Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Griff Whalen sounds like a fake 80s hair metal band guitarist

"Bro did you hear, Griff Whalen and Duff McKagan are playing at the Garden!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I always think of Duff McWhalen from MMX5, which is pretty much his name anyways.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
According to Pat McAfee the Colts had been working on that play since last year.

Nov 6, 2002

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That play has been pulled off successfully, by the University of Maine of all people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There's nothing wrong with the play in principle, we don't know how they would have adjusted if they got the alignment they were looking for. The problem is that Griff Whalen was a Patriots plant all along and took that moment to go rogue.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was probated because I made a dumb bad post and my biggest lament in that time is that I couldn't post my reaction to this play realtime. I want my first post back to be in tribute to that amazing moment.

:patriot:

DJExile posted:

That play has been pulled off successfully, by the University of Maine of all people.

This owns because holy poo poo that helicopter

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 19, 2015

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

DJExile posted:

One thing you will notice about every other attempt to run a swinging gate is no ever lines up directly under center, because you're just asking the other team to line up like 3 dudes there and instantly eat a sack. Another thing you may notice, is that usually the team running the swinging gate has any loving clue what they're doing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So much of Belichick's "genius" can be boiled down to a) don't be fuckin' stupid and b) don't interrupt the other guy when he's being fuckin' stupid.

Also don't fight a land war in Asia, because come the gently caress on.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

sean10mm posted:

So much of Belichick's "genius" can be boiled down to a) don't be fuckin' stupid and b) don't interrupt the other guy when he's being fuckin' stupid.

Also don't fight a land war in Asia, because come the gently caress on.

That last Superbowl really should be prefaced with the Napoleon quote "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sweet thursday posted:

Because this is a safe space I just want to say that I really love Jewish women

They are literally the best

Nov 6, 2002

Raku posted:

That last Superbowl really should be prefaced with the Napoleon quote "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."

Excuse me. I believe that was Abraham Lincoln.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I'd never encountered a "swinging gate" play before this game, and thought I was having a weird football seizure or something when this happened live. It was amazing.

Is the goal to have the QB drop way back, pass to one of the receivers in the sideline pileup, and then move the ball forward in a weird rugby scrum thing?

This game owned.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

NC-17 posted:

Excuse me. I believe that was Abraham Lincoln.

Jacques Cousteau

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexican-Adam-Schefter/704425772961399

Im a sucker for Tecmo recreations. First video on that page

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sweet thursday posted:

Jacques Cousteau

Kurt Cobain

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Chromatic posted:

no the chiefs need to lose as many games as possible so that that they may draft a quar...tor....bok? I think that's how you say it.

There isn't a QB coming out in the draft you'd want over Alex Smith. It's that bad of a draft for QB's.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I'd never encountered a "swinging gate" play before this game, and thought I was having a weird football seizure or something when this happened live. It was amazing.

Is the goal to have the QB drop way back, pass to one of the receivers in the sideline pileup, and then move the ball forward in a weird rugby scrum thing?

This game owned.

I have an entire offense built in my mind around a variety of swinging gate formations and a mobile QB that I just know would totally work.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I have an entire offense built in my mind around a variety of swinging gate formations and a mobile QB that I just know would totally work.

Still better than my playbook.

It's a flashcard with "FLEA FLICKER" on one side and "RUN THE DANG BALL" on the other.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Beautiful Ninja posted:

There isn't a QB coming out in the draft you'd want over Alex Smith. It's that bad of a draft for QB's.

Not even goff?

Nov 6, 2002

Hey look finally an actual explanation from the Colts that makes sense.

Pat McAfee posted:

“The point of the play is a deception play,” McAfee said, via Colts.com. “So, you’re trying to manipulate the [opponent] into thinking they have to sub their defense back on. We are sprinting to the sideline in hopes to make the other team think we are subbing our offense back onto the field. So, when they think the offense is coming back on the field, your hope is that they think their defense has to come back on the field. . . . As soon as their defense comes back on the field, we snap it, steal five yards, and we get a first down. So there’s the intention of it. That’s the thought. . . .”

“The gunner who became the center all week was [safety] Clayton Geathers,” McAfee said. “Clayton Geathers gets injured in the second quarter. Insert Griff Whalen who had never done it before. So Griff Whalen is now the new center in a play he’s never practiced before.”

To make things worse, Whalen didn’t know that a wrinkle had been added to the play — an effort to draw the Patriots offside if they didn’t fall for the 12-man banana in he tailpipe.

“Last week [in practice], Griff is at the other end catching my punts,” McAfee said. “We added something to try and draw them offsides if they don’t do their substitution. Griff never got the heads up this was happening, because it’s not in the playbook. Stanford guy, reads the playbook, knows everything he has to do, but if he’s not there for an audible that’s added, he can’t know. . . .

“Griff has no idea we’re trying to draw the guy offsides because in the play it says if we get under center, snap it. So Colt Anderson is trying to draw a guy offsides to pick up an easy five yards. If not, we just don’t snap it. We take a delay of game.

“Griff goes, ‘His hands aren’t supposed to be on my rear end. If I feel him right now, I’m supposed to snap it.’ So this is a 100 percent miscommunication. It’s literally a miscommunication.”

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Let's run a trick play with a player in a crucial position who doesn't know the trick play - The Colts

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Holy loving poo poo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let's run a trick play with a player in a crucial position who doesn't know the trick play - The Colts

I thought Pagano was just trying to take the heat off his players when he accepted the blame, but no, it really was his loving fault.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
I made a lovely edit of the Dean image out of this.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

I thought Pagano was just trying to take the heat off his players when he accepted the blame, but no, it really was his loving fault.

I actually like the Colts but the fact that they are probably going to win their division is a disgrace at this point.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

NC-17 posted:

Why does Chuck Pagano still have a job?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

pasaluki posted:

I actually like the Colts but the fact that they are probably going to win their division is a disgrace at this point.

This is just the year of teams who don't deserve to winning their division.

Colts, Eagles, Cardinals, Broncos.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

pasaluki posted:

AFC South is a disgrace so checks out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Has either the NFC or AFC South ever not been the worst division in their conference?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has either the NFC or AFC South ever not been the worst division in their conference?

It was the NFC West before they inexplicably became amazing overnight.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

NFC South has had multiple playoff participants in recent memory (like Falcons and Saints both going in the same year).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like right now the NFC East is right in front of you.

Hell, the Falcons have swept that whole division already.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

NFC South has had multiple playoff participants in recent memory (like Falcons and Saints both going in the same year).

Oh man, remember that one year when the Saints won the division and the Panthers were the only member of the division with a losing record?

Oh, how the mighty Josh Freeman has fallen. I believe the Panthers drafted Cam Newton the following year, after going 2/14.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

fsif posted:

Yeah this was a colossal fuckup to run the play with a snapper who didn't know the loving play.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

AFC South actually had a couple decent years when the Titans were still pretty good, the Texans were young and exciting, the Jags were underachievers and Peyton was in his prime. A couple years they actually had the most wins of any division.

That was like 8 years ago though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

If you would take Alex Smith over Paxton Lynch you deserve to have your team folded

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Deceptive posted:

I made a lovely edit of the Dean image out of this.

heh

Nov 6, 2002

Regional hack Bob Kravitz demanded Griff Whalen come clean and apologize before McAfee explained what really happened.

http://www.wthr.com/story/30300909/kravitz-say-it-griff-whalensay-it-it-was-my-fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

NC-17 posted:

I didn't know this thread was here so

That wouldn't have been worked because they were lined up in an illegal formation.

• Locked thread