Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Woo new Gundam thread.

I'd always recommend SEED as a decent first Gundam, but I mean as long as you're not like jumping into the middle of UC, most series are fine points to start. I cannot decide whether I like ZZ or SEED more, but I'd lean towards ZZ because it had some strong character arcs, the main character was a lot of fun, and the ending of it all was just so good.

My favourite Gundam robot would probably be the Gouf. It's menacing, has a god drat whip, and is piloted by some of the coolest people in Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I think it's about time... I stood up to the Victory.

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Yeah I've been progressing through it, on episode 3 now. Silly me thinking the Woowig slaughter was just gonna be offscreen. I'm in for a long ride, aren't I? In a lighter note, the Shokew is really cool! I mean there's no way it would actually work, but a helicopter rotor arm is really cool.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Shakti is kind of disappointing. "Oh no war is coming, maybe if I hide and pretend like it isn't happening I'll be fine." Also I don't think Bespa has heard of these things called war crimes...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Droyer posted:

A thing to keep in mind before you judge Shakti: She's 11

Ok... that's a little more reasonable. Too used to my gundam protagonists being in their late teens, I forget that the Victory cast is actually younger. I'm hoping she grows out of it a little, but hey that's why I'm watching. That and because I want to see how messed up this gets.

Usso's confirmed kill count: 1

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So... when they do they keep the Victory fully formed out of the gate? I mean I get that transforming mechs are cool, but it's just not practical to have a bunch of bottom fighters get destroyed every time you try to dock mid fight. I suppose at least they have the presence of mind to have spares.

Also Zanscare is really trying to hit every villain note right out the gate here, murdering civilians, burning down forests, murdering subordinates, it's a murder party for everyone!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So I just finished episode six... what just happened? Like seriously, what the gently caress?

I just killed two of my own subordinates five minutes ago and now I'm gonna catch that gundam! Oh poo poo the pilot is a kid, I better blow myself up with a grenade, reality is too cruel!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

It just keeps getting better. and by better I mean worse. So much worse. Well I can't say you guys didn't warn me about the guillotine at least.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 2

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Episode 8 was pretty tame, I suppose we needed an 'Amuro is leaving White Base' kind of episode. I don't know if we've got another confirmed kill this episode, but one of those grunts definitely didn't eject the cockpit this episode, so I'll just call it a kill. Anyway that's probably it for me today.

Usso's confirmed Kill Count: 3

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I was always impressed with how rad Marbet got to be despite being saddled with the (vast amount of) baggage associated with being Tomino's female exemplar in Victory. I mean, she keeps getting sidelined by increasingly weird poo poo and subjected to increasingly bizarre subplots and then just shrugs it off and goes back to being (at least) the third-best pilot in the show and kicking ungodly amounts of rear end.

Marbet seems pretty cool. You know she's just ready to kick some rear end, but she never really gets a chance to. Here's hoping she gets a chance to show off before bad things happen to her.

Another two episodes of Victory down. I may have lied, I can't put this down, not yet anyway. I'm sort of interested to see where this Chronicle and Shakti arc is going to, and what Katejina's deal is. I've seen enough Tomino series to know that his women always feel a little off, but Katejina is just hitting that note really loudly right now.

To update Usso's killstreak, he went ham in episode 10. Two blown up Tomliats (and boy do they explode!) and two disabled ones. They didn't show the pilots ejecting, and considering the Shrike team basically had a welcome party on their suits, I'd say it doesn't bode well for their pilots. Also say hello to the Shrike team. I have heard things about them so... I will not be as surprised when they all inevitably die, but I don't know the how, so I guess I can look forward to that. Ha ha ha.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 7

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I don't take offense to it at all, I just wanted to play it safe, since I've been banned on other forums for less. Thanks for the heads up.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So in another epsiode of Zanscare are terrible people, bribing alcoholics to tell them where the LM is hiding out, and then killing everyone in the bar once you did. Good job, excellent work. I heard the Shrike team brought new meaning to the word expendable, but I didn't expect to lose one the episode after she was introduced. Wow. No kills for Usso this episode, but he did get a sweet double takedown with one of the Shrike's before the pilot ejected, and the rest of team got in some healthy mook murdering as well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Regarding the Shrike Team, it's better to guess not when they die, but who survives the longest.

Gonna guess Connie, and she'll make it to episode um... 45. Optimistic, I'm sure. Time to start episode 13, Usso's kill count is still unchanged, but man was he close to scoring a few last episode. Rip Throws Fishman.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I just cleared episode 14, Usso disabled four more mooks, but no confirmed kills. We are already down to half a shrike team, at this rate they'll all be dead before episode 20. Both sides are pretty lovely for using the mass rail driver as a shield, but Zanscare still takes the cake. They're way worse than the Titans have ever been. I'm actually just irrationally angry at Kate's death.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: Still 7

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Docker Iqq is a pretty cool guy. His obsession with motorcycles knows no bounds, but it is rather awesome.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

I like the bad guys in Victory. After all the poo poo that happened in UC, all the big groups killing each other off, the only bad guys left are just the bottom of the barrel, totally insane fuckers.

eh, they had like 50 years to procreate and give rise to more absolute psychopaths. I cleared the clip show recap episode. Looks like we have something to look forward too, since the Zanscare Queen has finally made an appearance. She seems nice, so I bet her bald advisor is basically the worst parts of Rau Le Crueset, Gihren Zabi and Paptimus Scirocco multiplied by three, right?

Also want to say I really liked the space dust episode, it may have been filler, but I always enjoyed the "yes, space is a terrifying place, and you can die at any time" message in it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Welp... Episode 18 cleared. I didn't think they were gonna kill off Shakti, but i guess they did it. Now she, the dog, Suzy and the baby could all still be alive, but being ejected into the cold vacuum of space without anyone knowing about it seems like a death sentence to me. It's like going overboard on a cruise ship, but worse.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Don't worry I'm not, though I really should have done a Shrike Team kill count though, because they're the ones doing most of the cockpit exploding. Usso will engage the mechs, and then boom, Shrike Team potshot kills the sorry bastard. The count is still at 7!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Another episode down, and we finally figured out who Shakti's mom is. The Queen of Zanscare herself. Oh man. Usso was ready to take some heads, but once again reinforcements showed up before he could add some notches to his kill count. I don't know how to feel about Chronicle, he's not competent enough to be threatening, but he's not incompetent enough to be funny either. For the Char Clone of the series, he really only feels like that because he wears a mask on earth. I think that it may be a stretch to call him a Char.

This Gin Gehannam though... who the hell put him in charge of the League Militiare? He's a body double right? He has to be.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Oh man, there have been a few skirmishes this episode, and Usso is back on the board after taking a ten episode hiatus. He shot down three mechs this episode, but one of the pilots ejected before the mech was destroyed. I got to say, Usso is a dirty little cheater, suggesting the use of microwaves to induce nausea. I mean it's clever, but wow. Some weird relationship drama this episode, and Junko's death flag could not be raised any higher at this point. She's probably dead next episode. We'll see if the League can actually take out the Kelas Guilie next episode.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 9

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

This episode was a bloodbath, three mech kills for Usso, and he blew up three support ships as well. I don't know how many kills those count for, but we'll just say two each to make it fair. They didn't look like huge battleships, just the small ones that the Zoloats rode in on. Pretty gutsy strategy to ram their battleship, but it worked like a charm. I'm too used to Legend of the Galactic Heroes where they pulled out axes for close combat battles, but I can admire this one nonetheless. I'm honestly more surprised Junko survived this episode considering how hard they were signaling her death.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 18

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I also hope I like it all the way through, because I like it when I can like things. Liking things is cool.

I mean, regardless of what happens, AGE will still have ridiculously good character and mecha design.

There was a lot I liked about AGE, I hope you enjoy the enjoyable parts!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I've finished episode 22, and Usso's kill count is finally catching up to the episode count. I have to say I really like the Abigor, was the Abigorbine in Build Fighters based off of it? This was a nice little episode, and this might actually be one of my favourite takes on the sympathetic bad guy archetype, even though he's not really that sympathetic in comparison to other people in his archetype, he's a much better dude than the regular Zanscare Rank and File. Two kills today, and he made the Abigor shoot his own team mate, so that's pretty hardcore.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 20

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I've gotten up to episode 25 now, and it's looking like Shakti is going to be a permanent fixture on the Zanscare side now that the world knows she's their princess. It's also looking like Katejina is never coming back to the LM, though she wasn't really much a member to begin with. The fake Jin finally outed himself, there is no way that blowhard could possibly lead a guerilla movement this large. Anyway, now Victory is just taunting us with Shrike team death flags, we know three of them died like 12 episodes ago, so you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and you're teased into it, and it doesn't happen. On the kill count side, Usso destroyed another Zoloat, and hit one guy in the face with one of those finger wires. Considering they're strong enough to wrap up grunt suits, I imagine getting hit in the face by one is pretty devastating, so I'm gonna count it as a kill. The Victory also got kicked in the crotch by the Sandhoge, which was pretty freaking funny.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 22

Let's see if he captures Shakti's mother or not, but we'll do that tomorrow.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Well that plan turned out terribly. Instantly captured, Shrike Team member number 4 is dead, and nearly killed by the guillotine, if not for the help of the other children. And now Katejina is piloting a Zanscare suit and has Usso on the ropes... looks like she's gone full traitor I guess. Fonse really knows how to rile up a crowd, "Pray for your queen, and execute those who would laugh at her with the GUILLOTINE!" I am hoping he get his comeuppance. It won't be soon, but hopefully I can wait 25 episodes for it.

The Kill Count is still at 22.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Ha... ha... ha... Usso has become a destroyer of worlds this episode. He had already destroyed two mechs by the first half of the episode, bu he had to man the cock and balls cannon and fire it himself, destroying at least eighteen Zanscare battleships with it. I don't know how large the crew would be for one of those, but let's give a conservative estimate and say 100 people. That brings Usso's kill count to... 1800, plus 24 previous to that. Welp, I didn't expect him to get that many kills, that's for sure. Also of note, the second last Shrike Team member died. I was right, Connie did last the longest. Now let's see if she can survive another 15 episodes (I seriously doubt it.)

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1824

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

The Gedlavs are just the silliest things... Anyway, Katejina seems to be a frighteningly competent pilot, she's constantly getting the better of Usso to the point where I'm thinking she's actually the Char of the series. Oliver is basically making the biggest death flag possible for himself, so I give him three, four episodes tops before he bites it. The kill count is unchanged, but I saw the preview for the next episode and... I don't think I want to watch it.

Episode 29 whenever I guess.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

And I thought the Tomliats were made of explodium... the Gedlav just destroys everythiing when it goes up. The V2 is looking very slick, I am a fan. I am not a fan of Lupe trying to take a bath with a 13 year old boy... The rest of the episode was cool though.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1825

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Even in a recap episode, Usso does not let up. Six More Zoloats destroyed on the way to the moon, and he got to show off a couple of neat tricks with the new V2 Gundam. But yeah, watch the first half of the episode, the rest is just "oh yeah remember when I did this?" boring stuff.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1831

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

R.I.P. Oliver. Your kamikaze attack was in vain.

Preparing for the end, Usso's Kill Count: 1826.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Oh neat, a new opening! Perfect thing to celebrate Oliver's untimely suicide. I mean death. He got Marbet knocked up and just peaced out, worst father ever. Anyway... we've got a dragon suit! The Doggorla is cool, so cool! It's a chinese dragon... like an actual dragon mobile suit. gently caress you Wufei you don't know poo poo about dragons. I'm blown away by how cool looking it is.

Anyway, the most hilarious moment was "He's having convulsions!" as he's shaking the life out of the poor kid and shoving poo poo into his mouth. I think it was literally poo poo too. It's a shame the Doggorla died so easily, it was cool. It looks like we're going back to earth, this should be fun. Odelo and Tomache are finally piloting mecha of their own, so it means they are now able to plant their own death flags.

Usso's Confimred Kill Count: 1827

Rip Brohho. Your name is literally bros before hoes.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Tomino's women issues are starting to really come to the forefront here. Well... I mean that they are only getting more blatant as we go on. The people say they want to live in a world with Maria's love, but in their actions they so thoroughly deny what they want, it'd be baffling if it wasn't just hypocritical. In the end it's just powerful men exploiting women to further their own agenda, kind of like what would have happened if Paptimus survived Zeta. This... only gets worse, right?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I can't help but feel that the second opening of victory is the producers plea to the viewers. "Don't stop, carry on! We promise there's a payoff to this!" and it's really just to the point where you're just numbed to the shock factor they're going for. However, the mech explosions keep getting more and more ridiculous as time goes on, it's like these suits are literally made of nuclear material. I have no idea what exactly got destroyed in that core explosion, but with the shockwaves it was giving out the answer should have been everything. Onto episode 35.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1828

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

We had a fun little infiltration episode this time around. Usso's mom got to prove she was the most badass woman in the galaxy, Odelo got his time to shine, and even the old dudes in the reinforce got to be sly motherfuckers. Shakti is still naive enough to think she has any power in Zanscare, which is really kind of sad, considering she's been proven wrong twice now. There's something to be said for hope, but failing to do the same thing twice is stupidity. In any case, the boys were able to save Shakti, and the cost of Muller being captured again. I still think Zanscare wins that exchange.

Nothing new on the kill fronts, so I'll plug out another episode.

Episode 36 is a brilliant return to form. Did I say brilliant? I meant soul crushing and aggravating. Usso destroyed a couple of mechs this time around, and help destroyed a dam which surely will lead to catastrophic damage, but not on this battlefield. Anyway, the soul crushing part, because environmental destruction on a massive scale is just a given at this point. The Zanscare have decided to use Muller as a human shield. It works extremely well, so much so that she ends up being decapitated by battleship. Holy poo poo Victory, subtlety is not your game. Anyway, before Usso can completely hulk out on the Adrastea, the Feds and Zanscare sign a cease-fire agreement, stopping the battle abruptly. ... JESUS CHRIST WHY ARE YOU JUST HOLDING HER HEAD... WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress. OH COME ON! My middle finger is so erect right now! This is the worst, I hate this.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1830

Logicblade fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 21, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1832

Core explosions are still ridiculous. Oh, and now people scream when they blow up, tasteful.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Rest in peace, Docker Iqq. You were the best Zanscare had to offer. Ride on into that sunset, you magnificent motorbike aficionado.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Episode 39 might have been a mostly filler episode, but Uso went harder than he ever had before. Thirteen kills, thanks to the superior power of the Wings of Light. We had a nice burial for all of the fallen, and oh boy there have been a lot of them. Twelve episodes to go. Buckling in for a wild ride.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1845

And yes, Docker / Duker / Duke was truly the most important asset to Zanscare's war effort. Though cease fires don't mean poo poo in this universe, lol.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

so how well did those wheels work in outer space? I'm envisioning mobile suits driving along the hulls of battleships.

They actually functioned as highly effective shields, impromptu weapons, and an emergency distraction when the pilots needed it. Not to mention increased mobility, and they come with beam weapons built in. Those wheels were insane.

Speakin of insane, Zanscare has themselves a Satellite Cannon. Well if you're stalling for time to build a weapon of mass destruction, there is not much better, aside from actual nukes, but it seems like Mobile suits already run on them, so this is just covering the bases. Oh never mind, it's one dope rear end mobile suit. Like wow, it's got so much going on, I don't even know. But it's got a sick hoverboard, shoulder that emit laser discs, and a cool looking head. It also seems to induce headaches and lets newtypes hear the bell toll... it's super creepy. I love it. I don't know what my favourite suit is from this series, but whatever this one is is definitely up there with the Shokew, the Doggorla and the Gedlav.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

WHOA! NO! You can't be alive... I saw you get shot out of a missile launcher. They called it exile... you can't... well OK, I suppose if you didn't hit anything you'd be fine, but if they fired you in basically any direction you'd be hurtling out into the vast unknown of space and die from loss of oxygen. What the hell Victory.... Also did they just give us more expendable women on the federation? I'm already anticipating their overfetishized deaths.

In a surprise I'm sure no one saw coming, Usso's dad was actually the leader of the League Militiare all along. I am so stunned. Meanwhile the rear end in a top hat crew has assembled. Pippiniden, Torpedo Girl and the pedophile are all on the same ship now. Joy. Anyway, this angel halo thing... sounds pretty bad. It's like a super powered microwave transmitter or something. It's probably nothing, not with the way the music is swelling dramatically. Anyway, Usso scored four more kills today, we only got to see them from a distance, but the Mega Beam Rifle did work.

The military offhandedly ask Usso how many mechs he's shot down. He's being modest when he says 10 or 15 though, the answer was 45. At least up to that point. His total kill count right now is 1849.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

As you can probably tell by now, oxygen deprivation was not kind to Fuala.

She wasn't all there in the first place, but she's gone from functioning human being with a riding crop fetish to Rosamia level crazy.