Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

One of the many things I've learned about this subforum is that Goons have collected, tried and tested some amazing recipes!

I've perfected my Chili, made Chicken Marsala that I've never even heard of before, I can make Char Siu Bao and have found tips for my gyoza fillings.

I am however having trouble finding non-preachy recipes for food that is Good For You. I'm pretty sure everything I'm doing is Doing It Wrong as I can't seem to kick-start sustainable weight loss without being hungry all the drat time. For example I just saw in the Blue Story thread that cooked potato has fewer calories than rice? I would never have guessed.

I am happy to cook 4 portions of something on a Sunday and save it for Monday-Thursday's lunch. Even better if I can freeze four different things and reheat at work so I get some variety, however I get the feeling that the type of food I'm looking for does not freeze or freeze well.

Personally, I do not eat Raw Tomato, Cucumber, Celery or Banana however do not shy away from recipes containing these as this can be a resource for all!
(I wish I could as Tomato is in so many things, I keep trying but it's passata or nothing for me and I really feel like I'm missing out)

I am grateful to accept all hints and tips on how to lower calorie-count without getting myself gout and any recipes I will edit this post and link in the top here!

Chia Seed Chocolate Pudding (Vegan) from exquisite tea
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747126#post451644825

African Peanut Stew (Vegan) from Democratic Pirate
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747126#post451758395

I leave as an offering a salad I have been making occasionally for my lunches which is

Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Peas, Avocado & Lemon Basil Dressing (Vegan)
Serves: 4
Calories: 407

Taken from:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/quinoa-salad-with-asparagus-peas-avocado-lemon-basil-dressing/

For the Dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the salad:
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small bunch asparagus, about 15 spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup frozen peas
1 avocado, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped basil

1. In a small bowl or medium jar, combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine or shake with the jar lid on tight. Set aside.
2. Add water, quinoa, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, cook the asparagus. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the asparagus and fresh lemon juice. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, peas, and avocado. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the fresh basil and serve.

Mofette fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

If you are trying to lose weight, just eat less calories. It literally doesn't matter. Download MFP, put what you eat in it, profit. I find it easier to just eat macro. Like, a pan cooked 6oz pork chop with baked asparagus and chives. Scrambled eggs with black beans and some hot sauce is a rad breakfast. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight, as long as it is in the right portion sizes.

It sounds like you would really benefit from eating Macro, which means recipes are largely "season this, now cook it."

But for real, download MFP. Chances are you do not know how much you are eating calorically in a day. You can not out run your fork for weight loss, and "healthy" foods is all about eating all the different colors and getting a decent amount of your carbs from fruit and vegetables instead of pasta and sugar and bread.

EDIT:
For my pan cooked salmon, I use Fiesta brand "uncle chris steak seasoning". I use a 4-6oz cut of salmon, and give it a light rub down. spray the pan with pam or put a small amount of oil that can handle the heat in the pan. I put the stove top to 3/4 or high heat and let it warm up with the pan on the stove. I place the salmon skin down so I get a crispy skin, after a the salmon is cooked about half way through, I put the heat down to half and wait a minute to flip it so the skin is facing up. The temp of the salmon is up to you, the more thoroughly you want it cooked, the longer you leave it on.

For baked chives and asparagus I throw the oven to 350f, and bake them for about 10 minutes. Seasoning can be whatever you want. Heck, use the seasoning I mentioned before. I promise you will be sated after a meal like this and it will be under 500 cal for a huge portion.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 16, 2015

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

If you are trying to lose weight, just eat less calories. It literally doesn't matter. Download MFP, put what you eat in it, profit. I find it easier to just eat macro. Like, a pan cooked 6oz pork chop with baked asparagus and chives. Scrambled eggs with black beans and some hot sauce is a rad breakfast. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight, as long as it is in the right portion sizes.
EDIT:
For my pan cooked salmon, I use Fiesta brand "uncle chris steak seasoning".

I already use MFP and on a 'good' day I can come in at 1100 - 1360 which is the suggestion for my weight and activity levels, however I can find myself really hungry. I'm finding (and partially assuming) that not all calories are equal when it comes to staying full all day. I work away from home so what I take in is what I have. I don't want to have to resort to the snacks in the canteen as there are no bloody labels and I assume as they are tasty as gently caress they are terrible for me.

I'm in the UK so I will have to look for another seasoning - I have quite the full pantry of herbs and spices, with my own herb garden outside so I will try to find a steak seasoning here. I absolutely love Lemon/Lime pepper and I need to order some Tajin off Amazon.

I was going to default to "Buy some protein, cook, eat with veggies" but I was hoping for some more interesting recipes for lunch as I can't cook a salmon or steak in a micro at work ;) I'm really after cold or re-heatable foods that I Can prep at a weekend (Don't mind a fair bit of prep, there are 2 shows on the radio on a Sunday that I like to listen to, so cooking then is good) so if I can micro the salmon and asparagus, great!

I will try to remember the fresh fish counter more often - thanks!

Edit: For breakfast I'm having scrambled or dry-fried eggs with mushrooms and lemon pepper - its sometimes leaving me feeling queasy most morning but I'm putting that down to eating too early TBH

Mofette fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 16, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I find lentils keep me full. I have a lazy lunch thing I do quite often. I do 1/4 cup (45g) of puy lentils in a pan with 3/4 cup of water for 20 minutes then about 3-4 mins before they're done I drop in cumin, cayenne and turmeric (which I do not measure), half a small onion diced and whatever meat I wish, usually about 100-120g of cooked chicken leftovers or defrosted frozen prawns and about 40-50g of frozen peas and let that cook until lentils are done and everything is heated through, maybe adding a drop of oil or extra water if it starts to stick to the bottom which it usually does. I fry an egg and set that on top.

With 100g chicken leg meat it's about 450kcal (45g protein, 37g carbs, 14g fat).

I would like more simple recipes for lentils actually if anyone has any.

Roasting a chicken keeps me going for most of the week really, a big chicken leg with baby potatoes, some gravy-granule gravy and some steamed or roasted veg is very easy to keep under 500kcal then the leftovers are easily pulled, kept in a bowl and portioned off as you need them. I can do fried rice, risotto, paella, or a curry with it then, all under or around 500kcal. It's mostly just measuring your rice. I eat a lot of rice.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

This upcoming Tuesday Ill make a lasagna using zucchini or eggplant instead of noodles and make a calorie to serving set for it.

One of the easiest meals I make for work is seared ahi tuna and wasabi mashed potatoes. You can kick the potatoes out in favor of brussel sprouts.

Lets make the soy glaze. I take about 1/2 a clove of finely chopped garlic, one stalk chive, about 10-15g of shaved ginger, and half a cup of soy sauce. You can add some sugar or teriyaki glaze to the mix if you want it sweeter. I use this for the brussle sprouts as well as pouring a small amount over the seared tuna.

Oven at 450 for about 20 minutes for the sprouts that are coated in the soy glaze. A small sprinkle of Parmesan will help round the sprouts out.

Sear the tuna steaks. meals that move!

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

When I was losing weight, I used Mfp and tried to fill up on low calory high volume food, so as to not stay hungry all the time.

Besides large salads (too bad you don't eat raw tomatoes) the thing that satisfied and filled me the most were soups.

You can eat a lot of soup and consume relatively few calories, especially if you don't necessarily put noodles or rice in them.

They're also great to bring to work, taste better on the next day, and heat up easily .

I also really liked to make a puree of steamed cauliflower, broccoli, and zucchini.
Season it with nutmeg, maybe some caraway, and top it with sliced roasted mushrooms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So are you just looking for some recipes that are easy to make and satiating while being relatively low-calorie? I have a bunch of stuff like that I prepare for myself but I would hesitate to call them full-fledged recipes, more like healthy things I can whip up quickly. One of my favorite go-tos is a chia seed chocolate pudding that you can either eat for breakfast or as a dessert. Incredibly simple, rich flavor, decent macros too if you're into the whole fitness thing.

1/4c black chia seeds
1c almond milk
1 tbl brown sugar
1 tbl white sugar
2 tbl unsweetened cacao powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients into a bowl, stir until thoroughly mixed. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then stir again. Cover and chill in the fridge for 2+ hours or overnight. The chia seeds will absorb almost all the liquid and you'll be left with a very milky, dense texture not unlike chocolate pudding. Tasty, filling and has tons of fiber for under ~400 calories per serving. I sometimes add nuts or sub protein powder in the place of white sugar.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

chia seed chocolate pudding

Thank you for this!! I'm terrified of eating seeds as pudding, but if I can find them over here then I'll give it a go!

I'm not necessarily after low-effort, easy to make, more specifically able to eat cold or reheat in a microwave at work :)

eine dose socken posted:

Besides large salads (too bad you don't eat raw tomatoes) the thing that satisfied and filled me the most were soups.

I am absolutely loving shite at Soup. Every soup I've made has been boring as gently caress or thick enough to hold the spoon up and it was like a labour to eat. I think I should try again! Time to tupperware shop for soup containers!! Thanks :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Delicious soup protips:

1. Make your own stock.
2. ???
3. Profit.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mofette posted:

Thank you for this!! I'm terrified of eating seeds as pudding, but if I can find them over here then I'll give it a go!

I'm not necessarily after low-effort, easy to make, more specifically able to eat cold or reheat in a microwave at work :)

I am absolutely loving shite at Soup. Every soup I've made has been boring as gently caress or thick enough to hold the spoon up and it was like a labour to eat. I think I should try again! Time to tupperware shop for soup containers!! Thanks :)

Make this: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/ (discovered via the 'What did you cook last night' thread).

Cheap as hell, easy as hell, good as hell. I would recommend using chicken stock and maybe adding some shredded chicken, but it was very tasty as is. Just don't be an idiot like me and leave the soup on a stovetop turned to maximum heat once the soup starts boiling (getting the collard greens ready took longer than expected), because in a blink the soup will boil over and then hit your stovetop and start smoking and then you spend the next few minutes opening every window/door in your living area to shut the drat fire alarm off.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mofette posted:

the suggestion for my weight and activity levels, however I can find myself really hungry. I'm finding (and partially assuming) that not all calories are equal when it comes to staying full all day.

I'm 100 pounds down since March of last year and this is exactly true. What works for you will be very very personal, but I always found even if I ate salad to the point of distress, I would feel hungrier sooner than a lower-volume meal of a reasonable amount of good fats.

My number one tip is avocado. 100 calories of avocado is between a quarter and a half, depending on size and variety. That much avocado with some good soy sauce is a surprisingly filling breakfast -- not a lot of volume, but you feel sated for hours.

Lunch, as you obviously well-know and many have said above, is a matter of bringing food from home in a reasonable portion. Three ounces of pork loin, half a sweet potato, and roast radicchio (w/olive oil) are together about 350 calories. That was my lunch yesterday, and it lasted me all afternoon.

My number two tip is snacks that you like, are prepacked, and are good to eat. Light Babybels keep forever in the work fridge, are cheap, and are 50 cal with 6g of protein.

My last tip is the only one in the nature of a recipe: Sous vide. Lean meat is lovely. Lean meat does not taste good. But lean meat done sous vide stays moist and flavorful without adding any fat. And (as I'm constantly going on about) it makes pre-cooking food for the week on the weekend incredibly easy. The pork loin referred to above? Prepped and cooked more than a month ago when I got a five pound loin on special. Sunday night I pulled it out of the vacuum bag, blasted it in the oven for some color, sliced it into ~1oz slices, and it's been the protein in half our meals since.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Bachelor Chow:
165g re-fried beans with a bunch of pico de gallo on top. less than 300 cal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I saw a few people recommend Cook This, Not That! in another thread a while back and picked that up. I've made a number of recipes out of it and they've been pretty good so far, even if I don't agree 100% with the alleged cost savings.

Secret Spoon posted:

Bachelor Chow:
165g re-fried beans with a bunch of pico de gallo on top. less than 300 cal.

drat that sounds good, too bad my wife would never eat that with me.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I saw a few people recommend Cook This, Not That! in another thread a while back and picked that up. I've made a number of recipes out of it and they've been pretty good so far, even if I don't agree 100% with the alleged cost savings.

drat that sounds good, too bad my wife would never eat that with me.

Sprinkle low fat cheddar, cut the beans to 110g and add some chicken breast and call it a burrito bowl or whatever.

E:
Sear some shrimp in a garlic and teaspoon of oil, salt and pepper to taste. A mix of black and kidney beans, healthy amounts of pico and add a little goat cheese. Bam, 450 calories for a banging high protein meal.

Me and my brother usually do low cal for morning and lunch and just crushing it for dinner. I think making our own salsas, sauces, salad dressings and what not is what made eating healthy easy. Anyone can bake a fish with some seasoning. But a mango pineapple salsa on top makes it rad.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 23, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
If you want to lose weight, get comfortable with feeling hungry. Lose your addiction to needing to "feel full".

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

indoflaven posted:

If you want to lose weight, get comfortable with feeling hungry. Lose your addiction to needing to "feel full".

Thats what water is for.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

Thats what water is for.

Yeah I have no problem with drinking tons of water, we have a great cooler at work. I do have a problem with being so hungry it feels like I'm going to throw up. I don't think I said I ever needed to feel full?

Spurred on by you lot I actually cooked a soup that tasted amazing! No more soupy failures for me!!

Red Lentil and Chorizo Soup
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3020698/red-lentil-and-chorizo-soup

The calorie count lies on the site, it came out more like 350-400 a portion depending on your chorizo but holy crap it was amazing for lunch. 2 portions frozen, 4 for work.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Overnight refrigerator oatmeal is my midmorning snack. The base recipe is this:

1/4C oatmeal (old fashioned)
1/4C greek yogurt
1/3C skim milk
2 tbsp Peanut Butter

You can swap in fruits if you like. I modified mine. I replaced the peanut butter with the same amount of PB2, regular or chocolate as both are good. I also add in 2tbsp of ground flax seed.

Egg beaters in place of eggs are also good if you need to cut down on cholesterol. Breakfast is an english muffin with egg beaters in a sandwhich maker as a sort of homemade egg mcmuffin kind of thing. Pretty tasty!

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
If you are just beginning on your exercising and calorie-counting, may I suggest two things:

Check out this thread first

Try Michael Matthews' "The Shredded Chef" . All his recipes have a calorie count at the bottom of the recipes

Other than than, oatmeal porridge will get you far through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

I liked Alton Brown's method of "dieting", though I'm sad this doesn't show his before/after:

http://lifehacker.com/simplify-your-diet-with-alton-browns-four-lists-method-1699651847

• Locked thread