Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And I've got my character created, too!

"sn" is just short for "Short Name to Avoid Annoying Commisioner".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Added Space posted:

A nice feature to have would be a test character generator, so that you could easily test your build against other legal builds.

Pretty sure that's been mentioned as on the "to-do" list.

What I'm curious about, though, is how we're supposed to arrange the teams. A team of four people doesn't fit easily on a 3 wide starting line. Are we going to update the arena design, or play something unusual?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SynthOrange posted:

I think the only competitive archer build I saw was when the archer dropped the bow and just stabbed people with the arrows.

Incidentally, this is an eminently solvable problem, which is just a question of balance.

An arrow shot can be made arbitrarily powerful. I've tested souped-up shots that are less 'arrow' and more 'anti-tank round'. I can absolutely create a bow that will instantly obliterate any body part it brushes.

Archers can contribute, especially in team battles. Whether they're currently balanced or underpowered... well, that could be something that needs attention. But it is fixable.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Oh, god, my team is the overall largest in the arena and we're team 13. :stonk:

This is going to be a horrorshow one way or the other; figured I'd throw in a game to reflect that.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Godna posted:

Then it's agreed. We are team 13!

edit: I love our subtitle though.

This is the most half-cocked team I've ever been a part of. I love it. :haw:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So, fellow commissioners... how are we organizing things on our end?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Captaindirtnap posted:

General Question: Do our fighters gain skill through the course of a fight? I know everything is reset at the end, but could a really long, drag-out fight leave a fighter significantly more skillful for another opponent? Would a fighter with zero armor skill eventually wear that armor a bit easier as the fight goes on?

Yes, that can happen.

dasmause posted:

So I have a couple of questions: What's "edge" and "stopping power" and what are benefits of high weight equipment? I have guesses, but I wanna confirm
How much do skills dictate fighter's behaviour? Like, if a fighter is unarmed and has no offensive skills, will he fight? Or if a character is unarmed and has striking/wrestling, will he use kicks and/or bites?
Is there any sense having greaves and high boots? They both protect "lower legs", does that protection stack, or are low boots sufficient?

As far as what things do, a lot of times with Dwarf Fortress you kind of have to run off of statistics and/or guesswork. As far as skills and behavior, that just happens to be one I'm pretty confident about. If your fighter has something in his hands, that's his preferential weapon. He could be the world's greatest martial artist, but put a single woolen left sock in his hand, and he'll flap it at you forever. If he has multiple weapons (an axe and a dagger), he'll use the one he has more skill in most of the time. In case of a tie, including at zero, who knows. Given two axes, randomly he'll use the steel or the wooden one.

The exception to this are 'opportunity attacks'. If the chance arises, an AI fighter will take whatever opening is given. This is where you'll see them kicking in the upper arms or biting off torsos or whatever. Fighting seems to cause more of these.

If unarmed, I'm honestly not sure how skill weights the various unarmed attack methods.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My god, that fight was glorious. :allears: I am really surprised to have won. I take credit as the team punching bag tank another person who doesn't die when stabbed.

Godna posted:

So yeah. I may actually know NOTHING about what I'm doing :D.

so uhh...lets see definitely upgrading that weapon and getting a hat ASAP.

When we got assigned teams, my first thought was to get in contact with you all and actually try to plan something.

Then I saw Face and his wooden sword and realized there was no way to improve on perfection, so just let it sit.

If you want to be more effective, yeah, get any sort of metal sword and, at least in my experience, any amount of weapon skill outweighs any amount of fighting. The great/terrible thing about DF is it's hard to know for sure.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

If there was a way to have wooden swords as a separate sword skill using weapon in the arena that was blunt by design, I'd genuinely use it as a secondary (effectively) parry-only weapon on a sword user.

This is simplicity itself if you're not hung up on the terminology. It's a two-minute raw rewrite to add a main gauche or whatever that's labeled "sword, does blunt damage".

Spermy Smurf posted:

No poo poo. That entire team. Zeetoo. My dad. There were more but on my phone. Screw looking it up.

What did you guys figure out about spears?

I've used spears primarily for literally years at this point. Thanks for catching up. :smuggo:

Really, it's just that I've found it's a good weapon that, at least until now, wasn't used as much as I thought it should be. Nothing deep. I haven't had time to be proper tryhard with my build this tournament.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Captaindirtnap posted:

I have to agree with this one, especially since I don't think the advantage was common knowledge.

In fact, it's not on the site or in the OP in any fashion.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'll work on the last fight of the round later tonight.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round One, Fight Eight :siren:

On the left, our glorious home team:
Cool Rad Awesome Pals!
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a Soldier Antwoman with a terrible name, adamantine gauntlets and... that's it. Oh my god.
BS-45 "Apeliminator (alcharagia) is a whip-and-buckler strangler
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is armored in iron and hefting copper hammers in both hands. Naturally, a dwarf.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a kobold. She has a bow. You know what an archer looks like.

On the right, the dastardly invasive away team:
Lightly Whipped!
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a molemarian with silver whip, buckler, and leather armor.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a minotaur with a copper whip.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a gremlin with a steel helmet and an iron whip.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a strangler with a shield and a silver whip.

Well, that is a balanced and effective team with an answer to everything. These players may even have colluded with each other to create a theme. Teammates planning, crazy.

Krying fires first, but his shot pulls left, and he hits no one. Jimbo draws actual first blood, his hammer breaking Trump's arm. Apeliminator tackles Grimmik. A few more not particularly telling blows follow up.

Finally, Krying fumblingly reloads, and shoots another bolt. This one ruins Ghost-trees' guts, causing the mole to be sick. Maybe it can't feel pain, but it still has a digestive system. Had, technically. It wasn't in time for Punc, though; the mole's whip hurts her leg, and she can't keep on her feet.

Jimbo and Jupis exchange body-blows, the dwarf taking a bruise to his intestines while the strangler has a hand mutilated. Apeliminator, meanwhile, continues to make sport of the minotaur Trump, who's not having a good day. That lasts until the minotaur recalls she is bigger than the strangler, and slams her shoulder into the strangler.

The ant and the mole look like they're not going to be of much use. The mole is too busy puking to make a real attack, and the ant is... wait, she broke Ghost-trees' tail. Impressive, I guess, but that's going to take a while and the antwoman can't take much return damage as it tries. We'll just... leave these two to it. There's going to be a lot of ineffectual flailing.

While that happens, Jimbo smacks Jupis in the arm, and the strangler collapses into fetal position, where he stays until another smack splatters much of his brains and bits of his skull across the floor. With Apeliminator refusing to be pinned down and being very distracting, that seems to put CRAP in a dominant position.

The main melee is moving towards the mole and the ant, which you may recall is the most argued-over and least-well-regarded of Aesop's Fables. Krying shoots again, putting a hole in Grimmik' lower body.

The next important hit is when Trump gets close to Punc, and with a single slap, the bug is splattered. The fight is tied up again. Meanwhile, the peerless avatar of war that is Jimbo smacks Grimmik, crushing the foot. The gremlin faints dead away.

Apeliminator is still distracting the big guys on Lightly Whipped, giving Jimbo the chance to, uh, bruise Grimmik' belly. That is not quite how you typically finish a downed foe. Seemingly forgetting how to kill people, Jimbo plays the xylophone all up and down the gremlin's torso, while Apeliminator's luck finally runs out, and the minotaur knocks him over, stunning him, then follows up with yet another gut shot. God, this whole fight is nothing but gut shots.

Anyway, eventually Jimbo remembers where the parts are that make the other guys stop moving, so he smashes Grimmik' whole ribcage.

...Wait, what? Holy poo poo, Krying just managed a perfect shot on Ghost-Tree's head, and the molemarian just flops over, an arrow protruding from an eyesocket.

It's down to just Trump now, and the minotaur has three foes to contend with.

Even if she did handle the two melee foes, Krying is almost as far away as she was at the start of the fight, and she's hideously deadly. Not that it matters. Jimbo knows how this goes. Smack the foot, the enemy drops to the floor. Smack the head, they d--wait, they don't die? Trump's skull is smashed, but it still shielded the brain, and she's technically alive. It takes a few tries, and Apeliminator pitches in, as well. It's Jimbo who does the honors.

Apeliminator pukes in celebration. I know how you feel, buddy.

So... Bad Munki's team basically spotted the visitors a fighter, then still walked all up and down the opposition.

Final Score
Cool Rad Awesome Pals: 4
Lightly Whipped: 1

Kills
Jimbo Akimbo: 3
The Krying Bowbold Returns!: 1
Trump's Viscous Discharge: 1

MVP: Bad Munki...?

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 26, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FillInTheBlank posted:

Jupis was already dead. Please give my poor gremlin the proper death scene he deserves.

Whoops. :blush:

Should be corrected.

alcharagia posted:

Sure, he didn't get any kills, but the Apeliminator contributed and that's what's important. :colbert:

He did a heck of a lot in keeping people distracted so Krying and Jimbo could pick apart the enemy.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And that, roughly, was the plan for sn from the word go. Not deadly, just hard to make dead.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Right now a whole lot of the arena setup is automated, and I'd probably lose some commissioners if I asked them to do all of that extra work manually instead of using the arena macros :ohdear:

The primary thing I'm concerned about would be DF coding coming to a fore. I seem to recall that at least with this specific gimmick was that it (used to?) not just stab with one arrow. Each arrow stabbed like it was alone... as did the other 39.

Even if that's fixed or I'm misremembering, that's sort of a reason not to do such gimmicks. It's either not good, or else it does something insane and I don't want the game to devolve into really bizarre semi-buggy builds.

Tunicate posted:

For some reason Strangler Than Fiction is only targeting the legs.

... this is Dwarf Fortress, I have to ask. Did Toady model how short combatants have limited reach?

...Proooobably not?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Two, Fight Five :siren:

Left, we have our home team, The Petting Zoo!
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a troll soldier antwoman with daggers of various metals in every hand.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive Breath) is a minotaur with a weird assortment of armor and his martial arts for damage.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a molemarian with a copper scourge.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a serpent with hammer and shield.

Right, their challenging visitors, Spooky Scary Skeletons!
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a werewolf with hammer, shield, and armor.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a strangler with pick, shield and piecemeal armor.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a kobold with a bow. His crowning distinction is a leather cap. It's certainly decorative only.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a shield-and-halberd tigerman.

We open with Munki's quickdraw shot. The arrow hits Cowman in the shin, and the minotaur's leg gives out. A shattered bone does that.

He barely lets that slow him, though. Blender draws first melee blood, with a pick strike to Simon's arm. It isn't all in the away team's favor, though. Simon, the insensate mole, smashes Tash's paw. Antwoman's strategy seems to be working, too, as she deflects two attacks, then stabs Blender's arm.

Then, suddenly, Candy Corn, Blender and Simon collapse in a pile so quickly it was hard to pick apart the order. Finally, Stephen makes his first move, a hammer blow to Blender's neck that is the first hit of the fight that's not specifically to the left side of the target.

The melee is heavily intermixed. There are no battle lines. Cowman performs the classic sort of insane Dwarf Fortress wrestling maneuvers all over Blender, who's rapidly becoming a punching bag.

Severed limb alert! Candy Corn's halberd removes one of Antwoman's extraneous arms. She removes a leg in retaliation. Munki is not to be forgotten, either. His second shot lodges in the ant's head.

Meanwhile, Blender has tried to fend off Cowman with his pick, with startlingly successful results, as his pick to the minotaur's leg causes Cowman to pass out. Of course, then Stephen hits Blender with a hammer, paralyzing him. From the ground, the pathetic little creature bites Cowman's head, but his teeth encounter only silver helmet. This enrages the strangler beyond reason or sanity.

Candy Corn lays about further with his halberd, nearly severing Simon's weapon hand. The scourge falls to the floor. The fight is still technically anyone's game, but so far the visitors are probably doing better. Antwoman isn't having any of that, though. The plucky fencer puts a dagger into Candy Corn's lung. The left one, naturally.

Somehow, Blender is still in the game. He latches onto Cowman's head on his next attempt. Antwoman slips the deadly dagger into Candy Corn's internal organs, but doesn't see Tash winding up. The werewolf's home run swing overwhelms the poor ant's ability to withstand pain.

The melee is no less intermixed than before, and still no one has, technically, died. Stephen injects Blender with paralytic venom, with Simon attempting a me-too bite with almost as good of results, as the mole's worrying shreds the poor strangler's body.

Oh, Antwoman's hand just landed! Anyway, Simon's and Stephen's bite-off continues, each striving to do more telling damage to the strangler. As they do that, Tash's hammer of inevitability comes around again, and Antwoman is the first actual casualty.

A third shot from Munki. It flies and strikes Stephen in the hand. Finally, mercifully, Blender bleeds to death as the second casualty. Game calls the kill for Simon. Let's hear it for our biting champion!

Or is he? Stephen declares a rematch, and bites Candy Corn to signal round two. Simon is game. Both of them latch onto the big guy's head and start shaking it around. Rudely, Tash tries to interrupt the proceedings. It's like the visiting team has no manners at all. As if to emphasize this, some rude kobold named Munki puts a quarrel in Simon. Of course, the home team bites Tash for interrupting.

So, status check: Simon and Stephen are reduced to biting their foes, while Cowman is currently making a pretty good impression of a dead person because he's a wuss. Tash and Candy Corn are both pretty close to dead, passed out and fighting off snakeman venom and largely just hoping their assailants happen to die before they do. Bad Munki is the only uninjured combatant, standing off to one side and still occasionally putting an arrow in someone.

This is going to be a long one, folks. Eventually, repeated leg shots make Simon fall over. Finally, eventually, Cowman wakes up a bit, and the minotaur strangles Tash to death. Cheater. It's a Bite Fite (tm). Cowman also gores Candy Corn, and the tiger bleeds out.

So. There's three members of The Petting Zoo left alive. None of them have a weapon or are able to stand. Only Bad Munki and the unfathomable distance of half an arena is between them and victory. On the other side, Bad Munki needs to be able to finish off three opponents, or at least stay alive long enough for them to bleed to death, using nothing but a handful of arrows and some dodging. He should have a few chances to shoot as they get close, and all three are seriously hurt to the point that bleeding out is a possibility.

Who will actually win this?

Shot one. Munki hits Stephen in the arm, shattering the bone. There is no chance for shot two. Cowman is swifter than I expected, and kicks the bow, then as the kobold struggles to his feet, grabs the kobold by the throat and lifts him off the ground. The kobold passes out, but he's already drawn back his bow. A zero-distance shot is aimed at Cowman's head. Unfortunately, it misses the eye, and merely chips the minotaur's horn. Cowman puts pressure on his viselike grip, and The Petting Zoo wins.

Final Score
The Petting Zoo: 4
Spooky Scary Skeletons: 1

Kills
A Lost Cowman: 3
Simon Belmole: 1
Tash Al'rhyn: 1

Gotta confess, I never would have come up with the strategy of "have one guy pass out early in the fight, then wake up to save the day" myself.

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Klokwurk posted:

Awww.

Wait, what happened there?

Both charged the same target on the same 'tick'. Candy Corn knocked down the other guy, which left Three Gremlins in a Blender to run into him by accident.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Two, Fight Six :siren:

Left, Hell's Dentists!
Madmartigan (gbuchold) the molemarian with pick and shield.
The Abominable Gladiator (Pickled Tink) the yeti and her copper armor almost everywhere but her head, the shaggy fur rising above the plating like a snow cap.
In Like Flynn (grobbendonk) the dwarf with... well, the same equipment as the other two: copper armor (including helmet), iron pick, shield.
Krog Bonesmasha (astus) the elf with hammer and iron tipped extremities but bare torso.

Right, A furry, a farmer, and two cows pretty much handled all the describing for me already.
Goku (Galick) the tigerman has a silver warhammr and leather armor.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) has an iron pike and a mishmash of armor and basic humanity.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) the minotaur has a shield, copper armor, and a broad education.
Rob Ford (Tirius) the minotaur has a hammer, a shield and iron and copper armor.

Flynn is unable to keep up with his swifter teammates and their longer legs. Before he can get to the fight, Pike pikes Madmartigan. Abominable gently parts skin on Pike's eye in retaliation. Krog hits Rob in the arm, and shattered nerves can no longer tell the fingers to grasp the hammer.

Abominable daintily snatches at Pike's thumb, so Pike shifts the pike back and splits her lip open. She tosses him away.

Goku thinks the wounded Madmartigan looks like an easy target, and breaks his spine with a hammer blow. It... doesn't do much. The mole's pick comes around anyway, and shreds the tigerman's leg muscles. He collapses, and the pick just takes off his whole right arm. Ki attacks would have been the way to go, really.

Meanwhile, Pike has been airborne. Abominable punches him in midair, then he falls to the floor. Immediately adjacent, Madmartigan and Goku are savaging each other; the mole's lost the ability to stand and his breathing is labored, and the cat, of course, is down a limb, and the Dentist team member slightly missed the "mouth" thing and instead pulls out the tiger's eye.

With ponderous movements, Abominable reminds us she's not to be forgotten, kicking Pike in the nose so hard that it's smashed into a lump of undifferentiated flesh. She then grabs him by the ear, tears at his foot, and when he doesn't come apart immediately body slams him to the ground, where he loses consciousness.

Meanwhile, Goku suffers worse and worse. You can't win a damage exchange with a mole, and Abominable and Krob both take shots at him as well.

I'm not forgetting Flynn or the minotaurs, mind. Flynn keeps holding their attention, especially Rob Ford's, but they just aren't hurting each other... until now. Flynn catches the Canadian minotaur off guard, and Rob Ford loses a lung and consciousness at the same moment. One, two more strikes and the minotaur is put down with brutal efficiency.

So that's one member of the visitor's team dead, another out of commission, one being three-on-one savaged, one that's trying to put down the mole. On the home team, two members are untouched, one's only got a split lip, and the last one is the mole who's tanking all hits.

All hits.

Anyway, Flynn sneaks up behind Min/Max and seems determined to do an encore performance, striking the minotaur twice and jumping away to avoid return attacks. Not to be outdone, Abominable takes a look at the pick that Goku is holding, and grabs it. But that's not what Goku is using. Goku is using his teeth. He actually bites off the mole's left hand, spitting the severed part on the ground. This convinces Abominable to let go of the pick. Going to bite Madmartigan, hey? Once, maybe. But never twice. The mole's shield is in his other hand, and he smashes all the fangs out of Goku's mouth.

Hell's Dentists indeed.

Teeeeeeth.

Anyway, the mauled-beyond-recognition Goku is dealt a killing blow from behind, courtesy of Flynn.

More dentistry? Sadly, little comes of this.

MadMartigan is still in the fight.

A weird sort of stasis comes over the fight, here. Pick is down and certainly out, but still breathes, and his armor is baffling attempts to cave his skull in. The raging Min/Max rampages a bit, but Krog and a broken hand put a stop to that. Now it's just down to the four Hell's Dentists to put the kibosh on their two downed foes.

Eventually, Abominable remembers how strong she is, and just punches Pike at an angle where his helmet doesn't protect him. What's left is not identifiable as a "head". Finally, Flynn and his pick arrive to help Min/Max's brain demonstrate mitosis, and the fight is over.

What an utterly one-sided, flawless victory for Hell's Dentists. Three dentists in essentially 100% condition, two of them completely untouched, and the last clearly an intentional tank.

Final Score
Hell's Dentists: 4
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 0

Kills
In Like Flynn: 3
The Abominable Gladiator: 1

Combat Log

Oh, and the final disposition of teeth?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
It's worth noting that how meaningful the home team advantage is will change as we get to further rounds. I'm not sure in what direction, but it will; as more points trickle in, skills will go up, and thus the amount of difference changes. In absolute terms, it's ever more points for the home team (weapon skill 10 to weapon skill 11 is more points than 3 to 4), but the total ranks might mean it's not as large (I believe weaponskill 4 vs 3 is more of an advantage than 11 vs 10).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Two, Fight Eight :siren:

To the left, Go big and/or go home can't go home because they're already home:
Snowshank Redemption (A good poster) the yeti has iron mail and a copper dagger.
Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Iunnrais) the tigerman has a leather gi and nothing else.
3 Wolf Moon Shirt (iLonie) the werewolf has an iron sword and leather armor.
Slam Whale Willy (potatomanjack) the werewolf has mace and buckler

On the right, the themed team Lightly Whipped!
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a molemarian with silver whip, buckler, and leather armor.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a minotaur who has dropped her whip since last fight.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a gremlin with a steel helmet and an iron whip.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a strangler with a shield and a silver whip.

Trump rushes way out in front, and gets herself stabbed in the hand for her trouble, courtesy of Moon Shirt. Grimmik is sent flying by Willy's silver mace. Redemption's dagger smashes the bone of Ghost-trees's hand, making the mole drop his whip. Moon Shirt tries to follow up, but his blow is a glancing one. The flying Grimmik bounces off the ground, his helmet the only thing keeping his brains from literally smearing the ground.

The mole comes apart further; Redemption cuts a foot off. Moon Shirt stabs Trump again, repeatedly. Willy smashes in one of Jupis's hands. This, uh, is all going one way, folks. Lightly Whipped have yet to make a single telling blow.

Moon Shirt stabs Trump one last time, shredding the brain. One down.

Oh, hey, there's Ghost-trees's foot again. Anyway, Willy keeps beating on Jupis. The strangler falls over.

Lightly Whipped are in retreat. In the south, Willy caves in Jupis's brain. Up north, the molemarian is seriously hurt but still roughly functional save for his loss of weapon, while Grimmik is busy still utterly freaking out. These turn out to be roughly comparable strategies. Redemption removes Ghost-trees's shield arm, and Hobbes punches Grimmik in the guts, then stumbles into Redemption and falls over. Smooth, Hobbes.

A bite from Redemption knocks over Ghost-trees, who is rapidly running out of limbs. Moon Shirt chopping another foot off doesn't help things. The werewolf stabs Ghost-trees in heart and brain both, and the molemarian is put down.

Can Grimmik manage a come-from-behind victory and defeat all four of the big guys?

Probably not.

Moon Shirt deals the killing blow as the gremlin bleeds out.

That was not a fight. That was an execution.

That was all the injuries Go big and/or go home sustained.

Final Score
Go big and/or go home: 4
Lightly Whipped: 0

Kills
3 Wolf Moon Shirt: 3
Slam Whale Willy: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 31, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"best overall records" is pretty close to "best K-D", since that'd be the tie breaker if two teams are 8 and 8 or whatever. In fact, it's actually kind of hard to have a better K-D ratio than a team that has more overall wins than you. Yes, it's mathematically possible (team that always wins or loses 4-0 vs a team that always gets at least 3 kills), but I think winning should count for something and... those possibilities are hard in practice.

I'm for A, and I would be very surprised if that didn't match "C" in practice.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

jon joe posted:

I think it's distinct difference, however, that a team who 3-4s or 2-4s consistently can go over a team that 0-4s or 4-0s with more victories; instead of having kill-deaths be the tie breaker, it should be the primary measure with victories coming in to settle ties of kill-death. This places more emphasis on the killing, which is plus for us spectators. That's the main draw; I imagine that in effect A and C would be very similar, yes, but because it leads to positive (for the audience) strategy change, C is better.

I'm actually okay with either way, but... what's the difference? What, as a player, am I likely to do differently to kill more enemies when we lose?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Spermy is 100% correct here. Multiple weapons does not grant any extra normal attacks, nor can you control which one your gladiator fights with, if they're all the same base item (gladiators will prefer to attack with a weapon they have more skill in rather than less, so a swordsman uses a wooden sword preferentially over a steel spear, but if given a wooden sword and a steel one, it's up in the air). Also, sometimes they'll stick a hundred percent to one weapon (barring injury or dismemberment making that impossible), and other times they seem to mix it up more than opportunity attacks allow. I haven't been able to pin this one down yet.

I'm fairly sure, through testing repeatedly, that multiple weapons each get their own parry chance, though, so Antwoman should be quite the parry master. I know I ran one of her fights, but I don't recall the character build, so this is me making a guess based on write-ups and combat logs, not Gospel truth: there's probably three things holding her back. One of them is a points deficiency; weapons are expensive, so I doubt she has as much weapon skill as some others. Second, parrying does nothing against charges and the like, so being small is still a problem to be overcome when big enemies can knock her down and stun her.

Third, parrying is not the most exciting thing to report. Check the combat logs; she parries a fair bit both fights so far, but this notably averts the commissioner writing something down about exciting gore.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Silverminnow posted:

So what we're basically saying here is that multiple different weapons isn't a great idea, if only because it's too unreliable. Multiple of the same weapon can work, but it's very expensive due to weapon costs being quite high. It's probably a better idea to get decent armor/dodging/a shield that would lessen the chances of your opponent making you drop your weapon than using multiple of the same kind. Dwarf Fortress is a strange beast though, and obviously any given match can go completely the opposite of what is expected. Half of the fun of these tournaments is trying weird/crazy builds to see if they work at all.

Well, I've tried out things like "a soldier ant with one mace and three daggers and skill one level higher with the former than the latter". But it's never been pointwise viable. It's an interesting alternative to "weapon and multiple shields", but so far never seen the math make it work, and no one else has actually fielded it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

jon joe posted:

What about an antwoman with a bow and melee weapon? Will she alternate between firing and moving closer until she's in melee, and then mostly use the melee weapon?

Sometimes she shoots, sometimes she decides "hey, this mace is cooler".

If you can figure out something she'll reliably do, please let me know. No, please; it's not for an advantage in this tournament, but it does play into a side project I might be working on.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

What might that be?

Well, not very 'side'. Arena, just with new and different things. Like throwing axes and javelins. Not going to do too much with it at least during this season, but I'm trying to make things as new and different as possible without throwing the balance completely out the window.

Cythereal posted:

Survival gauntlet, maybe? Folks create their gladiators which are then pitted against creatures and monsters of escalating danger in the arena. Say, round one is a war dog that each gladiator must face in the arena. Those who survive get more points and go on to face something more dangerous in round two.

That's an interesting thought, but a bit more ambitious than I was, so far!

Coward posted:

What if the antwoman was packing two crossbows? Does she fire at a faster rate, or is the second crossbow used for parrying (the AI picks a crossbow to use every time one is reloaded)?

Don't think so. I don't think they reliably use the second stack, either. Please feel free to try it and let me know, though.

jon joe posted:

What if you gave her a ranged weapon but absolutely 0 ranged skills? Would she limit her bow use to just safe potshots then?

She'd just keep shooting. "use weapon" overwhelms "what are my skills", and the AI knows that bows and crossbows are used by shooting, and beating someone with the launcher is a last resort, no matter how skilled you might be at that one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight One :siren:

This fight was Plump Helmets at home vs A Tarantino Film visiting.

Sorry, folks, but I lost my write up and screenshots in a computer crash. I did save the combat log, though, so:

Final Score
A Tarantino Film: 4
Plump Helmets: 1

Kills
Uma Thurman: 2
Solomon Rabinowitz: 1
Urist McLee: 1
Josie the Bludgeonatrix: 1

Combat Log

Sorry, folks. Couldn't resist. But I wasn't going to start with a game with that high of betting totals.
For real:
:siren: Round Three, Fight One :siren:

To the left, our home team, A furry, a farmer, and two cows, who have lost on the road but are finally back where they belong. This may be the edge they need.
Goku (Galick) the tigerman has a silver warhammer and mixed leather and copper armor.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) has an iron pike and a mishmash of armor to supplement basic humanity.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) the minotaur has a shield, copper armor, and a broad education.
Rob Ford (Tirius) the minotaur has a hammer, a shield and iron and copper armor.

On the right, the visitors. The Petting Zoo have lost at home before, and this is their first fight on the road. Still, they're not to be underestimated; this is a team that has performed come-from-behind miracles as recently as last round.
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a soldier antwoman with daggers of various metals in every hand.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive Breath) is a minotaur with a weird assortment of armor and his martial arts for damage.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a molemarian with a copper scourge and some copper armor.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a serpent with hammer and shield.

Min/Max is the fastest fighter by a good half a step. Cowman is the first up to bat to face her. She swings the buckler around, and nails him in the gut with the edge. Cowman fights back nasuea and tries a counter-punch, but copper proves too much for him to handle. Pike attacks from the shadows, but leather proves enough to stop his iron-tipped pike. The first stab, at least. The second nails Cowman's foot to the floor. Cowman is definitely the punching bag so far. Even Goku gets a shot in.

Meanwhile, Goku gets stabbed in the arm by Antwoman, and retaliates by hammering her arm. She loses one dagger. Min/Max and Rob Ford both run at Simon, who wriggles out of the way so the two behemoths slam into each other, instead. Antwoman stabs Goku again, but this time she targets a foot, and the tiger man falls over.

The fight has become a series of duels. Antwoman vs Goku, which she's probably winning. Pike vs Cowman, with the human finding Cowman playing "this little piggy" on his feet. Min/Max vs Stephen, with the serpent smashing bones through armor, but the minotaur tackling for stunning advantage. Rob Ford vs Simon is... going nowhere fast.

The first duel concludes. Pike puts a decisive thrust in to Cowman's head. Massive brain trauma kills the minotaur instantly. Antwoman is still almost holding her own, but Goku is a burly target, even without Pike joining in the fray.

It's not all one way, though. Simon lashes Rob Ford in the arm, and the hit shatters the minotaur's shield arm. He passes out from pain. Antwoman has put Goku in such a state, as well, and is focusing what remains of her weapon limbs on Pike.

She did it. She actually did it. Antwoman stabs a dagger at Pike so hard that he gives in to pain, as well. Now, if she can deal the finishing blow to her two foes, and Simon can do the same to Rob Ford, The Petting Zoo could win. Of course, if they don't do it in a timely manner, then Min/Max might well finish off Stephen the snake before long (he's not doing well), then blindside the failing executioners for her own victory.

I write these things as I go, folks; this is live and I don't know which future will be.

Next kill. Antwoman stabs hard enough to break through tiger skull, and Goku dies. God, look at what Min/Max is doing to the still-fighting Stephen, though. She's biting his intestines out!

She's run him clean up against his own starting position! Stephen is down and out of consciousness! But, uh, now Min/Max has given up on that biting thing that was working, and is trying to beat his brains in with an oak buckler. So... that's two fighters dead, three unconscious, and three taking one apiece of the unconscious ones to fail to kill by smacking them in the head.

It's Antwoman who first wins her head-smashing fight. Pike goes down. Of course, she can't easily help either of her living teammates, since her feet are mangled and she can't stand. So the other two brain-bongos play on for a good while. Finally, she reaches Min/Max, and knows just how to bring down the minotaur: biting her in the head protected by a copper helm. This does not actually produce many results. She does distract Min/Max, though, and the two begin a probably-final duel. When Antwoman scrambles away, Min/Max turns back to Stephen, letting Antwoman try another head-bite.

I'm speechless, folks.

Finally, though, Antwoman manages a leg shot, and Min/Max falls down. Of course, it's still anyone's game, but that was a very important shot that took away Min/Max's best remaining weapon: charging. Not that it matters. Antwoman next puts an iron dagger into Min/Max's hand, and the minotaur is out like a light.

Back to failed killshots. It's still possible that one of the Cows will wake up and slaughter everyone, or Antwoman will bleed to death, but otherwise, that's probably it, folks. Eventually, Antwoman finishes off Min/Max. Now, maybe she can... eventually... go help Simon kill Rob Ford.

It will be quite a journey, though. It's long enough that even Stephen wakes up to join her. Still, Antwoman had a head start.

Two stabs, and she's done what Simon could not.

Final Score
The Petting Zoo: 4
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 1

Kills
Antwoman: 4
Dontellim Pike: 1

Once again, The Petting Zoo has won in a weird reversal of fortunes.

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ablative posted:

According to Ctrl-F, the line:

Simon Belmole (Petting Zoo) lashes Rob Ford (Furry Farm) in the head with his copper scourge, but the attack is deflected by Rob Ford (Furry Farm)'s large copper helm!

appears in this combat log 56 goddamn times.

That's actually misleading!

In the game, sometimes the same line appearing more than once gets a (x2) or (x3) or whatever appended after it. The gamelog.txt version loses this.

It might have been more like eighty smacks.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight Two :siren:

Lightly Whipped, the home team, is on the left side of the arena, and they really deserve to not have to wait until the very end for once.
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a male molemarian. He wields a silver whip and a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a female minotaur. She is empty handed and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a male gremlin. He wields an iron whip and wears a steel helm.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a male strangler. He wields a silver whip and a wooden shield and wears no armor.

The undefeated Subterranean Animists, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena. Of course, it's their first time on the road...
Braun Strowman (Frozen_Flame) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields three copper short swords and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, iron leggings, and iron gauntlets.
Baldwin (captaindirtnap) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, and iron gauntlets.
Qwarf (C7ty1) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron breast plate, and iron gauntlets.
Dusseldwarf (decoy badger) is a female dwarf. She wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets and iron low boots.

Subterranean Animists is a 3.67 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 4340.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1182.00 dwarfbucks for Lightly Whipped.

If you can't tell most of the above was pre-written by Jazzimus' automatic script, though I threw in my own touches to try to keep it personal. Not that most of you will see much difference, but this is a great feature to use.

The Animists advance in perfect lockstep. Of course, what else would you expect from a phalanx of four dwarves? The Whipped are less synchronized, with Trump by far the fastest fighter on the field. Almost immediately, Trump gets a spear in the intestines, courtesy of Qwarf. Dizzy from nausea, she can't avoid Dusseldwarf stabbing her in the same place. It's too much. She's down. Dusseldwarf keeps on execution duty, stabbing the minotaur in the head repeatedly.

Meanwhile, the one weird-looking dwarf on the Animists smashs open Ghost-trees's foot, with distraction assistance from Baldwin, as the whole team fends off the whips of their opponents. It doesn't take long for Dusseldwarf to break enough of Trump's skull for another to give the minotaur a lethal splitting headache, either.

Braun bites Ghost-trees in the head. It's not very effective. In response, Lightly Whipped lands their first blow of any sort, with Ghost-trees hitting Braun with his silver whip, crushing one of Braun's arms, which oozes antwoman dwarf ichor all over the floor. In response, Braun puts a sword through the molemarian's weapon hand, and the silver whip falls to the floor.

For a while, Grimmik and Jupis had been standing off the spear dwarves, but eventually Dusseldwarf slips a hit on one. The slippery Grimmik is grounded, meat torn away from leg bone, then taking a similar arm shot. She moves on, stabbing the gremlin in the chest.

This private fight between Grimmik and Dusseldwarf is in the south, with the rest of the teams piled up north, where Jupis finds Qwarf's spear in his stomach. Both fights are going similarly. Ghost-trees is suffering death by a thousand cuts, and Dusseldwarf is chopping up Grimmik's legs like he's a Thanksgiving turkey.

It's not all the away team's way, though. Jupis catches Baldwin in the leg, giving him a nasty bruise, then, more meaningfully, hits his arm so hard the blood explodes like an overfilled water balloon. He'll feel that in the morning... and he's lost his spear. Also, Ghost-trees's teeth find Braun's leg, biting effectively even through dwarvish exoskeleton.

Ghost-trees's hand goes flying, courtesy of an increasingly desperate Braun, but Braun's entire leg is messily shredded by Ghost-trees's worrying bite, then eventually what remains is torn away completely. This comeback isn't in time for Grimmik, who bleeds to death from Dusseldwarf's brutal dismemberment.

Going to take a moment to digress and mention that Grimmik's leg is still airborne, two Z-levels up. It's also leaving a visible blood trail on the arena floor.

Anyway, Qwarf puts a spear through the so-far juggernaut of Ghost-trees, collapsing a lung, not that the mole cares, as he tries to finish off Braun. Jupis even hits Baldwin in the gut, and the dwarf fights his suddenly-rebelling gut. Jupis ruins Dusseldwarf's right hand with another whip.

It's like Lightly Whipped just needed to warm up. They're coming back. Hell, if you count the bits of Ghost-trees separately, they might even outnumber the Animists, and now a berserk rage has overtaken Ghost-trees. Qwarf expertly manages to chop out Ghost-trees's tongue, though, along with a few other pointless extremities like left ears. Not that that is going to stop Ghost-trees! Unless he bleeds to death. He bleeds to death about now.

Jupis is alone, now, but not nearly as outmatched as that sounds. First, he's still in good shape. Braun is more likely to bleed out than wake up. Baldwin is too busy puking and trying not to suffocate to help out much. Dusseldwarf has lost her spear and has faltered since. Only Qwarf is fighting fit, which means the teams are, in a weird fashion, not as unbalanced now as they look, thanks to this sudden stubborn refusal to die from Lightly Whipped.

Qwarf isn't going to be an easy foe, though; he stabs off one of Jupis's hands. Jupis has more targets to distract him, and picks... less wisely, if effectively. Under his whip, Baldwin has his spine broken. He's paralyzed.

It was a fatal mistake to turn his back on Qwarf, though. Qwarf tears through lung and ribcage with a stab from behind, and suddenly Jupis is in serious trouble, unable to breath or think from the pain. Merciless Qwarf puts down the last foe with the savage brutality he's shown all fight.

Final Score
Subterranean Animists: 4
Lightly Whipped: 0

This... feels misleading. That could have been 4-2 with very little changed.

Kills
Qwarf: 2
Dusseldwarf: 2

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 4, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Captaindirtnap posted:

I gotta say, being disarmed is a big problem when you can't bite effectively. Thank god for Quarf's sure grip and Braun's genetic condition.

Should my iron gauntlets have stopped the lash to the lower forearm? I didn't even see a mention of armor in the combat log.

:shrug: Dwarf Fortress. It's not that it's not there, it just doesn't always get mentioned. I think it's just how things are noted. Any time it "explodes into gore" or one of a few other phrasings, I'm pretty sure armor isn't actually mentioned.

goatface posted:

I am not getting my promised first strikes :mad:

You were too fast. Check the picture. You actually crossed the midpoint. So, yeah, avoid one attack, make one attack and hey look here's two more.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight Three :siren:

Cool Rad Awesome Pals, the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She wears adamantine gauntlets and still nothing else.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a bronze whip and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm and leather gauntlets.
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is a male dwarf. He wields a copper war hammer and a copper war hammer and wears an iron helm and an iron mail shirt.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow.

Go big and/or go home, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Snowshank Redemption (A good poster) is a male yeti. He wields a copper large dagger and wears an iron mail shirt.
Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Iunnrais) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears leather armor.
3 Wolf Moon Shirt (iLonie) is a male werewolf. He wields an iron two-handed sword and wears a leather cap, leather armor, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Slam Whale Willy (potatomanjack) is a male werewolf. He wields a silver mace and a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, a copper mail shirt, and leather high boots.

Go big and/or go home is a 1.23 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 1544.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1257.00 dwarfbucks for Cool Rad Awesome Pals.

All in all, the betting is fairly even this fight. The away team is actually favored, despite the fact that both have won at home and lost on the road prior to this. I guess the consensus wisdom is that a huge battle-line will run roughshod over Krying's screen and the bowbold won't have time to be decisive. Let's find out if that's warranted!

Complete whiff. Didn't even generate a report.

Moon Shirt hits first, tearing open Apeliminator's foot. The strangler collapses to the floor. Punc throws a punch at Snowshank, somehow missing the mountainous yeti, avoids an attack from Hobbes, then Snowshank connects with a dagger. Punc loses a foot and is also dropped to the ground.

Jimbo and Apeliminator hit Moon Shirt, but the werewolf is tough enough to keep rolling even with that. Moon Shirt hits Apeliminator again, and the strangler's higher mental processes turn off. Meanwhile, Hobbes picks up Punc and starts scratching at her. She bites him, drawing blood.

Willy manages his first attack of the evening about this time, hitting Apeliminator in the chest. Snowshank puts a dagger to Jimbo's gut, and the dwarf is trying hard not to lose his liquid lunch. He hits Snowshank in response, hammer snapping the yeti's arm like bones were twigs.

Go big and/or go home have literally encircled the smaller three foes; the green x is sick Jimbo, and the other two are on the same tiles as Jimbo and Snowshank. Punc throws a haymaker at Hobbes, who catches it on his palm, then punches back in retaliation. An entire arm is well described as "splattered". This is why other combat sports have weight classes. Another kick, and Hobbes has put down Punc. Snowshank kneels down to place his dagger in Jimbo's Achilles' heel, and the dwarf checks out.

Krying hasn't had a chance for a second shot yet. CRAP's forward line has crumbled so fast that, if you kept this at full speed instead of blow-by-blow, Go big and/or go home have hardly even slowed.

The second shot flies! As it is airborne, Snowshank gouges at Apeliminator, wielding his dagger like a spoon. He scoops out much of the strangler's internal organs. Both bits die. Meanwhile, Jimbo is puking in his pained sleep.

And Willy jumps away from the arrow. It flies at Snowshank, who similarly leans away. Hobbes's eye flicks around to see it at zero distance. The arrow puts out his right eye, sticking firmly. That was an excellent trick shot. Pity about it not having the force or speed to actually pierce straight through all three's heads in a row. Go big encircle Jimbo, picking on the poor bastard. It's Snowshank who does the honors, stabbing so hard that copper pierces iron and skull alike.

So, it's time for Krying to stage a single-handed comeback, now that she's lulled the enemy into a false sense of security.

Wait for it...

No. Moon Shirt stabs both legs, one coming all the way off and the other mostly. Willy smashes her skull. Hobbes grabs at her teeth. Willy crushes her arrow-holding hand. Hobbes twists a thumb. Moon Shirt decapitates her. Snowshank couldn't even reach the kobold, because his other teammates were already in the way.

An archer can be a pretty good aid, but only if given a chance to contribute. Which means the enemy has to slow down and fight. The front line this time were roughly comparable to a thick fog.

Final Score
Go big and/or go home: 4
Cool Rad Awesome Pals: 0

Kills
3 Wolf Moon Shirt: 1
Snowshank Redemption: 2
Tyler Durden is Hobbes: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ramc posted:

What a brutal win. Normally a bowman can get 3 shots by the time foes get close. Did he only manage 2 shots?

That was two shots total, yes.

It wasn't that the fights was entirely one way; CRAP did some damage. It just all went quickly. No faffing about here.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight Four :siren:

Spooky Scary Skeletons , the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a copper mail shirt and leather gauntlets.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper cap, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears no armor.

Hell's Dentists, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Madmartigan (gbuchold) is a male molemarian. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears no armor.
The Abominable Gladiator (Pickled Tink) is a female yeti. She is empty handed and wears a copper mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
In Like Flynn (grobbendonk) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, an iron mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Krog Bonesmasha (astus) is a male elf. He wields a copper war hammer and wears an iron helm, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.

Hell's Dentists is a 1.04 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 6933.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 6635.00 dwarfbucks for Spooky Scary Skeletons .

Interestingly, this is basically a duel for top of the leaderboards in betting; the top two have each put the vast majority of their dwarfbucks on this fight. One is going to double his money, and one is going to be reduced to penury.

First arrow. Abominable finds it in her spine.

It doesn't slow her. It does... slow Flynn, though? :confused: Why the hell is the dwarf so slow? Before he even gets close, Tash has hit Madmartigan twice in the left arm, crunching bone. The mole loses his pick. Then Three Gremlins chops off his foot, too.

A second shot is in the air. Flynn has only even gotten halfway to the melee. As the quarrel flies, Abominable removes one of Three Gremlins's hands with a scratch. The arrow hits. Krog finds it in his pancreas. Three Gremlins does an overhand swing at Abominable, and the yeti collapses with a thunderous crash. Flynn reaches the melee now, though! He tries a swing at Three Gremlins, and misses. Utterly disdaining the dwarf, Three Gremlins chops down again, and Abominable is dead.

Krog and Candy Corn have been dueling for a while, basically ineffectually. Madmartigan is fighting the other two melee members of Spooky Scary Skeletons, and they're carving him like a turkey (jumping away means that they're a space away in the above screenshot). Flynn is one space from anyone, so we'll get back to him in another hour.

A third arrow flies. As it's in the air, Madmartigan dies, courtesy of a removed neck due to Three Gremlins's pick. Then, the arrow hits Krog again.

The larger half of the Dentists lies dead. The elf can't handle arrows, and the dwarf... I don't know. Too much weight? Even with his thick armor, Candy Corn breaks his spine with a thrust. He's still conscious, but he's a quadrapeligic. Everyone beats up on him. Three Gremlins deals the fatal blow, then turns around and removes Krog's hand.

Another arrow flies, but this time Krog steps aside.

And there is Flynn's arm. Even his bits fly through the air slowly. Candy Corn chops at Krog, putting the elf out.

Still another arrow flies. See, this is how you shoot properly: you do it quickly. It hits, but Candy Corn gets the kill, splitting Krog completely in twain, vertically.

Final Score
Spooky Scary Skeletons: 4
Hell's Dentists: 0

Kills
Candy Corn Tiger: 1
Three Gremlins in a Blender: 3

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight Five :siren:

Worker Cooperative, the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Combat Liberalism (Jack the Lad) is a female gremlin. She wields a copper large dagger and wears no armor.
Unthrottle the Axolotl (Zwingley) is a female kobold. She wields a copper scourge and wears no armor.
Jameson the Unruly (alvie) is a male human. He wields an iron two-handed sword and wears a copper cap, a copper breast plate, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Albrik the Insignificant (Tiler Kiwi) is a male kobold. He wields an iron battleaxe and wears leather leggings and leather low boots.

Team Laser Explosion, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Anthony (dasmause) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Mogwai (Dark Off) is a female gremlin. She wields a copper large dagger and an iron buckler and wears no armor.
Molegrim (Maugrim) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm and leather gauntlets.
Turquoise Tonic (Hihohe) is a male human. He wields a silver mace and wears a copper cap, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.

Worker Cooperative is a 2.26 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 3250.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1436.00 dwarfbucks for Team Laser Explosion.

Of some note is how similar these teams really are. Each fields a gremlin with a copper dagger. Both field a human with one-handed weapon and plenty of armor. One side has a pair of kobolds and the other a tiger and a mole, though. Will size or skill win out?

Teams are well-matched in speed this time. Albrik draws first blood, battle axe catching Molegrim's rear foot. In response, and in literally the same moment, Molegrim stabs back, mangling Albrik's left hand, and Anthony punches Liberalism, smashing her right wing leg. Liberalism takes more than a few stabs at Anthony, in fact, only to be stymied by the tiger's iron armor. Meanwhile, the tiger's fists have no trouble battering the smaller fighter mercilessly.

Unthrottle manages to break Anthony's tail with her scourge. Liberalism decides another gremlin is more her weight class, and exchanges stabs with Mogwai, with Mogwai coming away the worse. The two have more different builds than their similar equipment suggests, and it's no surprise to me as I stand behind the curtain that Liberalism is the winner.

Anthony punches Unthrottle in the neck, and spine cracks. The spinal column is still together, though, so Unthrottle is in the fight.

Anthony is beating up on Liberalism, here, but it's not really anything decisive yet. Jameson stabs away at Mogwai, who is still not doing well. Basically, Mogwai is not doing well this fight.

Then, again at the same moment, Liberalism stabs Anthony and Mogwai stab Liberalism, and both targets give into pain. This is weirdly close to a mirror fight, folks. South of there, Molegrim stabs Albrik in the head, a merely glancing blow, but a reminder of how hard it is to fight a mole unless you land an instantly lethal blow. Of course, now that Anthony is down, he's only improved his tanking abilities. Unthrottle starts trying to beat his skull in, not realizing that copper scourge against a big guy's iron helmet is not a quick winner. Mogwai is trying to deal Liberalism a fatal blow, but so far she's not having luck, either. Albrik eventually finds he's footloose. In the sense that his foot is kind of loosely connected to the leg, I mean.

The humans are fighting, too, I guess. Both of them have injured the other, but it's Jameson who seems to be winning. He might have a seriously damaged arm, but Tonic has outright lost his weapon hand.

Jameson dances away from Tonic, towards Molegrim... the mole attacks... Jameson counters and stabs off a foot. The visitors are probably losing, slightly. Unthrottle hits the weaponless Tonic in the foot, and the human crumples to the ground. Albrik and Jameson double-team Molegrim, who's beginning to look the worse for it.

Meanwhile, Tonic finally gives up and goes out. Unthrottle begins trying to beat on his skull, instead, with a lot more success. Humans have smaller skulls than tigers, I suppose. And Mogwai just cannot kill Liberalism. Laser Explosion really need his attention elsewhere, but almost double-digit head shots haven't worked yet.

Eventually, Tonic passes away. It took Unthrottle a mere five headshots to kill him. Moments later, Molegrim moves to dodge Albrik's axe, but accidentally goes both ways. Top half goes one way, bottom half the other.

It's not all their way. Liberalism finally dies, but it's bloodloss. Mogwai gets the kill, technically, but this bodes ill for the gremlin's ability to mount a counter-offensive. Unthrottle isn't going to make it easy on her; that scourge catches her arm painfully, and her dagger drops to the floor. Laser Explosion have quite literally no more weapons.

Meanwhile, Anthony is still tanking. Jameson can't break that iron helm, either. Mogwai bleeds to death, and the game awards it to Unthrottle. Anthony is the last of the visiting team. He was the first to fall, but the last to die. It's a long time coming, but eventually Jameson strikes him down.

The gore, this time, did not go everywhere. It's pretty concentrated, really.

Combat Log

Final Score
Worker Cooperative: 4
Team Laser Explosion: 1

Kills
Jameson the Unruly: 1
Unthrottle the Axolotl: 2
Albrik the Insignificant: 1
Mogwai: 1

Also... sorry, folks, but my work schedule is changing and I probably can't keep pumping out games like I have been this week. It's going to be a few days at a minimum before I can run another.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round 3, Fight 5 :siren:

(But for real this time)

The Plump Helmets, the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Dory (my dad) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper spear and wears a bronze cap, a bronze mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and bronze high boots.
James LargeSausage (Afriscipio) is a male human. He wields an iron halberd and wears a copper cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Josie the Bludgeonatrix (Ramc) is a female elf. She wields a copper mace and a wooden shield and wears leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Return of Panty Thief (Mr. Vile) is a male yeti. He is empty handed and wears a bronze helm, a bronze breast plate, bronze greaves, bronze gauntlets, and bronze low boots, and his reputation for crowd-pleasing over-the-top violence is well-established.

A Tarantino Film, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Uma Thurman (AnoHito) is a female human. She wields a steel two-handed sword and wears leather armor.
Urist McLee (Fuubi) is a male dwarf. He is empty handed and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Snarls Barkley (Bene Elim) is a female werewolf. She wields a bronze pike and a wooden shield and wears no armor.
Solomon Rabinowitz (Added Space) is a male serpent man. He is empty handed and wears a steel helm, a steel mail shirt, steel gauntlets, and steel high boots.

The Plump Helmets are a 2.04 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 11702.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 5749.00 dwarfbucks for A Tarantino Film.

Josie and Snarls are our speedsters today, though the first shot is blocked. The first actual damage is James, whose halberd removes Uma's foot. Uma falls over, then, from the floor, manages to bite Dory's eyelid. In response, Dory puts a copper spear to Uma, stabbing her so hard that her spleen ruptures and her teeth cannot maintain their eyelid grip.

Also, Snarls bites off James's teeth.

Back to Uma. More attacks from Dory and James. It doesn't take many more for James to chop her head off. The Plump Helmets have taken an early, if not unexpected, lead. Solomon the anklebiter bites Panty's ankle, but finds greaves in the way and starts grieving.

Positioning? Hah! Urist happily stands in the center of everything, defying anyone to attack him. James chops at his foot. Uh, didn't this just happen? Urist attempts to break James's toes, so Josie breaks his leg with her mace. Urist is not as wimpy as Uma, though. He bulls through, then punchs James in the gut, hard enough that James is suddenly worried about blowing chunks. James manages one more attack, slightly damaging one of Urist's toes. That's too much. Urist is down.

But, wait, what's this? Before that, Solomon bit James in the leg! Paralytic venom floods through him. He pukes. Even as he's ralphing it up, Josie brains Urist.

Two down, two to go.

James probably won't be much more help, though. Puking, paralyzed, unconscious, and disarmed. Snarls and Solomon are unharmed, completely. Panty Thief hasn't bothered to be useful yet. So it's still sort of two on two.

Oh, and James finally has his tooth land next to him.

So, now Snarls is up to bat. Surely he'll do better than the two fallen teammates. Dory stabs him in two limbs and he's lost his shield and his consciousness. Oh, and now James has managed to overcome paralysis. Surely the rest of those issues will go away shortly, too.

Dory stabs Snarls one more time, and the skull outright shatters. One foe remains.

Panty has been fighting with Solomon for a bit. It's... not gone well for the serpent. Armor prevents his bites, and so far he's been stunned by Panty's charge.

More teeth land.

Panty throws Solomon into the air by one finger, punches him in midair, and then Solomon falls to the floor. Josie thinks Solomon isn't doing it right, and demonstrates by biting him. Panty and Dory try more effective methods. Solomon is not doing well. It's actually still Josie who puts him out, though, as shaking him around with her mouth puts him out.

Now it's a race between Josie's mace of skull-fractures, the sheer force of Dory's spear, and Panty's chiropracty to see who gets the kill. Even as Panty chokes him, though, it's Josie who actually breaks his brain.

Final Score
The Plump Helmets: 4
A Tarantino Film: 0

Kills
Josie the Bludgeonatrix: 2
Dory: 1
James LargeSausage: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm also in favor of removing it. I think it's an unnecessary thumb on the scales of team building and/or luck.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Maaaan, I was working on a fight, too!

:siren: Round 4, Fight 6 :siren:

The Plump Helmets is on the left side of the arena.
Dory (my dad) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper spear and wears a bronze cap, a bronze mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and bronze high boots.
James LargeSausage (Afriscipio) is a male human. He wields an iron halberd and wears a copper cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Josie the Bludgeonatrix (Ramc) is a female elf. She wields a copper mace and a wooden shield and wears leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Return of Panty Thief (Mr. Vile) is a male yeti. He is empty handed and wears a bronze helm, a bronze breast plate, bronze greaves, bronze gauntlets, and bronze low boots.

Spooky Scary Skeletons is on the right side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a copper mail shirt and leather gauntlets.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper cap, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears bronze gauntlets.

The Plump Helmets is a 1.40 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 12310.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 8794.00 dwarfbucks for Spooky Scary Skeletons.

So here's a bit of trivia for you: did you know that the away team's name is actually (spaces replaced by underscores) "Spooky_Scary_Skeletons_"? It's true!

Shot fired, shot hit. Dory has her arm broken by a steel arrow.

The melee begins. Candy Corn stabs Josie in the arm. She loses her shield.

Another shot already? :stare: As it's in the air, James stabs Tash, crushing her ribcage. She's down! The arrow hits Dory again, shredding her liver. She's out as well! That's one member from each team unable to contribute. James follows up, lopping off Tash's head. While his attention was tied up, though, Candy Corn charges him and knocks him back, stunned. The tiger's halberd mangles the human's leg.

Three Gremlins chops off Josie's weapon hand, at the same moment Candy Corn removes James's foot. Where is Panty Thief in all of this? His teammates need him, or their flawless record is likely not to stay so flawless.

Standing apart from the fight, doing nothing, of course! Meanwhile, Three Gremlins lands the killing blow on Dory. That's a kill on each side. Of couse, Candy Corn is pulling apart James. There goes the halberd-holding arm! The Plump Helmets have literally no weapons left between them; James and Josie dropped theirs, and Panty Thief didn't bring one in the first place.

Another shot. Again as it's in the air, a critical blow is struck. Candy Corn dealt James the killing blow. He then whips around and removes Josie's head a split second before Bad Munki's arrow could hit.

Until I checked the log, I thought it was the arrow that had done her in. Now it won't hit anyone. Panty Thief may not have contributed, but he's also not hurt. Can he carry the day? He starts with Three Gremlins, ignoring Candy Corn's ineffective halberd.

Another shot. Again as it's in the air, Panty Thief is struck true. Candy Corn gives him some broken ribs.

Good shot. You didn't even get close, kobold. Candy Corn has to keep at it, instead, breaking Panty Thief's leg. It looks like the beginning of the end. Candy Corn and Three Gremlins continue ripping up Panty Thief, who is not carrying the day so far.

Another shot whiffs. Panty Thief finds Candy Corn's halberd splitting his skull.

Just because you're top dog in your division doesn't mean you're not outmatched by the rest of the teams.

Final Score
The Plump Helmets: 1
Spooky Scary Skeletons: 4

Kills
Candy Corn Tiger: 3
Three Gremlins in a Blender: 1
James LargeSausage: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ramc posted:

I figured with all the shields they had a pretty good shot at not just being rushed down, yeah.

EDIT: In the combat log did you name both James AND Josie 'Josie'?

Possibly!

Oh, well; accurate fight logs are for nerds

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The arts are excellent, and inspired me to find the time for this, this morning.

:siren: Round 4, Fight 3 :siren:

Lightly Whipped is on the left side of the arena.
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a male molemarian. He wields a silver whip and a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a female minotaur. She is empty handed and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a male gremlin. He wields an iron whip and wears a steel helm.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a male strangler. He wields a silver whip and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm.

Worse Munki is on the right side of the arena.
Experiment Twenty-Two (fallingdownjoe) is a female tigerman. She wields a copper long sword and a copper shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Strangler Than Fiction (Tunicate) is a female strangler. She is empty handed and wears an iron helm, a platinum mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and copper low boots.
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS (Pittsburgh Lambic) is a male elf. He wields a silver war hammer and wears leather leggings and leather high boots.
Chaz Steadyfist (Segway Rave) is a male werewolf. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a silver helm, leather armor, and leather gauntlets.

Worse Munki is a 2.77 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 8446.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3051.00 dwarfbucks for Lightly Whipped. It is a mystery for the ages why Lightly Whipped has so little faith from the public.

Sriracha is the fastest fighter on the field, but somehow wanders away so he doesn't get the first attack. The first actual damage is Fiction, biting away most of Trump's finger. In response, Trump hits Fiction in the head. Strangler Than Fiction is slain instantly, head flattened by minotaur horn. Lightly Whipped have their second kill of the tournament, and an early lead on this fight.

It's not the only fight on the field, though. Twenty-Two hacks up Ghost-Trees's foot, and Chaz manages a glancing blow on Grimmik.

The fight splits in two. Twenty-Two pulls aside Trump and Ghost-Trees, and the other four have a two-vs-two further south. Twenty-Two seems able to handle both of her foes, stabbing Trump as well and fending off the mole with her shield. Trump does manage a few hits... but copper armor means all she can deal is mild bruising. Twenty-Two's sword keeps hacking up the two foes, though, and soon Trump is unconscious. The southern melee... is so far largely inconclusive.

Trump survives multiple skull fractures. Grimmik actually was even further away a minute ago. Not sure what he's up to. Jupis gets his foot pancaked by Sriracha, falling over. Moments later, Jupis is beheaded by Chaz's halberd. Apparently we all hate stranglers today. Grimmik shows up again.

Sriracha bashes him in the guts and he's queasy. Sriracha and Chaz work over the tiny fighter. Chaz deals a lethal blow. So much for Lightly Whipped's early lead.

The dynamic duo arrive on the opposite side of Ghost-Trees from Twenty-Two, and hurt him further. Ghost-Trees has been disarmed and largely neutralized, in practical terms. Chaz steps away to split open Trump's head.

Meanwhile, Sriracha is torturing the mole, who can't feel pain. Bone after bone is broken by the elf's silver hammer. Unwilling to let Chaz work his magic again, the elf finally executes a leaping smash and the mole collapses, brainless.

Lightly Whipped are truly our whipping boys.

Final Score
Lightly Whipped: 1
Worse Munki: 4

Kills
Trump's Viscous Discharge: 1
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS: 1
Chaz Steadyfist: 3

Combat Log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Sorry guys, I'm going to stop doing so much image editing so that maybe I can crank these fights out rather than one a day.

:siren: Round 4, Fight 4 :siren:

Terribly expected, but, hey, we got a kill! :toot: