Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even though I complain about Beecha as a character, ZZ is the show where Tomino's...uh, full power Tominosity really works for me for some reason. Dunno why it bothers me in G-Reco and Brain Powerd but not in ZZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Whizbang posted:

Lacus was cunning as gently caress during Destiny too, it was just even more behind the scenes. Those assassins that attacked the orphanage were totally hers, not Durandal's. All of Destiny was her scheming behind the scenes to get Kira to clear her path to world domination, and she won.

I know this is the joke theory people put out but I kind of wish it were true.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kanos posted:

It's factually what happens, regardless of writer intent. Lacus leads an insurgent third faction that builds up power and waits in the wings until the EA/ZAFT beat each other into paste and then basically shanks both of them in the belly and takes over the earth sphere. The series pretty explicitly ends with Lacus pretty much ruling all of space and Cagalli pretty much ruling the earth with Kira standing by as the enforcer of the new regime.

Sure, but what about the idea of the assassins actually being hired by Lacus as some kind of false flag operation?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be like if the Zeta Gundam showed up and they gave it to Apolly instead.

Isn't this basically what happens in ZZ though? Not with the Zeta itself, but with giving the Hyaku Shiki to Beecha.

Not that a flaw in ZZ justifies a flaw in Destiny though.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 7, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Other than that, you should watch Turn-A Gundam, since it's hands-down the single best Gundam show.

Eh, that's very debatable. There's like four or five series I'd put above it pretty easily.

It's good though and worth a watch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't really mind Age so much. Last quarter of the show is pretty crap though, and it doesn't really do enough with its core premise.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Their pacing is different, but both Turn-A and G-Reco deal with pretty similar ideas about civilizations that have forgotten war getting ready to start another one, previous societies that have destroyed themselves through war, a more relaxed tone compared to other Gundam shows etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

A lot of people( including myself) are completionist hen it comes to gundam. A lot of people here watched age and destiny after all.

We all have to face it at some point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not Dave posted:

Please tell me I am not the only one that finds IBO incredibly boring for the most part? The characters feel like they barely have anything going for them despite the show actually trying to focus on them instead of wedging in constant fights and the overarching plot feeling nothing special just with gritty modern dressing. At certain points in trying to catch up I had wish I had been watching AGE, because even if AGE is bad at least it was interestingly bad, not just a plod.

I'd by no means call it a bad Gundam, at least not before it finishes and I sit on it for a while (example: I actually hated X when I finished it but I think it's okay now), but I am blown away by the amount of praise it gets.

FWIW I found the first cour to be mostly bland, but I'm really enjoying the second cour a lot so far as things have started actually happening.

IBO is a flawed show for sure, though it is beginning to shine for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It does if you think the EW redesigns are inferior to the originals. :(

They're not like the worst I've ever seen or anything, they just don't do as much for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tallgeese I and the Epyon are like the best robot designs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Epyon is so cool that Megatron based his Transmetal 2 form in Beast Wars on it.

If it's good enough for Megatron it's good enough for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Azran posted:

I just finished watching War in the Pocket. :smith:

Don't worry, the next OVA will have even cooler Mobile Suits!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chuchummy owns. Best goldfish.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oohhboy posted:

I am talking about the guys who got angryannoyed when I said they had a tendency to oversell the hell out of (Everything)Turn A which they did.

Quite a few of the regular of the "Defend Tomino to the death" guys have shown up. Look what 2 1/2 sentences got me. Next thing we know the thread gets frozen again. Fanboys are the worse.

To be honest I think it's less what you're saying and more how you're saying it. Even a comment like "Fanboys are the worst" kind of sets a negative tone for the conversation.

Like I've been critical in Gundam threads too and I think I've even made more or less the same point about Turn A, and there's never been any drama as a result or anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Elle, dear, that isn't how shirts work.

It was the 80's man.

Nothing worked in the 80's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puru-12 is the only Puru I especially like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can Sunrise really afford to do this much Gundam? Re:0096 probably won't be too expensive, but they're still also working on IBO, Origin OVA's, Thunderbolt, and there's those Build Fighters OVA's we haven't seen yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a bummer. I wasn't a huge fan either but that's way too young. RIP.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the biggest thing missing from Try is that the cast never seemed to have much of an overarching goal beyond winning at video games. Their victories never actually meant anything thematically.

Not that I think Build Fighters is especially written well either, but they at least had these ideas about Sei being in his father's shadow and whatnot and wanting to prove himself for specific reasons, and then there was the actual plot and mind control and all that later on. There was also that stuff about the honorable way to play video games I guess with stuff like the Meijin vs. Renato Bros. fight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Beecha's back.
and elle

Fuckin' Beecha man. At least Elle is still around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Ask Quatre about the Heart of Space sometime.

He's a big Space Heart Jerk imo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeon, like the dream, will never die.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basically Char is Che Guevara meets Hamlet, but anime.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've never thought of it before but the Fast and Furious franchise is actually a pretty good comparison to G Gundam. Both have a campy surface but they're also pretty fun and have actual things to say.

I need to get on Giant Robo one of these days... Maybe after I'm done with Ideon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

To be fair, improbable survivals are actually a lot more common in media in general.
Usually these survivals have some form of explanation though, even if it is just magic or whatever.

In comparison SEED has Kira surviving the Aegis' explosion because...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tryon 3 is pretty amazing at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seconding 0080. Make sure to eat a hamburger during the last episode for maximum effect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aren't there like five Gundam characters named with some variation of Jim at this point? Calling the GM's that too feels like a little much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not really feeling that dub, based on that clip at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ka0 posted:

I just found out that Mizutani Yuuko, the voice of Sarah Zabiarov in Zeta (and Excellen Browning in SRW) passed away last Tuesday from cancer at 51. drat.
She was also Carris in Gundam X.

We're all pretty bummed about it in the SRW thread. gently caress cancer.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of want to see an SRW where post-0083 Kou just says "gently caress it" and joins the Titans. Have him be an enemy ace during the Zeta plotline or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I might just be behind on things but apparently episode 3 of The Origin has dropped.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

It did. While I think it is a bit eyerolling how people recoil just from making eye contact with Char, it does a drat good job of painting him as a complete bastard. At times it feels like Garma is the main character and Char is just the antagonist playing him like a fiddle.

Really, really looking forward to the Battle of Loum episode(s).
It was a bit silly, but I still liked it. It kind of reminded me of like, I dunno, terrible Harry Potter fanfiction or something like that where Harry is written as a complete badass that tells off the mean professors and everyone loves him etc., though with a bit more self-awareness since this episode paints Char in an obviously negative light.

Kind of makes the idea that a cult of personality could eventually develop around Char a little more believable to me too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doing it in chronological order is better anyway, otherwise it'd wind up like the manga where it just slams the breaks at Jaburo for a four-volume flashback halfway through the story. It's well-told and all, just should've been at the start from the get-go or maybe it's own prequel thing.
It probably should have just run parallel to the main story in some fashion (Like Lost or something), instead just being plopped in the middle awkwardly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished the equivalent manga chapters to episode 3 of The Origin today, and one thing that immediately struck me is that Char is much more sociopathic in the anime version. The whole subplot of the roommate figuring out that Char is Casval but wanting to serve him still anyways and then eventually getting murdered is an almost complete invention of the anime. In the manga, from what I can tell he's just gay for Char and then is unfortunately killed during the takeover of the Federation base, presumably by Feddie soldiers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know it would be kind of great to have a discussion about Char that isn't about CCA or Zeta for once...

Does anyone actually DEFEND his killing of Garma?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's what's good about The Origin and 0079 though. It's willing to paint its villains as people that do horrible things, and not demons straight out of hell to kill our heroes.

Contrast that to even a good movie like Saving Private Ryan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

To be fair, I'm avoiding Destiny. And also I watched all of AGE. I should be fine? Maybe?
Every /m/an must face their Destiny eventually...you cannot avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AGE also had the Vagan mecha designs and I think a lot of those genuinely looked really good.