everything. It's like he's taking all the aspects he hates about the Franchise(tm) and all the other the things people expect out of it and moves them up to 11. You want more Gundam? I'll give you the loving Gundam-iest Gundam you've ever had! Honestly the serious parts are sillier to me than the episode where Bright has to catch a Chicken or Moon-Moon.

Ple is also bad and creepy and everything about her is terrible, including Marida Cruz who adds a whole buncha poo poo to the already massive poo poo pile.

Stupid Adults!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymeWdSey-A

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Some brave soul needs to find the entire ZZ dub and post it online.

We all deserve to experience this glory in fullness. We all deserve this.

:agreed:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

Victory is not subtle.

It's also not over yet. :unsmigghh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Why even give her her own arc if you're just going to kill her in the most stupid and pointless way possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A character dying doesn't mean their life was pointless and Marida's arc influenced both herself and those around her, including her death.

I don't think she needed to die but it wasn't like all her development and impact on others vanished when she did.

A character dying doesn't necessarily mean their story arc was pointless, but it needs to be done in a way that furthers the narrative. In Marida's, she learned to live beyong the horror of her past, learned to finally start making her own decisions and reconciles with her adoptive father figure.

She then dies due to another character having randomly become bad. He then feels bad about killing her and joins the good guys. The good guys forgive him, because her ghost tell them too. That's loving garbage. A perfect example of fridging in this day and age. Her entire arc about learning to live is completely eliminated, because they needed RIddhe to feel bad. She could have done nothing in the entire series and it would have had the same impact.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing I adore about Duker is that all of his inventions work, and they're loving terrifying. The wacky motorbike guy was one of Zanscare's greatest military assets.

It's just like he said: by reviving the biking tradition of the middle ages, he has become invincible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Camille is a man's name!

Logicblade posted:

Katejina snapped, and the two replacement shrikes got destroyed. R.I.P. Reinforce's old guys as well, at least they got to go out in a dramatic heroic charge and not get completely wasted doing so. Fake Jin turned out to be an alright guy in the end. The Angel Halo is changing into it's final form, and Usso and Chronicle are having their final dramatic fight. And Katejina just killed the last Shrike team member. And... oh god what, Katejina really thinks Usso and Chronicle are fighting for her love, she is completely bent. Weird would be putting it lightly, it's like Victory just keeps trying to top itself with insane women, but I think Faula still barely takes the cake.

One episode to go. Usso's kill count is 2436. It turns out the Buster Rifle drops mechs like no one's business.

His name will live on and become a legend.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, a more accurate description of the Wing Gundams would be "Robot Masters created by Doctor Wily".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd read/watch a side-story about a squad of Zeon defectors.

Then again, if I was writing a side-story, it would be about a bunch of Zanscare defectors, who realized that Queen Maria is just a puppet and Kagatie is a monster so they join with the League Militaire in their super-cool Zanscare MS.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I binged on UC a long time ago, but from what I remember of all the various generals I hated Jamaican the most. Even the people under his command loathe him.

I hate to be that guy, but "Zeon fans" might exist not because they're secretly Nazi sympathizers or whatever, but because they're the default opposition to a rag-tag crew of snotty teens in space. Especially in the west, where you've got Star Wars and the like making an audience subculture of people who see space battleships and automatically look for whatever is The Dark Side parallel.

Me, I just enjoy the arrival of the eventual super weapon, in whatever form it takes. Space laser, solar reflector array, whatever.

There's a pretty huge overlap in between people who long for the good old days of the Empire and Zeon fans in japan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

closeted republican posted:

The Hizack is one of my favorite Zaku variants. It's big, chunky, and has a gigantic heat hawk. It's a Zaku on steroids that looks like it's going to gently caress you up.

The Federation feels too generic compared to Zeon. Zeon has a lot of eye-catching mechs with vastly-different shaped bodies and cool-looking 70s-style evil uniforms. The Federation has...a billion GM and Gundam varients and uniforms that are boring, WWII-era uniforms and those stupid blue for dudes and pink for girls ones. The X, 00, and AGE Federations are a lot more interesting.

The advantages of Space Hugo Boss working for you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

My favorite UC series are F91 and Victory. I feel ya.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I really want ZZ Gundam back in Super Robot Wars. It would be nice for the ZZ to be the powerhouse it's always deserved to be.

Me, it's the V2. Wings of Light!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

closeted republican posted:

That, and having Char fight Amuro right after Amuro killed M'Quve makes Char feel like a lame opportunist, not the badass he's supposed to be.

So, should I tell him, or... ?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One must separate Char the myth from Char the man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only Char to be a really great pilot is Afranchi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I was mostly speaking of Chars that are Chars (so Char, Full Frontal and Affranchi, msotly), not all the Char Clones. Cause we were talking about the Char.

I really should finish watching that fran-translated audiod rama of Gaia Gear. It was really great. It's just hard to stay focused on audio dramas, I find.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Allarion posted:

I always enjoyed that scene since up to that point, everyone had been fighting to avoid casualties, and then all of a sudden Heero drops in outta the sky ready to blow everything up with his beam rifle, no fucks given, and Relena gives him the OK to fire even though she's in the target zone.

That's perfect Relena though, she's never given any fucks about ehr personal safety before, whether trying to assassinate Lady Une in broad daylight or making a speech calling out the Romefeller Foundation to their face.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only anime I got my mother to watch was Millenium Actress. To be fair, it's one of the best movies ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I agree.

Claiming G-Reco makes no sense is dumb (it makes a non-zero amount of sense), and claiming it makes perfect sense and wouldn't have benefited from more episodes is also dumb (it would have made more sense). For once, the truth is actually in the middle.

In conclusion, for anyone wondering about whether G-Reco is good: watch G-Reco and see if you like it.

There wasn't any problems with the plot though: the pacing problems are mostly due to not getting enough character building moments. :confused: