Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nuebot posted:

But on the other hand gently caress squirrels.

If this guy has a birdfeeder I can't blame him one bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LonsomeSon posted:

:psyduck: WHY IN THE gently caress WOULD ANYONE EVER DO THIS

Florida native here. Out of staters are complete loving morons with gators.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Wait what? People just ride around on these at the store? This is not a future I want to be part of.

I work in a library. People ride those things around inside the drat library until we catch them and tell them that's not allowed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the conclusion is that a shittily raised example of a less-aggressive breed will still be a bigger shithead of a dog and more dangerous than a well raised example of a highly aggressive breed.

For my piece, the most aggressive and lovely dogs I've ever encountered have all been chihuahuas and mixes thereof.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KozmoNaut posted:

Fair enough, then :)

Either way, it's utterly reprehensible.

Might also just be elderly. I see that happen all the drat time in Florida (fortunately usually at lower speeds), especially during the winter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Weatherman posted:

birds uber alles

Obese chihuahuas deserve to get beaten up by birds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

You have this metal potato that can murder you dead within 15 feet of it going off, and you have to throw it and hope you don't gently caress up. I've never been in the military but given how I handle situations like that I wouldn't be shocked if i psyched myself out, went full :downs: and ended up being frog tackled into a trench by the instructor.

An uncle of mine has told me before (talking about funny stories from when he was in the military) that's a more common reaction than you might think, thus the safety dugouts you see in all these gifs and the instructors who know exactly what to do when it happens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bonster posted:

My parakeet loved to throw food down to the dog. She would drag pieces of toast and fruit to the edge of the cage, throw them off the top (the food was on the top and she was out), then watch as the dog came and ate it. Then she would do a little bobbing dance an go find another piece of food. She and the dog had a great relationship.

She would do this regardless of whether the other bird was still eating or not. She would be dragging food to the edge and he would be running after, trying to grab bites before it was gone forever.

The bird thread in PI has convinced me that parrots and other pet birds are adorable and that I would never, ever want to own one. The gif of the cockatoo screaming at the barn owl originally came from there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mierenneuker posted:

My impression as an foreigner is that there's a lot of voting against their interests in American politics, mainly on the Republican side.

The GOP has spent several decades making it happen, especially with poor whites. Look up the Southern Strategy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the non-Americans, one of the fundamental problems we have is the hyper-polarized nature of the American two-party system, and the polarization is most visible on the right wing. Trump (and Romney before him) is a product of the GOP primary election, where he did well. There were more reasonable, traditional Republicans in the primary who would likely be doing much better in the general and would probably strike most American liberals as disappointing but understandable if they won - this was Huntsman last election and Kasich this time. But the same things that make them appealing in the general (i.e. not being frothing loonies) are the same things that torpedoed them in the primary.

Romney and Trump both won the primaries essentially by being everyone's second or third choice - not all that many people really wanted them to win, but they were the last men standing. Romney tried to immediately pivot back to the middle to strike a more general classical Republican position and was hated by a non-trivial amount of conservatives for the swing while not really impressing liberals. Being up against Campaign Obama finished him. Trump is taking the opposite tack and going full hog crazy, and it's... not really working for him.

There's three main wings to the GOP, essentially: the FYGM big business plutocrats, the "why can't we turn things back to Leave It To Beaver" social conservatives, and the isolationist racist xenophobes. These divisions have not been getting along well lately despite any one of them being too weak to stand on its own and their internecine violence has been severely weakening the party as a monolithic entity.

US politics are likely heading for a major political realignment in the next decade or two, and it's going to be interesting (and probably a tad horrifying) to see how it shakes out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mcbexx posted:

"Oh man, if I pull this off, I will feast like a king!"

Sadly, it came up in the last thread and was revealed to be fake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's just to scare away the pussies who are too scared to actually go further into the cave where there's a bitchin' nightclub and free gold and whatnot.

This is unironically something that some scientists are seriously considering: for things like nuclear waste disposal sites, how do you design a warning that future generations and civilizations will take seriously and not as a "There has to be really great stuff inside if they wanted us to stay out!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm curious what article this is talking about. Rowling making fun of a right-wing nutcase or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's been a long time since my History of WW1 and WW2 class, but I thought the US was gonna beat the USSR to a Japanese invasion by several months.

Also the small matter that the USSR had almost no navy, sweet gently caress-all for the equipment needed to stage even an unopposed amphibious landing, no experience with amphibious assaults, and no naval logistics to support an amphibious invasion.

If you want a more detailed explanation, head over to A/T for the military history thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can we please keep the Bioware threadshitting contained in the MEA thread over in Games?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slugnoid posted:

congrats America. you're getting a DMZ

Like it's ever going to get finished. We're starting four years of half-baked decisions and projects begun by a man with the attention span of a kitten on catnip and an upper political leadership that resembles medieval Marseilles only with nice suits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpacePig posted:

What? How?

Sinkhole, probably. They can and will appear any drat where they feel like it without warning, and are increasingly common in Florida for one place prone to them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scyantific posted:

Pretty much countered your own argument here. FC 5 being set in what is basically the heart of the modern USA, and is basically going to revolve around killing crazed religious nutjobs who may or may not be an representation of far-right supporters. Ain't gonna be hard for FOX News to spin the poo poo out of it once they get wind of it.

Either way it's going to be a clown fiesta and I'm all in for seeing what sort of poo poo we're gonna see come out of it. I guess you can kinda look at Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for a better comparison of the kinds of reactions stuff like this is going to get. But for the most part, it probably won't generate much "controversy" since it's a cut-and-paste shooter.

Or, as Ubisoft probably sees it, free marketing!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

:happened:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just another troll. Put him on ignore and move on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It does seem a bit questionable/paranoid. The guy in the picture looks much more like a guy thinking "why are you taking my picture" than "oh poo poo she knows I'm a fed".

If you're paranoid, it means you think you matter.

I think it would hurt her more if the government just plain didn't give a poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why would they? She no longer has access to classified material and probably never will in her life.

That's what I'm saying. I think Manning is acting paranoid because she likes the attention of thinking the government considers her worth tailing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rah! posted:

white ISIS hard at work, shooting they are dicks off

:patriot:

Y'all Qaeda proving even less competent than the original.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpacePig posted:

I like that the game's best response to this is to just have the car catch fire, and then almost immediately explode. Like, this would've been good enough just with the car getting stuck in the tree, but the explosion is some interesting decision making.

It's not uncommon in games with vehicles to have the vehicle self-destruct when the game logic detects that the vehicle is stuck with no possibility of getting free.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

Women write the vast majority of fanfiction- smut.

And, speaking as a professional librarian, just plain fiction smut. So much published smut, written by and for middle-aged women. Generally heterosexual or involving two strapping young men.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

syscall girl posted:

the only people who voted for trompe are old, sick, racist and misogynist mid and/or southwesterners and floridians

they're gradually catching on that they're hosed when medicaid/medicare disappear for a trillions on a useless wall and our equally useless military spending projects

but it's too late now

I doubt it. The alt-right isn't going away and is steadily getting older.

The future of the GOP is probably less religious, but they're no less racist, sexist, and FYGM/HENRY.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

El Jebus posted:

Same here in The Coachella Valley. It has been weirdly humid though, in the 30-35% range! Gross!

That's par for the course where I am in Florida. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Definitely clickbait, although teachers can get into stupid trouble on social media. They pretty much have to lock everything down in super private mode.

It's far from unknown for teachers to get fired for posting pictures of them drinking with friends at parties.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaphod42 posted:

What? Bethesda is still poo poo.

Blizzard was great when it was a studio; now its Activision West and its basically got none of the same staff as it used to. They went from 50 devs before WoW to 500 devs after wow's launch. That's too much growth too fast.

What's also sad is another dev I would consider to be an all time great is Square, and the last couple Final Fantasy games have been real disappointments.

But there's plenty of cool devs out there. The big thing is that companies are kinda arbitrary. After working at one place for a few years people burn out and switch to something else, or spawn their own companies. The guys who made Diablo 2 went on to make Torchlight. They're still cool, they just aren't called "Blizzard" anymore.

I'd also mark Bioware as a former great, but they've also fallen on hard times lately, most prominently with Mass Effect Andromeda. They're still almost the only game in town for sprawling Western RPGs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Obsidian (formerly Black Isle/Troika) are still around, still independent and still making great RPGs.

Depending on what you like in an RPG. I much preferred Bioware until around the ME3/Inquisition era.

Western RPGs that aren't Bethesda style seem to be a dying art, unfortunately, which is a shame. They're my favorite genre of game, and my other favorite - 4X games like Civilization - isn't doing well, either.

It's a shame how few big companies are left in general, and how little there is available between them and small indie outfits mainly making retro-style games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Volcott posted:

If you're disappointed/burned out on civ, maybe give grand strategy a whirl. There's a sharper learning curve, but there's more meat on the bone, too.

Grand strategy isn't why I play 4X games. I play 4X games to sit back, relax, research, and build a neat-looking empire. Ideally without needing a spreadsheet like every Anno game not numbered 2205.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/896713553666871296
https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/896730059142254592

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spog posted:

Question from a non-US person:

Can you be fired in the US for being at these events - assume that there is no ambiguity as to why you were there?

No. But you can be fired for not being a good fit, or not being a team player, or not reflecting company values, or any number of other things that a manager might decide after seeing something like this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spog posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

This guy probably does have a decent shot at a wrongful termination suit, in terms of strict law and legality. In practice wrongful termination suits in the US hardly ever go anywhere and it's highly unlikely any lawyer would go to bat for a guy fired from a hot dog stand for marching at a white supremacist rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/897107001913868290