Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I live in the same county as U of M and care not a goddamn bit about Handegg. Every year people lose their goddamn minds over this particular game. Like, people in the same house won't even talk to each other, and like all anyone can say for like a month in advance is "that big U of M/MSU game is coming up!" even when they don't like sports. My dad's one of those die-hard U of M fans and he went to a completely unrelated college. I just don't get the fervor.

And people are laughing about stuff like the single burning couch in Ann Arbor, but you know if the tables were turned and U of M pulled off a clutch last second victory over state that the people up in Lansing would be going positively psychotic in comparison. And all the State fans would treat it with "boys will be boys" kid gloves. Another thing I totally don't get about the sportsball mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

flosofl posted:

Lol. You're just going down the "I'm an elitist nerd, and proud of it" checklist, aren't you? I'll bet you don't even own a TV or subscribe to cable/satellite and make sure everyone knows, too.

Frankly, I'm a big fat nerd who is most of the time either in front of the pc or the tv. I even like a lot of sports like Baseball or Basketball. Just Football I never got the appeal of. It's the most boring sport out there (even friggin Golf is more interesting to watch) and I've not seen a single more inconsequential thing (let alone a game) that made people more unreasonably upset than football does (Reasonable_Football_fan.avi). I suppose the Schadenfreude is on me for getting so fed up with it that I resorted to those stupid overplayed troll-words.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was a blocked field goal and they didn't score on the play, it just ended the game. Glorious either way.

To this day they're the second most popular team in East Lansing. When I was moving into my undergrad in rural Ohio my dad pointed out a guy in an App State hoodie and shouted "That guy's my hero!" This was three years after the game. Dude just had a friend who went there.

In semi-related 'freude, it's hilarious to me just how much hateful bile-churning vitriol State fans have for U of M year round where like it almost seems like they enjoy hating U of M more than loving State. This is funny because besides the days they actually play each other, the average U of M fan's opinion of State is either indifference or "Well at least they're still Michigan" if they're winning. Who U of M hates truly is Ohio State University. Nothing pisses off a State fan more than when you point this out to them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

$120 a month to watch exclusive PewDiePie videos. What ever shall I do.

I hope this makes Youtube realize what a pipe dream his channel has been in their budget. I still don't quite understand how he makes any real money. Yes, he gets monetized profits from his videos' ads paying him. Buuuut, his core audience (like seriously well over 90% of his regular viewers) are in the 6-14 age demographic (fun fact: My 8 year old son who watches crappy scarecam LPs says PDP is too kiddy and annoying for him), also known as "have no money of their own to spend on all the ludicrous car and computer ads on Youtube" ie they're not buying anything advertised, and the ads have to be not at all effective. This is a macrocosm of the whole major LP Youtube Superstar phenomena, where the ones that are super popular (because of their annoying personalities) are mostly visited by kids who don't buy anything advertised, most of which is not kid-aimed products anyways. I halfway hope or expect that youtube relying on these big viewer, low spender channels (that they seem completely myopic about) for their premium content coming up will result in the entire venture being a total embarrassment and failure.

Gropiemon posted:

If your autism won't allow you to drive in the "passing" lane just rename it to "fast" lane.

A couple years ago, I got a ticket for driving in the "passing lane" while there wasn't anyone to pass at the moment. By the time the officer was explaining this to me there was plenty of cars to pass in the other lane and he had to say "Oh, if it were like THIS now five minutes ago, it'd've been okay..." I'm still kinda pissed about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

sting operations are sometimes so satisfying. I remember seeing years ago on Cops where they setup a thing in this high crime projects area where a semi would breakdown and the driver would get instructions from his supervisor to walk to the nearest service station (not an absurd situation) as then locals had devised little hand tools to jimmy open the back and start taking the cargo. But the cops set up a false interior with a trap door with like a half dozen cops hiding and would wait til guys were fully in the car before jumping out and arresting them. That was a fun episode.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Re: Jaywalking, I'm from the Ann Arbor area in Michigan. The city has been NOTORIOUS for people giving zero fucks crossing the road, to the point where around five years ago they passed a law that if you're driving anywhere in the city limits, ALL streets count as crosswalk zones for you to yield in, just because they were fed up with trying to stop the pedestrians. I've heard of people getting tickets for not slowing down when someone was standing on the curb because they might have been crossing. Years ago a coworker of my dad's went to DC on business and started crossing streets the same way Ann Arborites do. Day ONE he gets hit by a car and breaks his leg.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

one last annoying thing about the freeway. Here in Michigan, it's random seemingly how many lanes you'll get. Like near me is a stretch where the normally two lane interstate expands to three for whatever reason (mostly because after the 8 or 10 miles a left-hand exit pops up) Anyways, nearly every friggin time that I drive those stretches do I see semis who seem to think that means that since it's no longer just the slow lane and the passing lane, that they should move over and continue at their pace of 15-20mph slower than the speed limit in the center lane too. This gets hilariously frustrating when they do it to a point where the left lane ends and suddenly they're the rear end in a top hat in the passing lane going super slow and can't get back to the slow lane because they clearly thought any of that through.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This needs more attention.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

:suspense:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Shitbird that hiked up the price of an AIDS drug to obscene levels ($750/pill) just had a competitor release a similar pill that they sell for $100/bottle, averaging out to ~$1/pill.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/10/drug-with-rage-inducing-5000-price-hike-now-has-1pill-competitor/

Fantastic, now the problem is over and the country can go back to completely ignoring how every single pharmaceutical company does this practice but gets away with it because unlike that guy have a platoon of lawyers and several congressmen in their pockets.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Once a drug is generic anyone can do this, this idiot tried to price gouge something any company can get the formula too. the only time drug companies can actually gouge is the 7 year period they get if they are the ones to invent a drug

How're you liking your life-dependent epi-pen that's gone up in cost by 1200% in the last 30 years, most of which was only in the last decade?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

he faked it poorly in fact. just a couple hours after posting a doctored x-ray claiming to be his (and stolen off a stock photo site) he posts a picture of him with his guitar asking if anyone else wants to jam. Right.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Shkreli's not an idiot, Shkreli's engaged in entirely predictable, and usually successful, rent-seeking. If he hadn't spiked the cost so much nobody would have loving noticed because their co-pays wouldn't have gone up and the only ones paying the extra cost would be the insurers (and by extension, everyone who has insurance).

The other reason he got the bullseye painted on him is because he tried to do it practically solo, unlike most Big Pharma companies, which as I said earlier have a cadre of lawyers and many politicians bought off to look the other way while they do just this. There's absolutely nothing new or unusualy about Shkreli's actions, he just made himself a target while doing so because he's a big douche.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I got in a fight with my wife yesterday night over generics because she doesn't trust them and I don't know enough other than saying "jesus they're the same I don't know why the label says something else", so thank you for that extensive post I can use to sound very smart and correct now.

This is not always true. There are many drugs where the generic isn't exactly the same as the name brand, just "close enough", which sometimes can mean monumentally being ineffective for individual cases. I've had immunosuppressants where the pharmacy tried to pawn off the generic on me only for the doctor to put his foot down and say "no way". The more complicated and specialized the drug, the more you should probably ask your doctor first before using a generic version. Something like blood pressure pills or pain relief post surgery are fine, but some fancy specialized anti-cancer drug or something is a case where you need to be more prudent.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what NPR told me recently (I don't need them) they now cost close to $400 USD. You have to buy them in two packs at that price tag, but that's also the only way they're sold anymore.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, if I'm seeing correctly, what happens here is she trips over something left in the way by a lazy stagehand when setting up the artificial wall?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

The Huffington Post hotlinked a The Oatmeal comic. The Oatmeal author caught on, so for a while HuffPo showed this:

Very recently Wil Wheaton had a blog post go viral about this very thing. Huffington asked him if they could reprint an article he wrote. He asked how much do they pay contributors, and they hemmed and hawwed, explaining they don't, but it's great widespread exposure for his work! He said no. The blog post talks about how the claim of "exposure" is a dirty business attempt and how no matter what you create, you should never let yourself be ripped off like that. In his case, he figured even at industry minimums per word he should be offered $260, which isn't much for a guy like him, but it's still more than zero.

HuffPo not exactly making a lot of allies lately.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure this is precisely why people watch lingerie ball.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

This is bullshit and you suck.

Glad I'm not the only one seeing the absurdity in this argument.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

It's plagiarized anyways.

:thejoke:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PopRocks posted:

The band Brand New featured those images on the T-shirts for their tour:

Which is the same shirt infamous "pharma bro" Martin Shkreli was pictured wearing in many news stories:

because he loves Emo: http://www.stereogum.com/1832749/notorious-aids-drug-price-gouger-is-a-post-hardcore-figurehead/news/

so the proceeds from the shirt go to AIDS charities now, which is awesome:
http://brandnew.merchdirect.com/products/56018-e-i-d-kite-whitman-walker-health-charity

But I also feel like there is some metaphor there, like being so smug about raising the price of a drug astronomically and becoming the most hated man in America and having rivals introduce similar drugs for $1 is somewhat akin to pissing on a live wire.

And now he's been summoned to a Senate committe investigation:
http://www.attn.com/stories/4013/shkreli-senate-committee-investigation

Because nothing screams "make something illegal" to legislators like doing something abhorrent and then bragging about how it isn't illegal.

Too bad the proceeds from the shirt aren't going to Toxoplasmosis charities, which the medication he owns is for, but the news agencies kept saying was for AIDS patients. :toxogond:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rysithusiku posted:

I've seen this so many times and I STILL don't know what he was actually aiming to do.

flip over the fence without falling I presume.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

AIDS is also known as "acquired immune deficiency syndrome" where your immune cells kick the bucket hard and your body slow dies as it becomes incapable of dealing with such simple things as a sore throat, food poisoning or minor parasite infections (such as toxoplasmosis) without killing you. For this reason you get given a poo poo load of drugs which are for otherwise benign or harmless conditions because your body is literally incapable of dealing with them otherwise.

I realize why aids patients take the drug. But other immunocompromised people like organ transplantees and pregnant women are very much dependent on the drug as well.

Not to mention people who take the meds just cause they inhaled their cat's poo poo.

:goonsay:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Though the kerning would be weird, that'd be really easy to fix at least.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Trundel posted:

Joke's on him. I'm not entirely sure but I think one of the cat spray urine at the wall as it goes flying.

Considering the followup video shows one of the cats just sitting in the crib eating loose food thrown all over it I'm not thinking sanitation is this guy's first interest. :barf::toxogond::barf:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ski Free taught me that Yetis on ski slopes are no laughing matter :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Let's just do this potentially explosive science experiment just at my desk next to my keyboard in my crowded room, I'm sure nothing will get in the way or damaged...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RE: Sodium chat. My high school science teacher had a fun story once. He had a rock of sodium in his classroom for display about the size of a softball, along with all sorts of other displays. One time some boys stole it and decided to throw it in the toilet in the bathroom...and were disappointed when nothing happened, so they left the bathroom. See, the thing had been sitting for years and had a layer of all sorts of stuff on it, from oxidization to oils and dirt from being handled. This took a while for the water to soak through. About fifteen minutes later there was an explosion so big it shook the whole school and there was nothing left of the stall it was put in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just before I went into high school, a different HS in my area that had multiple stories to the building brought a cow into the school for their senior prank. Fun fact, cows are physically unable to go down staircases, but can go up just fine... :smith:

My grade was all either preppy jocks, or weirdo drama geeks (in like a 4:1 ratio) so there wasn't anybody with both the ingenuity to come up with a good senior prank and the resources to pull it off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well where were they on the day the cow went upstairs at the high school?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bushmaori posted:

It must have if he went there.

My post clearly said it wasn't my school but a different one in county.

Also, I'm a legit cripple. So I guess the Schadenfreude is that you're a douchebag.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'll never understand why in the 21st century, people still treat rotten food like a "treat". It seems like it's the polar regions that do it the most too. Just cause you've got more ice doesn't mean you can't cook your food. cripes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MF_James posted:

Eh I doubt it, although the guy does have a few pictures of guns (one of which I KNOW is illegal to possess) on his facebook account. I'm sure he doesn't own any of them legally.

So...how does that mean the SWAT guys probably won't end up shooting him? :raise:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The size of the feet/legs and legging color make me think young girl, which makes the driver seem extra creepy for doing so.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ragequit posted:

"This one happened January this year in Michigan. 193 Vehicles involved, somehow only one guy died despite a fireworks truck blowing up."

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk

Seriously, last winter was abso-loving-lutely insane here in MI, and the worst one on record.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Playing the stock market is just literally gambling on the value of companies to the economy. I have zero sympathy when someone moans that it's not fair that they have to pay up for the personal loss they incur when informed risks lose big. That's why it's gambling, and the first rule of gambling is "don't bet what you can't afford to lose"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

im pooping! posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you can drop into negative numbers. It's not like it can happen with anything else aside from straight up gambling. Even if cash were devalued to nothing incredibly rapidly, it's not like you would owe the government money, you'd just have no cash. I'm sorry if it's a derail, but I don't understand enough about the stock market to see schadenfreude in some guy owing over $100k because of reasons I can't comprehend.

I know nothing of the stock market more than you, but based on what they just said in this thread, I think how it works is like say, Mr. X is selling a stock priced at $10, so you come across Mr. Y who is willing to buy the stock from YOU at $11, on the grounds that the sale goes through but you don't pay X for his stock until Y buys it from you. You do such a thing because you hope by the end of the day, the price from X will go down to $8, and you make an extra $2 off Mr Y. Or, as in the case here, the stock COULD go up to $25 by the end of the day, and you're suddenly in the hole $14 because you only had $11 from Y to spend on it.

Do I have that correct?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Every time I see that gif I'm more sure the guy just died :ohdear:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The word part of my brain is stupidly refusing to play nice with my picture brain part. Could someone provide some sort of diagram as to why putting the trucks on backwards switches the turn angle? I'm asking this unironically, I'm actually kinda confused here and want to learn more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

I've never been on a skateboard but from looking at pictures of one I assume it's like this amazing ms paint I did

If I'm wrong then I guess the Schadenfreude is me.

I know what a truck is on a skateboard and have since I was a kid. I guess I've somehow made it to 35 without having any idea how they actually worked however. That actually clears up a lot!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Very few of those look like "accidents". That third one where the guy appears to be doing it by hand with his face right over the fryer inside his garage though...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This is so great I'd almost think it was choreographed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If Trump wins, I am seriously, no joke, completely seriously thinking about moving to Canada. I'd rather live in a syrupy frozen wasteland than in Trumps Retarded States of America.

In 2004, when Bush got re-elected, my now ex-wife and I strongly looked into moving to Canada. We were going to go to Victoria BC. She had visited and fell in love with the city in her youth, and I was just finishing up a film degree (shut up, I know I'm an idiot already) so it seemed idyllic. Turns out to emigrate there, you have to prove that you have skills that will get you a job or make you a valuable member to society, and in order to get on their health program (which isn't that great to begin with) you have to live there for a year first. I'm disabled with a very chronic condition (kidney failure due to a genetic fluke) so going a full year with zero health care would be a death sentence for me unfortunately.