Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The more I play the mobile game the more I feel like I should just start playing Gundam Breaker 3 again. It's kind of fun having such limited parts though. I threw together some Gundam and various GM parts to make a pretty good Gundam Ground Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I heard a mostly mediocre to negative things about Reconguista but drat I love the look of the G Self.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

G Gundam has the best first episode in all of Gundam. Dude beats the poo poo out of some angry wop while yelling at him about a photograph.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I only know UC Gundam through games and a few episodes here and there, but just watched the original series compilation movies on Netflix. Because I want to experience a ton of Gundam before the world ends. I’m tired of being a fake Gundam guy who has only seen G Gundam, Wing, Turn A, part of some ZZ bootleg DVDs with incomprehensible translations, and 08th MS team.

My take on newtypes is at first I thought they were adapted to space so they could orient themselves better and maybe had some ESP, then they were magic and it was less cool. Also this guy Char sucks, he’s portrayed so cool and noble in so much media but he is a bad person.

Oh well time to order the Z blurays from rightstuf and maybe I’ll like newtypes more.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I have not seen The Origin, but Garma didn't seem awful and Char absolutely betrayed Garma. Degwin killed Zeon Zum for the power of it, then let Gihren do all kinds of war crimes so he's trash. Gihren loves war crimes and is cartoonishly evil. Kycilia seems to just be in it for gaining power and influence, so she is probably about as bad as Degwin.

Ramba Ral owns though. I have no idea why he works for the Zabis since he seems to know the truth about Degwin and Zeon Zum, but he's a good guy.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I picked up the TV version of Z, don’t worry. I hear they change the ending to make it no longer make sense within the larger UC universe so I stayed away.

Also my take on the movies of 0079: Sleggar Law sucked until he suddenly rules, dude loved that Hamburger. Kai really grew on me too. Amuro’s dad sucks. Amuro’s newtype ability to make women he gets a crush on die is super weird, it’s a good thing he wasn’t into Fraw. I’ll probably watch the full series at some point.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

My Zeta Gundam order came in, turns out I ordered the first half of the series on bluray and the second half on dvd. Oh well, this series is as old as I am so I doubt the quality difference will be that bad.

Gonna start watching it tomorrow night, hell yeah.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite Gundam. Great characters, story and music.

Are you a dub or sub person?

For short series or movies I usually go for subs, but with long series I’ll go for dubs so I can multitask. Too little time for all the things I’m trying to do, sadly.

I may actually catch up on my gunpla building while watching zeta.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Just finished the third episode of Zeta Gundam. These Titans seem real awful! Like, worse than anything I saw Zeon do in the 0079 movies.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Gundaminfo just put up the Reconguista movies on their youtube channel. Guess I have something else to watch this weekend.

Also I’m now up through episode 5 of Zeta. This guy Jerid is the biggest dumbass ever. What kind of apology was that? You don’t insult someone immediately after apologizing dude. Kamille’s dad is awful, his mom seemed kind of bad too, no wonder he’s been a prick so far. Oh well at least this Emma girl seems nice.

This Quattro guy sure does seem to give people Char vibes, knows a lot of the same people too. I guess he must be that Johnny Ridden I’ve heard so much about.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Also he looks like Beavis. Is there a Jerid as Beavis dub?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you think of Kamille so far? He is, as far as I've seen, the most divisive Gundam MC in that you either love him or you hate him.

But goddamn, no other Gundam hero makes a first impression like Kamille Bidan. I'll never forget when I first watched Zeta and recounted all the insanity he got up to, and somebody on here said 'if Kamille didn't go with the AEUG he would have found the nearest tower, climbed it with a bag full of guns, and let loose." These Phantom Thieves in Persona 5 don't know what it means to be a true Angry Teenager.

Kamille is my favorite Gundam MC.

Kamille’s behavior in the first two episodes was baffling, I had no idea what his problem was. But after meeting his parents and the fact that he has clearly been bullied regarding his very manly name, I kind of get why he’s a poo poo. That plus being an angsty teenager means I can’t hate him. Oh and being opposite Jerid who sucks so drat much makes him look cool by comparison.

I think I like Kamille about as much as Amuro, which is to say he is a poo poo but for understandable reasons. War is hell. I’m still only through episode five, we’ll see how it goes.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I watched the first G-Reco movie and it’s very enjoyable. I really like the weird mobile suit designs, it’s a real shame the gunpla didn’t sell well because I love all the grunt suits. Especially the ones with TV looking heads.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember years ago they played a Gundam fighting game on Game Grumps and Big Sam became a minor meme. I always imagined Big Zam was a much bigger deal in it's source show but then it ends up blowing up an episode after it's introduced. RIP Dozle, you murdered half the humans on Earth.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 rules. Entirely because I love the look of the layered sprites mobile suits and armors. Also Shiro pilots a Ball and if you somehow win, he will always say “Even a ball can do it”.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

My Zeta watch update, finished episode 25:
Four was a better Lalah. Her arc in the show has not been done justice in the games I've played. Psycho Gundam seems dumb, doesn't really do much. It's just big.
The Titans continue to be just comically villainous, it makes no sense that they would get any amount of power or loyalty. Jerid is the biggest dumbass, except for Jamaican who is somehow dumber.
This Scirocco guy is a big improvement when it comes to enemy leaders because he doesn't come off as an absolute dumbass incapable of getting anything done except murder.
Kamille can still act like a brat so it's really funny every time he tells off Katz for being a brat. He's getting better, though.
I still love that Quattro has never once managed to make anyone think he is anyone other than Char for even one minute.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Witch of Mercury is going to be a magical girl gundam show.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Finally finished up watching Zeta Gundam today.

Character hot takes, spoilers for a forty year old cartoon:
Kamille was alright, it took until around the conclusion of the Four subplot for me to like him, but I guess that's because he actually developed as a character.
Four was a much better Lalah, and I feel like they could have kept her around longer and just not included Rosamia. Or gave Rosamia more of a backstory to what was up with her aside from 'another cyber-newtype that is unstable'.
Sarah seemed cool, since she wasn't unstable I guess she was a real newtype and not a cyber newtype?
Katz sucked even more than Jerid and I'm glad this dumbass kid died like a chump.
Jerid sucks a whole lot, and went out hilariously easy every time he showed up. Died the way he lived. It's hosed up that Mouar was into him, she seemed way too cool for him.
Reccoa is dumb as hell, dumber than Jerid. I have no idea what her motivations were, even factoring in Scirocco using mind control to influence her.
Emma having been introduced and immediately becoming every character's favorite person made me think she would die way, way sooner. I almost thought she'd survive the show considering how long she lasted.
Henken went out like a boss.
Quattro Bajeena was a cool guy, he should really talk to that guy Char and set him straight sooner!
Scirocco was a pretty compelling villain since he seemed way less evil than the Titans, but was still a very lovely person who was clearly using some newtype powers to influence the minds of people. I was incredibly surprised that he actually gave a poo poo when Sarah died, I thought he was just a cold manipulator but he seemed more upset than if he had just lost a tool.
Haman is hosed up for manipulating Mineva the way she is, but I still like her. No clue why she hero worships the Zabi family but I'm guessing that gets explained.
Yazan rules.

Other thoughts:
Kind of weird that the Zeta Gundam itself doesn't show up until halfway through the series, but it's fine. It's got a cool design. Actually pretty much all the robots have great designs in this one, way stronger designs overall than the original series. The Titans still don't really make sense to me as such a powerful force while being so openly evil, they're clearly supposed to be a shadowy organization pulling strings behind everything but they seem super upfront about everything at the same time. I'm sure there's some UC series that makes this more clear.
The final episode just sort of ends right after the climax with hardly any resolution or explanation, very weird. Then I looked it up and it basically went straight into ZZ after a one week break so I guess it's fine.

Overall a way more enjoyable watch than MSG.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I’m starting ZZ now, just finished episode 0 which was actually the best explanation of how the UC universe works they’ve had so far. Not sure if I’m in the right form anymore, since this isn’t anime.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

G Gundam is top tier as a dub entirely because of Domon and Master Asia going way too hard 100% of the time.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I finally got around to finishing ZZ. I started my Gundam series watch-through in like December but took a break.

Anyway here are my ZZ thoughts, spoiler tagged in case anyone is concerned about it

Beecha is a massive tool and doesn't get the redemption arc that Kai does. I have no idea why people were letting him play around as captain, he's awful at it. Elle deserves better. Mondo at least becomes a team player.

You could probably trim down the series by half and I wouldn't have noticed because so much of it feels like filler. The moon-moon stuff is filler but I kind of like it.

Glemmy is also a massive tool and Beecha should have defected to Glemmy, they are both poo poo-heads that seem like they would get along.

Chara Soon rules.

Elpeo Ple is a really awful romanization of that poor girl's name. If there is a God in the UC universe then they must really hate everything to do with her.

Anyway ZZ wasn't too bad, probably not as good as Z but not as bad as I had heard.

I guess next I'll finally watch Char's Counterattack!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Finally watched Char’s Counterattack. I oddly have more opinions about it than I did with ZZ.

Char’s characterization here seems consistent with 0079, but he seemed to have grown into an almost decent person in Zeta. He’s confirmed to be incredibly manipulative so I guess that was all a front?

Quess’s arc happens way too fast and just makes her seem severely mentally ill. There’s just not enough time in a movie this length to do what I think they were trying to do with her.

Hathaway knew Quess for like half a day and was so obsessed with her that he stole a mobile suit to try and save her and was so mentally broken from her death (while she tried to kill him) that he murdered Chan?

RIP Astonaige I guess someone had to die from a random bullet

My headcanon is that Char used some newtype charisma ability to manipulate Quess, and Quess used that same thing on Hathaway and Gyunei. It’s the only explanation for these weird immediate obsessions.

The art and animation were fantastic, some of the best I’ve seen. I’ll watch it again and then watch Hathaway.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I just watched Hathaway and it was unbelievably good. What the gently caress. The first half was better than the second half but the whole thing was solid. I always love me some ‘from the ground’ giant robot fights.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Reconguista has the best mech designs. I love the G-Self, but I know it isn’t to everyone’s taste.

However the Grimoire is indisputably the best grunt suit. That thing looks so god drat cool.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Just watched that first Thunderbolt movie, since Gundaminfo put it up a few days back. It ruled. Super cool and really got that 'horrors of war' thing down well. The tech seems a bit more advanced than what was actually available during the one-year war, but maybe the beams were that powerful and I'm just forgetting.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

My Gundam marathon continues. I've now watched War in the Pocket.

Really great intro, excellent action scene there. Kampfer was cool for all five minutes it was in the show. Bernard is a real bro. Christina is a real bro. Really strong last episode, great finish.

But Al sucks a lot and so the middle really drags. It also felt pretty dated, these days the action scenes would absolutely have been done from a low to the ground, looking up at the suits angle to make it seem bigger and scarier. I did like that Al's war trauma was 'just' losing a cool older brother figure and having his neighbor friend move away. Gundam often tends to go way too hard on the horrors of war.

Honestly wishing I would have watched this before watching Hathaway and Thunderbolt, I think my opinion would be much higher since those both get into the weeds of war bad as well.

Next up, I'll be tuning into 0083.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I don’t care for Al but I wouldn’t want him removed. I liked his relationship with Bernie, I just think he was too much of a little poo poo until right near the end. The biggest weakness of Al is he is a cocky little poo poo and a liar when introduced. Makes it hard to root for him when he’s mean to everyone including his two friends.

That said, Al is like seven so he gets a pass for being a cocky liar. Kids do that. It’s not unrealistic, and it does make for a good contrast to how he is at the end of the series. I also get that him not having a close relationship with his parents or his schoolmates makes his relationships with Christina and Bernie more significant. But he never endeared himself to me and I think his arc could have been done better. I wanted to like 0080 more than I did.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

That summary is interesting but like, are there really Zabi stans out there? I absolutely get supporting Garma and even Dozel, but Kycillia is pretty awful and only looks half decent because of Gihren being the absolute worst.

I get in universe Zabi family supporters since I can imagine they hid how awful they were from average folks, but out of universe Zabi fans?

gently caress the Zabi, Zeon Zum Deikun did nothing wrong (other than not smothering Casval in his sleep).

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

They should do a sequel anime to F91, about what the Crossbone Vanguard are up to. Maybe they have their own pirate themed Gundam.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Newtypes don't proliferate because people's souls are still weighed down by gravity. People in UC keep hanging out on Earth, then they go over to Jupiter (tons of gravity!!) and that's why newtypes continue to be rare.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Watching these G-Reco movies since I’ve only seen the first one. It is an absolute crime that the G-reco line of gunpla apparently didn’t sell well. The Recten looks so fun to customize with its TV head, and the Grimoire is the absolute best looking grunt suit ever. I even like the G-Self a lot, though I absolutely can see why some don’t.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

GBA2 owns so hard, they need another one with this art style.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I am basic as hell so I’m still convinced the Gundam Musou games are the best Gundam games. You can choose Laura Rolla as your pilot in one of them!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Rightstuff had a Gundam sale earlier in the week and I almost bought Wing on bluray, but with that trailer I’m holding out hope that they do a neat new collector’s edition.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Dorothy's eyebrows are the strongest character in all of Gundam.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I also finished 0083 and it was good but like, everyone gets done dirty. Nina gets done dirtiest by awful writing though.

Arc Hammer posted:

Kou might not have been looking for a love affair but he felt the magic when he touched Kelly's hair. It was more important than a one night stand, Kou felt the magic when he touched, touched his hand.

This is an excellent post.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Kamille has to suck because he is constantly up against people who are even worse than he is, and if he was cool then you wouldn’t quite get just how badly Jerid sucks. Kamille also grows quite a bit just in time to get owned, too.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

They said it was because he stole the Dendrobium and accomplished basically nothing while also severely damaging it. Realistically he was distracting Gato which means Gato wasn’t taking out even more feddies so I think Kou was reasonably effective, especially if you consider their respective skill level and experience.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The Wodom owns but my fav suit is either the Grimoire or Gundam Ground Type. Or Tequila Gundam.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Zeon’s initial position of the colonies being oppressed by the Earth Federation really falls apart when you look at how much worse the Zeon treated their fellow colonists. Like I don’t care how much gravity weighs down your soul, there’s no justification for Zeon’s atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

That’s just how witches dress on Mercury, hope this helps.