Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
in that they are constructs of nostalgia and also very cool and exclusively used by yours truly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEaSHhQRe0

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
yes, that nostalgia that 19-year-olds have for 1985

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's not the same but I have nostalgia for things from before I was born, probably because they were "around" when I was growing up. I wasn't harshly exposed to 1985 in 1985 as much as I was exposed to 70s stuff my parents had and their music etc.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the sound of drowning in a shopping mall

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
probably sounds the same as recompiling your kernel like some kind of cave man

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

finally, a vaporwave thread.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vaperwave. linux is the operating system of vapers.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

I know it's not the same but I have nostalgia for things from before I was born, probably because they were "around" when I was growing up. I wasn't harshly exposed to 1985 in 1985 as much as I was exposed to 70s stuff my parents had and their music etc.
your parents didn't have the combination of self-indulgence and entertainment industry clout to saturate media with the idea that the '70s were the Coolest Decade Ever twenty years after the fact and convince 13-year-olds everywhere that they had been robbed of something meaningful by growing up with pokemon instead of pet rocks so they would later try to fill that perceived void by desperately pretending that they were around for it all the first time and making lovely carpenters-core or whatever the equivalent would be in this tortured parallel scenario i've walled myself into

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

your parents didn't have the combination of self-indulgence and entertainment industry clout to saturate media with the idea that the '70s were the Coolest Decade Ever twenty years after the fact and convince 13-year-olds everywhere that they had been robbed of something meaningful by growing up with pokemon instead of pet rocks so they would later try to fill that perceived void by desperately pretending that they were around for it all the first time and making lovely carpenters-core or whatever the equivalent would be in this tortured parallel scenario i've walled myself into

dude is that what happened to you

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sham bam bamina! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AA8DjQzcw

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
if you have a better explanation for why vaporwave exists i'm all ears

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was made by people my age who grew up with that aesthetic around them, rather than younger people trying to fake it.

And then after a while vapourwave becomes the reference itself not the 80s poo poo it stole from

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

I thought it was made by people my age who grew up with that aesthetic around them, rather than younger people trying to fake it.
nah it's all college kids

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sham bam bamina! posted:

nah it's all college kids

got a wikipedia source for that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

And then after a while vapourwave becomes the reference itself not the 80s poo poo it stole from

the internet means that "time" and "space" are less of a barrier to these things, there is more choice in the cultural artefacts you consume. but in any case it's internet joke music. that's it. many trends and scenes began in irony, that's fine. "no wave" was ironic. the amount of words people have wrote in think pieces are the domain of idiot academics. it's not worth thinking too much about.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCG5x0-WqM

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
vaporwave is not internet joke music :confused: you're thinking of the dozens of parodies and clones of MacIntosh Plus - Floral Shoppe

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I like vaporwave and I listen to it on the reg and I don't understand neither the serious analysis nor the meme tards in yt comments

it's haunting dream-like funk music, I don't see what's so complicated about it. yeah funk remixes are kinda a low bar but there are artists who can make it work

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Sham bam bamina! posted:

idk man, i think it's parents who had kids young and just wish they were still kids instead, so parents project things of their childhood onto their kids, who then grow up wishing they lived their parent's lives. turns out any decade looks cool and not as boring as this current one if you compress it all to a couple memories, movies, and songs

i've heard people reminisce about the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. middleschoolers are currently reminiscing about the 00s, perhaps some of this is them trying to fit in with an older age group strawman. im sure in a few years middleschoolers will be reminiscing about the 10s

a lot of bad poo poo gets forgotten and thrown away over the years so all that remains of that era reflects better than the reality

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I guess I don't understand all this anxiety on the "why" of a niche genre. a pretty easy listening genre too, it's not like we're talking harsh noise wall

I mean did anyone ever ask why devo made muzak covers of their own songs, because the reason is pretty obvious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Triglav posted:

idk man, i think it's parents who had kids young and just wish they were still kids instead, so parents project things of their childhood onto their kids, who then grow up wishing they lived their parent's lives. turns out any decade looks cool and not as boring as this current one if you compress it all to a couple memories, movies, and songs

i've heard people reminisce about the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. middleschoolers are currently reminiscing about the 00s, perhaps some of this is them trying to fit in with an older age group strawman. im sure in a few years middleschoolers will be reminiscing about the 10s

a lot of bad poo poo gets forgotten and thrown away over the years so all that remains of that era reflects better than the reality

the late 60s were objectively the best becaus of LSD

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I'm gonna slow LP down by five bpm, package it as a single sound cloud file and release it as "Capitalist Robot Future Mall" on my label Crumpled Sales Receipts it will be $$$$$$

or

"I Cry Every Night Because I'm Not James Ferraro" written in kanji

hackbunny posted:

vaporwave is not internet joke music :confused: you're thinking of the dozens of parodies and clones of MacIntosh Plus - Floral Shoppe

lol yes it is. the origin, which was being stupidly discussed above, was a joke. it can also be more than a joke - things move past origin, origin isn't even terribly important.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

echinopsis posted:

the late 60s were objectively the best becaus of LSD

lsd was everywhere in the 90s

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Triglav posted:

lsd was everywhere in the 90s

yea but it wasnt creating a culture

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i'm watching about 8 minutes of a 25 minute video about vaporwave and yeah this is one of those pretentious irony ouroboroses where no one remembers what the joke is anymore

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

hackbunny posted:

I like vaporwave and I listen to it on the reg and I don't understand neither the serious analysis nor the meme tards in yt comments

it's haunting dream-like funk music, I don't see what's so complicated about it. yeah funk remixes are kinda a low bar but there are artists who can make it work

same i dont care if its a joke or whatever i just find it interesting and dont take it beyond that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I remember the 80s. no one tell the millennial babies that corporate culture, Japan, Wall Street suits, cocaine, yuppies, and the lifestyle of the rich and famous were the things they celebrated during the 80s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but the 80s were objectively good because Linux didn't exist

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think sham just needs a little hall and oates to remind them to get in touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQ64TGU2Qo

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPfjGZXf3PY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sS49ruKq2Y

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

I remember the 80s. no one tell the millennial babies that corporate culture, Japan, Wall Street suits, cocaine, yuppies, and the lifestyle of the rich and famous were the things they celebrated during the 80s

your insecurities are showing.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

op is a dumb idiot

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
vaporwave is real bad

it's literally elevator music