Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

Tomino doesn't make allowances for his audience's easy comprehension in terms of narrative. His style is very much based around giving the viewer a window into events that are happening in his world instead of specifically narrating a story, so there won't be big scrawls of "IN THE REGUILD CENTURY, MANKIND WAS NOW AT WAR...." or anything. Some people get very confused and put out because the show spoonfeeds you basically nothing and a lot of major plot details you need to pick up simply from character dialogue.

I found that most of Tomino's Gundam shows are pretty comprehensible intros from a newbies POV.

MSG has the luxury of an intro that straight-up tells you "there is a war in space where evil space dudes with giant robots are killing people and chucking giant space stations at Earth", Zeta makes it drat clear who the bad guys are off the bat because there are dudes with black uniforms that grin like gangsters and establishes Kamille as a "troubled youth" because of his little temper tantrum rampage on Jerid and the Titans MPs, ZZ intro is easy to understand because of how simple it is, and F91's colony attack makes it super simple to figure out that the dudes piloting the gas-mask robots are evil and that the Federation is incompetent. Tomino's shows don't have some dude popping up and saying "Hello, I am from the Titans/Axis Zeon/Crossbone Vanguard and here is exactly what we are trying to do" in the first few episodes, but it's easy to figure out the basics of the story just by watching.

I think Tomino does stumble with revealing motivations at times, like how the only talk we get about Jamitov's true intentions is some speculating Paptimus does at his Pimp Pad with Sarah about Jamitov wanting to bankrupt the Federation (which turns out to be true in the novels), exactly why Glemy wants to overthrow Haman, and why Agrippa took over while Dianna went off on her boondoggle quest to resettle Earth (or was that because of the poo poo subs I had?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want a crossover event where the Gundam characters with the most ridiculous names fight the most useless Gundam characters to be deemed the number 1 Gundam misfit.

0079 Hayato and Wufei team up to create an alliance that includes stars like S2 Alleujah, Argo Gulskii, Destiny-era Cagalli, Dorel Ronah, Kou, and Reccoa to fight Bask Om, South Burning, Cronicle Asher, Kid Salsamille, Bork Cry, Zeon Zum Deikun, Bright Noa, Mouar Pharaoh, and the other Gundam characters with ridiculous name

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 10, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have little doubt that they will eventually do more Origin stuff. It makes money selling toys, so they'll do it.

Fun fact: Origin model kits use a different "brand" label compared to the rest of the 0079-derived products.

Products from 0079 (the RX-78-2 head):

Products from Origin (Origin logo):

Bandai seems like they're ready to support Origin long-term if they're willing to give it a seperate brand label.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Midjack posted:

That or it's an excuse to sell you a Zaku or Gundam for the 10th time because this one is so different.

If they wanted to sell you another Zaku or Gundam that's slightly different from existing molds, they could make it, give the box the 0079 brand logo on the box, and nobody would care. They've done it before. :v:

They could easily put the 0079 brand logo on the Origin kits, but if they're using a new one just for Origin's products, then that tells me they have big plans for the Origin line. :shobon:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just felt like listening to Star Children. Gundam should embrace it's 70s roots more.

I unironically love the cheesy 70s music in 0079, like Espionage in Enemy Territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZtyB0kOH8

It sounds like it came from Scooby-Doo and I love it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Not Dave posted:

There was recently a shirt made that just has "Say it ain't so Bernie!" printed on and I would have bought it if I wouldn't have to explain its not a political thing.

If anyone asked, you could tell 'em that it's a saying from local burger joint at somewhere you used to live.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Prepare my Zack for combat so I can destroy Noah Bright for the glory of John.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh my god I need to watch those FMV's again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiTosK80Wfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzb16ug6Kyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWxxY0IILE

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

It kind of bugs me weirdly, also don't forget Federation female officers wear the same gear as male ones.

UNIFORMS!

It was the late 70s.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Degwin absolutely started the war (well, him and Zeon together set the things in motion but still. Zeon intended for either war or freedom) The colony drop was actually his son's idea and he went along with it only with the assurance that it would end the war quickly. (This is still gross and power-hungry but still.)

However Degwin assassinating Zeon is not at all confirmed. The original scripted-but-not-used idea is that he'd admit to Sayla on his deathbed but other material including The Origin and Tomino's novels, pretty firmly imply that Zeon was not assassinated by Degwin. Gihren was responsible for it in the novels and The Origin strongly implies that Zeon may have legitimately died from a heart attack. They've never openly stated who or what is responsible for Zeon's death but Degwin actually ends up pretty far down the list.

(That said "good leader" and "monster" are not opposites. Zabi was, aside from his inability to control his children, shown to be a fairly effective leader who got shunted into figurehead status by said children. He was also power-hungry and a monster.)

0079's setting notes pins Zeon's buildup towards war solely on Degwin. Seems to me the intention was that Degwin was a real son of a bitch dictator, but began having buyer's remorse once Gihren took control.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
G-Reco dropped a colony on my hometown.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
When I was a child, my house suddenly set on fire and we lost almost everything. I saw Bellri staring at my burning house at a nearby house with his grin, watching my life burn down before me. I knew it was him that set the fire.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Pissing in the wind is more effective than most of the G-Fighter's abilities are.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The G-Fighter is effectively as well-armed as the Gundam and scores more on-screen kills than the Guncannon or Guntank does. Like it's stupid and toyetic but both its on-paper stats and in-series effectiveness are really high. Its beam cannon is the strongest weapon available to the White Base combat crew that isn't attached to the White Base.

(It can also combine with the Gundam but I'm perfectly happy to forget the G-Bull.)

It's a great aicraft fighter when Salya gets her skillz up to par and Sleggar gets one, but it's main selling point, the combinations, are utterly useless.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The real question is: What does Kuntala meat taste like?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought SEED suddenly turning the token Federation stand-in evil was really stupid and contrived. They weren't too keen on Coordinators at the start, but it's like someone hit a switch and every last person in the EA except for the Archangel crew turned extremely evil with no redeeming qualities as soon as the Archangel reached JOSH-A. It was really hokey.

I don't mind evil Federations (like the one in X), but SEED did a poo poo job with it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

they're literally talking about decals and model grades...i don't think his complaint is unwarranted

Who cares? Droyer is sounding whiny.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Srice posted:

I like Glemy even though his development gets weird in the second half due to the nature of the show's production.

If they made middle-to-end Glemy the Glemy from the start he'd be one of the most interesting Gundam villains.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Please, please do a review of one of the Frost Bros regular outfits sometime down the line. You should do Shagia's outfit, but Olba would be fine too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Azrael's behavior and mannerisms are so over-the-top and silly that he's one of the few Gundam villains I would say is "fun", in spite of him being a genocidal..racist? Geneist? Whatever. He oftentimes steals the scene when he's on, and he appears often enough that the viewer can get a good grasp of who he is and how crazy he is.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

weekend at bernie's

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like a lot of SEED's uniforms. The Earth Alliance uniforms are a great modernization of the EFF uniforms (the 0079-style blue and pink uniforms actually look passable instead of poo poo), while ZAFT's are really nice.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Eej posted:

My problem with IGLOO is that it's just extended fanservice to Zeon fanboys devoid of anything remotely critical about literal space Nazis in order to animate heroic last stands of crazy wonder weapons and doesn't really do anything interesting.

IGLOO gave us the Zudah, and that redeems it in my mind.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
G Gundam getting BDs later this year.

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/news/453

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 19, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

will we ever be free of weirdos who cheer the death of Quess, a kid manipulated into a deadly conflict, because she was 'annoying?'

You can still fell pity for her circumstances and still find her annoying. :ssh:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind a #manga about the #adventures of #RanGarrod and #ParaSys

Me too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Completed 08th MS Team. Again. Still should have ended at Episode 11, and it looks like it was originally supposed to considering the episode had a giant END sign at the conclusion. Episode 12 is unassuming and not terrible, but it's tacked on and would have worked better as a side story or a standalone piece.

I have never watched Episode 12. I think I've made the right choice.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I will say about Gundam X's ending is that Ennil and Toniya just deciding to elope together was hilarious.

Those two were so gay for each other as soon as they met.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Raxivace posted:

The Glemmy route is very offensive and shouldn't have been in the game.

The Glemy route is the reason why the game was eventually banned in Japan.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'd go X-style so I can make generic 90s anime outfits REALITY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Wow Yazan's design does not mesh well with whats-her-name. they look like they came from two different shows.

If you think that's bad, read the Plot to Assassinate Gihren manga. It has modern anime characters rolling with late 70s cartoon villains (the Zabis) and Gihren's secretary with her late 70s-early 80s as gently caress hair, which is about as jarring as you'd expect.