Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Sharkopath posted:

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

Oi, that's a Command, not a Cold Districts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

0080 has the best mecha design in all of UC, and the opening fight scene is one of the best Gundam fight scenes ever. :3:

Zeek detected.

I have a laundry list of issues with the opening regarding the absurd level of jobbing by the GMs, particularly this scene. Brace for butthurt.

There's the GMs that teleport behind cover between shots so that they can't just fill the Hygogg full of lead during its dumb slide, the animation error where one of the GMs loses its shield, the GMs having the reaction times of a brain-damaged snail, the fact that the grabbed GM just sort of goes limp and doesn't move a muscle, and the fact that his buddy firing on him without making any attempt to shoot anything but the middle of the Hygogg didn't even hit the cockpit meaning the GM had a solid 5-10 seconds where he could have maybe tried to do something about the Hygogg grabbing his face...

0080's battles are incredibly one-sided other than the last one and it makes them really boring to watch. Particularly the scene with the Kampfer. Some idiot decided to deploy all of the GMs from the air so that they'd damage the colony if they fired at the Kampfer, meaning the Kampfer gets to just sit back and shoot while they can't attack him at all.

Fighting brain-dead opponents doesn't make you impressive, it makes you actively less impressive. If your opponent is competent then you look good when you beat them. If they aren't fighting back at all you look bad because the hand of god is clearly on your side. Muh GMs.

Reds fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 19, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Your way works too posted:

This is a small thing but the GM goes limp when the Hygogg grabs it because the Hygogg shoots the GM in the head at the same time. You can see it in the GIF. The bullet hole does disappear after that shot though, which makes things more confusing.

Yeah but the pilot doesn't sit in the head, it sits in the chest and the first thing you're going to do if somebody grabs you is at the very least flail.

The message of 0080 aside, since it is the only series so far to successfully avoid "war is hell, but look at these robots aren't they cool", but the opening scene up until they reach the GM guarding the rocket and the first space fight with the Gelgoog Jager are clearly just meant to be regular entertaining action scenes, and they're not good at that. I think it's overthinking it to go "no, they intentionally sucked".

If you want to speculate wildly these fights both take place before Al has had the chance to move beyond the "but look at the cool robots" phase. I think if you wanted to take the action in a subversive direction which isn't glamourous at all 0080 could've done a better job.

I'd rather have 0080's good story than better action scenes anyway. 0080 is the only of the three UC OVAs that doesn't have a plot that falls apart. 0083 with its director switch, and 08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

08th MS Team's romance even ignoring its impact on the plot bugs me a lot because neither of them know each other. They've interacted with each other for less than two hours, possibly less than an hour by the time they declare their undying love for each other. They don't know a drat thing about each other at that point.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

Gundam ZZ actually predates the moe fad. I an terribly sorry, but not everything can be blamed on cute girls. Also please don't use the term "psycho-bitch"

Just because she predates the official concept of moe doesn't mean she doesn't qualify for all of the criteria. And people are extremely willing to forgive a character's often extremely negative traits based on whether or not they think they're cute regardless of the era.

In any case Neo Zeon were kind of crazy in pretty much every area.

Reds fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

Please do not post your essay on why moe is bad in the Gundam thread

Puru was irritating and she happened to line up with the concept of moe. That's all there is to say on the matter.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

You can give justifications for why she was like that but isn't going to change the fact that I found her annoying. Hint: saying that I didn't like her doesn't mean I think she was a "bad" character in the sense of being poorly written.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 21, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Unicorn takes Newtype magic to a new extreme, and that's saying something considering stuff like the Axis Shock.

The Axis Shock is a miracle that happens due to the collective will of humanity. Banana can block a colony laser and disable hundreds of mobile suits with a literal hand wave because he has a magical robot.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:
Victory: prototype.

Uso's Victory was not a prototype, it was the first off the assembly line.

I mean, the first place they go to is the manufacturing plant for it and get a bunch of spare parts for it. Oliver arrives in a second core fighter. It just takes a while for the other mass-produced ones to show up and Oliver never properly assembles his because the main character has to be the only one to use a Gundam for as long as possible.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't like Zeon fans specifically because mainstream OYW-era Zeon are space Nazis, so I'd rather we have a bunch of UC material that makes the conflict less Manichaean so that unapologetic Zeon fans can stop being so creepy. Hopefully IGLOO is more this and less "space Nazis rock!"

I realise I'm inverting cause and effect, here. :v:

Igloo makes them even more space nazi, particularly in the uniforms, if that's even possible.

Igloo does adhere to the "regular soldiers are normal people" that's been standard since 0079.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I think I hated the Titans more than I ever hated Zeon. Stuff like beating up Bright just showed they were petty thugs. Zeon might have been evil but you can still respect evil if it's intelligent or determined enough. Nobody respects brainless brutes, however.

The Titans felt like a bunch of high-school bullies and jocks, and most of their battles went "oh poo poo the AEUG is here, find a colony to hold hostage or try to gas". Considering how Emma and that one guy later in the series don't even know what they're actually doing and what the objectives of their superiors are, it makes you wonder just how many of the Titans mooks are dying thinking they're working for an actual cause.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The Origin only has CG because the director specifically requested it. So blame that rear end in a top hat.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I don't really see why I can't look at the "war is bad" message and the "giant robots fighting is cool to watch" part separately.

The action part is meant to entertain, I don't think it diminishes the intended message. But it's a little hard to go "war is glamourous" because that's not accurate, it's "people fighting using giant colourful robots having stylish fights is cool".

Maybe that's just me. Maybe lots of people don't get the same disconnect and that's why you get people who say stuff like "why doesn't shinji want to get in the robot, what a pussy" after watching Evangelion, people who are unable to look past the "robots are cool" part of a mecha show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

Try is also an acceptable alternative.

Try is the biggest load of garbage, it was painful to watch.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I really dislike Try myself but if all you want is fights and don't care about characters or context it might work for you. It doesn't have anywhere as good a fight lineup as BFclassic but it has something.

Try's action was awful. The budget was non-existent and the Build Burning's fighting style consisted entirely of finishers and incredibly thick plot armour.

The one time he fought an opponent who could cancel his finishers he flopped over like a dying fish. He didn't even attempt to throw a single normal punch.

Allarion posted:

To be fair, I got my friend into watching Gundam through Try, because he was a fan of G Gundam. We watched the episodes of Try that were available at the time, and then went back to watch the first season.

Were you trying to make your friend hate Gundam? Hopefully watching the first season undid the damage.

Here's what you do if you insist on watching Try: You watch the first episode, then you watch Minato's debut episode with the SDs, then skip to Snapfit Simon's episode, then you skip to Tryon 3, then you watch the final episode and you pretend that there was a good show inbetween those episodes. This is the best way to watch Try because the other episodes will make you hate the main characters and their rivals.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 11, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Every time anyone brings up the fact that G-Reco's pacing and plot might have been less than perfect, you have people rushing in to call them idiots because they were obviously too stupid to pay attention. It gets really old really fast.

You are engaging in an obnoxious viewership-war built on the do-you-or-do-you-not-have-trouble-following-it in divide, in which you pick a side and then set up a bunch of ridiculous strawmen representing the other side. Stop. It didn't need to live on past the show's airing.

Just skip straight to the "watch it yourself and decide" part next time.

Reds fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 11, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

It does seeem like a lot of peoples problems with G-reco come from them not paying attention, or being stupid, tho.

The extreme shitposting comes from the fact that many people who didn't get it tended to take it as a personal insult, particularly when told "well maybe you weren't paying attention properly".

Which then led to "anybody who likes it/understands it is a pretentious faux-intellectual who is lording it over you. and who may also be only pretending to understand it".

That's the people who like to complain loudly anyway. Obviously not speaking for all people who watched it. Just the loud ones.

I didn't have a single problem following the show and I cannot understand what people found hard to follow so I find it difficult to empathize with people who couldn't follow it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

King Gainer is a very fun show and it's much more straightforward and understandable than G-Reco, the plot is quite simple as well. The first couple of episodes are deliberately very hectic, though.

I never really had any problems following G-Reco, but I survived Brain Powerd which has a genuine case of depriving the viewer of information by just never saying it at all and is way weirder and more Tomino than G-Reco, so I'm biased.

If you just want to have a fun experience watch King Gainer or Xabungle.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Not any more! The Origin makes him Mexican, which is nice.

The Origin is also not in the main UC timeline so Mexiro is not canon. Canadian pride Earthsphere wide.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Never forget the Big Rang, which is a Bigro strapped to an ammunition factory for battlefield restocking.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

Quattro Vagina

jamitov hymen

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I want the rest of The Origin to be animated because I don't care about Char, the White Base parts are the good part and are very good, and the GM finally gets the love it deserves.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I'm only okay with CG Origin if they get Orange to do it.

Otherwise get Studio 1 or 8 to animate it because they draw the good mecha. I suppose Studio 8 is stuck in the Love Live mines after Buddy Complex tanked.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

When I see the words "english cover of gundam song" I instant recoil in horror, but this guy is actually pretty good from the two songs I've heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJ85kttgA4

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, you should always buy none of the Zakus.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It leaked ages ago.

Also if you aren't reading Gundam Sousei then get the gently caress out of my face until you are.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Erg posted:

E: I guess I should share some thoughts on the ending. I thought it made sense that everyone just dropped fighting once the commanders were killed. Most of the ones left didn't have a huge stake for glory or anything like that.

I thought it was weird they never said if the people from Towasunga were going to continue trying to take the earth back. Their 3 commanders getting blown the gently caress up dissuaded them I guess.

I was confused by the Venus Globe G-IT group. They all seemed hyper ready for some bloodshed, but the remaining girl was relieved when Bellri spared her and called a ceasefire. I was honestly expecting her to try a sneak attack.

The idea seems to be that pretty much everybody who was pushing the war died, and the command structure fell apart or decided to call it off and negotiate.

The G-IT guys were hyped for battle, but as with the moon captain (Dorette? it's been a while) once they went "oh poo poo people i care about are dying this was a mistake" their motivation dried up. Didn't one of the G-ITs literally piss themselves in fear at some point?

Think of it like WW1. Everybody is hyped to go off and show those foreign savages what-for and it's been so long since there's been a war that people are just not treating it with the gravity it demands.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It probably would've been funnier if Klim yelled I'M NOT DEAD over the speakers and then done it.

He didn't die anyway.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The pacing is extremely fast, they're blitzing through this to squeeze as much fight in as possible.

And geez, only sixteen minutes, not even eighteen, the last two minutes are the credits.

And reprint the Thunderbolt line already, Bandai! They didn't reprint them this month despite the OVA releasing. If they don't do it next month I'll be confused.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

There are very few Gundam protagonists who have as bad a series of days as Kamille does. You have to get into the traumatized child soldier set before you even get close.

Kamille hasn't got poo poo on Uso's level of trauma, which says a lot about Victory Gundam. Kamille has a bad start which mostly levels out, Uso starts bad and gets worse.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Logicblade posted:

Usso is basically a hardened veteran with no regard for human life by the end of Victory.

Uso is single-handedly responsible the deaths of thousands of Zanscare soldiers by the end thanks to that anti-ship cannon he fired that one time. His killcount is incredibly high even without it.

Plus he's one of the most creative and quick-thinking pilots in all of mecha anime. He goes through more legs than Amuro does shields.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, the bad guys from what I have seem in some moments seem to make Zeon look....efficient? good at their job? the gently caress?

Zanscare are the most crazy out of the UC Gundam factions. They're completely insane.

As it turns out giving independence to the colonies was a bad idea because with they keep installing monarchies and cults as their leaders.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

And then he kicks people with a Guncannon and pushes them off cliffs.

In The Origin he clotheslines a Zaku and sticks with his Guncannon until the end, calling the GM a piece of poo poo and remaining faithful. And that's in The Origin, where the Guncannon isn't a Project V suit and is a mass produced piece of poo poo inferior to the Zaku 1.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She does in The Origin (she's instrumental in the victory at Solomon, because she breaks into the fortress and starts a civil war between the Deikun and Zabi factions), so I guess we'll find out what Bandai thinks if they do a Zeta retelling like they were planning to at one point.

Well, there is Zeta Define. It's not very good.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

So is Katejina just some internet friend of Uso's or something?

Far as I can tell that's basically it. I can't remember if they ever met in person prior to the series.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Zeon kinda lost the whole morally superior ideals thing when they killed billions of spacenoids for their noble cause. I mean, nobody even likes Zeon in 0079, whenever we see other colonists they aren't huge fans of Zeon. Then there's stuff like Zeon booting people out of an entire colony in order to hollow it out and make a superweapon out of it on top of the wanton slaughter stuff.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I guess people see "freedom for spacenoids!" and don't bother to look into the pool of atrocities and poor representation that's a mile deep and has a giant neon sign saying "literal space nazis" sticking out of it.

If Zeon was in charge, other than Gihren's loving master race plan to the point where his own dictator father compared him to Hitler, I can't see much changing.

And considering that in the Late UC, where the Federation started to lose power and wasn't properly supervising the colonies, the two villain factions are a monarchy and a loving cult, spacenoids shouldn't be trusted with anything and it turns out your soul not being weighed down by gravity is a metaphor for going insane.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing about Greco was how angry people got when Nils wrecked his face.

Nils is a filthy goddamn cheater, that's why.

Funnily enough, Nils fails to ever really look like a good pilot outside of cheating via plavsky magic because his Gundam was a pain to animate, so he barely moves.

The whole plavsky manipulation stuff tends to come off as more engine exploits thanks to its extremely poorly defined nature. Overall as a result Nils is presented as a mediocre pilot who has abused the system to make himself as invincible as possible instead of fighting clean or clever.

Of course, you aren't meant to think that. After Try it's kind of hard to not hate the whole concept. It's like if people were playing e-sports with console commands and glitch exploiting.

Reds fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 16, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The actual reason is because the Tallgeese is cooler. The rest is just window dressing.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm very curious to hear how Nils cheats.

He channels the particle that powers the game in order to make things explode when he touches them. The only way to defeat him was to put superglue over the Build Strike's fist so he couldn't touch the plastic. How is that a fair fight?

The rest is a big dumb argument over whether or not plavsky manipulation is fair or not that doesn't really go anywhere so I'll drop the point because I'm being petty. I find it more interesting if they're mixing and matching stuff from existing Gundam series instead of inventing new superpowers that weren't programmed into the game.

It got way out of control in Try though. Like most things.

Reds fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Going to watch Turn A, but skipping the full series for the compilation movies as I suspect I am not going to like the show.

There is a reason why people don't talk about the compilation movies as a reasonable alternative to the series.

Reds fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 16, 2016