Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Louisgod posted:

Incredibly hosed up CNN didn't ask what their secret security names would be

i actually would have liked one 5 second "fun" question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sanders did good, hillary did good. ultimately bernie just needs name recognition more than anything and this will do a good job of that. i dont think bernie is going to shoot up but he may gain like 5 points.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

bernie flubbed one or two questions at the beginning, but got stronger especially after the emails stuff. hillary was pretty consistently good through it all.

ya, i think what bernie did is fine. until he has like 95% name recognition he needs to keep on keepin on.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol this cnn panel raised their hands for both bernie and hillary when asked who won the debate

thats basically what happened, so yeah.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i just want someone who has policies i agree w/ and i dont give a gently caress about their gender

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crazy eights posted:

Lol at pretending Hillary is significantly left of any of the republicans.

she is and you're an idiot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
last i recall bernie sanders, among all other candidates, received tickets to distribute to the debate, and i believe cnn also got to invite people too, and bernie sanders receive insane amounts of applause, sometimes rivaling and even beating hillary! its almost as if when hillary states leftist positions that are very close to bernie sanders, perhaps even more eloquently, that she will get about as much applause as he will. weird, i know.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

paranoid randroid posted:

hillary is heinous machine politics garbage but, hell, shes our heinous machine politics garbage

as far as machine politicians go, she aint half bad you know

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dahbadu posted:

Bernie's applause was more natural. He obvious had supporters in the audience as well, but not nearly as many as Clinton.

you're literally insane. i say this as a bernie sanders supporter.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
salon.com is garbage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Philip Rivers posted:

The biggest issue with the public education system is that schools receive a huge majority of their funding from property taxes. If you live somewhere with a low property value, if you live somewhere urban and densely populated, you simply aren't going to be bringing enough money into the school district to do anything about the problems. Meanwhile, rich kids get a poo poo ton more money coming in, and even in places with private/prep school kids, their family's property taxes go to funding the school district. It's the #1 problem with public education and it's not even really close.

yeah i grew up in a very, very wealthy suburb (10% are legit millionaires, some very famous) and our public school system was loving absurdly well funded and we had absolutely tiny classes with tons of extra-curricular activities, there were definitely a few things that werent like absolutely perfect but when i compare notes with my uncle who is a bronx principal, the difference is absolutely staggering how many of his kids at starving, how big the classes are (double in size, on average), they don't have anything after school, at all, basically, no art program, no music program, etc.

we probably should have a group fund where poorer neighborhoods get some of the property taxes of the rich to make up the diff.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

vyst posted:

Maybe there should be a culture change in America that not everyone needs to go to college and that if more emphasis was placed on getting quality elementary/secondary education then people wouldn't have to go into $texas debt to get a decent job. Of course the elitist corporate world wouldn't allow that, and nobody is going to go to trade schools when they give off the perception of a "lower class job" even though a fuckin electrician makes more money than a 10 year seasoned school teacher.

"free public college" should also include things like vocational schools and you can choose to become an electrician or learn about how much plato likes farts if you really want to waste your degree, basically.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the reason people are shamed into not taking trade jobs is they often take a huge physical toll on your body and the parents who did that job could feel their bodies deteriorating, as well as, at the time, desk jobs paying as well if not better to the average worker, meant that college really was the best path until college costs blew way out of proportion.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counteroffer: promise him the position of Secretary of Veterans Affairs, put him to work where him constantly bringing up Vietnam would be appreciated. :unsmith:

yeah tbh i just saw clinton, sanders, 2 cabinet members, and a guy who showed up to the first day of his campaign

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, please don't put O'Malley in any kind of position, last thing we need is a stats-juker.

i never said i want him to be one, just that i saw one.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ArbitraryC posted:

By what metric did Hilary win though, literally every focus group on every news agency thought bernie won, including loving fox news, and while online polls do tend to favor fringe candidates bernie wrecked those too. Obviously we should wait for the more scientifically robust polls and focus groups before making conclusions but I think there's significantly more evidence suggesting that people thought bernie came across as a passionate populist and hilary came across as a plastic politician. It just seems dumb to keep repeating "hilary won" based off nothing other than a bunch of suit wearing white people clapping at one of Bernie's first major events that exposed him to people who weren't already following his campaign.

favor is a pretty underwhelming word for how much online polls favor people like bernie and ron paul (i am not equating the two, but they have significant amounts of millennials/tech users as their base)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
seriously tho, i dont really see the problem with the debate, they both did well, hillary was more polished, if bernie was better prepared and had the sort of answers he did later on for early on in the debate. not necessarily rehearsed, but he knew his stance, he could have pulled out a win for sure. he also needs to point out policy differences of his opponent for them, even if he doesn't attack them for it.

"clinton, on record, has done x, or is supported by y. i'd like to hear how she plans on balancing this". question her into a hole. make her embarrass herself without ever attacking her.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Amused to Death posted:

That google poll looked good until I saw 80% of respondents were men, which creates an issue since there is a gender gap in Bernie vs Hillary support. Alsomthe poll skews heavily young on top of it

they weighted down mens influence (tho it looks like it was still 70% after being weighted?)

anime was right has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ArbitraryC posted:

Is it really projected that women are going to vote more for Hillary just to shoot for that first woman potus status because that is the lamest reason in the world to vote for someone. I guess going by her response to how she's different from b-rock the islamic shock went over it shouldn't surprise me, but it still would be incredibly disappointing.

2nd wave feminism is pretty big on winning through the system and a lot of middle age women are 2nd wave feminists.

its at least a common enough philosophy to matter to some people.

• Locked thread