Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Namtab posted:

Amuro was jewish?

Amuro haws a jewfro, but Judau is way more Jewish than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Don't make me post images of Paula's terrifying eyes and perfectly-round head.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Droyer posted:

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

I enjoy silly things like the Zakrello and the aquatic Zeon MSes but the G-Armor and its gimmick never did anything for me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Victory is way too long for me, considering the content. I could go through a 26-episode series where everyone not named Usso or Shakti dies at some point, but 52 episodes is way too much for me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want someone to mix Usso with the WWE's Uso Brothers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I also hope I like it all the way through, because I like it when I can like things. Liking things is cool.

I mean, regardless of what happens, AGE will still have ridiculously good character and mecha design.

I'm not a fan of AGE's character design, but then again I love the 80s cheese in ZZ's character design and the 90s animeness of X's character design, so maybe I'm just weird. :shobon:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Zeta's problem is the really uneven pacing and how it flounders in the middle for a bit. I have no problem with the characters; they're interesting to watch. There's a lot of stupid stuff, like the Titans being unable to find Team Kamille's ship docked in Hong Kong, even though their ship isn't hidden and could easily be found and wiped out with the Psyco Gundam instead of having the Psyco rampage through Hong Kong to make them surrender, Four being resurrected, Reccoa's stupidity, and that weird filler episode where Paptimus and the Argama race to Granada with the first dude that gets there being able to take it over, but I can easily excuse it because I'm easy to please.

That's not to say I dislike it; it's one of my preferred series, but it is a quite bumpy ride.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

Lupe is part of Tomino's weird women issues he was airing out with Victory, specifically the belief that the most sacred and important duty a woman can ever accomplish is giving birth to and nuturing new life. Lupe wants Usso to be a sort of adoptive son for her since she never had a child.

(The Shrike Team are basically an entire group of surrogate moms for Usso that exist to die protecting and helping him, to add to the show airing out this belief)

IIRC, that's also why tragic Cyber Newtypes are girls in Tomino's works; it's him saying "Wow, these dudes are so hosed up they're making women, the creators and nurturers of life, into neurotic killing machines! Aren't these guys really evil warmonglers or what?"

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here lies Bernard Wiseman

0060-0079

He lived like he died:
a liability

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think it' funny how Elepo Ple is the standard "uguu so cute ^_^" Gundam character among fans that attracts all the pedos, but in the actual show she's a genuine psycho-bitch that opened fire with funnels while on an occupied playground in Axis, attempted to murder Leina in cold blood while Leina was suffering from an untreated gunshot wound, and is the type that would attack you with an axe she dug up in the garage if you didn't pay attention to her all the time. Judau's reasoning for letting her join the team feels like it's basically "Oh god, she's nuts. Better play along with her or else".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Droyer posted:

Please do not post about pedophiles in the Gundam thread

Well someone is going to post about Glemy Toto eventually, so...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

I've watched ZZ through twice and I don't understand what you think makes Puru "creepy". The closest thing to "creepy" involving either Puru is that scene where Glemy is talking to a naked Puru 2, and even that scene isn't "Glemy the pedophile macking on the little girl clone", it's "Glemy literally doesn't consider the Purus to be human beings so he has no respect for their boundaries" since this is the same character who would fall all over himself blushing at Roux sparing him a look. Any weird pedophile readings of the character are strange to me.

Puru is a child who received no education or socialization on how to behave in human society and instead was taught to kill and destroy things with a mobile suit. To add on to this, she's a newtype who can constantly feel and respond to the emotions of everyone around her at all times and for her entire childhood was surrounded by people who think "Yep it sure would be cool to turn this kid into a weapon so we can gently caress those Feddie bastards over" or "Man it's gonna be sweet when Haman takes over the world" during her most malleable developmental stages. This means that she's selfish, sociopathic, and doesn't actually understand how to properly empathize with other people despite being a newtype. Judau is the first character she ever meets who attempts to treat her like a human being. I find her to be an OK different take on the cyber newtype girl trope because she's not just "woo I got cyber newtype implants now I get big headaches all the time and I'm loving crazy!!!!"

Marida's backstory, on the other hand, is pretty much just gratuitous nonsense to attempt to shock the reader.

Your explanation doesn't excuse her behavior. When your intro to a character includes her firing willy-nilly inside a civilian area with a fancy newtype mobile suit, one of the conflicts in ZZ's wham episodes being Judau trying to talk her down from murdering a wounded Leina, and her character is basically "homicidal little sister from hell", it's kinda hard not to see her as pretty drat weird, insane, and creepy. "Neo Zeon abused her" doesn't justify "attempted to kill the MC's sister by choking her to death because Ple was jealous".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Droyer posted:

Then I will. This is exactly what I mean when I say the old thread had the same repetitive argument over and over. Either say something new or change the topic of conversation.

p.s. This isn't directed towards you specifically Kanos, but I feel I have to put my foot down now.

Okay then: Char is a misunderstood, poorly-plotted, pedophile, and psycho-bitch that caused everyone in Wing to go crazy, used the magic T to stop Axis, caused Unicorn to be superflous, ruined CCA's pacing, made G Gundam the best anime of all time, mandated a fight per episode, rewrote the history books so that Zeon did nothing wrong, and generally made Gundam a terrible franchise that has only one or two salvagable shows in it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Seriously, what is with all the hilarious character names in Gundam? The characters with relatively normal names are way outnumbered by the ones with absolute gibberish names or bizarre double entendres or both (looking at you Jamitov Hymen).

quote:

Fixx Bloodman teams up with Commander Killing, Jamacian Daninghan, and Full Frontal in order to take over Earth. A rag-tag resistance group lead by South Burning, Ryu Jose, Bork Cry, Chibodee Crockett, and Job John fight Bloodman's forces on Earth, which include the fiendish Clamp, Brave Cod, and Mashymre Cello. Elepo Ple and Suberoa Zinnerman eventually defect to Burning's crew. They bring with them the Bolinoak Sammahn, which is altered by Astonaige Medoz and Kid Salsamille into the Gundam Pixie.

Meanwhile, a mysterious cabal consisting of Ginias Sahalin, Trenov Yvan Minovsky, Shagia Frost, and Jamitov Hymem plot to take over Bloodman's empire after it is weakened by Burning.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Booourns posted:

Have you seen what some people name their kids these days? Imagine how much worse it will be in the future

At least it won't be Brayden Ray, Jayden Noah, Aiden Jose, Kaiden Shiden, Makayla Bow, Hayden Kotobushi, Aimee Mass, and Cayden Zabi.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Why follow Char? Johnny Ridden had a way higher kill count. :smug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Johhny's stupidly high killcount will never fail to annoy me.

Don't forget the random side story Federation dude that managed to get even more kills than Amuro.

Oh OYW sidestories. :allears:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

He's an ace best known for basically being made to sell a custom model kit. (The joke is that his Zaku is more famous than he is.) He is also red (but a darker shade than Char) and is dubbed the Crimson Lightning. Another in-joke is that people mistake him for Char and attribute his kills to the more famous Red Comet sometimes.

In-character he's kind of a generic dude whose only meaningful character trait was being Kycilia Zabi's secret love interest.

Don't forgot his fellow character made to sell more model kits in arms, Shin Matsunaga. Everyone forgets about Shin.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zedd posted:

His Zaku is much cooler so he's alright in my book. :colbert:

The MG Johnny Ridden Zaku II 1.0 has a much better color scheme than Shin's Zaku II. The regular and MG 2.0 colors are cool too and are still better than Shin's, but not as good as the MG Zaku 1.0.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

I actually have this on my backlog. :v: I love the Zaku I and a blue one with two shoulder pads and a bigass heat hawk is really cool in my book.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through the 0079 series after having watched the movies about half a year ago. I'm up to the start of the Jaburo arc.

*The Federation seems to be a lot more assholeish than it does in the movies. They detain the WB crew at Luna II, employ child soldiers with zero qualms, and Revil straight-up says anyone that wants to drop out of WB will be imprisoned (the movies make it clear that the Belfast stop is the last chance the crew will get to leave WB, which makes Kai bailing make more sense). The EFF's treatment of the WB is better in the movies; it's a ship manned by kids, but at the same time, has a ton of top-secret equipment on it. They can't just send kids to go fight on the front-lines, so they turn the WB into a test case to see if Newtypes really do exist by having them fight enemies in "controlled" backwater environments instead of chucking them into the war proper, like they seem to do in the TV series.

*The early part of the series makes Amuro feel too good and powerful too early. I like how the movies make it seem like he's barely hanging on when he fights before hitting Earth.

*The battles of the week really don't add to the story. Cutting things like the Adzam, first Gogg, and Grubro fights makes the series flow much better.

*Most of the stuff cut from the movies really didn't add much. Icelina's revenge was pointless and felt like a very poor retread of the previous episode, the C4 on the Gundam and Doan's Island episodes felt like they added nothing long-term, the "lesson" from the Adzam episode was never brought up again, "White Base needs salt!" was a stupid and utterly pointless excuse for the WB crew to fight Ral again, and M'Quve's trap did nothing. Some of the character development, like Mirai taking command of the WB while Bright is sick, is nice, but not essential.

*The G-Fighter is utterly useless. All it does is show off some "TOTALLY SWEET MAN" combining animations to sell toys, then piss around and do nothing. Amuro cranking up the Gundam's radio and calling his opponents huge faggots in mid-fight would be a more effective weapon than the G-Fighter has been so far. Based on /m/ posts, I'm pretty sure Tomino did this on purpose.

*They really spend time shoving the Gundam's combination animation down your throat. Funny how the movies completely remove any trace of it.

*The Battle of Odessa seems like a far smaller affair than it does in the movies. In the movies, it's clear that a lot of manpower was thrown and lost during the battle, it was a long and protracted affair, and it was a key part of the war, while the TV show makes it seem like it was done in a few hours, didn't require that much from the EFF, and wasn't that major of an operation long-term. Additionally, I don't lke how Amuro saves the day; the movies' portrayal of the WB crew barely doing anything in it feels better and shows that, while Amuro can kick rear end, he's not the superhero you'd see in other mecha shows.

*The TV show making the Gouf into a regular enemy diminishes how dangerous it was in the Ral arc. In the Ral arc, the Gouf is shown as a major threat that strains Amuro's fighting skills to his limits. Basically, it's a boss that can do some serious damage to Amuro. Then, as soon as the Ral arc is over, it's downgraded into a normal mook that Amuro stomps. Lame.

*The Black Tri-Stars battle is much better in the movies than it is in TV. In the TV show, it's a monster of the week that has Amuro doing a cool trick, his crush Matilda dying, and most of the Tri-Stars surviving, but in the movies, it's a major transitioning point in the story that demonstrates the power of newtypes that Revil was talking about earlier, shows Amuro utterly destroying a team of bad guys shown to be very clever, shows Amuro finally losing something dear to him because of the war (despite his powers), and demonstrates that Amuro is starting to seriously outclass Zeon as a pilot because of his Newtype powers awakening.

I still think the movies are a much better telling of 0079 than the TV show is so far, but the TV show does have some cool fights not seen in the movie and slightly expands on characters. So far, it seems to be a good supplement after you've watched the movies to expand on things like Bright and Mirai's relationship, but is ok as a standalone series.

As an aside, I think it's fun to take pictures of some of the worst bits of animation in the series.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 25, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I would think the Titans probably deserve to be punched in the face more for being a fascist régime that disappeared people for disagreeing with their policies, rather than just thinking Kamille is a girl's name. :v:

Kamille is angry enough that the calling him a girl would piss him off more than the Titans being super-evil.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I thought at some point Bright has to smack some sense into these kids, because that's always part of Bright's job.

I have... issues with how Gundam sometimes tells a story, but the one thing that amused me is how Kamille becomes a bigger obsession in Jerid's life (whether or not he knows it) but it hardly registers in the opposite direction. You know that punching Jerid was a random insignificant thing because Jerid is always just a random insignificant thing.

I like how their rivalry end with Kamille blasting, then chucking Jerid into an exploding ship like he was another faceless Hizack pilot instead of being an epic duel between two rivals.

quote:

He doesn't though. He gets more pissed at the MP who acts and speaks arrogantly than he ever does at Jerid. Jerid is just a spur of the moment thing, but he goes out of his way to plan and execute the theft of a mobile suit to shoot the MP so that he can give him a taste of what it's like to be harassed by someone bigger and stronger than him. And the MP really didn't actually do that much. He asked him some questions about the AEUG, assuming someone who attacked a Titan must sympathize with them, and then said Kamille was being an obstinate poo poo for not talking before leaving him be alone for a while since he wouldn't talk, letting him go when his family lawyer showed up and finally throwing a folder at him half-heartedly when Kamille talks after being released. It indicates frustrations with them that go beyond the actions of that one MP or Jerid, especially when he reacts with such distaste upon spotting the fact that there's Titans at the space port at all.

True, but I briefly forgot about that when I wrote my post. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Riddhe is a wiener with an inferiority complex that lusts over a waifu that doesn't care for him and wastes Marida for no reason.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I was never able to get a bead on Riddhe besides "must protect and revitalize family honor, boner for Mineva, overall felt annoying".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

MSG: prototype.
Zeta: next-gen mass production model (Gundam Mk. II), then cutting edge ace custom (Zeta Gundam).
ZZ: prototype.
CCA: cutting edge ace custom.
0080: prototype.
0083: prototypes.
F91: prototype.
Victory: prototype.
G Gundam: "Gundam" is basically the generic term for mobile suit.
08th MS Team: limited stop-gap production run making use of leftover excess spare parts for the original Gundam prototype.
Wing: one-off custom suits developed from a single prototype.
Gundam X: one of the few remaining pre-war mass-production mobile suits.
Turn-A: powerful artefact from the distant past.
SEED: prototype.
00: super robots.
Unicorn: prototype.
G-Reco: prototypes.
IBO: powerful artefact from the (much less distant) past.

Not to :goonsay:, but the MK II was just a test-bed for the movable frame concept, while the Gundams in X are cutting-edge MP mobile suits made as a trump card for the UNE just before the war ended. X has plenty of regular MP suits running around by the time series starts.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Srice posted:

My objection to it is mainly on the grounds that it's all background fluff from other materials that is not really represented in the show itself.

Agreed. It's interesting, but nothing is said about it in 0083 proper, making Cima a random space MILF that turns on Delaz for no apparent reason.

quote:

I still think whoever said earlier that Zeon is Imperial Japan was right. The One Year War is pretty much the Pacific Theater in Outer Space. If it wasn't obvious from the naval parallels, the last episode makes it perfectly clear when Zeon is forced into throwing untrained cadets into advanced mobile suits and watching them get slaughtered by the Federation's ace pilots.

The OYW has the exact same flow that the Pacific Theatre did; small army does a powerful first strike on enemies and occupies some land, then starts floundering when they actually have to hold territory long-term. The victim of their strike gets their poo poo together and steamrolls them. Hell, Zeon even surrenders before the Federation lands on their home turf, like Imperial Japan did. The difference is that it takes the Federation a lot longer to get their poo poo together than the US did, relatively speaking.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Hizack is one of my favorite Zaku variants. It's big, chunky, and has a gigantic heat hawk. It's a Zaku on steroids that looks like it's going to gently caress you up.

quote:

I like Zeon because their mechs, uniforms, and flags are cooler looking. And I feel like that's more common in the west.

The Federation feels too generic compared to Zeon. Zeon has a lot of eye-catching mechs with vastly-different shaped bodies and cool-looking 70s-style evil uniforms. The Federation has...a billion GM and Gundam varients and uniforms that are boring, WWII-era uniforms and those stupid blue for dudes and pink for girls ones. The X, 00, and AGE Federations are a lot more interesting.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Black Tri-star or Ramba Ral custom Zaku 1 would be my favourite Zaku design. Their custom paint jobs are boss.

Zaku I bros 4 lyfe

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
None of these Zaku Ranking Lists are in any particular order.

Best

1. Zaku II F/J
2. Zaku I
3. Zaku III
4. Den'an Zon
5. Leo
6. Hizack

Good

1. Geara Zulu
2. GINN
3. Jenice
4. Graze
5. Tieren
6. Death Army
7. Zolo

Eh

1. Geara Doga
2. SEED Destiny Zaku
3. Jahannam
4. Zaku II FZ
5. The Zaku thing Neo Japan has in G.
6. Zaku II JC

NO

1. Zila
2. Bugu

Not a Zaku

1. Borjanon
2. Zudah

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I am sort of legitimately upset you didn't include Gouf under Not A Zaku.

I knew people would be expecting it, so I didn't add it just to throw everyone off. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought Garrod and Tiffa were adorable, but they're not as cute as the RX-78-2 and the Gyan.

That is true giant robot love.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
CCA is more of a sequel to MSG than Zeta, much less ZZ.

The earth part of ZZ is one of my favorite parts of the UC shows.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Finished with the TV version of 0079.

Overall, I liked the movie series a lot better as a rendition of 0079. The movies have a much tigher and focused storyline compared to the TV series. Even without the MOTWs, the TV Show's story just isn't as focused as the movie' is.

*In the TV show, newtypes feel like they appear out of thin air after Solomon. The movies introduce the concept much earlier and builds up the idea of newtypes in a much more natural way instead of the concept suddenly appearing in the last 7 episodes and every jackass talking about it, despite nobody caring about it before. And no, Matilda randomly calling Amuro an esper is not a proper intro to newtypeism; it makes Matilda look insane.

*The TV show drags its feet way too much with Lalah. There are too many times where she appears, shoots down some ships, then retreats. The movies do a much better job with her; she shoots down some ships once near Solomon to demonstrate the power of the Elmeth, then Amuro fights her for real. It's a much simpler affair than the TV show. TV show Lalah feels like the staff wanted her as a MOTW and a major plot point, but didn't really know how to juggle it well.

*I haven't seen this discussed a lot, but the portrayal of A Baoa Qu is quite different in the TV show and movies. The TV show makes it look like the Federation is slowly losing unitl Gihren's headshot and Amuro's breakthrough, while the movie's take is much more neutral, making it look like both sides are evenly matched until the Federation eventually gets the upper hand.

*The scenes added to the movie add to the story. Having Degwin talk with the puppet prime minister about a peace treaty makes Degwin a more interesting and sympathetic character than his TV version is.

*The all-new animation in the movies makes the final space portion of 0079 look so much better than it does in the TV show. It's like night and day at times.

*I enjoyed the Gyan fight, but cutting it in favor of a more intense Amuro vs Char duel was a good idea. Having Char use the traps instead of M'Quve brings back the idea of him being a tactical genius that was talked about early in the series. That, and having Char fight Amuro right after Amuro killed M'Quve makes Char feel like a lame opportunist, not the badass he's supposed to be.

*Speaking of M'Quve, having him run around and fight Amuro with mobile suits and amours felt out of place for him. He's established as a weasel in a leadership position, not the type that would be hopping into a mobile suit like a common soldier.

*Sleggar suddenly macking on Mirai is just as left field as it is in the movies. I was expecting some more extra scenes with them to explain their kiss

*Sleggar's death is much better in the movies. In the TV series, Sleggar is just thrown from the G-Fighter, but in the movies, he's clearly being shown incinerated in his Core Booster's explosion.

The TV series is good as a standalone show; it's just that the movies do the story so much better. I did like how the TV show presented Bright and Mirai's growing relationship, along with Amuro and Fraw.

And the G-Fighter will always be a useless piece of poo poo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
He was only opportunist on the Zabis. He fought Amuro head-on multiple times.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, he was opportunist in fights as well. He made sure to attack when his enemy was the weakest or couldn't fight back. That isn't dumb but it is entirely his character. He even destroy the battleships at Loum entirely by going for the points where they couldn't attack him back. Char prefers fights where he has the advantage. (This is also something Tomino's novels stress. He actually encourages his allies to shoot Amuro while Amuro is distracted which... they do, just at the one point Char DIDN'T want that.)

He loses in CCA because he gets so deep into his Amuro Anger that he absolutely wants to prove he can beat Amuro in a straight fight and he can't. Char doesn't win straight fights.

And honestly that is smart. That is how someone should fight, especially against a superior foe.

What some people call opportunism, I call good tactics. :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The anti-beam coating on Hyaku Shiki is errata enough that you can pretty reasonably pretend it doesn't have it. Even SRW does this sometimes, including one situation where the anti-beam coating is an unlockable upgrade for it instead. It technically exists but it is so worthless it's probably just there as a retroactive explanation for why they have a gold blingsuit.

Speaking of retroactive explanations, no guide has ever tried to explain why the Gouf has a beam sword and the Gelgoog had physical instead of beam blades on its sword in 0079, have they?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just a tangent but has any Gundam ever been 'inconvenienced' by a lack of shield? It always seems that shields in Gundam are one of those 'nice to have but never really need it' thing. I guess my question is actually 'has a shield ever saved someone's rear end in Gundam beyond just being helpful to keep blows away' because I'm drawing a blank.

In the 0079 TV series, Amuro throws it as a weapon and uses it to jam a door that's closing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want a whole series of model kits and figures based on 0079's poor animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If the Gerbera Tetra is a Gundam to monoeye trans mobile suit, does that mean the Dijeh is a monoeye to Gundam trans mobile suit?