Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's October and Halloween is almost here! So what better time to explore anime's supernatural, sometimes scary side? For the next month and a half I've got several series to share, across a good portion of the horror spectrum. There's Mononoke, a highly-stylized presentation of traditional Japanese ghost stories; Yamishibai, a legitimately scary series of shorts that blend Japanese horror and urban legends; Shin Sekai Yori, a post-apocalyptic thriller with direction and sound design that create an oppressive, tense atmosphere; and Pupipo, a heartwarming story about a girl and her ghost protector. Then to finish things off, I've chosen a couple one-off OVAs and shorts.

The Schedule

The simul will start on Monday, October 26th. The first series we'll be watching, Mononoke, originated as part of a 2006 anthology called Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, so you'll want to get a hold of Ayakashi episodes 9-11 in addition to the Mononoke series. Start times and the episodes we're watching will have their own post, to follow.

How/Where to Watch

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales: Licensed at one point, the DVDs are long out of print, so download eps 9-11 here.

Mononoke: Licensed, with a fairly cheap DVD release on Amazon and streaming via Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Viewster.

Yamishibai: Both seasons are streaming on Crunchyroll.

Shin Sekai Yori: Licensed by Sentai with DVD and BD releases on Amazon and streaming via Crunchyroll and Hulu.

Pupipo: Unlicensed and not streaming, you can download it here.

Dokuro: Hosted on Youtube.

Wasurenagumo: Unlicensed and not streaming, you can download it here.

Twilight of the Dark Master: Licensed back in 1997, the OVA is available cheaply through Amazon resellers.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fun! Mononoke is great, but I've seen it recently enough that I'll pass on it. Same with From the New World. Yamishibai I'm in for, though, and likely some of the other miscellany as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going the do what I usually do and say I'm going to follow it then probably not get around to it. From the New Word is awesome though and everyone should watch it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Updated the OP with links for the unlicensed/long out-of-print stuff. Also the Mononoke episodes of Ayakashi are 9-11 not 10-12, my bad.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
No Requiem From The Darkness eh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Relin posted:

No Requiem From The Darkness eh

I looked into it, but some of the stylistic experimentation they used came off looking very cheap, in addition to having some weak episodes. I've actually got a short list of shows I considered but passed over, for anybody wanting more of a horror/horror-adjacent fix when we're done.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I am a cowardly baby but I will try to follow this as best i can

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of this will be rewatch for me but this is a great list & I'm looking forward to the things I haven't seen before. Mononoke is one of my favorite shows so this is a great excuse to watch it again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Mononoke so much, and I've watched it far too many times. It's such a good ride and there's always some detail that manages to freak me out again. Of course I'm watching it again.

Another cool thing: there's going to be a new manga based on Mononoke coming out next year. There is nothing that indicates that this is a tie in with a new anime series, but I'm going to act like it is because I want to hope.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm siked to rewatch From The New World, and I'll use that as an excuse to watch the other stuff because I don't like horror that much.

I'm sorta glad you aren't putting Shiki in there because I don't think I could ever watch it again despite really liking it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love Mononoke so much, and I've watched it far too many times. It's such a good ride and there's always some detail that manages to freak me out again. Of course I'm watching it again.

Another cool thing: there's going to be a new manga based on Mononoke coming out next year. There is nothing that indicates that this is a tie in with a new anime series, but I'm going to act like it is because I want to hope.

With the upcoming release of that sick Medicine Seller figure...maybe something good will actually happen. Thanks for the heads up on the manga though, hopefully somebody scans it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm suddenly just realizing that i never actually finished From the New World. Thanks for this excuse to finally do that.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Out of all those shows I've only seen From the New World so this will be epic.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Mononoke! Such a good show. I'm not that good with horror in general, but the visuals in that show and the yokai subject matter is very watchable for me.

I remember watching Ayakashi and not liking it as much except for the last couple of episodes. If Pupipo is as heartwarming as it says in the OP, I might check it out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It sucks that nobody picked up Pupipo when it aired. I think maybe 5 people watched it that season because of that.

IMO the rest of Ayakashi isn't worth watching but definitely don't skip the Mononoke episodes. They have a great opening and ending as well.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnVX1INtKU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Interesting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cool, I'll try to watch stuff.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales: Licensed at one point, the DVDs are long out of print.

Actually, just in case anyone is interested in picking this up - for region 4 DVDs, Siren Visual have Ayakashi licensed, and it's still in print, and it's pretty cheap. I don't believe it's available streaming, though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Huh, I remember Shin Sekai Yori being boring enough to not finish, and not really Horror. Guess I can try finishing it off to see if my perception changes. I do remember some very nuanced and fantastic audio work though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Van Dine posted:

Actually, just in case anyone is interested in picking this up - for region 4 DVDs, Siren Visual have Ayakashi licensed, and it's still in print, and it's pretty cheap. I don't believe it's available streaming, though.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Dunno if Siren did an all in one release or story-separated volumes like Geneon. If it's the latter, the final three episodes (Bakeneko arc) are definitely worth owning. Don't remember the other arcs much.

AnacondaHL posted:

Huh, I remember Shin Sekai Yori being boring enough to not finish, and not really Horror. Guess I can try finishing it off to see if my perception changes. I do remember some very nuanced and fantastic audio work though.

There are a few moments that stick out to me as obvious horror, though I have no idea where you stopped in the series. Most of the other horror I attribute to it is because of directing and audio that make the show feel uneasy.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 20, 2015

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Huh, I remember Shin Sekai Yori being boring enough to not finish, and not really Horror.

Oh the horror happens. In layer, upon layer, upon layer... I could fanboy plenty on it, but I'll just say that SSY is impressively unnerving and about horrified me into a broken and trembling husk.

Plus I'd nominate it for the most unsettling scream in anime.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnacondaHL posted:

Shin Sekai Yori is good, but it is definitely a show to binge-watch. I feel like I would have liked it a lot less week-to-week.

Can this be a thread for talking about horror anime in general, or should it just be for discussing the simulwatch?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Shin Sekai Yori is good, but it is definitely a show to binge-watch. I feel like I would have liked it a lot less week-to-week.

Can this be a thread for talking about horror anime in general, or should it just be for discussing the simulwatch?

We've got some dead time before things actually start, and i imagine the same will happen as things are wrapping up. i don't really mind if people want to discuss related topics in the meantime.

i'd agree that SSY works better viewed quickly. i didn't get far when watching the show as it aired, but later having the whole thing at my disposal meant i was watching multiple episodes per day, desperate for more after each one ended.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the beginning of ssy is real slow and has an incredibly exposition heavy episode so it can be hard to get through

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The exposition in SSY works because it instills certain expectations while at the same time showing us that not all is as it seems. It's a really good setup for everything that comes after.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Now that it's only a few days until we start, here's a quick intro and schedule for our first show, Mononoke!

Originally part of the 2006 horror anthology series Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Mononoke received a full season of its own in 2007. The series follows a traveling merchant as he encounters evil spirits (the titular Mononoke) and slays them by uncovering the mysteries that brought them into being. The direction and design staff was largely composed of people who would go on to make shows like tsuritama and Gatchaman CROWDS and while that signature aesthetic isn't on display, there are still plenty of visual flourishes that make this series a treat to watch.

Schedule
I will probably be watching the episodes around 8pm CDT, but choose a that time works best for you.

Monday, October 26th - Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales episodes 9-11 (Bakeneko)
Wednesday, October 28th - Mononoke episodes 1-2 (Zashiki-warashi)
Friday, October 30th - Mononoke episodes 3-5 (Umibouzu)
Monday, November 2nd - Mononoke episodes 6-7 (Nopperabou)
Wednesday, November 4th - Mononoke episodes 8-9 (Nue)
Friday, November 6th - Mononoke episodes 10-12 [END] (Bakeneko)

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

When I was first getting into anime, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out Mononoke had nothing to do with Princess Mononoke. I'm excited to finally figure out what it's all about.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This forum is spooked!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Christ!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be watching tonight, sounds like an interesting show.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I've begun watching Ayakashi and just wanna say this OP is really dope.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoops forgot this was tonight! I better get started.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finished up the arc a little while ago. it's my third time watching but a couple things strangely stood out. the Medicine Seller seemed to have a sense of humor i don't remember from the main series, in addition to the little changes in his design. the story also had a lot more emotional impact than i remembered, really brought tears to my eyes. i like how this arc establishes the Medicine Seller's bag of tricks, even though his use of them varies throughout the series. while people may not necessarily watched it first, having that little "in" on something like the Mononoke Scales is cool for when they show up again.

i liked seeing some of the specific shots that would later pop up in the full series too, like repeating motion, hard cuts, and blurred tracking shots through buildings. i think this part of the series exists in a really cool place, where you get to see the initial idea and then how it transitioned to a full series and all the accompanying changes and carryovers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Admoon posted:

I've begun watching Ayakashi and just wanna say this OP is really dope.

yeah! my first time through i actually watched Ayakashi last, and the OP was a big (but good) surprise! the vocal style is really fun, on top of the beat and using traditional japanese instruments.
it's kind of a nice companion to the main series OP, which is also a bit odd being performed on (what i think is) an accordion

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not actually sure how many times I've watched this arc...possibly five or six at this point now? The first time was when I actually watched the whole Samurai Horror Tales and it's kinda weird that an otherwise very mediocre OVA series had something this unique and interesting as its last segment. In addition to getting to see where things got started, since some of the characters from this arc get called back in Mononoke you miss out on some context if you haven't watched this part first.

It's a shame that it didn't just get bundled in with the show and I regret not grabbing a copy on dvd when it was easier to find.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to hug my cats now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

It's a shame that it didn't just get bundled in with the show and I regret not grabbing a copy on dvd when it was easier to find.

It did get bundled with the main series...on the Japan-only bluray release. :negative:
I went ahead and grabbed that version for this arc, kinda curious to compare the bluray to CR's version and my DVD of the main series though, it doesn't seem like the sort of show where there's much more visual quality to be squeezed out.

and yeah, Kayo shows up in the main series (i don't think anybody else does) and directly calls back to this arc, though i dunno how much that impacts the story she's a part of. i mean somehow i managed to deal with that having never seen Ayakashi on my first go-through. i have a vague memory of Kwaidan (second Ayakashi segment) being at least okay, with zero memories of the first one, which is probably telling. they're definitely both more restrained in style, going for straight ghost story adaptations.

• Locked thread