Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fighters are totally 3d, but you don't fly them, you launch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The beam broadsides are fantastic. Just let your turrets drop a shield facing and wham. I like to carry a swarm missile turret set to fighters only too.

Soothing Vapors posted:

can i join a pirate group and kill spacecops

There are militia hit missions, yeah. You can boost your standings with the pirates by doing them, but then you have the cops angry at you and they're both heavily armed and present at stations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The trading is really vestigial. There's mining and commodity price fluctuation and ships with large holds, but the meat of the game is the combat and you'll probably regret bringing a merchant hull to the real missions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

What's up with the distance measures in this game? A ship close enough to touch is like 1 sm away but a planet across the solar system is only like 7000 away.

They're space meters. Just like there's space slaves, obtanium, and intellectual property by the ton.

Don't worry about it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Brackhar posted:

So somehow super early on I angered the Miltia, and things kept getting worse withg my turrets automatically firing on their fighters. Now they're completely surrounding a station I need to get to to move the mainline quest along, making it not possible for me to progress. Are there any options available to me to make the militia simmer down early on, or do I need to restart?

Pick up mission board jobs that will increase their opinion of you? The early plot missions should give you plenty of rep with them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

And the rare alien lasers are even better. They have 100% shield damage compared to 25% on normal lasers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yaos posted:

I've made it to the second system and it seems that more missions types and random encounters have appeared. I was forcibly dropped out of warp in a random encounter, and there was a mission that had about a billion fighters that all blew me up with their missiles even though the risk was low. :argh:

If it was a Korian Swarm, they tell you to prepare for lots and lots of fighters.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Bogart posted:

This game is so good. (How do I mine asteroids?)

Pulse scan, then shoot the marked ones. Shoot with mining lasers to get more stuff, shot with mining lasers at a fault line marked by a special upgrade to get even more.

Faults look like glowing red circles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is it incredibly good in the first system, or the second as well? I've been wondering about that ship, but the thought of having to pay for seven individual turret upgrades was just way too spooky for me.

You'll need ships with the bigger broadsides to punch through larger targets, but the 7 turret one with a good loadout will last you a while.

I like the mercenary guild ships the most. They're decently heavy but faster than other hulls of the same size.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

I'm in second system and have yet to find anything but trade loot from drops wth

Weapons only come out of cargo crates, rare weapons come out of special crates.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I have seen exactly one crate with a viridian laser in it and only by accident. So, yeah.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Merc Guild ships are great because you're always in their rear arc all the time and their broadsides can never hit you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

MShadowy posted:

Hmmm... already came across them all it seems. Dang. Well, guess I'll be sticking with my little Hellion for a while then; hopefully it'll hold up well enough to last me; if I switch to anything else I might experiment with the Minotaur, but I like smaller more meneuverable craft in general.

Get a Sturville on the way to a Minotaur. The Sturville is as strong as a mid-tier ship but really really nimble.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The mercenary guild is the bird icon on the map.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

When you pay a merc you lose the money, they stick around until they eject or you fire them to hire a new one, and you have to go rehire them if you want them back. More expensive mercs are always better.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A number of independent stations have criminal economies, but I don't really know if that's what makes the alien weapons appear. As far as I know, they only come out of crates.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lasers are the best anti fighter weapon. Once you hit dreadnoughts, it's four lasers set to fighters and the rest all pulse all the time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Are you guys that have fighter issues targeting with your broadsides? The beam cannon broadside is a 100% one shot of any fighter if you let it lock all the way in to 100% charged/aimed. With the long duration boosters you can just out run anything and obliterate one small craft every shot.

Even half aiming at least one of the beams will hit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I used a 1 laser to 3 pulse turret ratio, with the lasers set to engage fighters, and it worked really well. Just use the pulses to augment whatever broadsides you're using.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Yep, found that feature out today. They also seem to reliably hit fighters and bombers when aimed.

Even when only aimed for a short time, at least one of the beams will burn through the fighter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Always get out of sector 1 as quick as you can. Higher level missions give far higher rewards for a slight increase in danger. Running the merc questline will get you halfway to faction rank 5 and that sweet sweet minotaur action.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You can immediately buy a Sturville at the end of the merc quest line, and it is one of the best ships in the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gilg posted:

Just started playing this game this weekend and I'm enjoying it. I'm still in the first sector, does it make sense to run missions for the purpose of raising reputation with factions now, or should it wait until later in the game?

Depends on the reward, but it's best to get out of the starting sector as quick as you can. The rep rewards are in the 20s a few sectors in, and the merc questline will get you enough for the first merc ship.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, your actual 'power level' is almost solely coming from the gear on your ship, not the ship itself. Moving up to bigger ships gets you more turrets/broadsides/secondary port (and I think marginally more hull, but you never want to be relying on hull) but tends to come with the compromise of being a larger/more sluggish target.

I'm pretty sure you could finish the game in the starter ship as long as you had mk6 gear.

Only to a point. The endgame is just going to need a dreadnought, otherwise you can't burn through the shields of really ships.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Sioux posted:

I just started this game a few days ago on PS4. What ship should I upgrade to? I want some more turrets and cargo space. If you are still low on space dollars, what's the best option? I'm looking at the Tennhausen since it seems good and it's almost within my space dollar range right now.

Also, I had a merc disappear on me. Did it die or do they leave after a certain amount of space time?

Mercs never leave, it died. Also, move to higher level sectors as quickly as possible, since rewards grow exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The Icarus is like the starting ship but slightly better in every way. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and then something I can't remember. By then you'll know what you like. I pretty much prioritized speed over everything so the Tennhausen wasn't my favorite compared to the corvettes.

Seconding the Sturville and Merc ships in general. The mercenary questline will give you enough reputation to buy some of their ships and it's easy to get enough for the rest.

• Locked thread