Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I absolutely loved this game. The ending was perfectly fine and consistent with the rest of the experience.

It really does feel like gamers have been conditioned to expect either crazy/bombastic twists/endings or really black and white happy/sad endings. I can understand people feeling a little flat at the ending, but I can't think of any reason besides that to condemn it. Thematically and artistically, it seems perfectly fine to me.

As for the issues some people have with the length; while I can't tell you how to define value, I do think it's a shame that there's people who will discount or devalue something like this because it wasn't "long enough". It seemed like a complete experience to me which is all it should have been. There's certainly games out there where that could be a real issue, but with a narrative game like this where the pacing was great and the story was "complete" it seems like a strange criticism.

This will go on the relatively short list of games I have that I really want to be able to forget so I can experience it again for the first time.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is the ending feeling flat not a good reason to call it out?

It's a criticism you can have, of course, but it kind of assumes endings shouldn't be flat or melancholy, which is a little weird, in my opinion. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if it didn't seem like such a popular opinion. Given that it fits in very well with the theme and grounded nature of the story, it's consistent which, like it or not, ties up the game adequately.

I suppose my problem is that some people are wording their criticisms in a pretty strong (over the top, IMO) way and some are even writing the game off. I don't want to tell people what they should like and value or not, but it really is a shame that the game can be "ruined" for some people who were otherwise enjoying it because the ending wasn't as grand or exciting as they'd hoped.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The ending being inconsistent and bait-and-switchy is the problem.

The ending seems perfectly consistent with the rest of the game to me. The other part of your argument still seems strange to me. It seems like you don't think endings should be subversive, which I completely disagree with.

Unless I'm misunderstanding "bait-and-switchy". I don't see how any interpretation of that would make it an argument I would agree with, though. Wouldn't that mean any ending with a twist? I honestly have no idea.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

There's no way to make this sound non-condescending or smug, but I honestly wonder how many people who really disliked the ending have read a large and broad range of novels, from classic fiction to modern airport novels.

I only mention it because there seems to be a disconnect regarding the ending between two fairly distinct groups and it would be interesting to know if there's a definite reason for that. It seems like most people who disliked it were expecting something "bigger" or "grander" or "more exciting", so it makes me wonder why that is, since the rest of the game was fairly "mundane". I would guess that experiencing a broader range of fiction and in different mediums would better prepare someone for the ending we got, and would leave the player feeling less disappointed or more satisfied than a player who was more used to typical video game or movie climaxes. That's the most obvious conclusion I can come up with, anyway, assuming that there's a fairly common underlying reason among the people who didn't like the conclusion.

Edit: I'm not referring to anyone, specifically, with this. It's a general thought based on the number of people in this thread and the Steam forums/reviews who have lamented the lack of "excitement" in the ending, particularly the Steam forums/reviews.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 14, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Vando posted:

Why does that make it a bad choice though?

That's my thought. It seems to come down to expectations and the belief that if your expectations aren't met, then it makes something bad. I don't think that follows, though. Fair enough if it just means you don't like it, I don't think anyone can argue against that, but trying to justify it as "bad" in general or "objectively" is taking it too far, in my opinion.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Might want to tag all of those spoilers, there.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Dolash posted:

The funniest result of this I had was I saved all the camera film in order to take pictures of evidence and other important things related to the mystery, so there'd be some proof of what I'd seen. That meant pictures of the clipboard, of the research site, of the dead body and Ned's camp. It meant during the credits where the music is fairly positive there was this parade of damning evidence floating by rather than I assume the beautiful sunsets they expected you to snap.

This is exactly what happened to me, too. I always found myself wondering if the end of the game hinged on you having some kind of "proof", and not having any meaning you get a "bad" ending where you're tossed into prison or something. As a result, all of my pictures were of the monitoring station, radios, clipboards, and typed pages. In a way I think it's kind of brilliant, given that the game makes a point of making both Henry and Delilah paranoid before revealing that they were too tightly wound and prone to fantasy, much like I had become as the player. (I also think this is a good commentary on the expectations of gamers that more modern videogames have set.) I'm also reminded of the "potential for manipulation" score on the typeout analysis for Henry being a 9 or something, which plays into the way I played, as well.

I still find myself thinking a lot about this game a couple of days after finishing it, which is something I only usually find myself doing after reading a really engrossing novel. Campo Santo did a great job.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm under the impression that there aren't any big differences, just different lines of dialog.

I'm still not certain why people are saying nothing makes sense. It felt like all the characters were doing what they would actually do and none of them are 100% mentally sound. Henry's probably the most capable person in the story and he's still somewhat not-okay. Everything else made sense to me and fit together properly without any leaps in logic or plot holes.

I can mildly understand the idea of the ending being disappointing in the whole, "Well this is over I guess," sense but as far as the other complaints I see no issue with how it ended.

I've been trying to be patient while reading the thread, but it seems more and more likely that the answer is that a lot of people have very little experience outside of typical movie and videogame stories/narrative and expect everything to be neat and tidy, perfectly explained and to have exciting resolution to everything.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Megaspel posted:

This is so assumptive and pretentious man, why do you assume anyone who didn't like this game is just an idiot? Is it only smart people who agree with you? I mean it's fine to attack their criticism if you don't think it's up to snuff, but you're just plugging your ears as soon as you start saying the reason someone disagrees with you, or dislikes something you do, is because they're just not as smart as you.

I've posted a fair amount in this thread and have addressed a lot of things. I've also been careful to say that I'm basing a lot of my observations on all of the criticism I've seen (not just the stuff in this thread). Basically, the problem I have is with people trying to say that the ending is "objectively" bad (or as near to objective that can be determined in a subjective medium) because they don't like it. I've also said that if you simply don't like it and say so, that's perfectly fine and don't see how anyone could even have a problem with that. Mostly, I'm interested in whether or not a good reason can be determined for why the divergence in opinion is so great, and the best I could come up with was the post you quoted.

I don't know where the stuff about me thinking I'm smarter than others or that people who don't like it are "idiots", though. All I said was that I thought that a lot of people might have little experience outside of their preferred niches and that it might have an effect on their expectations and therefore, on their opinion of the end off the game. It doesn't seem like a bizarre theory to me. I don't know how intellect comes into that at all.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

I wanna fish that stereo back out.

Ned already did that. Check his workbench next time you play.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

But a game it wasn't.

Oooooooooh I play mobile games, am I a fake gamer?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

Why is it okay for the devs to create escapism, but not okay for us to partake? It's a deliberately deceptive gotcha and suggests cowardice.

Do you think that maybe rather than cowardice they were trying to make a point?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

it's fundamentally contradictory. "escapism can't solve problems!" except obviously the devs think it can, since they deliberately made some escapist fiction to explain how escapism can't solve problems. presumably escapism can solve the problem of people thinking escapism can solve problems?

The message in the game is pretty simple, but you're saying it's invalid because it's a game? This is a bizarre way of looking at it. I really think you're trying to find a way to dismiss their message by over-analysing it and applying it beyond where it belongs.

If I know the guys at Campo Santo, I know that one of the things they would have wanted from this game is to get people talking, and they've certainly managed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The guy who played Zangief in the Street Fighter movie.

• Locked thread