Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Hooray! I did not miss the signups this time.

The Abominable Gladiator is ready. I know that Yeti's have a sad history of failing miserably, but then again so do I, so it is a match made in heaven.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The upcoming Arena Challenge Season Five will feature a group of fighting teams slogging through a season of 18 matches in order to qualify for a single-elimination playoff! Will your team have what it takes to raise this year's Murder Bowl trophy?
Is that 18 total matches, or 18 tournament rounds (Eg. each team gets 18 matches)? Because with the 16 team split 18 matches doesn't really sound like much.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
One last set of questions:

1: Has the games automatic variability of created creatures in the arena been dealt with (Super muscular yeti one round, super weak yeti the next)?

2: Will we be getting points to spend after each round (In addition to the participation bonus points)? Or just during the playoffs? This is not specified in the OP.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't believe it was done randomly last time. As I recall it basically just counted people off into teams, so (using this tournaments team total) signups 1, 17, 33, and 49 all got the same team.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was right on how teams were assigned. Yay me.

To my fellow members of Team 2: I will not stop being a Yeti.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Astus posted:

Oh, for the other three guys in "Bronzestabbed Debate Team", I don't really feel like that name is very fitting. How about "Dead Guys Gonna Die"?
We have to think positive!

I am absolutely positive we are going to die horribly

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Against my better judgement, I have placed all my dwarfbucks on my own team. I hope Spermy Smurf appreciates my donation to his round 2 betting fund.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 17, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Anchors posted:

Min/maxotaur finds your statement offensive and declares war on all gimmick characters!
My gimmick Yeti takes that as a challenge and, assuming she doesn't pass out from a stubbed toe, looks forward to smashing Min/Maxotaur to paste in rounds 2 and 17!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
A quick question for Jazzimus Prime, so I know how doomed I am:

Do gauntlets, gloves, and boots cover the fingers and toes? I recall reading that they didn't at one point, and I am suddenly worried about my Achilles toes.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Which commissioner is most amenable to bribes? Asking for a friend.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Would it be possible to link or store the write-ups of each fight in addition to the combat log on the site? Finding a particular fight at present is presently only slightly less painful than ripping out toenails with pliers.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
A Yeti was finally something other than useless! :magical:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Godna posted:

I figured a wooden weapon was better then no weapon.
As a veteran of adventure mode using wooden weapons, I have to say that a wooden weapon is actually worse than no weapon until your weapon skill is about 10-20 levels past legendary. You are essentially hitting people with a light club, except without the benefit of armour bypass that maces and hammers bring to the table.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Should we be concerned that the home team has won every single match so far?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's still early. If the home teams are undefeated after the first two rounds, I could look at shortening the tournament to just a six-round home-and-home vs each divisional opponent (i.e. eliminate the 12 rounds of intradivisional matches), with the playoff semifinals and finals taking place on a neutral site. It seems wrong to otherwise change the rules after the tournament has started though.
I'm just wondering what the nature and size of the home team advantage is.

And changing the rules is fine so long as it is between rounds, rather than in the middle of a round of matches. At least then everyone has the same chance of benefiting/losing from them. Hell, you could even hand out bonus points every three or six rounds which would have the effect of lessening the impact of a home team advantage as the tournament goes on.

My concern is not at all brought on by the fact that my own team is the visiting team mostly in the first nine rounds. I'm just concerned that at present it may very well be overshadowing the builds etc themselves. Mind you, at least two of the visiting team losses have had appalling builds, so it may not be as bad as I think it is.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would have thought buffing the Fighter skill a level would have been both easier and fairer.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those of us who followed the last thread know it was talked about, but I don't think the specifics were laid out there (I wasn't even sure it was implemented until I asked). Going direct highest skill seems pretty damned horrible though. For example, I took wrestling 10 (spoilers), and wrestling 11 won't make much of a difference for me at all since I'm pretty sure almost no one took wrestling, especially not to that extent (Plus my Yeti is huge). I also know a bunch of people took two skills of the same level (Armour and weapon). Boosting the armour skill would have a much different (and smaller) effect on the fight than buffing the weapon skill (In fact, I would have advised selling down the armour skill a point had I known how it worked).

Fighting is factored in indirectly and would have been a more effective stand-in place-holder for a morale bonus (With archery for ranged characters?).

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
We've had five fights done so far. Spermy has run four, Galick has run one.

And the issue is that the current setup for the home advantage provides a non-trivial advantage, and is set up in a way that would have drastically altered builds had people known how it worked, especially on my team.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My concern is that the home advantage is a non-trivial boost, and it means that it is looking pretty easy to guess who will win every fight. I dunno about the rest of you, but I find that a little dull.

Now yes, my team is visiting this round, so we'll probably eat a loss unless Spermy's team is all dumb builds and/or we get really lucky. I'm perfectly happy to eat a loss this round and carry on through the rest of the tournament with a much weaker home team advantage change made just so that I can actually not know which team will almost certainly be the winner of each match.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
:tinfoil: I'm certain Jazzimus Prime did this because of the earlier discussion. :tinfoil:

I am pleased with the Yeti's ability to take at least some punishment before passing out from pain.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It is nice seeing an archer actually be pretty useful. I recall in the previous team tournaments they weren't anything to write home about.

Well, only one last match left in the round.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
So few people are willing to bet against the Hell's Dentists. It's like they don't want my money :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's a blatant lie! We didn't really coordinate at all, and we spent almost the entire time pre-tournament arguing over our team name, and then how to punctuate our team name!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

jon joe posted:

While Bad Munki's misplaced bet may have given Pickled Tink a large proceed, I am glad others jumped on the obvious winning team enough for me to keep my place as #1 better!
I'll overtake you! just you wait and see! :argh:

I wonder what it is with Yeti's throwing people by their fingers and toes. Is it some cultural thing for them? Maybe they believe it is the weak point of all creatures given their history of devastating toe related defeats.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

jon joe posted:

1) Are we voting now on whether or not to remove Home Team Advantage?

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's still only a sample size of 14, but the home team has won at a 78% clip. That's not as bad as it was, but I was expecting the percentage to be in the 60s going into this, and I didn't have a chance to run enough tests to verify.

After the third round, the thread can hold a vote on whether to keep home field for the interdivisional matches (rounds 4 through 15), or whether to have them all moved to a neutral site.

The final three rounds of the season are all intradivisional again, and will feature all of the visiting teams from the first three rounds hosting the teams that they visited in the first three rounds, for the sake of balance and fairness.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I say we just put the top 8 teams in regardless of what division they are in (So if your division utterly sucks, no one from it advances). Use most kills as first tiebreaker, then least deaths if that fails. If those are tied, make them fight it out in an arena and stick an angry giant in the middle with a silver maul.

I also propose a losers bracket for the 8 worst teams where the loser advances to the next round, so we can find the worst of the worst.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
With the first three rounds out of the way, I vote to abolish the home team advantage.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
The game assigns kills to the last person to hit the victim. This led to fun in Bronzestabbed when the turkey beast kovest immolated the army and a bunch of the kills got awarded to some random animal man who got shanked in the caverns. This wouldn't have been so bad if the fortress engravers hadn't insisted on immortalising this historical lie on the wall of the fortress (And I believe a few statues were made of it).

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Unless there are at least three votes against it in the next 24 hours, I'd like to award GreyPowerVan a bonus of 1000 dwarfbucks for managing the first fighter to ever have been emasculated in the arena.
As an opponent to fun, I say nay! Give him a loincloth to hide his shame!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hooray! I killed someone. I really killed someone :eyepop:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Er... I thought martial trance was supposed to be removed? Oh well, c'est la vie.
Nope.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Dwarf
Size: 60
Strength: +
Agility: -
Toughness: +
Endurance: +
Focus: ++
Spatial Sense: ++
Sometimes enter Martial Trance when facing superior numbers
1200 points
May use 1-handedly: buckler, shield, large dagger, whip, short sword, scourge, spear, battleaxe, pick, mace, war hammer
May use 2-handedly: maul, great axe, flail, long sword, crossbow

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

They don't deserve names yet. One belongs to the Petting Zoo, one besmirches the Spooky Scary Skeletons, one befouls Cool Rad Awesome Pals, one blights A Tarantino Film, two cripple a Furry, Farmer and two Cows, two execrate the name of This Bites and three render Lightly Whipped even more of the ultimate laughing stock.

Until any of them kill someone, they are dead to me. :colbert:

(Except my teammate. They alone have merit amongst the unblooded.)
Without names, how can we mock them? (Said as a person who's gladiator only barely escaped the unblooded category last round).

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I bought my first level of kicker. The Abominable Gladiator's martial arts prowess grows greater!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It is nice to see the ten levels of wrestling pay off with a throw worthy of a Yeti Dentist.

Reading the combat log, apparently my decision to swap out a copper mail shirt for a new and improved bronze mail shirt paid off in preventing serious leg injuries. Also, there was a nice joint lock in there on Jameson the Unruly, collapsing his right shoulder.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Anthony is being knocked down by Abominable over and over again. The tigerman gets to his feet, attempts and attack and is bowled over again. Abominable comes up with an iron mail shirt somehow and begins whipping uselessly at Anthony with it. I really don't get it, I can't find where he would have gotten ahold of it. He was biting, kicking, punching and then all of a sudden in the logs he's holding a shirt and swinging it like an idiot.

dasmause posted:

Can you strip armor from other fighters? Cause Anthony has an iron shirt
Yes. If they grab a persons held or worn object and then get forced apart, a good wrestler will often win the the contest for the item.

Unsurprisingly, in the combat log:

quote:

Abominable Gladiator_HELL grabs Anthony_LASER by the large iron mail shirt with her left hand!

Also, with the fights already being run out of order, and the now large delays between individual fights, can we get some kind of notice that a round has ended to do our tweaking?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

All these mid-season weapon swappers should at least be able to get the first few ranks of their skills over the next few fights. You know, until the skill costs skyrocket.
That is actually a good idea. I should give The Abominable Gladiator some misc object user skill so she can more effectively beat people to death with their own armour/limbs.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I had to guess, I would say the punching attacks passing right through are where the game is making the attack using a limb that has been destroyed and/or removed. Since there is no limb to make the attack, the blow simply passes through the opponent without harm.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Get ready for mystery boxes, everyone. We really could have a forgotten beast appear in the arena as a third team.
I wasn't aware those could be spawned in the arena.

E: Unless you are spawning a cow with amnesia or something.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: Mistake.

I am feeling really bad about the betting on the next dentists match. Most of it is just Jon Joe :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
And you still bet on us? You're mad!