Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Nothing in the game is very hard, you can just boost out of range of anything and pick it off at your leisure, just don't buy the slower brick ships until you have maxed out your gear. (The Arcturus? The triangle quasi star destroyer DD is a trap)

It's actually fine, you need the maneuvering booster but when you're buying a million+ credit hull that's a reasonable expenditure. Like any larger slower ship it relies on null grav boosters for its combat speed. The trap ship is the Scarab, slow and expensive to meaningfully upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

I don't like the scarab much, but all those 2nd level ships (tennhausen, scarab, dravius) are flawed in some way. Load a scarab up with mining beams and it makes an ok bridge to the barracuda or sturville. I personally like the dravius a lot more, but that one can result in a mission difficulty spike cause it's a heavy hull.

My call out for "trap ship" is the vanguard: it looks cool and the stat line seems good on paper, but has some big liabilities that make it a pain to use. It needed to be way less expensive, down near 1m rather than the almost 1.4m it costs. It's not that much cheaper than the low-end destroyers, but it doesn't get the range bonus that makes big ships so much better.

Full disclosure, I've never used the vanguard. I imagine it could be alright as I've had a lot of success in both the Manticore and the McKinley in high end sectors and both those ships have pretty large flaws (the Manticore does not receive a range bonus). But the Scarab is a terrible bridge ship as it needs a lot of good turrets to do much with the weakest broadsides in the game, making it super expensive. Keeping a Scarab up to date costs as much as switching to a Sturville as early as your first jump. I would say the Tennhausen has a role because it's extremely cheap for what it offers; with a six gun broadside it's much more of a bridge ship to either a low end destroyer or a high end frigate. I would group it with the Hellion as the kind of ship you might look to get after a Mastadon or Icarus.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

So I'll agree that it's potentially awkward transition for someone who hasn't figured out the financial mechanics, but the turret thing is not as bad as you think. The way the balancing in the game works, downgrading a turret to buy 2 of the lower level is a net gain. The power and cost for each level is a very simple +150%/+300% formula that is favorable to trading in 4 mk3 turrets for 7 mk2s.

Broadsides do give you a lot more bang for the buck so from a :spergin: perspective the Scarab isn't optimal. But it's only a "trap" if you buy it with zero cash to spare or have some weird resistance to selling equipment. In actual gameplay it works fine.

And you can't switch to a sturville early, cause that involves a lot more than just money. Step one of getting a sturville is getting a good combat ship to handle the merc missions needed to unlock it, which is a tennhauser at minimum and more likely a scarab/dravius/barracuda.

The Tennhausen is a better combat ship than the Scarab. It's faster, it's got 4 well placed turrets instead of 3 well placed turrets and 4 badly placed ones, and it has twice as many broadside ports. The Scarab almost always is a net loss in performance over the Tennhausen or Hellion. The problem with the Scarab is while it has 7 turrets, unless you are approaching head on only 5 of them can fire on your target. Other ships bring more combat power for cheaper and are not saddled with the burden of being the slowest frigate in the game for the privilege. And the turret thing is just as bad as I think, I took a Scarab into sector 2 and had to switch all my centerline turrets to fire only on locked targets because even with MK 3 equipment they were struggling to bring down shields unless I had 5+ turrets concentrating fire.

I'm not discussing optimal, the game is easy enough that you can probably beat it in a Scarab. With that said the Scarab is a net downgrade from cheaper hulls and needs more money to be kept up to date than almost all the other frigates. I played it extensively so this is an "in actual gameplay" opinion. Also weapons are absolutely not a x1.5 effectiveness for x3 cost, most of them get some more than just a bit more damage for upgrading. Scatter turrets get reload speed, mining lasers get range, pulse turrets get projectile speed, ion turrets get a higher multiplier versus shields. Some of these are negligible, but keeping your mining lasers up to date makes a huge difference for example.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, your actual 'power level' is almost solely coming from the gear on your ship, not the ship itself. Moving up to bigger ships gets you more turrets/broadsides/secondary port (and I think marginally more hull, but you never want to be relying on hull) but tends to come with the compromise of being a larger/more sluggish target.

I'm pretty sure you could finish the game in the starter ship as long as you had mk6 gear.

Bigger ships also get longer range on broadsides, and the devs have said that they get more powerful shields. I personally have never noticed the shields.

zedprime posted:

The way scaling works you're never that far out of depth in a corvette if that's really where you want to be. You'll probably want a shield buster to not tear your hair out from boredom. The secret is bigger ships don't have any better shields than smaller ships.

Dreadnoughts are the definition of overkill.

This is the secret to making any ship scale well, get a shieldbuster and a leech missile and you're golden in a Frigate.

• Locked thread