Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I really enjoyed everything about Firewatch except the story.

Honestly if it had just played it entirely straight with me chatting with my terrible joke telling boss while I try to stop darn kids starting fires, occasionally trying to convince each other we're not terrible people for running away from our problems I actually would have enjoyed it more. The game stops being interesting the moment things are too urgent for you and Delilah to chat poo poo anymore.

In short, more of this.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So are the missing person posters for Ned? The picture seems to match the poster of Ned at the end of the game.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The conclusions they come to make sense and isn't paranoia at all. Guessing the actual truth straight away would have been far more paranoid and nonsensical.

What doesn't make sense is why no one bothered to just tell Delilah the camp was there. It's not like it's meant to be a huge secret project

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Played for 2 hrs last night and feel like I'm probably half done with the game. It's great, and I hope that basically nothing happens. A+ walking and falling simulator with beautiful environment. All I want to know, and please spoil this for me, is whether you ever get to meet Delilah face-to-face?

No. But you do get a view into her world.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Yodzilla posted:

Question about the plot though, does anything think the girls actually cut the communication wire or was that Ned framing them. Seems kind of drastic for drunk teenage girls to climb a drat pole on a cliff and slice it like that?

Their angry note accuses you of stealing their panties, which you didn't and the threatening note written by the communications cut is on a pair of panties. So yeah it was Ned the panty thief.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also for those wondering why Brian died climbing in the cave despite leaving his climbing gear in his den? The only way the kid had to get to his den was to climb there through the cave, you get to it the first time by breaking through a collapsed tunnel with the Pulaski and dropping down into the area. The only way back is to climb. The kid died making one final trip back.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That kind of falls apart though when there's Ned, playing puppet master behind the scenes. It's not paranoia if there really is someone listening in on your conversations. Henry and Delilah are not very smart, but they're not just making up a conspiracy for fun either. IThere's literally someone who's been living in a Tony Stark cave for years trying to cover up the death of their son.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Toady posted:

And then it turns out to be the simplest, most obvious explanation--a nut in the forest overhearing their radios (a nut they knew had gone missing, had PTSD, and was into ham radios). In reality, they're just lonely alcoholics isolated in the forest for three months inventing a greater meaning for everything.[/spoiler]

I'm not sure "Maybe Ned's been secretly living in the forest for years without anyone noticing" is a more obvious explanation, especially since they had no idea Brian was dead. The towers aren't even staffed in the Winter, how the hell would he survive?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hobo Clown posted:

As far as I'm aware, the towers are only there to report and monitor fires. I don't know why no one being in them would make it harder for him to survive.

Because they wouldn't be getting the supplies he was stealing. During the time he needed them the most.

Toady posted:

A secret government mind experiment in the Wyoming forest is a more obvious explanation than some guy (who Henry saw)? Aside from the evidence already presented against there being an experiment (for me, the soil grid was a big clue that the game was toying with you about the "mystery"), when the game kept getting more and more into Delilah's experience with the Goodwins, how Ned had PTSD, how they were into ham radios and technology, it was pretty obviously going in that direction.

Narratively yes it was obvious the story involved the Goodwins. From the characters perspectives though, a government experiment was far more reasonable a conclusion than a man living in the woods for years. I mean imagine the conversation.

"Maybe Ned's still living here years later and loving with us"

"How would he be doing that?"

"Maybe he's living in a secret lair and has built a way to listen to our radios off things he's found in the forest and yeah this is really stupid. Sorry."

They've got absolutely no reason to think it's Ned.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

doctor iono posted:

It might blow some posters' minds here, but there are, in fact, people who live out in the wilderness like hermits!

I'm not saying they don't. Just that it wouldn't make much sense for the characters to come to that conclusion.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you call Delilah while doing it she bitches about the music too.

Jippa posted:

What is that tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6S6Mqr8Oo

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My only point is its not unreasonable for the character's to think what they do. Because the actual truth is not something they could have reasonably come up with without sounding completely crazy to each other. While what they believe is outlandish, there isn't really a better option for them.

I knew which way the story was going, but that's different from what the characters know.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah it mostly comes down to the main character not being very bright.

Though the game never makes him out to be, so this is perfectly okay storytelling.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
One of the Art Director's for Firewatch is sharing third person views of the game and they are beautiful.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Ca-ISvGVIAMaO7q.mp4
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Ca-KStLUUAEtCCQ.mp4
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Ca-K-RnUcAAwxVx.mp4

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just because the ending was deliberately muted, that doesn't make it a good choice. Firewatch got me pretty invested in a story then wrapped it all up with with everyone pretty much everyone involved going "Oh well that sucks" and then leaving. As endings go, not great.

You can say that was intentional, but that doesn't really make it any better.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The plot is fixed, your decisions don't affect anything significant about it. Some details in the world will change is the most that'll happen.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The best discussions are if a video game is really a video game or whether it's something like a video game but not actually a video game even though everyone is just going to call it a video game anyway.

Let's have that discussion for twenty pages until they close this thread.

Edit: Besides it had that sweet bass fishing segment. Very nostalgic.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 22, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Petr posted:

"Is this a game" is the most boring video game analysis possible. It's like "what is art" with a GED.

Are there any other games with the same kind of atmosphere and mystery feel as Firewatch? Searching for paranoia-inducing games just brings up poo poo jump-scary horror games.

Gone Home is the obvious one. Not the big outdoors but lots of environmental storytelling and a bit of mystery.

Life is Strange is weird paranormal time traveling teen stuff with a healthy dose of being a teen hipster. It's in the "Better than it sounds, no really! But the ending may be poo poo for you" category this is in.

Miasmata is a janky wilderness exploration game that is reasonably pretty even for dated graphics, controls badly and has a poo poo monster. If you want to explore more wilderness it's a good game, with a rough start and barely any story. It's hard to recommend but it's cheap as gently caress and I enjoyed it for a few hours. Seriously though, poo poo monster.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is probably the best one for "Yes more of this!" and looks real pretty while having a good mystery story. The best of the lot here, you should just go play that.

Edit for more: Oh and there's Alan Wake if you wanted the Conspiracy plot to not only be true, but wasn't weird enough for you. Lot of wandering around in the woods and Twin Peaks style "What even is this?" It's not terrible? Birds may eat you.

If you really wanted to explore the wilderness and survive like a manly man (Or lady) you might enjoy The Long Dark. Which has gently caress all story, but a pretty snow covered Canadian Wasteland to gawp at, before you get eaten by wolves.

And if you want an excellent story combined with some nice visuals and about a different setting for it as possible, then SOMA is your underwater atmospheric mystery game in which you .... I can't even explain it really without spoiling it. It features the required sassy women on the radio who knows more than you do and dopey male character who has to do everything and can't take a hint, but ends up going pretty weird places pretty darn fast. It's also got some monster dodging horror segments, so if you hate those don't bother. It's really good though.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 22, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don't think my wife's family is going to be particularly interested in having me around considering they took her away due to neglect.

Delilah makes bad plans.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, didn't realize that could happen. I chose to put her in a home and apparently her family was in favor of that decision.

Seems like the better option. One of the choices if you do look after her is if you should leave her completely unattended at night while you go drinking or if you should wedge a chair under the door so she can't wander off.

Henry is not a very good carer.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Max posted:

I chose to put her in a home because I kinda saw things going completely bad for Henry if he tried to take care of her on his own.

And they do, which makes the message at the end to go back to her so weird.

Ahundredbux posted:

To be fair, full time care of someone with any kind of dementia all by yourself sounds like a nightmare, especially if it's someone you love :(

Oh I'm not saying it isn't tough! Just that Henry really shouldn't be doing it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 2, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Does Henry get any training at all for his job? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what his actual job is when he turns up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

PantsBandit posted:

IIRC there's some evidence that he's a generally pretty fit dude? But other than that not really that I can think of.

I don't mean like fitness training, but more "Hey, here's what your actual job is. This is how forest fires start"

Because from what we get in game he apparently turns up knowing literally gently caress all about his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don't think they even told Henry where to get food for himself until a few days in. He was pretty much just one radio outage in a bad storm away from dying in that tower. Really the amazing thing isn't that Brian is dead but that there isn't another fifty or so bodies down there with him.

• Locked thread