Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ArbitraryC posted:

Is it really projected that women are going to vote more for Hillary just to shoot for that first woman potus status because that is the lamest reason in the world to vote for someone. I guess going by her response to how she's different from b-rock the islamic shock went over it shouldn't surprise me, but it still would be incredibly disappointing.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ArbitraryC posted:

Is it really projected that women are going to vote more for Hillary just to shoot for that first woman potus status because that is the lamest reason in the world to vote for someone. I guess going by her response to how she's different from b-rock the islamic shock went over it shouldn't surprise me, but it still would be incredibly disappointing.

2nd wave feminism is pretty big on winning through the system and a lot of middle age women are 2nd wave feminists.

its at least a common enough philosophy to matter to some people.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will women be more disappointed with Hillary's presidency than blacks were with Obama's presidency?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Will women be more disappointed with Hillary's presidency than blacks were with Obama's presidency?

ugh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dan Didio posted:

How old are you?

'88 and '76 are really the only elections where this is even debatable

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be nice to see the separated demographics

Its in the link

Also y'all are pretty loving sense if you can't figure out why some women are pretty stoked for the idea of the first woman president especially when she's from the party you support

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

so according to this poll, bernie won the debate among those who watched it. im pretty surprised, im not sure i would have even said that

The most surprising thing about this poll is that 8% of the respondents voted for O'Malley.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the most charismatic certainly dont always win primaries though

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

EugeneJ posted:

Is blacks being upset with Obama's presidency a thing? Any research:? or is it just the upset people are the loudest.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its not, black approval rating of obama is like 85%. eugenej is just very dumb

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Hasn't the most charismatic candidate won the presidential election every time in our lifetimes?

yeah, but a big part of charisma is saying what the other person wants to hear (or convincing them that what you're saying is what they want to hear), the most expert handwaggles, headnoddings, and heartwarming smiles won't mean much if the person is still trying to burn out time saying nonsensical gibberish or shouting stuff you know is bad.

Sanders doesn't have any big interests to sate or bridges to leave unburned, so he can get a shitload of charisma just by advocating what people already want to hear in a genuine manner. Even if he speaks a decible louder than everyone else and has wild hair he's still saying "poor people need help and college costs way too drat much", while the other guys are saying "ah eh well, I represented wall street so i couldnt help then, but I promise now that if maybe the banks perhaps do bad things, i'l tell them 'hey, quit it you guys.'"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't even say '88, really.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dan Didio posted:

really that one comes down to who is the biggest goober and the jury is still out

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

really that one comes down to who is the biggest goober and the jury is still out

Yeah, I mean neither of them were winning personalities, but it's hard to be 'charismatic' with the kind of metaphorical weight Dukakis carried through that election.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I just think it's a really poor reason. There aren't policy differences between bernie and hillary on women's issues and bernie has an overall better record on human rights issues in general. I guess you could make the argument that Hillary might prioritize them more, but honestly I'd be doubtful about that because she's more beholden to corporate interests than bernie is and stuff like family leave are going to be fought tooth and nail by the people funding her campaign. I understand it could be viewed as a symbollic victory putting a woman in the white house but I guess I just think she should get there for policy reasons rather than her lack of penis in itself. Like if you're a pro woman economic centrist then fine knock yourself out, but if you're pro woman economic leftist bernie is the better choice on paper.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I really wish ballots didn't have party affiliation on them and/or that no states did straight ticket voting.

this tends to work out pretty well for democrats, when it's practiced, because the stuff they support tends to be stuff 70% of americans support, until they learn that's a liberal view that some democrat is pushing

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

its not, black approval rating of obama is like 85%. eugenej is just very dumb

Is he canadian? cause if so that makes more sense.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, the guy who said the most memorable line of that campaign didn't get elected.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Obama is actually a pretty good example because he did roughly jack poo poo about the industrial prison complex and non-violent drug offenders, I mean it was nice that he had a bunch of good soundbites where he took a dump on racist stuff but he never actually effected any positive policies there to my recollection. Voting for obama cause he was black didn't really pan out for anyone.

I voted for Stewart Alexander last cycle for reference cause his policies matched what I wanted the most of any candidate before someone tries to make a dumb gotcha out of this.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You think that Nixon was more charismatic then McGovern? (For the really old ones among us).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I just think it's a really poor reason. There aren't policy differences between bernie and hillary on women's issues and bernie has an overall better record on human rights issues in general. I guess you could make the argument that Hillary might prioritize them more, but honestly I'd be doubtful about that because she's more beholden to corporate interests than bernie is and stuff like family leave are going to be fought tooth and nail by the people funding her campaign. I understand it could be viewed as a symbollic victory putting a woman in the white house but I guess I just think she should get there for policy reasons rather than her lack of penis in itself. Like if you're a pro woman economic centrist then fine knock yourself out, but if you're pro woman economic leftist bernie is the better choice on paper.

Why do you think a woman's perspective is purely 'symbolic'?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Ibogaine posted:

You think that Nixon was more charismatic then McGovern? (For the really old ones among us).

McGovern, what a name

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Why do you think a woman's perspective is purely 'symbolic'?
This is such an unfair trap question I'm not even going to bother answering it and instead will just pose one back at you:

If carly were the R nom and the D was a man, should women vote for carly for a woman's perspective?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

This is such an unfair trap question I'm not even going to bother answering it

Then why did you say it?

ArbitraryC posted:

If carly were the R nom and the D was a man, should women vote for carly for a woman's perspective?

If they value that perspective, they should vote how they best see fit, personally, to get it represented in the upper echelons of political power, sure. But I thought we were talking about prospective Democrat voters, voting in the Democratic primary?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Obama is actually a pretty good example because he did roughly jack poo poo about the industrial prison complex and non-violent drug offenders, I mean it was nice that he had a bunch of good soundbites where he took a dump on racist stuff but he never actually effected any positive policies there to my recollection. Voting for obama cause he was black didn't really pan out for anyone.

I voted for Stewart Alexander last cycle for reference cause his policies matched what I wanted the most of any candidate before someone tries to make a dumb gotcha out of this.

the holder doj was the strongest enforcer of the VRA in recent memory, at least until the supreme court went "lmao racism over" and gutted it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Smoremaster posted:

McGovern, what a name

It's a top tier president name.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

If they value that perspective, they should vote how they best see fit, personally, to get it represented in the upper echelons of political power, sure.

hmmmmmm

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bernie was on Ellen today so his favorabilty with women should improve right

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hmmmmmm.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Then why did you say it?
Where did I say that it was "purely"?

quote:

If they value that perspective, they should vote how they best see fit, personally, to get it represented in the upper echelons of political power, sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_CyDI87Rc
looollllll

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Where did I say that it was "purely"?

quote:

I understand it could be viewed as a symbollic victory putting a woman in the white house but I guess I just think she should get there for policy reasons rather than her lack of penis in itself.

If your view is that outside of their pre-recorded policy positions Hillary's experiences as a woman amount to a 'could be viewed' symbolic victory, and that voting for her on any basis like that is 'disappointing', then the only reasonable conclusion is that you think a candidate's gender is meaningless outside of symbolism.

Do you think that the differences between how men and women experience society are purely 'symbolic' or not?

I'm not really concerned about you telling some hypothetical, non-existent irrelevant woman how to vote, but more the thing where you do it for real, existing women. Stay on target.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Voting for obama cause he was black didn't really pan out for anyone.

I don't think you really have any authority to make this claim.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
a lot of women agree with carly fiorina. a lot of women agree with trump. its a hosed up world out there; stay safe.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

If your view is that outside of their pre-recorded policy positions Hillary's experiences as a woman amount to a 'could be viewed' symbolic victory, and that voting for her on any basis like that is 'disappointing', then the only reasonable conclusion is that you think a candidate's gender is meaningless outside of symbolism.

Do you think that the differences between how men and women experience society are purely 'symbolic' or not?

I'm not really concerned about you telling some hypothetical, non-existent irrelevant woman how to vote, but more the thing where you do it for real, existing women. Stay on target.
Did Margaret Thatcher getting elected prime minister amount to a victory for feminism in the UK? Pretty sure Crass didn't think so.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

a lot of women agree with carly fiorina. a lot of women agree with trump.

As a humble progressive, I just don't think they should be able to vote.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think people should be able to vote for whatever heinous jabbering freak they want. this is america and we stand for freedom.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rscott posted:

Did Margaret Thatcher getting elected prime minister amount to a victory for feminism in the UK? Pretty sure Crass didn't think so.

No, and I haven't said anything to suggest that it would, or that I would believe it did. The fact that people keep dodging questions and bringing up odd, irrelevant tangents tells me that people here probably aren't arguing in good faith, like me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

i think people should be able to vote for whatever heinous jabbering freak they want. this is america and we stand for freedom.

I think, actually, they should be murdered.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Actually if you stopped being disingenuous for two seconds and read the previous sentences in that very paragraph you'll see that I hint at something that is both another reason (meaning you're "purely" symbollic line is a flat out bald face lie wrt to what I said, there was literally a second reason in that very post) and something that strangely seems to be referencing a woman's perspective might prioritize different issues, the exact point you're trying to pretend I don't believe in because you're being an annoying person.

ArbitraryC posted:

"them" being women's issues, I just disagree with that idea because I think when push comes to shove the people who paid for her campaign aren't going to support stuff like maternity leave and paying for birth control.

Dan Didio posted:

Maybe I was subtly hinting that policy is the important part that has the biggest impact on the most people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this is also why, as a christian and firm believer in traditional family values, im voting for a guy whose job is standing in the surf at the beach screaming racial epithets at the waves

• Locked thread