Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The laserdisc copies are the proper theatrical versions in HD, what do these have that improves on that?

425 lines of resolution and a composite video signal has never been HD, unless you're comparing it to VHS. DVDs aren't HD either, and even they're superior to Laserdisc. The BluRay releases of Star Wars were HD, but they come with all the extra poo poo Lucas added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Eponine posted:

Oscar Isaac kind of hinted in some interviews that his future love interest is apparent in TFA. He really only talks to BB8 and Finn, so I'm personally hoping for it to be BB8.

Worst ben-wah balls ever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BovineFury posted:

How to free a rat stuck in a sticky trap.
With obvious result.

Perfect illustration of why you *don't* free vermin caught in sticky traps.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, what's the advantage of glue traps?

You don't come downstairs in the morning to find copious amounts of rodent blood all over your kitchen counter because the snap trap cut off a limb instead of cleanly killing the animal, which will now probably die in your walls.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd get more Schadenfreude out of this if it wasn't almost a certainty that a bunch of old people broke bones rather than a bunch of kids bounced right back up again.

I'm getting more schadenfreude out of this because with kids are allowed to be naive enough to not be able to predict the consequences of their actions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2l6nk7pMQ0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Props to him at least, he willingly turned himself in.

The rest of the militia are trying to claim that the people involved in the shootout were unarmed, and that the tarp guy had his hands up and was trying to surrender when he was shot dead by the FBI. It's pathetic that they think anybody would believe that.

How is it unbelievable that the FBI would kill a defenseless surrendering person? The Bundys are assholes and "Wait until they leave and arrest them" is clearly the good call, but it's not like the FBI doesn't have a history of gunning people down regardless of whether or not they're holding a gun.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Maleh-Vor posted:

Yeah in Mexico our 100k+ dead in the drug war shouldn't really count since most of it was the cartels killing each other and they're just criminals anyway.

There's a good point buried under all that snark.

Look, even the editor of Mother Jones explains that they have good reasons for not counting everything that shootingtracker.com counts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/opinion/how-many-mass-shootings-are-there-really.html

quote:

While all the victims are important, conflating those many other crimes with indiscriminate slaughter in public venues obscures our understanding of this complicated and growing problem. Everyone is desperate to know why these attacks happen and how we might stop them — and we can’t know, unless we collect and focus on useful data that filter out the noise.

Violence from two gangs beefing over corners is not the same thing as a random loner deliberately setting out to shoot up a movie theater, and that's not the same thing as a radical Muslim deliberately setting out to shoot bunch of soldiers at a military base. Yeah, organized and rampant drug crime in Mexico has led to a staggering death count; do you think that problem can be addressed in the same way as the San Bernadino shooting? Different problems are going to have different solutions, and lots of violence isn't evenly or randomly distributed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Preparations for the Brazil Olympics this summer are coming along nicely, I see.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Gonna be a loooong winter:

http://mobile.philly.com/news/new_jersey/?wss=%2Fphilly%2Fnews%2Fnew_jersey&id=367400831&betaPreview=redesign

quote:

A New Jersey zoo's Groundhog Day had a pall cast over it after its groundhog died.

Parker Space told the New Jersey Herald that he discovered Stonewall IV had died when he went to clean him Monday ahead of Tuesday's planned annual photo op.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

vxsarin posted:

You seem really angry about something you don't like or want. There is a lot of regulation involved around payment information.

There's also a lot of regulation against requiring your products to be serviced by your company. Why does Apple get to use one set of regulations to justify not complying with another set?

Jesus. It's possible that car saved that first guy's life, because there's no way he was going to make that turn and would have wound bouncing down the hillside.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdGVRywBV0

Not snuff, the guy lived. Unlike that guy on his scooter who did the same thing.

I like the guy in the jacket who could not give a single gently caress.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Oh noooo!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

According to his Twitter, Kanye West is $53 million dollars in debt.

Maybe he could make an album for Shkreli.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

To think, the best part of that morning for him actually turned out to be his bacon stuffed biscuits.

If a bacon-stuffed biscuit wouldn't be the best part of your morning, you're a rare and blessed individual.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh poo poo epic burn picture caption.

Yeah, Brits are top-notch on geography.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/happy-thanksgiving-we-are-very-sorry#.vdZP6wLwRx

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

This is what it looks like when you try to do a live news report from an active gun range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF98CwXp8QE

Good idea, guys.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

wayfinder posted:

The version of reality they're trying to hold on to, it's adorable

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

sudonim posted:

I'm a left-leaning liberal in godless gay-marrying Massachusetts and I can't help but laugh at this drama queen.

I really do wonder what the lead up is to people getting so deeply into debt. Is a combo of out-of-touch parents ("You'll get a job in pay it off in no time!") and predatory schools/lending programs? I consider myself lucky that I have financially savvy parents and got a fair amount of financial aid to boot but if backstories like this guy's are common then I'm even luckier than I thought.

1. High-school diplomas used to mean you were functionally literate, able to do basic math, and could play well enough with others to make it ti 18 without dropping out or winding up in prison, and were therefore basically a prerequisite for basic employment.
2. High-school diplomas are now frequently worthless and are no guarantee of any of that.
3. College diplomas are now the "you meet the basic requirements for employability" certification.
4. Loans for college are readily available, underwritten by the Federal government, and cannot be discharged by bankruptcy (the only other form of debt like that is debt incurred as part of a criminal enterprise).

So you have everybody telling kids "If you want a good job you need to go to college," a big portion of everyone saying "If you go to college you'll get a good job," the pool of money chasing college educations is effectively limitless, and there are no factors encouraging universities to control tuition costs. It's actually pretty much the opposite; since student loans expose the lender to no risk, there's every incentive to increase those costs.

So tuition soars at multiple times the rate of inflation, people take on more and more debt just to graduate with a B.A. in some generic liberal art, and then find that oh, poo poo, there's no job they can get that will let them pay off that debt in a reasonable period of time. It'd be schadenfreude if it weren't such a racket aimed at extracting what little wealth the middle class still has.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scarf posted:

I have a bachelor's in Political Science and a master's in Public Admin both from a top 20 university, fully funded by student loans and I got out at only $48k in debt. That guy is full of poo poo. :colbert:

I have friends who got out of med school with less loan debt.

He didn't say he'd just gotten out of school. If you graduate and don't make any payments...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Anonymous declared war on Donald Trump, hacked his voicemail, released a bunch of his saved messages...and the most damning thing in there is MSNBC hosts kissing his rear end:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trumps-voicemails-hacked-by-anonymous-a6913861.html

quote:

As figureheads of America's top left-leaning television network, MSNBC news anchors Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski and Tamron Hall have been tasked with cross-examining Mr Trump on several occasions during the Republican primary campaign.

But on the Anonymous recordings then Mr Scarborough and Ms Brzezinski, the co-hosts of a morning show on MSNBC, can be heard thanking Trump profusely for his donation to a charity event.

"You must be, like, on your jet or something," says Ms Brzezinski once the call goes to answerphone. "We'd love to talk to you."

Mr Scarborough says: "We are so, so grateful for everything, Donald, and we just want to call you and tell you how much it means to us," before Ms Brzezinski continues to thank the billionaire tycoon for his donation.

In behind-the-scenes audio leaked from an MSNBC interview in February, Mr Trump instructs Mr Scarborough and Ms Brezinski to "make us all look good", and asks for "nothing too hard" when Ms Brezinski asks if she should question him about his immigration policies.

Tweets posted by Mr Scarborough appear to confirm the authenticity of the messages in which he can be heard speaking.

"Oh my God. I just read the transcripts! Trump must have contributed to a children's charity. Scandalous!!!!" he writes, before continuing: "Should Mika and I now apologise for raising money for children's charities from rich people?"

A woman identifying herself as “T Hall”, believed to be MSNBC's Tamron Hall, can be heard on the recording saying she was going to use Mr Trump's discount in a luxury clothing store.

She says: “I celebrated by going to Gucci, and I’m going to use your discount, because there’s a green dress that’s like $3,000, and I need a discount bigger than... my discount.“

:ughh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does a driver have an obligation to clear off their roof?

In some states, it's the law that you have to, in others it's not. If it is the law, it's generally of the form "We can write you a ticket for $smallnumber if you don't clean it off, and if snow/ice causes damage to another car we can write you a ticket for $biggernumber."

quote:

Like if his dashboard cam got the license plate could the other driver be responsible for damages?

Possibly, a lot of that will be up to the individual insurance adjuster. On one hand, it's debris that flew off the followed car, and he has a responsibility to maintain a safe car; like, if his bumper was held on by string and bailing wire and flew off and was struck by a following car, he'd have liability there, or if he had cargo in the bed of his pickup and didn't have it secured and it flew out and was struck by a following car, same thing. The existence of a state law establishing that you have to clean ice off your car would make it easier to claim negligence on his part. On the other hand, the following car has the responsibility to leave enough space behind a followed vehicle to avoid things like that. But it's complicated. Like, if you're driving past a building and ice slides off the building's roof and falls on your car, you'd need to file a claim against your comprehensive policy, if you just have collision you're SOL. If you're driving past a building and a bunch of ice falls in front of your car and you drive into the pile, that'd be a collision. So in other words I don't know.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The notion that battlefield courage translates to political courage, and by extension that you're not allowed to question the political courage of someone who displayed courage on the battlefield, is wrongheaded. Max Cleland voted for the Iraq war because (in his own admission) he feared not being re-elected, and also voted for the PATRIOT act. Dan Inouye pried a live grenade out of the hand of his own severed arm and killed Japanese with it, and was also a serial sexual harasser in Congress. And we all know what a giant douche John McCain is as a politician.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

hanales posted:

I dunno, it's also free advertising.

Not in this case. That photo is from Astro Coffee, but her social media people tagged the photo as Avalon Bakery.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/283671/hillary-clinton-avalon-bakery-bernie-barista/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Anyone who still doesn't believe we share a common ancestor is literally dumber than a monkey.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phenol can mess up your skin; old timey surgeons from the period where you sterilized with phenol but didn't wear rubber gloves yet would have seriously nasty-looking hands. I'd be terrified of what that poo poo would do to mucous membranes and *your loving eyes*.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

volts5000 posted:

It's a heavily used rail line, so trains would have to be diverted far north while they work on it. Plus, they'd have to raise the track for miles in both directions because trains aren't good with speed bumps. They can't lower the road because it has a main sewer or water line (I forgot which) running underneath. Then, to top it all off, that road is actually a heavily used highway (NC 15/501) connecting two commercial districts.

And in any event, why *should* the public spend a lick of money? It's clearly marked, the only damage is to the big steel beam protecting the bridge and to the occasional truck driven by a dumbass. The nature of that accident means that injuries are very unlikely, and the dumbass that drives into it is the only one out any money (modulo insurance, etc). The marginal cost of first responders having to show up and clean the mess is effectively zero, the only cost to the public is the opportunity cost of those responders being tied up cleaning up a wrecked truck instead of responding to something more serious, which is probably pretty damned small. Plus, the public gets the entertainment value of said dumbasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDaZcTnQZI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

This one from January was pretty good.

I can't be arsed to find it but my favorite was an RV trailed that just drove through at full speed and neatly beheaded the air conditioning unit off the top of it. Driver never noticed and almost certainly didn't find out until he got where he was going, walked into the camper and saw his new sun roof.

Edit: Turns out it was easy to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg-vv2UjYl4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So rurals are buying explosives (why is it even available? Blowing up stumps?) and then using it to blow up their own poo poo for fun?

They're not buying explosives. They're buying two materials which are independently inert but when you combine then form an explosive. Manufacturing your own explosives and using them on your own property is generally legal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Video of the guy blowing his leg off: http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/local/video-man-loses-leg-after-shooting-lawmower-full-of-explosives/100110740

No gore and schadenfreude off the charts after seeing the tacticlolness.

Jesus Christ, when I read "lawnmower" I though a little push mower, not a full-sized riding mower. What an idiot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Atmus posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1200611038

Blowing up a dump truck near a nuclear plant isn't a good idea, either.

People don't understand fragmentation, I guess. A normal 500-lb iron bomb dropped from a plane? More than of that weight is steel bombcase, and that's what kills people. 190 lbs of HE is bad enough, but it pulverizes the case and propels the fragments like flying lawnmower blades up to a kilometer away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What is the charge here? You can get arrested for being a oval office?

"Inciting racial hatred." Free speech isn't really a thing that exists in the UK.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Ben Affleck is asked about all the negative reviews of Batman and gets sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfPJbN6UA0

Fairly decent Failarmy. I was really surprised by the skier who discovered water though. That's gotta gently caress with you.

"Why would you leave the lawnmower right there, Kenneth?"

"Because the lawnmower was in no danger until you decided to cut down a tree without looking where it was going to fall, dumbass."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or the older the band.

My school had an annual concert, and in 2003 they decided to pick...Better Than Ezra, who'd last released an album anyone heard anything off of in 1996. The concert was canceled after not enough tickets sold.

The replacement act was Busta Rhymes, which by any thinking is a much better get.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't there a case where they charged a high school kid with CP for taking a pic of his own junk or something? sexting.

Yep. Multiple cases. You'd think that if you were a juvenile and hence unable to be judged as an adult you'd be considered too young to be held criminally accountable for your actions, but it turns out nope, you can! Because the right way to correct a teenager who makes a dumb teenage mistake is to give them sex offender tags that will follow them around for life.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Still the best mound-charging ever:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

drat, dude became a total trainwreck.

No, that was Ryan Dunn.

SpacePig posted:

I'm never exactly sure with baseball, but is this ball in play because the catcher missed it, or is it considered dead because he swung?

If it's strike three but the catcher drops it, that ball's in play (unless there's a runner on first and less than 2 outs) and the batter should start running.

It's also scored as a strikeout! :science:

Edit: Again, batter only becomes a runner if there's nobody on first and less than 2 outs. If it's a 1-out situation and there's a runner on first, the catcher could intentionally drop a third strike to set up a double play, so in that situation it's disallowed. Same reason the infield fly rule exists, to avoid the incentive to intentionally not make a play.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not.

I think it is funny though.

NHL playoffs will have no Canadian teams this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/no-canadian-teams-nhl-playoffs-1.3513988

It shames the whole of canada anyways.

It's even funnier because in the NHL 16 out of 30 teams make it to the playoffs.