Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Personally I think there's some systemic problems in the white community which they just aren't taking responsibility for. White-on-white crime is rampant, and far too many young bright white youths end up dying before their times in public shootings.

But until whites take some responsibility for the state of their culture I'm not sure if we can do anything.

There is the issue of incarceration of blacks versus whites: Whites tend to get lighter sentencing for much more major crimes versus blacks getting harsh sentencing for minor crimes.

And etc.

I wonder how guns could solve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

No, pretty much regardless of which way you look at that chart, more often than not Whites are the majority offenders.

Look at the first 2 lines. ~2,700 murders committed by whites, ~2,600 by blacks.

If the white/black population was the same, this would make sense. However, blacks make up 13% of the population, whites ~60%.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

There is the issue of incarceration of blacks versus whites: Whites tend to get lighter sentencing for much more major crimes versus blacks getting harsh sentencing for minor crimes.

And etc.

I gather a selective and targeted campaign of violence would solve the problem, as long as it was defensive in nature. I mean surely it would work, right?

Wasn't one of those Oath Keeper guys in Ferguson blowing off from the main org because he actually did walk his talk, and wanted to hook up the Ferguson locals with iron and shooting practice?

tumblr.txt posted:

Look at the first 2 lines. ~2,700 murders committed by whites, ~2,600 by blacks.

If the white/black population was the same, this would make sense. However, blacks make up 13% of the population, whites ~60%.
So please do spell out your proposal here

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tumblr.txt posted:

I wonder how whites got to that 60%?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Nessus posted:

So please do spell out your proposal here

Instead of gun control laws that will cost a ton to enforce, the money would be better spent researching ways to help troubled young black men not commit murder?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tumblr.txt posted:

Instead of gun control laws that will cost a ton to enforce, the money would be better spent researching ways to help troubled young black men not commit murder?

What about troubled racist white men

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tumblr.txt posted:

Are there not LOCAL POLICE FORCES? Are there not PRIVATIZED PRISONS?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Let's see:

5th Amendment: 34 to 37 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 [2]

In the US the 4th is not the end all, do all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrantless_searches_in_the_United_States

There's a difference between the 4A being the end all do all versus randomly as a matter of policy searching the houses of anyone who owns guns. Sorry, your false equivalency doesn't fly and you're still anti-civil rights, even if guns don't count.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Australian race-realist, confident that the scourge of the Asian has been defeated, turns his steely eye to America...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

There's a difference between the 4A being the end all do all versus randomly as a matter of policy searching the houses of anyone who owns guns. Sorry, your false equivalency doesn't fly and you're still anti-civil rights, even if guns don't count.

I dunno why tedious jurisprudence guy doesn't correct this mistaken understanding of the Fourth Amendment, even prior to the conservative assault on civil liberties.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

What about troubled racist white men
According to the DoJ one commits murders at 8x the rate of the other, so given a finite amount of resources, it seems like trying to help troubled black males would have a much better effect on the overall homicide rate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well thank goodness Conservatives are on the side of chipping away at the 4th. I'll be in good company.

Seriously, you can't go accusing others of hating on Civil rights without staring into the abyss that is the Conservative movement.

AKA: gently caress You, Got Mine.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 25, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Well thank goodness Conservatives are on the side of chipping away at the 4th. I'll be in good company.

Seriously, you can't go accusing others of hating on Civil rights without staring into the abyss that is the Conservative movement.

Nah, the rule is that you can't associate any of them with the poo poo the Republican party does, while they of course have free season to go "Well even if you've spent these three hours discussing a topic with me at length, Diane Feinstein said something ignorant so none of that counts, and also, I win." However, the teabagging afterwards is NOT mandatory... merely encouraged!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://youtu.be/I1wg1DNHbNU

Lol @ gun maniacs suggesting they'd ever support increased funding for mental health services or at-risk "urban" youth.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 25, 2015

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is hella dumb, since you were asking about how we balance rights against regulation, like the idea of the bill of rights sprang fully formed from the void in the 21st century. We do it by favoring not restricting rights without a good reason, and aiming for the lest restriction possible, something you seem to continually not get. "I bet I could come up with something the Supreme Court won't overturn" isn't a justification of policy.
But, Dead Reckoning, the good reason is exposed in the post you quoted! It is to reduce gun deaths! There are mounds of evidence that the ubiquity of guns is responsible for many deaths.
And what I am proposing is, for the purpose of severely curtailing gun deaths, the least possible restriction that would be efficient. Because all the pseudo-solutions progun posters come up with would either a) do nothing or b) make the situation worse. Whereas if we look at the bare bones of what I suggest, it changes almost nothing: it merely deepens background checks and registers all guns. But in an efficient way, and a way that is enforceable.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the problem: your analogy in this case doesn't match your proposed policy. We already bar people who have a documented history of misusing guns from owning them. You don't feel that this retrospective system is sufficient, and want to try to determine in advance who might misuse a gun through subjective judgements. ("Gun owners should have to pass a psychological exam.")
I wasn't the one making the analogy in the first place. DeuxExMachinima made a pretty silly post about how alcohol and acces to alcohol wasn't really regulated. Turns out that it is. Moreso than guns, even, in many states!

LeJackal posted:

Should I be curious why?
In this day and age hunting is absolutely superfluous and it is largely placing personal entertainment over the life of sentient beings.

LeJackal posted:

In general, however, I'd be looking for a gun that is accurate, reliable, and powerful.
The same gun that I use to take a deer from my treestand is essentially the same gun that a military or police sniper uses - there is no functional difference.
Yes, but I don't care that they can be used by the police or the military. If they are designed in such a way that they would be suitable for hunting, then they'd be fair game.

LeJackal posted:

If you can't articulate a meaningful technical distinction with some consistent basis, an arbitrary determination does not represent a meaningfully constructed law that relates in a concrete way to a stated policy goal or the furtherance of societal benefit.
But under this line of reasoning, categories are meaningless. The difference between small arms and light weapons is arbitrary, for example. The minimal length of a long gun is arbitrarily defined as well. Should we give up such meaningless categorizations?
Truth be told, adhering to strict and non-arbitrary technical requirements is a total red herring. The purpose for which a gun may be bought is absolutely legitimate as the basis for forming a category that would be more or less restricted. If it is shown that guns of a certain type are those that are the most appropriate for hunters, then these could be classified as "hunting guns". It is for hunters to suggest which type of guns this could mean.

LeJackal posted:

No, please explain and answer the question. I'm curious.
Guns that would be too cumbersome for effective self-defense, or whose lethality would be disproportionate for the purpose of self-defense. Also guns that might pose too much of a risk of collateral damage. I'm not going to make a list or give specific technical details because as I said, this is a distraction.

LeJackal posted:

I do not share your opinion that firearms are some sort of violence fetish. Crime, and the dangers associated with it, all derive from human motivation. A gun does not whisper in the night, infecting the owner's mind with violent madness. Socioeconomic factors drive the violence, whether it be committed with a machete, a Glock, or a rock.
Reread what I have written. Reread the links I have posted. All the stuff that shows that without any doubt, the ubiquity of guns contributes to elevated death rates. It is not a magical power. It is their very real power to give someone with motivation the means to achieve what they want, to a much higher degree than a machete or a rock. You are being disingenuous. And you're not adressing most of the points I make in that paragraph. For some reason.

LeJackal posted:

I just don't believe you've considered the full logistical concerns of attempting a nation-wide registry. [ur;="http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-safe-act-weapons-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730"] It's not working on a state level.[/url] The Canadians canned there after they grossly underestimated the costs, and were oversold on its benefits.
If the federal government actually commited itself to the task, actually enforced and advertized the law, and enlisted the help of gun-related private actors (gun ranges, gun shops, people who repair guns, etc.) by mandating that all private guns used there should be licensed, then the results would probably be much better. The problem with the United States is that often, their public programmes are not provided with the necessary means to be really effective, and once a law is passed, there is little control over its application.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

tumblr.txt posted:

Once systemic racism is solved and America enters a post-scarcity economy where everyone is not-poor and has access to health and mental care, then I think gun laws should be relaxed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bernie is the best choice for gun lovers. All of his positions are literally as good as it gets in US political discourse except for Israel, alternative medicine and guns. On Israel, he's sane enough; he makes only the most nominal pandering gestures to Israel's need for "security." On alternative medicine, who cares. On guns, who cares; but also, again note how little he panders. "I voted for the assault weapons ban." Does he care about trying to pass another assault weapons ban? No, because he knows assault weapons bans are stupid and pointless, anger the poor rural voters who need to understand his platform the most, and truly have no measurable positive effect, especially when placed in context alongside the issue that is his life's work, inequality. And imagine how gladly he'd sign laws strengthening gun rights, in exchange for productive work with moderate Republicans on other issues.

Vote Bernie, knowing your guns will be safe.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

lemme just bend over backwards for you, forums poster lejackal, who has yet to argue in good faith itt

How about doing it for me then, sweetie? Or is everyone who chooses to call out your bullshit suffering from "bad faith"?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's important we elect a president who will keep America safe for maniacs who want an arsenal large enough to take out 500 kindergarteners a minute, because under Obama. . .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

It's important we elect a president who will keep America safe for maniacs who want an arsenal large enough to take out 500 kindergarteners a minute, because under Obama. . .
That's kind of a long way to say "Real Americans," sir

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

hmmmmm this guy is in no way implying that gun owners would resist by shooting gun grabbers, and that this would be okay, you're right, forums poster lejackal

He never implied that it was ok. He was simply stating what would go down, and that hunting rifles are actually much more useful for sniping than military semi autos. Perhaps you should read more slowly and use your reasoning skills.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Cartouche posted:

He never implied that it was ok. He was simply stating what would go down, and that hunting rifles are actually much more useful for sniping than military semi autos. Perhaps you should read more slowly and use your reasoning skills.

Hmm.
A hypothetical: what would you, forums poster Cartouche, do if a law was passed confiscating your guns? What would you do if the federal agent in charge of securing the guns you own came to your door?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
In Australia, the local hardware stores had shortages of PVC pipe.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Bernie is the best choice for gun lovers. All of his positions are literally as good as it gets in US political discourse except for Israel, alternative medicine and guns. On Israel, he's sane enough; he makes only the most nominal pandering gestures to Israel's need for "security." On alternative medicine, who cares. On guns, who cares; but also, again note how little he panders. "I voted for the assault weapons ban." Does he care about trying to pass another assault weapons ban? No, because he knows assault weapons bans are stupid and pointless, anger the poor rural voters who need to understand his platform the most, and truly have no measurable positive effect, especially when placed in context alongside the issue that is his life's work, inequality. And imagine how gladly he'd sign laws strengthening gun rights, in exchange for productive work with moderate Republicans on other issues.

Vote Bernie, knowing your guns will be safe.

I could actually see Bernie doing more in depth research on a new feature ban if it came up, which is more than i'd imagine Hillary or Trump doing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hmm.
A hypothetical: what would you, forums poster Cartouche, do if a law was passed confiscating your guns? What would you do if the federal agent in charge of securing the guns you own came to your door?

Imaginary play land time where you get enough left leaning federal agents to try to confiscate guns.

Shoot them in their unicorn horns obviously.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cartouche posted:

He never implied that it was ok. He was simply stating what would go down

hmmm yes he's just shrugging and going #notallgunowners you're right

jesus christ you people are insufferable

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OATH KEEPERS

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm confused, I thought the federal cops were going to be occasionally murdered by the brave patriots folks who you just can't really help but expect would do anything but murder federal law enforcement officers, and this was going to be tacitly tolerated by state and local authorities. Now you're telling me the federal cops wouldn't enforce the law in the first place? Then what's the point of them getting shot up? That's just fratricide, the only message you're sending to The Man is that you really like shooting people and can't contain yourself!

Like are they going to poll the FBI for guys who don't mind getting shot to death to send a message to the federal government? Will that impact their pension planning? How does this even work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm just saying, all murders are due to black people. We should, uh, help them. Yeah.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
now look i'm not saying i'm condoning violently resisting the people who come to take your guns away

i'm just saying those pussy human being liberal feds will back down after a couple get shot

not that you should do that, but it seems liek doing that would allow you to keep doing what you want

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ozmiander posted:

I could actually see Bernie doing more in depth research on a new feature ban if it came up, which is more than i'd imagine Hillary or Trump doing.

It's strange to run across an issue where Hillary and Trump have the same level of knowledge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

now look i'm not saying i'm condoning violently resisting the people who come to take your guns away

i'm just saying those pussy human being liberal feds will back down after a couple get shot
But they aren't no-good effeminate shits, I thought, so they wouldn't enforce the law.

I mean if there would be nobody enforcing these laws due to a mixture of being opposed to them, and also being terrified of getting shot up by brave patriots, why are you worried about laws getting passed at all? Why would you care? They won't get enforced, thanks to the mixture of lawmen ignoring them and lawmen getting murdered for enforcing them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmbo https://www.facebook.com/jottogear/videos/966086016780015/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Touch pads aren't reliable. The only safe place to store a ready fire weapon is on your side, rarely do teachers teach from a seated desk. As for the threat of an unruly child getting access it's high time to invoke discipline in classrooms. If kids aren't in school to learn then put em fields picking fruit and send the illegals back to their homelands. Life in America is way too easy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Like if I'm understanding the scenario here:

After Emperor Obama passes the law confiscating everyone's guns, doubtless signing it in the blood of an aborted fetus, it won't matter because most states will just ignore the law.

And also, federal agents will not enforce the law, even if they're instructed to do so by their superiors.

However, if some do, they will be shot - perhaps as many as thirty times - and state and local authorities will completely ignore the matter, and be OK with this. (I am unclear if follow-up investigations into Agent Cooper's murder will also lead to Agents York and Mulder being killed or if those would be considered separate and not related to gun confiscations.)

Any attempt by escalation (say, drone striking the compound where they murdered all those federal agents) by Imperator Obama would lead to him being forcibly deposed.

So what are y'all so worried about? It seems like no matter what, you come out on top, and in any of these inevitable scenarios, a clear and unambiguous message in support of arming up super hard is transmitted. After all, this scenario might lead to the forcible deposing of a sitting president!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Imaginary play land time where you get enough left leaning federal agents to try to confiscate guns.

Shoot them in their unicorn horns obviously.

Hahaha, why was I expecting anything other than a deflection?

What would you do, LingcodKilla? Come on. Don't be shy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

In this day and age hunting is absolutely superfluous and it is largely placing personal entertainment over the life of sentient beings.

Actually hunting is an important part of conservation and wildlife management. In addition, many families and individuals still hunt as a means for survival, to actually have enough food.

(I'd ask if you're a vegetarian - are you placing flavor/convenience over the life of sentient beings?)

Yes, but I don't care that they can be used by the police or the military. If they are designed in such a way that they would be suitable for hunting, then they'd be fair game.

So just about every firearm is exempt from your proposals. Thats neato.

But under this line of reasoning, categories are meaningless. The difference between small arms and light weapons is arbitrary, for example. The minimal length of a long gun is arbitrarily defined as well.

No, there are a number of categories that are technically sound and distinct. Smoothbore versus rifled, categorization by their mechanism of action, caliber, open versus closed bolt, method of loading, and so on. These distinctions aren't arbitrary in the slightest.

Should we give up such meaningless categorizations?
Truth be told, adhering to strict and non-arbitrary technical requirements is a total red herring. The purpose for which a gun may be bought is absolutely legitimate as the basis for forming a category that would be more or less restricted. If it is shown that guns of a certain type are those that are the most appropriate for hunters, then these could be classified as "hunting guns". It is for hunters to suggest which type of guns this could mean.

I don't even understand this part.

Guns that would be too cumbersome for effective self-defense, or whose lethality would be disproportionate for the purpose of self-defense. Also guns that might pose too much of a risk of collateral damage. I'm not going to make a list or give specific technical details because as I said, this is a distraction.

Too cumbersome? By what standard? What is cumbersome? Overall length? Weight? What do you mean by disproportionate lethality?
This isn't a distraction at all - if you can't articulate your goals and thoughts, why even bring it up?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hahaha, why was I expecting anything other than a deflection?

What would you do, LingcodKilla? Come on. Don't be shy.

Why are you so creepy? Like seriously this is the sandbox but drat dude ... Of almost all the posters here you seem like the one most likely to be furiously jacking off over the deaths of others.

I've held people at gun point threatening my life. At no point afterward did I second guess myself on why didn't I take the shot so I could have a personal snuff porn spank bank.

Federal agents ain't stupid and any law would be locked up in the courts for decades. Like that's a better question to ask people in a hundred years or so.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And etc.

Could you cite your sources? Genuinely interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

lmao you're so butthurt that you got called on being anti-civil rights your best defense is "oh yeah well I'm only as bad as the Republicans!" I have no more condemnation for you, I can't top that. It's pretty cool that you think pro-gun = being pro-Bush 24/7 apparently. You're just weak as poo poo, go home.

Orrr stay and continue to rationalize random searches of peoples' homes. That works too.

• Locked thread