Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

My good friend my dog boyfriend!! and I are going to LP the Avengers of lovely licensed games: Nicktoons United! In this game SpongeBob, Danny Phantom, Timmy Turner, and Jimmy Neutron must team up to save the multiverse. Like the Avengers, each member has their specialty: SpongeBob uses karate, Timmy basically transformed his fairies into a rifle, Danny Phantom punches people (which is totally different than what SpongeBob does), and Jimmy has turned a hairdryer into a shotgun-like weapon. Together they travel through each other’s dimensions and defeat baddies as a team.

But we won’t just be doing Nicktoons United. I’m planning on releasing a series of bonus episodes. In these bonus episodes, we will look at janky licensed games that are at least tangentially related to our childhood. We may also do Let’s Watches of silly cartoons or whatever else I think might be funny. Feel free to suggest janky games from this era.

Videos:

Bonus: NONE YET

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

It's processing now. Sorry for the delay. I'm a dumbo.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 21, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This is a weird game with Danny being the odd one out in this.

Turner and Neutron (I'm going to refer to Timmy and Jimmy by last name to avoid getting them mixed up) have crossed paths before as indicated by Jimmy calling Cosmo and Wanda as holograms, an obvious call-back to those crossovers, and both them and SpongeBob have had home console games prier to this one but Danny's only had two solo games and both were on portable systems.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
In the continuing spirit of terrible licensed video games, I nominate literally anything off this list although I'm going to tell you right now I call dibs on the Shrek Swamp Kart Speedway

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There were four of these.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I should probably point out that Danny's Ghost Shield is actually a known Ghost power in Danny Phantom. Not only are Danny and Vlad able to use it in the series but another ghost was able to do it as well and even several human characters were able to generate Ghost Shields using technological means.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

I should probably point out that Danny's Ghost Shield is actually a known Ghost power in Danny Phantom. Not only are Danny and Vlad able to use it in the series but another ghost was able to do it as well and even several human characters were able to generate Ghost Shields using technological means.

Which, like I said, just seems like slavery after death. Like my life loving sucks enough, I died, I didn't get into heaven, my soul wanders the earth eternal knowing no respite nor solace, and now I have to take punches for some teenager in spandex. That's some real bullshit.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

my dog boyfriend!! posted:

Which, like I said, just seems like slavery after death. Like my life loving sucks enough, I died, I didn't get into heaven, my soul wanders the earth eternal knowing no respite nor solace, and now I have to take punches for some teenager in spandex. That's some real bullshit.

Except that like all the Ghost powers Danny uses, it's powered by his own ectoplasmic energy as a half-ghost not enslaved ghosts like you seem to believe.

Same with Vlad and other ghost, Technus. For the artificial Ghost Shield generators, they presumably found a way to generate the ectoplasmic energy artificially.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 21, 2015

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

Except that like all the Ghost powers Danny uses, it's powered by his own ectoplasmic energy as a half-ghost not enslaved ghosts like you seem to believe.

I didn't do my homework before signing on as a commentator for this LP :(

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
Also I don't know how the hell neither of us noticed it when we recorded--Bikini Bottom has become a totalitarian state and citizens are being sucked up and ???????? by tanks before his very eyes and all Spongebob can think about is his loving job

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Basically ghosts are Green Lanterns.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Also I don't know how the hell neither of us noticed it when we recorded--Bikini Bottom has become a totalitarian state and citizens are being sucked up and ???????? by tanks before his very eyes and all Spongebob can think about is his loving job

He thinks about his job and then specifically the Krabby Patty formula. SpongeBob is Hank Hill but with burgers instead of propane and randian libertariaism instead of staunch conservatism.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Basically ghosts are Green Lanterns.

Now I'm at a crossroads in my life where I can either choose to read a Green Lantern wiki page or a Danny Phantom wiki page. Mama said there'd be days like this :sigh:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

That's fine, it's been years since the show ended so I don't you to remember this stuff. That's why I and other goons will try to correct any mistakes made during the LP.

And I'd say more like super beings in general given the range of powers that were demonstrated on the show but obviously that would include the Lantern Corps.

And SpongeBob is well established as being an idiot with extreme tunnel vision.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 21, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

That's fine, it's been years since the show ended so I don't you to remember this stuff. That's why I and other goons will try to correct any mistakes made during the LP.

And I'd say more like super beings in general given the range of powers that were demonstrated on the show but the Lantern Corps would definitely be included here.

And SpongeBob is well established as being an idiot with extreme tunnel vision.

Okay but if you can't tell by the tone we try to set in the first episode, this is meant as a very casual Let's Play where we share our half-memories of old tv shows. Being Nicktoon canon is not a priority.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember watching these cartoons when I was younger. I liked Fairly Oddparents, but was confused on why they decided to crossover with Jimmy Neutron. If anything, Danny Phantom would have been a better show to crossover with. Speaking of; Danny Phantom was a pretty cool cartoon that I regularly watched. The last new episode I remember watching was Urban Jungle, which left me totally confused since 1) when did Danny have ice powers and 2) who were these characters that the main cast knew, but the audience knew nothing about? It also didn't help that there was a really long gap between seasons 2 and 3. And Spongebob... was there too.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember watching these cartoons when I was younger. I liked Fairly Oddparents, but was confused on why they decided to crossover with Jimmy Neutron. If anything, Danny Phantom would have been a better show to crossover with. Speaking of; Danny Phantom was a pretty cool cartoon that I regularly watched. The last new episode I remember watching was Urban Jungle, which left me totally confused since 1) when did Danny have ice powers and 2) who were these characters that the main cast knew, but the audience knew nothing about? It also didn't help that there was a really long gap between seasons 2 and 3. And Spongebob... was there too.

The ice powers were presumably always there, Danny just wasn't aware that he had them until that point though his Ghost Sense was meant to be foreshadowing for this.

Frostbite himself first appeared in the episode Infinite Realms in which Danny, Sam, & Tucker crash into his icy domain. He initially attacks them do to an icicle being embedded in his fur causing him a great deal of pain until Danny removes it. Danny remains on good terms with Frostbite and his people, who honor Danny as the Savior of the Ghost Zone do to him defeating Pariah Dark prior to this episode.

The episode ends with another hint of Danny's ice powers when Frostbite tells another Far Frozen, the name of Frostbite's people, that Danny will return stating that "He has more in common with us than he realizes." having sensed that Danny was capable of generating cold, something he would tell Danny when they meet again during Urban Jungle.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The weird thing is that Nick showed Urban Jungle (sixth episode of season 3) in October of 2006 and then later aired the episode you described (episode 2) and the rest of season 3 9. MONTHS. LATER. (July and August of 2007). I would eventually learn about season 3 after the show had ended and read summaries of the episodes that I didn't watch.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

The weird thing is that Nick showed Urban Jungle (sixth episode of season 3) in October of 2006 and then later aired the episode you described (episode 2) and the rest of season 3 9. MONTHS. LATER. (July and August of 2007). I would eventually learn about season 3 after the show had ended and read summaries of the episodes that I didn't watch.

Yeah, Nick has a habit of airing episodes out of order. They also did this which Power Rangers Samurai much to the frustration of Linkara who has been doing a History of Power Rangers respective for a couple years now with Samurai being the most recent season he's covered at this time.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 30, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What frustrates me about Nick's treatment of Danny Phantom is that it seems like it had the episodes ready to air, but instead chose to sit on it until a year later.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Hey, I just wanted to apologize for the delay. Late next week we'll upload more and have enough of a backlog to have a consistent schedule for videos.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I hope you're doing okay, ThatPazuzu.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
In hindsight, Nickelodeon has had a horrible track record with all of its properties. Anything that was any good or with any critical acclaim, no matter how early into the channel's run it started, either dies during its first few seasons (Doug, Angry Beavers, El Tigre), has its final season chopped to bits and aired over several years instead of just having the decency to cancel it wholesale (Invader Zim, Danny Phantom) or goes on way way WAYYYY too long to the point where all merit is gone (Spongebob, Rugrats).
tl;dr Nickelodeon a poo poo, don't try to produce a show with them, aspiring animators

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Cartoon Network isn't much better about that since they have an equally lovely track record with their past properties.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Is there a network with programming for children that doesn't have a crappy record with their properties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pendleton Ward first went to Nickelodeon with Adventure Time and they turned him down :lol:

• Locked thread