Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

the gun advocate argues that police will not defend you

The supreme court argues this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

Hmm.
  • Thinks his opponents are subhuman
  • Describes them as "goblins"
  • Rants about how morally superior he is
  • Wants to ban guns
  • Cites holocaust denial websites

Tell us Tezzor, have you ever shot your niece because she wanted to date a dashing young Stormtrooper instead of you? Have you ever fled to Argentina via U-Boat? Are you a vegan?

Oh man, who ripped a nasty one in here?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

This is a good post that has yet to be addressed.

PCOS Bill?

The South is the best part of the US

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

There it is again. Open a window of something.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

It is demonstrably the worst, but you should focus on the Gunt hing. its a point I've raised with some pro gun people I know. Why is it OK to have guns for self defense in all cases except *laundry list of arbitrary things*. If one has a felony, they don't deserve a gun? If one has depression, they shouldn't have a gun? How do we find out?

Either all citizens have a right to self defense or they don't. One can't be pro gun rights for citizens and then try to restrict citizens on arbitrary information.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you look at the leading advocates of gun control during the off-season it's a cavalcade of democrats who are basically a who's who of pro-privatization anti-labor pro-charter politicians.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

It is demonstrably the worst, but you should focus on the Gunt hing. its a point I've raised with some pro gun people I know. Why is it OK to have guns for self defense in all cases except *laundry list of arbitrary things*. If one has a felony, they don't deserve a gun? If one has depression, they shouldn't have a gun? How do we find out?

Either all citizens have a right to self defense or they don't. One can't be pro gun rights for citizens and then try to restrict citizens on arbitrary information.

I responded to that post

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

PCOS Bill posted:

Nearly fifty years after John F. Kennedy first condemned corrupt leadership in the American labor movement, it is still plagued by rampant corruption, embezzlement, racketeering and influence from numerous organized crime organizations. From penny-ante theft to multi-million dollar embezzlement schemes, labor leaders continue to violate the trust of the members they claim to represent.

The labor movement is nothing but the sum of its many parts—millions of working Americans who’ve entrusted union leaders to spend a portion of their hard earned salary for the benefit of the collective good. Financially speaking, the sum of the movement’s parts totals more than $10 billion dollars annually in mandatory dues and controls another $400 billion in financial assets in strike funds, pension plans, and health care benefits.

In fact, in just the last five years, hundreds (maybe thousands) of labor leaders at all levels of the movement have been convicted of embezzlement, corruption, racketeering, or engaging in organized crime. The problem is rampant, getting worse, and yet the unions seemingly refuse to address it.
Key Findings:

The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act’s (LMRDA) reliance on self-government, public disclosure, and ultimately deterrence has failed;
The Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) has investigated and prosecuted union leaders for embezzling more than $100 million in union dues since 2001;
Investigations by the DOL’s Office of Inspector General, which investigates labor racketeering and organized crime’s influence within the labor movement, has resulted in more than $1 billion in fines, restitutions, and forfeitures;
Fewer than 5 percent of unions audited by the DOL received unqualified passes.
https://www.unionfacts.com/article/crime-and-corruption/

UNION... BAD? NO NOT CAN BE!

A bad union is better than no union. Ask the NRA

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

Sherman's only failing in life is that he didn't destroy nearly enough of the south. Namely all of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Worthwhile things the South has ever given the world:

*circkets*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

I responded to that post

I feel like you dodged it

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Jastiger posted:

I'll take this.

If you're out of jail/an institution you get your rights back. If you don't want Person X to have their rights back, they don't get out. If they do get out and you don't like them having their rights back you can stuff it.

If this enables more people to make a choice to end their lives, ill-advised or not, that's their choice. Domestic abusers who have made threats on someone's life should be locked up and had the keys thrown away. No more special fluffy treatment for them, they're guilty of deadly assault. Anything falls in the cracks here, too bad. Not having second-class citizens (outside of jail or involuntary mental holds) is more important.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rahu posted:

Please settle down with the personal attacks friend, we are all gathered here in this thread to discuss how guns are cool and rad :)

Now to focus on your the words in your post, that I read.

For this example we will assume that Anwar al-Awlaki did absolutely nothing to encourage domestic terrorism, as that is the least amount of encouragement possible.

To encourage domestic terrorism more than zero, they must have done something, anything at all, to encourage domestic terrorism. I am asking you what that is.

I wrote, in the original post you did not read, an exact answer to that question. I will not repeat it, because I have a religious obligation not to repeat myself when talking to rats, lice, other vermin, etc.

You could demand that you need an exact quote, from an NRA member, in support of "you'll take my guns from my cold, dead, hands", "gun control is just the thin end of the wedge for banning guns outright", and "we shouldn't use emotion determine our reaction to mass shootings". But this is facile, and plainly a case of valuing the form but not function of debate, just like the nasal whine of fallacy names endemic to gun advocate posts. So, basically, go jump in a lake.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Not having second-class citizens (outside of jail or involuntary mental holds) is more important.
I feel like that would require a functional justice system.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'll take this.

If you're out of jail/an institution you get your rights back. If you don't want Person X to have their rights back, they don't get out. If they do get out and you don't like them having their rights back you can stuff it.

If this enables more people to make a choice to end their lives, ill-advised or not, that's their choice. Domestic abusers who have made threats on someone's life should be locked up and had the keys thrown away. No more special fluffy treatment for them, they're guilty of deadly assault. Anything falls in the cracks here, too bad. Not having second-class citizens (outside of jail or involuntary mental holds) is more important.

So you live in a parallel universe where reform is impossible for crimes if it would make sense to restrict gun ownership for people guilty of them. What a hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Somebody can make another gun thread when the next mass shooting happens. Shouldn't be too long a wait :angel:

• Locked thread