Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This zone is dangerously sesame. I would say we’d be venturing into a zone of sesame danger.

Menu:
Sesame Miso Soup

Sesame-Crusted Salmon & Cold Sesame Soba

Sesame Milk Tea & Black Sesame Ice Cream

Sesame Squares

Sesame Miso Soup
First, let me tell you how loving delicious this soup was. It's hondashi (because I really just didn't feel like making a poo poo-ton of dashi and you kind of have to make a poo poo-ton when you make it fom scratch), sweet miso, "mixed" sesame paste (OMG DELICIOUS), tons of fresh grated ginger, mirin, light-colored soy sauce, and shiso furikake. Garnish of scallions.

I really wanted to garnish with fresh shiso leaves, but couldn't find any in town, so I put a few sprinkles of shiso furikake in each bowl with the scallions, but it sank to the bottom. The story behind shiso leaves is that they are sometimes colloquially referred to as perilla leaves, or sesame leaves, even though they aren't really, so I thought it would be cool to invite them to my soup. Turns out the shiso furikake was a delicious addition anyway. And I had togarashi on the table of course.

Sesame-Crusted Salmon with Cold Sesame Soba
For the main course, I brushed the salmon fillets with egg white + corn starch, then coated them with black & white sesame seeds and sauteed them in sunflower & toasted sesame oils. I served those on top of a ponzu-ginger reduction with a few drops of yuzu juice at the end, and served wasabi at the table, which was loving amazeballs.

I paired the salmon with a cold sesame somen/soba hybrid vegetable salad thing. I wanted not totally buckwheat noodles so as not to overpower the sesame, so the noodles were a wheat/buckwheat blend. The veg were asparagus, carrot, bell pepper, scallion, and pea sprouts. For the dressing, we see the return of the "mixed" sesame paste (OMFG DELICIOUS), toasted sesame oil, sunflower oil (not pictured), tons of ginger, mirin, rice vinegar, light-colored soy sauce, and a touch of brown sugar (not pictured).

Sesame Milk Tea
Now, before I go on to discuss some truly danger-zone-inducing desserts, I need to tell you about something that truly sucked. SESAME MILK TEA. It was terribad. I can't even think on how to improve it because I don't want to think about it again. It was toasted white sesame seeds made into milk, just as you would make nut milk, then made into milk tea, as you would make milk tea (a thing I love dearly and a waste of good matcha... all the honey in the world wouldn't fix it). So, goons, I hope you can forigve my drink-impairedness by the fact that I made two, yes TWO desserts.

Black Sesame Ice Cream
The best ice cream I've ever made, EVER. Like put more of this into my face RIGHT NOW. Credit to http://mysecondbreakfast.com/black-sesame-ice-cream-recipe/ for the recipe.

Sesame Bars
And finally, please redeem me from the sesame milk danger zone. Better than pecan squares (maybe?) sesame squares. Just a regular-old pecan squares recipe, with honey instead of corn syrup because I like honey. And I need to thank this recipe idea for informing me that the oven (most likely the thermostat) in my new home is broken. So after a day in a tepid oven, this thing spent 20 minutes in a toaster oven and still came out fantastic.

Yeah, it was late by the time we realized I could put it in the toaster oven... and there had been wine... and I may have already been hungover... which is why I managed not to get an ingredients-shot even though I totally remember setting one up. LANA!!!

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Holy crap, that all looks and sounds amazing (tea excepted) and I want to eat it all now (tea excepted).

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
Sorry you also fell victim to the sesame milk grossness. It made me almost throw in the towel. Adding rice seems to balance it out in case you wanted to try it again some time. The rest looks spectacular though, I really love the salmon. Super entry!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I had a shower epiphany and have started a replacement drink, but it needs some time. :D

^ Dude, as soon as I got to the word "throw" my mind immediately inserted "up" instead of "in the towel" because sesame milk is THAT GROSS. Thanks for the compliments.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 13, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Ok here's my new drink:

I'm calling it the Tan Tahitian (I know, my absurdly yellow kitchen sucks for tan contrast, and it's worse at night, when drinking happens)...

First, I toasted some black sesame seeds, then crushed them up a bit in a mortar & pestle, then used them to infuse some vodka (yeah, lovely vodka I had around for a pie crust experiment) for a week.

Then I filtered out about 25 mL for this drink and left the rest in to infuse more.

Then I added some kahlua and raw milk.

Was really, really good, especially with some newly acquired oat cookies from our newly acquired IKEA. Really brought out the sesame flavor.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

psychokitty posted:

Was really, really good, especially with some newly acquired oat cookies from our newly acquired IKEA. Really brought out the sesame flavor.

KAKOR HAVREFLARN are pretty great, but KAKOR CHOKLADFLARN are my favorite. We stockpile them in my house (nearest Ikea is MIAMI UGH)

Your entry is VÄLDIGT BRA, and I am jealous of your new Ikea.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Suspect Bucket posted:

KAKOR HAVREFLARN are pretty great, but KAKOR CHOKLADFLARN are my favorite. We stockpile them in my house (nearest Ikea is MIAMI UGH)

Your entry is VÄLDIGT BRA, and I am jealous of your new Ikea.

Yeah the KAKOR CHOKLADFLARN are what I have. Tack så mycket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

psychokitty posted:

Yeah the KAKOR CHOKLADFLARN are what I have. Tack så mycket!

Keep them dry! They can go stale and sticky super quick. I vacuum-seal mine in gallon size mason jars to keep 'em fresh.

• Locked thread