Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I can't get over the soundtrack for this game, it is so much extremely my poo poo. Game is unpretentious and fun as hell too. I think I played it for about three hours last night and had a blast.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with the little fighters? I'm still in the starter corvette and they're doing surprising amounts of damage. I tried the flak guns, but apparently they just fire to the sides without aiming. My turrets do a decent job I guess, but I'm starting to get hit with bunches at a time and it hurts.

I do ok with the MkI/II Flak secondaries. Just lay on the shift key when fighters are around and keep your speed up (not hard) so that you fly by them and pepper them with flak all the time, and they go down without too much effort. I also had at least 1 scatter turret mounted at all times (on a topside slot, for the best coverage) and set it from "Any enemies" to "only fighters" via the Tactics menu if the ratio of fighters/gunships-to-larger ships was higher than usual. Later on once I bought the next tiered ship I added a swarm launcher and set that to fighters only all the time. It'll run out of ammo eventually but usually I was in the mopping up stages by that point and wasn't in much danger.

The really nice thing about the Flak secondaries -- they are a straight up missile killer, a la Galactica. Most missiles won't ever hit you if you keep the flak going and keep maneuvering.

e: also worth nothing that wasn't obvious to me immediately--you can also manually target missiles, either with broadsides (difficult), or better, by hitting one of the number keys to switch to one of your turrets, hopefully a scatter turret. Missiles basically die as soon as they take damage and with bigger ships that fire the slower moving torpedo-like ones that do fuckoff damage, its basically required as it makes it much safer to take them on.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a reason to ever not just hold down the secondary button and fire constantly?

For missile turrets, how does ammo work? Do you have to buy more ordnance the same way you have to buy ordnance for your secondary heat seekers?

You'll run out eventually but there are ordnance drops occasionally (maybe from enemies primarily armed with them, e.g. bombers/missile corvettes? idk). Needs a tractor beam natch, but that should be on your ship always past a certain point in the story when you're required to get one anyway.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Requoting myself because this might get missed at the end of the last page and I slapped my forehead at how long it took me to realize it.

HiroProtagonist posted:

The really nice thing about the Flak secondaries -- they are a straight up missile killer, a la Galactica. Most missiles won't ever hit you if you keep the flak going and keep maneuvering.

e: also worth nothing that wasn't obvious to me immediately--you can also manually target missiles, either with broadsides (difficult), or better, by hitting one of the number keys to switch to one of your turrets, hopefully a scatter turret. Missiles basically die as soon as they take damage and with bigger ships that fire the slower moving torpedo-like ones that do fuckoff damage, its basically required as it makes it much safer to take them on.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrancoFish posted:

Make folders for each category (combat, ambient, etc) and point the game at said folders. Point the combat category at a folder for instance and it will randomly play any tracks in that folder when combat starts.

You can also add tracks to the existing folders to leave the original music in rotation, right?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bogart posted:

Thinkin' about hooking up the Fallout New Vegas soundtrack to this.

It was early in the morning when he rode into the town
He came riding from the south side, slowly looking all around
"He's an outlaw loose and running" came the whisper from each lip
"And he's here to do some business with the big iron on his hip"
Big iron on his hip

It's my firm opinion that very little could be not made better by some Marty Robbins, at the very least.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Another music suggestion (combat, naturally)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VsvZmIWxY

also this playlist has about 107 tracks worth of choice picks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Nr4ix8RBo&list=PLODY4JbfZDrHk5LQgXDJOdCTmU6BNCpLw

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It increases accuracy, and damage in the more shots connect. Even close up and spamming away you will still miss shots.

Unless you take a frigate up against a dreadnaught or cruiser. :getin:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

5er posted:

Also, references to The Room at this point are pretty thoroughly played out... but I still laugh every time a distressed captain yells it out moments before my last broadside volley destroys them.

I named my ship Lisa just because of this.

Also why is there no Tommy Wiseau smiley? In this day and age?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Flak doesn't seem to touch mines which is actually really annoying

No, but broadsides do (or turrets, if you find that too awkward). I usually just ignore mines unless there's no other threats around. They don't do much but slow you down a bit and a mediocre amount of damage (to shields), unless your shields are down or something.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's dogfighting at basically any point in the higher level systems. It makes blockade running... fun. Sorta. Not really.

Never Not Ram.

wait, i never thought about this, but does abusing the deflector while running full speed through a minefield prevent engines from getting impaired from mines, as well as the damage?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm in loving :swoon: with the Barracuda. I can take on much more powerful enemies with just how loving fast that thing can go (+10% engine speed from the AI, and the slow-burn boosters that I just mash on) and a Shieldbuster turret, which I set to target locked enemies only to keep from wasting ammo.

I just turn and burn through the entire battlespace, shooting off flak the whole time, while my 3 beams and 1 pulse turret handle all the light craft as I'm firing broadsides at the larger ones. I'm completely safe from missiles, since whichever ones can even catch me and make it past a spray of flak (generally only those fired from the front aspect) get soaked by my Field Grade Shields. If I'm misremembering the name, it's the high-cap ones with the slow recharge time. Slow recharge isn't a big deal since I never even get close to taking enough hits on a single facing to make it an issue. All I need to do is make another really fast turn and a fresh facing is taking hits instead.

This ship is straight up money, and I think i'm going to hold on to it for a while.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Been meaning to update this thread with music I've heard that'd be perfect for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rInmvUKYeKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8aNK3XMP5w

cant remember if I posted this here already or not but whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYyPcEQKU4
actually anything from Dorothy is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3ArjPSBoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbLPYPbi1U

there are more that I can't think of right now but these are solid picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007