Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I just want to add that if you can swing it, a second drive for Windows makes everything less complicated.

I picked up a bargain basement SSD for Windows years ago and it's made messing with my OSX install significantly less lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Djarum posted:

Well they have positioned the iMacs are the prosumer/enthusiast desktop market. The trashcans are the professional option. I do find it a little strange that they haven't brought a more traditional desktop machine out. I think they are giving the Hackintosh market to that realm though. Theoretically if you are needing more hardware for whatever task you are throwing at it you have also spent money on the software which is where Apple is looking to make money now.

Honestly most companies using macs in a professional capacity don't really give a poo poo. They bought decked out cheese graters before and now they buy decked out trash cans or big ol iMacs. I don't think upgradability ever factors into the equation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm asking this in here because I think it might be the best place to do so given the amount of collective OSX hacking experience. I have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro with a failing nVidia discrete graphics. Apple refuses to repair it so that's off the table.

I'd like to disable the nvidia GPU permanently but I can't find a reliable way to do it. gfxCardStatus let's me force Intel but that doesn't seem to always be reliable. Certain apps call for OpenGL and OSX still happily obliges, causing panics. Removing the nVidia kexts seems to result in software rendering no matter which GPU is being used.

Given my experience with hackintoshing I feel like there has to be some easy fix for this. Hell if it was a hack I'd just use nv_disable=1 and call it done. Anyone have any ideas?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Can I get your Skype? I may be able to help.

EDIT: nv_disable=1 is a normal boot arg. In terminal, type 'nvram -p'. You should see any set boot args somewhere in the output. Something along the lines of 'sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1'. should work.

I don't have Skype at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll have time to do a live chat.

nv_disable is an Apple supported NVRAM arg? I thought that was Clover specific. This Macbook Pro is bone stock. It would just what I need if it worked.

I don't have any current boot-args set, I tried "agc=3" and a few others I dug up on the internet but nothing definitively disables that drat nVidia GPU. Removing the nVidia kexts just results in software accelerated video instead of using the Intel GPU like I'd have expected it to.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

It's an arg that should work on a real mac, not a hackintosh one. Try setting -v, see if it boots verbose.

I just tried nv_disable and it certainly does work to disable the nvidia card, but leaves me without any acceleration (No QI/CI) at all. OSX seems to think I'm connected to a projector and gfxCardStatus can't force Integrated Intel graphics because it thinks an external display is connected. It's certainly progress but it's left the system in a really odd state.

The more research I do on this and the more I'm becoming convinced that Apple's implementation of graphics switching on the 2010 Macbook depends the nVidia GPU to function. Somehow the Intel GPU isn't treated as a separate GPU and more as a slave to the discrete card. Disabling nVidia seems to blow away any switching capabilities as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This is such a helpful post, thank you so much! Pricing those out it looks like I'd probably wind up spending an extra $100 or so on the OC-capable chip and mobo versus the standard versions, which is actually sorta tempting even though I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

It's worth it. Achieving a moderate overclock is stupid easy these days. I popped a $20 cooler on my sandy bridge i5 and got an easy 1ghz overclock with no noticeable difference in stability or temps.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I switched to iMac 13,2 a while back, I think because my CPU wasn't doing speedstep properly, and it's been just fine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I ordered this guy:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272033537565

I'm not expecting much but it's (unless its a fake) using the Broadcom unit out of a 2015 Macbook Pro which supports Bluetooth 4.1 and AC wifi. Price is right and I'll report back here if it actually works.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

8ender posted:

I ordered this guy:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272033537565

I'm not expecting much but it's (unless its a fake) using the Broadcom unit out of a 2015 Macbook Pro which supports Bluetooth 4.1 and AC wifi. Price is right and I'll report back here if it actually works.

I'm happy to report that this card was a near total success. Genuine Apple Broadcom hardware, Bluetooth 4.1, Hand off and Continuity working great. Also 900mbit+ AC wifi speeds.

One issue I haven't figured out yet is that when my hackintosh wakes from sleep the card seems to get in a bad state. It'll connect to the access point but pings go wild and any sustained transfer like loading a website causes it to drop out. I've disabled sleep for now and that solves the problem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

8ender posted:

I'm happy to report that this card was a near total success. Genuine Apple Broadcom hardware, Bluetooth 4.1, Hand off and Continuity working great. Also 900mbit+ AC wifi speeds.

One issue I haven't figured out yet is that when my hackintosh wakes from sleep the card seems to get in a bad state. It'll connect to the access point but pings go wild and any sustained transfer like loading a website causes it to drop out. I've disabled sleep for now and that solves the problem.

Another update on this: turning off Wake on Wireless fixes this issue. I actually wouldn't mind having wake on wireless working so I may keep sleuthing around for a solution.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I hit the jackpot and the ID clover configurator generated for me passes muster at Apple so now I jealously guard it and transfer it when I upgrade my hackintosh.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I had something like that but it turned out I put my laptop back together wrong and a mouse button was stuck down.

Same but a Bluetooth mouse in my backpack with the button wedged down.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Waiting on nvidia to support Pascal in its latest web drivers. It's possible that won't happen though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Agree with the above. I think the era of fantastic nVidia support for hackintoshes might be coming to a close. nVidia doesn't have much of an incentive to keep the drivers up to date unless theres an in pipeline Mac using one of their cards we don't know about. The older Mac Pro's are aging into obsolescence and since then it's been mostly AMD.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ouhei posted:

Well that didn't work, couldn't repair it with the Linux drive.

I nuked the HDD this morning, got Sierra back up and running in about 15mins. I'm going to wait to install Windows again until I buy a second HDD to put it on. I should have done that to begin with but I'll take this as a chance to fix any of the little stuff I half assed the first time around.

I had a similar situation years ago and decided to get a second drive for windows and never looked back. It's saved my rear end a few times now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Second hand 980s and 980Tis seem to be selling for reasonably prices on the PC forums that I see.

10x0s still don't work well under Sierra do they?

They're being listed for shockingly high amounts on Kijij here in Canada. I feel bad for the posters because obviously these folks feel like $400 is more than reasonable for their $800+ GPU bought less than a year ago, but that's in the price and performance range of a brand new GTX 1060.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I just gave up and bought a cheap b-stock EVGA 980ti when they were clearing them out. The 980ti is still a beast and it delays me having to abandon my hackintosh longer.

I totally understand nVidia not supporting Pascal yet. My hope is that they're keeping the Mac driver warm hoping for a contract for an upcoming product.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Are Geforce 670s and 680s still supported OOTB on Sierra? They are going for peanuts second hand and are still quite good cards.

My 670 worked marvellously on Sierra. I've since sold it and got a 980ti but as of 10.12.1 everything was gravy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mac Pascal drivers coming later this month. Hackintosh community just collectively orgasmed
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/04/06/titan-xp/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

gently caress me. I gave up and bought a used 980ti last week because I gave up on Pascal drivers. :what:

I bought a 980ti a while back because I was worried about drivers but not all is lost. Mine was able to overclock to an ungodly 1520mhz and now performs within spitting distance of a 1080.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

oohhboy posted:

I didn't know you could do that. Care to give a quick rundown as the information out there is somewhat conflicting and if it involves flashing the card, I am not keen on that.

Unfortunately it involves flashing the card. That said if you're okay with overclocking in Windows but stock speeds in OSX there's plenty of good overclocking utilities out there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

track day bro! posted:

How hard would it be to setup a Hackintosh on my current pc? It's an X99 system with a 5820k and a gtx 1070, do pascal cards work reliably yet? It looks like audio would be supported on my board, I'd just need to get the correct broadcom wireless card instead of the Intel one I currently have.

Pascal works and is very reliable with the nvidia drivers

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Don't ever AMD a Hackintosh.

TonyMac likely delete/bans that as it is likely super fringe and unhelpful. AMD has compatibility always relied on kernel hacks which always throw you into the mercy of whoever wrote it and every single update means you likely won't boot. Then the hacks would have introduced all sorts of hidden bugs you won't otherwise get.

I used to run an AMD hackintosh on an nForce4 motherboard as my main OS. It was a total shitshow but it forced me to learn all about UNIX and OSX.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

High Sierra upgrade was remarkably easy for myself as well. Updated Clover, updated a few other kexts I use, run install, lots of reboots, done. I still have this Prebooter entry in my Clover menu though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LoSesMC posted:

Would it be possible to transplant a Hackintosh install? I broke the screen on my poor ProBook 6560b, but am upgrading to a nice EliteBook 840 G2 soon. Ideally, I'd like to just pull the SSD over from the old laptop, boot into safe mode and replace kexts/DSDTs/other files that go in the Clover/EFI partition, but I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

You might not be able to get into safe mode but this is where having your kexts being injected by Clover really shines. If you can mount the EFI partition on really any computer then you can go to work adding and removing what you need to boot.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

PSA: Don't do what I did, which was upgrade to High Sierra, then wonder why a USB3 drive wouldn't mount on my system, then assume the USB3 drive was defective, then start a refund with Amazon, then discover that the RehabMan kext patch you had defined in your Clover configuration was for Sierra and was different for High Sierra.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If you can setup something like a Freenas server then a hackintosh will happily back up to it

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm not 100% sure but if you're running a Hackintosh then you should really consider dual booting Windows. My Windows partition is called Games because that's all it's for.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sent from my iPad posted:

The issue may be Nvidia's latest drivers, which have introduced persistent stuttering/lag. Try this.

Apparently nvidia fixed this issue with the latest driver version. I was using the latest nvidiafixup kext to solve the issue before but the latest drivers seem to fix it as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Can't speak to the guide but your specs will run OSX wonderfully

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Did you get converted to APFS? Only trading one nightmare for another IMHO.

Did I miss something? APFS has been rock solid on my hackintosh since it was introduced

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Apple did make a brief push on external GPUs though even if the showcase was AMD's gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Surely his Win10 is already going to be installed with an EFI bootloader.

Clover chains fine into Windows for me.

Windows can be weird about this. I had a Windows 10 install that I had to ditch and specifically re-install with EFI because it had done the non-EFI install. I still have no idea why. It was done on a fully compatible EFI motherboard.