Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, I wish I had noticed this service before I reloaded my T Mobile nerd plan. Guess I can uhhh, do some double phone shenanigans for a month? Whatever it's fine. Getting a Nexus 5x, if I never ran into issues on my 5 with just the 16GB model, I shouldn't need to move up to the 32GB right?

edit: Well, wait, I guess the 5x is actually having some serious problems now. Maybe I should just sit on it, 320 is tempting but maybe not if it's going to overheat and lag.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

What kind of serious problems? I am kind of in the Nexus and google fi G+ pages and I haven't seen a mass infusion of serious problems reported.

No nothing is stopping you from doing it, but as the two guys above will find out. When you run into a problem and you need support they will find out and they will gently caress you. If you're lucky they'll just ban you from ever using the service again and if you're unlucky they'll deactivate your account associated with Fi. If you're really unlucky they'll file a suit against you since you've violated the terms of service that you agreed to signing up for Project Fi. You might want to read over the TOS before you decide to give the finger to Google. They might take your finger but they have the ability to give you the fist.

The Nexus 5x overheats, lags, can't run it's own processors for longer than a few minutes, screens sometimes come tainted yellow, upside-down screen issues, I was all excited to get one last night because all the first reviews seemed positive, but I guess that's why a first review is pointless. It's just some goober excited to have a new phone and they'll describe how it looks and poo poo. At the very least, I've heard from several sources it definitely overheats and has input lag or touchscreen failure issues with games or other apps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just a heads up, I think the Project Fi discounts are over with now Ended at 10AM PST. Missed it by an hour, haha.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A phone holding a charge for more than one day is pretty crazy. I don't get battery complaints, as long as it last from morning to bed time, whatever, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My Nexus 5X screen has been cracked for a little while, I bought some clear screen protector thing thinking to just patch it up because gently caress it, screen still works but screen protector thing wants me to get the phone all wet and soapy, and then leave it alone for 8 hours to dry up so I'm just going to assume this is a bad idea what with the cracks and all. Last phone I cracked I used a strip of clear packing tape as a screen mender and it was great, so I'll probably just do that.

Today though, the battery seems to be behaving oddly. Still need to test it out some more, but if it's going to be dying or dead soon I am curious if it was good idea to just buy a refurbished Nexus 5X. Google Fi will only give me 35 bucks at best for my phone as is, and Pixel 2 is too rich for my blood. Moto X4 looks kind of like something bad happened to someone's Nexus (also no back finger?), and I'm hearing mixed poo poo about it -- but that's what you hear for everything I guess. Is the Nexus 5X so old at this point it'd be kind of foolish to buy a refurbished one for cheap? This phone is completely good for everything I do, which is about as basic as it gets. Texting, googling, directions, and reddit. All I really want is raw android and maybe also to use this exact same phone forever. I could get 2 refurb 5X for the price of a Moto X4 through google fi but I guess that's worthless if they just gonna have that bootloader thing some folks get or batteries just go crap with time.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 15, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, I'mma take this thing up for now and probably end up getting the X4 unless something else better and cheaper crosses my path. I'm really going to miss this thing. Perfect size, finger button in good spot, nice shape. You did me good 5X.

Blackchamber posted:

Is that a film screen protector as opposed to a tempered glass one? I remember buying those kits with the spray bottle and rubber squeegee. All the glass protectors Ive gotten have used some sort of adhesive that keeps the screen in place but allows you to remove it without any residue left behind. That would help.

As far as the battery goes, I would agree with everyone else and upgrade.

Film one, no squeegee or spray, I'm just supposed to make my own soapy water and use that to get it to adhere. It was 1 cent on amazon, so whatever. Didn't want to put tempered glass on cracked glass, but like I said, tape is my solution here.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 23, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Get the X4 and don't look back. Don't wait for that N5 to die in your hands.

I kept putting off doing this and now it has actually died in my hands. Can't even go through a factory reset without making GBS threads itself. I must reap what I've sown and my thigh will be lonely for a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Javid posted:

I've been almost 100% happy with my x4. Only issue is that the glass back is hilariously frictionless and it would migrate off the side of any surface I set it on that wasn't absolutely perfectly level, which was solved by putting it in a case.

I prefer to raw dog my phones, but the glass back thing in the description sounded like a hilariously bad design choice. I think I might have to buy a drat case for once.