Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I do a lot of international travel for work and, after being iphone only since basically my last dumbphone, am going to take the plunge with android to try out Fi. What is the best going deal on the 6p? Just ordering it direct from Huwaei to save on tax? There don't seem to be any sales anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Out of curiosity, I just stuck my activated Fi sim card into my iPhone 5s and everything (texts, data, calls, imessage) appears to work perfectly both on and off a wifi network. What am I missing?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

withoutclass posted:

Tried switching to receiving SMS via Hangouts. Promptly started missing plain old SMS, welp.

Yeah I'm trying to force myself to adapt, but there is a lot of inconsistency and unfinished feelings in hangouts. I'm a recent iPhone switcher and so far im pretty unimpressed by what is supposed to be the android flagship.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Chaotic Flame posted:

Do I have a dud? My battery life isn't anything like that.

Dark priest has to be one of those guys that turns off everything the phone can do to maximize battery life. There is nothing magical about all this, I get about the same battery life as you and all the battery tests published online indicate that it's normal. Overall I'm a pretty heavy user and I get a full day out of a charge so I'm happy

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You should be getting 5-7hrs of screen time, depending on exactly what you are doing while the screen is on. I get that. the time remaining is an estimate based on your usage since last charge, so if you've only looked at the screen for an hour and a half in the last 17 hours then yeah its going to say you've got over a day left. If you've spent several hours looking at it ( I read all my news and books on my phone) in just 8 hours it is going to estimate a much lower remaining battery.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Just out of curiosity, was it required for the fast charging to have that little mini usb-c connector on the plug end of the charger or did they just decide to make a cable that cant be used in anyones car or hooked up to a computer or any other use case that a regular usb plug would have accommodated?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tots posted:

Is anyone else's compass absolute bullshit? Was getting really frustrated trying to do some city walking today.

I used it for the first time the other day, and yes it was basically useless. It would occasionally get on track then it would wander off again. It seems like if you hold it upright in front of you and walk around like that it works, but if you want to just reference it every once and a while, as soon as you drop it to your side or put it in your pocket you completely disorient it

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
So I've discovered a flaw in the way Fi functions. I travel internationally a lot for work and I'm starting to get lots of international charges show up on my bill despite always making sure I'm on wifi. Well, what is happening is Fi is "optimizing" my connection and determining (behind the scenes of course) that my wifi isnt good enough for a voice call and switching me over to Cellular without notifying me, which then starts racking up a bill at .20/min. So a call that started out as a free call back to the US on wifi can quickly become a $10 phone call without you even knowing it. Only workaround is to turn off your cell radio before making a call.

I've been messing with it a little and on wifi networks where I can make a full video/audio facetime call on my ipad without any hiccups, Goggle Fi is deciding its not good enough for voip, so I'd say its fair to say their algorithm needs some work.

I'll probably just be switching to whatsapp or something for voip calls until they majorly rework their system.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I can't tell for sure (your description isn't terribly clear) but I think you are running into the same issue I run in to when I travel internationally and try to make wifi calls with airplane mode on. It doesn't work, Fi simply won't allow it. It's basically an edge use case that they haven't properly addressed. I wanted to turn airplane mode on because Fi was deciding my wifi connection was not good enough for wifi calling (it is, I use it for video facetime no problem) and switching to cell towers without telling me (another big Fi flaw) and then running up a big bill. It sounds like it is reacting to turning off data in a similar manner

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Dude if your job actually requires data in as many places as possible in the US, you go Verizon, period. I went to Fi because I was spending about 2 weeks out of each month in random foreign countries and it was a basically loophole into tmobiles's unlimited 256k international data (I was getting away with paying $20 + $10 for 1gb domestic and using nonstop internet internationally), but I've switched jobs up to a mostly domestic, but still travelling a lot and a Verizon 12gb plan can't be touched by Fi domestically, either in cost or reliability.

Fi is a weird 'i don't leave the house much and always have wifi' nerd plan, or a very edge case of being out of US a whole lot and exploiting free international data.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Anyone who is no longer a Fi customer tried returning a 6p? Mine is shutting down around 20% on a regular basis. I ordered from google and had Fi originally, but I moved it to Verizon. Will google still provide tech support?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Got a pixel 128gb through online chat. They must really have a huge problem with these 6p's. guess they are trying to placate the masses and avoid a lawsuit. It has been a huge pain in the rear end using this buggy phone for the last 2 years, but I guess this is a pretty decent consolation prize.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Chaotic Flame posted:

Looks like I'm getting my 6P replaced with a 128GB Pixel XL but it might only be because my original 6P replacement was still under warranty. Now the question becomes do I just let it ride or trade it in towards a Pixel 2 XL.

If you trade it in for a vanilla pixel 2 then switch to T-Mobile, you actually get paid a small amount to upgrade. T-Mobile will pay you $325 to bring your pixel 2 + $410 trade-in with Google