Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched a couple videos of Sips playing this game and then went and bought it. I really enjoyed it all the way up until right after you find out Ned was the one spying on you. That was super disappointing. I understand they wanted there to be a crazy twist but they didn't handle it well at all. I would rather it all really had been a conspiracy instead of what we got. You find out and the game just ends. It would be nice if there was a bit more to the story. We have pretty decent exposition, rising action and a great climax but there's no falling action. It goes straight to resolution. "It was this guy! Wow, that's crazy. Oh well, it's all over get to the chopper." Would it kill them to at least deal with the fallout of the whole situation for at least a few minutes before ending it? Knowing that there's nothing else to do for me besides find a turtle and another tape, I think I'm done.

This would have been a great 10 dollar game, as an 18 dollar game, not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My problem is the ending was so abrupt. The game actually starts ending before you even conclude the story. "Wow, that's what happened, huh? Oh well it's time to go home, bye."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I just finished it and I totally disagree with this. The 'main plot' is resolved, and then the game gives you a good 20-30 minutes to reflect and discuss it before the credits roll. It feels really natural.

20-30 minutes? I wake up the last day and Delilah says "Hey, the helicopters are coming, we're done here, get up to my station. Oh wait, I hear you're detecting a signal, check that out." Then I check out the signal and find out Ned did everything and go into his creepy hideaway. The entire time you're in there, she says "Ok, that's cool but we can't do anything about that, get up to my station already". So I assume you could spend half an hour farting around in there with all the smoke and you could even spend 3 hours doing whatever. My point is that she keeps rushing you to get to her lookout and then the game just ends. They probably would have done better if you just happen upon his hide out and you find everything out. Then give some time to wind things down. Then once they wind down from the climax, then the fire can get out of control and it can be time to leave.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The conversation you have in her tower is the ending. :ssh:

And? The big climax of the game is finding out that Ned did everything. There's no wind down from that. You just immediately get told to get out and go to her lookout to end the game. The ending is abrupt. I've been saying this the whole time, I don't know why you can't understand that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I just don't get what point you're trying to make. It's not like things aren't set up, it's not like the relevant plot threads aren't resolved and it's not like the game doesn't give you time and dialogue to gradually wrap things up. Going to the other lookout and speaking to Delilah one last time is the wind down. Hell, you could say that being shown Ned's hideout is part of the wind down, since it's basically a nice lump of closure.

Let me take you through the elements of plot as described by Gustav Freytag in the 1880s. The first part is exposition. You get to know the characters and their backgrounds and the first bit of the plot is revealed. Then you have the rising action. The story moves from the first plot point through conflicts to get to the climax. At the climax, everything comes to a head and the hero either succeeds or fails at his task. After the climax is the falling action, where we see the effects of the story and wind everything down towards the end. Then you have the resolution where any loose ends are tied up and the story finally ends.

Firewatch pretty much has two plot lines that eventually meet. The exposition is getting to the lookout and learning bout Delilah. You go confront the campers. You get into the rising action when Ned tries to scare off the campers and blame it on you. He also sabotages the phone lines. After fixing the phone lines you learn about the Goodwins and how they mysteriously left. You get the second plot going when Ned tries to make it look like a secret government site is spying on you. Everything you do after this leads towards the climax. The climax of the first plot line happens when you find Brian's body. You leave the cave, tell Delilah and that plot goes into its falling action. You discuss with everything that happened and what not and that plot line is resolved. Later, you get to the climax of the second story line. You get led to Ned's hideout and you find out there was no conspiracy, it was all Ned. He faked everything. This is clearly the main climax. While the Brian thing is crazy, it was obviously a side story. This conspiracy plot line has no falling action. Delilah says "Wow, that's crazy. Anyway, get to my lookout now. Also, I'm leaving you here." That plot just ends with a wet fart. Then you finally get to her lookout and she tells you on the radio "Welp, I'm leaving and not coming back, you should do the same thing. Bye forever." It just abruptly ends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I think NESguerilla made a good point as to why I didn't like the ending, beyond it just being so mundane. If Ned and his son had been a thing that was constantly being brought up from the beginning instead of a snippit here and there, I'd probably have been way more invested in it. But instead that mostly all happens later and by that point they're kind of rushing you through it and you aren't really given enough time to process who Ned is and who his son is, and the body being found in the cave doesn't end up being nearly as "oh my god..." as it should be. So on top of not liking the Henry and Delilah stuff at the end, the Ned stuff just ends up feeling like "uh okay?" cause we're given really no time to care about Ned and his son. It would've been better to get us better invested in that story.

This is something I think I was trying to bring up in my rant. Ned and Brian are treated as a minor side story. The overall story is portrayed as being Henry and Delilah getting to know each other and then oh no, it seems as if someone is spying on them. Near the end of the game, Ned and Brian go from a couple people that were there a few years ago but then left to a major part of the plot. You go through the cave and then find the fort. All of a sudden Delilah opens up about Brian and you're supposed to care about what happened to him. Then a few minutes later you find his dead body. From here on out, it's all about Ned and Brian. Henry and Delilah's relationship kind of drops to the back burner until at the end she finally says she doesn't want to ever meet you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

It's a bad ending. Give me the option to set a trap for Ned, and then I'll hold him with one arm above the hole in the cave where Bryan fell, and then Delilah will say "DO IT IDIOT" and you get a prompt where you can throw Ned down the hole or not. You can drop him down to join his son in the cave tomb, or you can redeem Ned and then he will go to Australia and marry Julia.

This please.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you ever look at Ned's face, your soul gets sucked out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vando posted:

The only way they could render the drawing of Henry in the tower was to steal the map for that purpose, so trying to read the map is probably hilariously broken at that point.

e: 41:25 here http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

What, like your map with the M key? I have a save at that part of the game and I can't figure out what he's talking about. My map is normal.

Edit: Oh, mine shows me as being between cache 306 and the medicine wheel.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 14, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can still fight cancer with radiation therapy, you can't properly reproduce Galaxy Quest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was a bit annoying. Especially when he's able to just jump down a ten foot cliff but be needs to rappel down a gentle slope.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

synthetik posted:

The GiantBomb VR thing they did showed Henry's character model, and he's overweight and out of shape.

edit: not as bad as I remembered.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw

Right around 9:37

Are you talking about Will From Tested™?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it worth getting? Do the tracks flow into each other in any way? It looks cool but I don't know if it would be worth it to put it on the record player and listen all the way through.

• Locked thread