Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is it worth trying to Hackintosh a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield? Can it even be done? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

eightysixed posted:

Is it worth trying to Hackintosh a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield? Can it even be done? :shobon:

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm running Mavericks on that mobo and it was one of the easier Hacks that I've done. I started with a 920 and then later changed to a six-core 3.16 Westmere Xeon on the same mobo and OSX deals with it fine.

I wasn't able to get Maverick's but I was able to use a friends Mac to get the El Capitan installer, and from everything I've read, if one works, the other will too. Is that correct?

edit: Blatantly curious, how much RAM were you running when you still had the 920? (and Video Card, if you were even using one). Thanks :cheers:
edit2: oh, from the looks of the OP, it looks like the i7's iGPU is a no go.. :(

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 5, 2016

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Also, I was able sit at my friends Mac over the weekend, and grab El Capitan. I'm going to go ahead and move forward with this, but is Apple going to come after me? What's the legality of all of this anyway? :ohdear:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm running Mavericks on that mobo and it was one of the easier Hacks that I've done. I started with a 920

I'm clearly doing something wrong and it has to be a BIOS related issue, because trying to boot to Clover via USB just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." - I can boot/install Linux/Windows/Whatever fine, it's obviously just something I'm doing wrong with GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard. Of course, there's no UEFI, so I can't do the fancy stuff as documented in the OP. Any ideas? I'm also going to PM you because I'm desperate :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I've checked Google, and tried all the stuff that is related over at tonymacx86, but I can't get anywhere. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

On a real "Shut Down" everything appears to shut down, the monitor goes to sleep,nothing is responsive, yet the CPU & GPU fans stay on, and the case lights too. What am I missing here?

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
i7 920
ATI Radeon 5800 Series
El Capitan

Any help would be awesome :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I have the strangest problem, that I just can't figure out. Hopefully one of you guys can give me some advice, or at least a few things to try or ideas. I've got a full Hackinstosh working with everything - Bluetooth, Audio, USB, iMessage, the works all on a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield. But here's the strangest problem, and I can recreate it ad nauseous

Once booted, I can Shut Down successfully, whether I shut down immediately or let it sit for hours, and then Shut Down. However, if I open any application when I click shutdown, it acts like its shut down - everything turns off, monitor goes into "sleep mode" or whatever (orange light versus blue), but all the fans and lights continue to run.

Again, I can shut down fine if no applications are opened. If an application is opened, no matter which one, the computer appears to be turned off, yet the fans and lights remain on. Even if I close out of everything, I get the same results. How is this possible? :psyduck: Any thoughts/ideas/fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

oohhboy posted:

This sort of sounds sort of related to the shut down problem when you install OSX. When you try to restart or shutdown from it the installer can't send the command to the hardware because it doesn't know the instructions due to a couple factors like the installer not getting the full set of tweaks and features for the MB.

Are you opening applications after you have given the shutdown command or are applications that are still open when the shutdown is given? You have stated both and I am trying to figure out which one you are doing.

Ack, sorry - It's hard to explain because it's so very weird :( Let me lay it out the best I can.
  • Scenario 1: If you boot up the computer, and then immediately shut it down, everything will turn off properly.
  • Scenario 2: If you boot up the computer and mess with the mouse so the screen saver doesn't turn on, no matter how long - 15 minutes, 30 minutes, three hours, just so the screen saver doesn't turn on, and shut down, everything will turn off properly.
  • Scenario 3: If you boot up the computer, let it sit long enough for the screensaver to come on, then kick off the screen saver WITHOUT OPENING ANYTHING, the computer will not shut completely down. Everything will go black, the monitor knows it's not getting any signal, therefore going to an orange light, versus the blue, but the fans and lights inside the case remain on.
  • Scenario 4: If you boot up the computer, open something - anything (be it Safari, Mail, Notes, literally anything), and try to shut down with said applications open everything will go black, the monitor knows it's not getting any signal, therefore going to an orange light, versus the blue, but the fans and lights inside the case remain on.
  • Scenario 5: If you boot the computer, open something, do your work, and make sure all apps are closed and then try to shut down after force closing everything, it still acts the same - everything will go black, the monitor knows it's not getting any signal, therefore going to an orange light, versus the blue, but the fans and lights inside the case remain on.

This blows my mind :saddowns: What am I missing here..? This is a 1st Gen i7 - the Bloomfield 920, again, if thats anything to consider. Help :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

oohhboy posted:

Can you -v and take note of the readouts as it shuts down. Just having an App opened and one straight power up and shut down. It might offer some clues.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what you're talking about :saddowns: I was thinking you meant 'sudo shutdown -vh now' from Terminal, but -v is not a valid flag.

oohhboy posted:

Check for FakeSMC. What OSX are you running? Are you using Clover? What method did you use to install? Had a look through the OP? Fresh install?
1.) FakeSMC is there.
2.) El Capitan
3.) Yes.
4.) Multibeast, because this Mobo doesn't support UEFI.
5.) Yes, line by line.
6.) Yeahp.

oohhboy posted:

That MB is sort of getting on the edge of supportability, so you might just have to live with it as is if you are running El Capitan.
There was a guy in this thread that said my motherboard/CPU combo was the easiest hack he's ever done, but then again he was running Mavericks. Although, I thought the case was that anything that can run Mavericks can run El Capitan.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

oohhboy posted:

Err ops I guess. I should have been a little more specific about -v. -v is Verbose mode. You enter -v in the boot aurgs at the clover boot screen under options. If have done it right you will have screens and screens of text. When you shutdown have a camera ready to take a photo of the screen. You will need two, one normal shutdown, one abnormal shutdown.
Gotcha, will do!

oohhboy posted:

Legacy mode I assume.
Yeahp!

oohhboy posted:

Can you link me to the dude's walkthrough. Everybody says their hack is the easiest they have ever done.
It wasn't a walkthrough, it was from this post - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747066&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post453857713

oohhboy posted:

Also what is your GFX?
Right now its an ATI Radeon 5770 series. Although I also have a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD) 2 GB GDDR5 card I might try to see if that yields any results.

In any event, I found this on tonymacx86 - http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/06/dsdt-database-update-gigabyte-x58.html
I just grabbed that top one, which says Rev. 1.6/1.7 for my motherboard, running BIOS FK, which is literally exactly mine. I'll do some testing, and see if the problems alleviate. But let me know if you have any other ideas regarding your earlier questions. Thanks for the help on this one! :)

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 2, 2016

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Okay, the new DSDT file didn't work. But I did notice that the OP says to select Mac Pro(3,1) LGA 775, whereas my motherboard is a LGA 1366. Would I be better off checking Mac Pro (4,1) LGA 1366? Logic says yes. What about the 'Fix Shutdown' option?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Actually, I didn't try the "Fix Shutdown" option, I went directly to the 4,1 option. Still didn't work. Swapped out the ATI for the Gigabyte NVIDIA card, and BAM. IT WORKS! All this, and it was the video card all along.

One last thing and then I'll stay out of this thread (I hope). Back before I got hung up trying to figure out the Shutdown problem, I had iMessage working flawlessly. Somewhere along the line it broke. This is how I had originally got it working after I could sign in finest all messages gave the infamous "Not a valid number" or whatever thing. That guide fixed it.

Now I've finally fixed the Shutdown thing, but can't get iMessage to work. It doesn't let me login. It doesn't say anything about Invalid Authentication or anything - I can't even get to the actual screen where it used to say (before I fixed it) "Invalid Number." What happens now after opening up iMessage, entering in my credentials, it looks like its logging in for about 5 seconds and then just goes back to as if nothing happened. The weird thing is I can sign into iCloud just fine. I followed that guide at least 5 times in the past 30 minutes, but same result. Why was it working before, but not now? :( Last hope for a perfect hack here! One piece of weirdness as well - If I enter the wrong password, it will tell me I entered the wrong Login Credentials, but if I enter the right one, literally nothing happens. How is this possible? :psyduck:

All in all, I still can't believe it was the video card, and now it's fix one thing and break another... If I can get this last piece of the puzzle, Im dd-ing this entire drive to a fresh drive just in case anything ever decides to go sideways :v:

edit: Actually, it might be because I upgraded to 10.11.5. I actually dd'd before, and it may have been before the upgrade. Definitely going to test that tomorrow, that way I can roll back to a working iMessage and go hog wild. Pipe dream, I'm sure - but it's worth a shot. Unless you have any other ideas. The weird thing is it recognizes a wrong username/pass combo, but when I enter the correct credentials it does nothing...

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 2, 2016

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Any idea if a GTX 1080 will work in a Hackintosh?

Read through this thread, and take it with a grain of salt either way.

quote:

OS X support might arrive somewhere between "next WebDriver update" and "never".

If history repeats, OS X support (through WebDrivers) will arrive with the next major OS X update (10.12).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

What's the best way to move a Clover install to a new drive? Can I just clone my entire drive somehow?

I one tried to DD my entire drive, and it seemed to work, but on boot, it definitely didn't :saddowns: YMMV.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ouhei posted:

The current state of hackintosh is pretty drat great.

Yea, but for some reason I COULD NOT get iMessage to work. I had it working, upgraded to El Capitan, and that was the end of it :saddowns: Flat out couldn't recover.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

JayKay posted:

Debian/Ubutntu doesnt have iMessage

Wait, iMessage works now? I could never get it to work, which is actually why I ended up scrubbing the hackintosh :saddowns:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

if you're looking for a mac-esque experience go for air cooling
Ironically, the first major foray into the field of liquid-cooled personal computers for general use were the high-end versions of Apple's Power Mac G5. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

it also leaked to gently caress iirc. rip that gloriously over-engineered chassis tho

It did. But I couldn't not say it with the whole "if you want a real Mac experience comment" :shobon: