Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well clearly yellow sweets can't be very good at all if they're relevant to the schadenfreude thread. :colbert: It's not :ssh:

For content:

(tell me if this counts as image leeching, I know the host and have permission)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Random Stranger posted:

I don't care how awful our lemon candies are, there's no reason to insult us by saying British food is better.

British sweets != British food. They're amazing. :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And to top it off, IIRC the literally one video card at all that didn't horribly stutter and crash was not the one they had a massive promotion with. Nvidia were not exactly happy with them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mulva posted:

If you don't believe that every keystroke you type into a Google or Google affiliated product is being captured in realtime then you are delusional.

So then it doesn't matter what ISP you use, does it? Everyone's going to be tracked constantly no matter what, may as well go with/wish for Google Fibre for the speed. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe they're actually trying to defuse the situation without unnecessary fatalities? Ditching eggs at people is, yes, still a crime but the punishment for it is also not usually capital. Generally people trained to use guns are told to only even think about touching the holster is someone's life is in danger and unlike certain newsworthy police forces they're simply following that training.

E: VVV That's what I wanted to say but I guess you're braver than me. :v:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Nov 5, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I know I wasn't serious when I asked why they didn't shoot and I am quite certain the poster you quoted isn't serious, either. Was it that difficult to detect? :(

Nah that'd be my bad for being unsure and assuming the worst. :downs: Guess the 'freude's on me.

E: for content

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Nov 5, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My high school had, until the year before mine, a school-acknowledged if not -sanctioned "muck up day", and students were given relative freedom and were happy to clean up afterwards. For my year they tried to have us pay twelve bucks each to play ten pin bowling with the two other morons who didn't just not show that day. :fuckoff:

E: VVV gently caress poo poo up and play end of year pranks, but with a dumb name because we have to maintain the pretence that you're children even if you're legally not.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Nov 12, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From the Dangerous Chemicals thread:

President Ark posted:

i vaguely recall a case where a shipment of these things [radiation sources] for medical imaging technology or something was stolen in (mexico?), was covered in warning labels, and the thieves were told that they were dumbshits, they still took it, and were found all dead of radiation poisoning in the desert a few days later or something

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For all the contributions from here that wind up in the cute thread, it's high time something got cross posted to here. From Stupid Life Hacks:

netally posted:

I so want this to be real.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think the bottom line of what he's asking is "why are they 'out to get you', why are they always looking 'for evidence to incriminate you', why do they have such an 'us vs them mentality', what the gently caress is wrong with US police and why do Americans put up with it? :stare:". Because in other countries the police generally exist to, shock and horror, enforce the law. What I'm about to say is an anecdote but no more than half this argument, in Australia I've been pulled over for random roadside breath tests plenty of times, afaik you can't and certainly no one tries to refuse, and when I've blown 0.00 I've been free to go, rather than having the contents of my car thrown in a ditch and everyone thinking that's normal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fat Loser posted:

Like a pinata filled with cheetos, mountain dew, and awkwardness? Or a pants-making GBS threads tether-ball? Possibly both.

Probably both.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can post a link or recount, but a child-killing tetherball.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jippa posted:

Join us brits in the roundabout club. :wotwot:

South Australia has roundabouts and lacks hook turns even where there aren't roundabouts. :smug::hf::wotwot:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: ^^^ I imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to pull up next to the window of a car that's already stopped than waste time flagging down someone moving at speed and missing who know how many other people doing the same thing.

Ozz81 posted:

drat I wish police in the US cracked down like this. AFAIK cell phones are banned/illegal but police can only cite you for it if they pull you over for another infraction, I may be wrong though. People might wise the gently caress up if we handled auto cell bans like Australia does and, y'know, actually punished someone for being a careless idiot.

I'm not American, but I've read about secondary enforcement in the context of seatbelts. Yeah, they can't book you for that alone, it's only against the law for the sake of drumming up more charges if they catch you doing something else at the same time. :thumbsup:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I always assumed that the prison rape stuff was just a stereotype, hence all the completely unapologetic jokes. It actually happens? :stonk:

E: Oh god this is a derail now I'm so sorry. :ohdear:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Dec 11, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Just like some threads aren't suitable for work, some aren't fit for low bandwidth/memory constraints. You're an idiot if you've been following this thread for more than a couple of days and still haven't realized it's super bandwidth heavy. It's like going to the PYF Gif thread from an actual C64.

I'm pretty sure the point is that page in particular had a whole lot bunch of gigantic gifs that really should have been webms with no good reason for them not to be. It's not a matter of poor connections or data plans, only that page has given me problems.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Like so much else, it's a perfectly fine idea on paper. You're innocent until proven guilty, so we don't want to throw you in jail, but if you are guilty, you could take the opportunity to skip town, so we'll take a sizeable deposit as discouragement. Above posters have already detailed why it doesn't work in execution.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Especially since it's a similar but (according to other posters here) inferior version of the same thing, which xokes off as assuming the kid is too stupid to know the difference.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So do these things actually hover or are they mopeds without the handlebars?

E: The hoverboards all over the last page that is. One of these days I'll have a page-topper that is not The Worst. :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mainly phone post/read and they could have been just in case. Figured it couldn't hurt to double check, seeing as they're called hoverboards and all.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To not walk at all?

If it's far enough that walking is impractical, get in your car. If you find there's middle ground either you're too worried about fuel efficiency (in which case you're probably accustomed to walking this distances anyway) or you're lazy. In any case, it's not even remotely comparable to mobile phones, especially since bikes, scooters, Segways and whatever the gently caress else already exist.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

But I mean, again, these stupid things aren't the first, fastest, or easiest to use product of its kind. Even if people are so lazy that "replacement for walking" is a product on par with loving mobile phones, that niche has already been filled by plenty of products that don't result in a page of crash pictures in this thread. Please tell me that me reading posts here as advocating these things is a gross misreading. Or else that the posts saying so are trolling and I'm just a fool.

E:

Somfin posted:

Something Awful users choose to post in forums in the year 2015- we're mild luddites by nature.

This is exactly the sort of comment I mean, the tone of others sounds like "oh you just hate them because :rolleyes:goons:rolleyes:, hover boards are totally the next phone".

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Dec 27, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We're all pathetic, we're arguing about Cracked again already. :v:

It was this thread that just had this fight, right? Or was that Dumb Moves in Marketing or something?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Timelapse of NYE celebrations somewhere. :stonklol:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is that security guard taking a fuckin' selfie with a bleeding, questionably conscious guy?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Subjunctive posted:

And open a checking account? The "merchant" is a credit union.

He means the other party involved. :ssh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

fins posted:

What game is this from?

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, unless it's trailer footage of one of the two recent spiritual successors in the making.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm irrationally annoyed when I really shouldn't be surprised that a truck full of (valuable?) goods and a historic bridge are totally destroyed and she only cares that her cab is OK. :mad:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Am I mistaken or did both Bowie and Rickman die of the same type of cancer at age 69 within a week of each other? :tinfoil:

E: VVV Going off a discussion where I am now so I very well could be wrong, at least on that count.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Jan 14, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'd like to imagine he's taking the pan to charge at whoever is holding the camera. :laugh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Both cats and dogs, in my experience, have a really strong reflex against contact around the hind legs, but I'm no zoologist. Must be some evolutionary instinct. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo, the head even took out a ladder. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, if we're telling personal anecdotes for schadenfreude, I spent an hour trapped in a bedroom last night by a faulty door handle that was being installed. Make sure the latch actually retracts when you turn the handle before closing the door, kids! :downs: Fortunately for me but unfortunately for freude, we forced it open two bent files and a scratched doorframe later rather than having to break it down.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Slugnoid posted:

Most modern bathroom doors have special "lift-off" hinges where you can just grab the closed door, give it a lift and the whole thing should just pop right out of the frame.
They're so EMTs can haul your rear end out of there when you give yourself a brain haemorrhage squeezing out a hard dump.

Bedroom, unless you just meant it as a general PSA, and while you had no way of knowing, the door was far from modern. We considered removing the whole door, but the hinges were sealed by decades-old paint.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jippa posted:

What is it?

Looks like a box of Oreos. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sorry for the tangent, but I've always thought "ADJECTIVE INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC" subtitles would be useless because a deaf person wouldn't know how that could sound, but I guess it's different with cochlear implants/not being born deaf. How do you feel about them?

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Jan 22, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Subjunctive posted:

Also, not all deaf people are born deaf.

In my incredibly weak defense, "always" includes when I was a dumb kid and I haven't had a reason to think about it in loving ages. :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's pretty incredible that they got "friend of the family" to fit on 6 shirts. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: Unnecessary poo poo-stirring, don't post tired/angry, kids! But as an Australian, :fuckoff: Ted.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jan 28, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Another minor personal moment: Fumbling back from a midnight toilet trip in the dark, I went straight past my bedroom door and smashed straight into the wall, waking the house and hurting like hell. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From PYF awful/funny graphs.

Phanatic posted:

Pretty much, apparently:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/russia-launches-safe-selfie-guide-light-deaths-150707132204704.html

quote:

In January, two young men blew themselves up in the Ural Mountains while taking a selfie holding a hand grenade with the pin pulled out. The mobile phone with the selfie survived as a record.