Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Does anyone have Fi in NYC? I'm on contract with Sprint with a discount that has me paying $80 a month. I just got a Fi invite and I'm thinking of paying the ETF and making the jump but want to know if the coverage in NYC is good enough to make it worth doing.

I've been on Fi in NYC for a couple of weeks now and also came from Sprint. Works great, and should be equal to or better than Sprint service anywhere seeing as it's a combination of TMobile and Sprint. That said it seems like it spends most of its time on TMobile, which is for the best since Sprints 4g network is kind of wonky in Manhattan. I used to have serious issues with my old Droid charge and GS4 constantly switching between LTE and 3g on VZW and Sprint, respectively. It would decide that 1bar of an LTE tower was way better, switch networks, a pigeon would fly by and it would switch back, each time disconnecting you for 20 seconds. Fi has had none of that, although it's probably just a software thing with the modems.

I'm on WiFi at work/home but Fi works fine at the major subway stations (although those have WiFi anyway) and at the usual spots where you'd get moments of service via a vent in the ceiling or whatever, and everywhere on the street and in restaurants/bars. The one issue I've had is that if you're mid call and walk within range of a remembered WiFi network that requires web authentication or whatever (transit WiFi) you'll sometimes lose outgoing audio on the call as it tries to migrate to the WiFi. Which is fine because Sprint would have just disconnected anyway.

Caveat: I live and work in Manhattan and haven't left the island since I switched. Heading out to the suburbs for thanksgiving so we'll see how it works out there, but Sprint alone was fine so I don't see it being an issue. Overall Fi is the best mobile service I've had, and the cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Got my Fi holiday gift yesterday: legos and an extra USB A-C cable.

The recommended Lego phone stand design seems a little flimsy for something as big as the 6P. I don't think Google will break into the plastic block business anytime soon.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

I've averaged $32.50 over the past four months. WiFi at work and on the subway, so I really only use data when I'm out somewhere that has no hotspot.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

photomikey posted:

Can somebody walk me through what I'm missing?

It's been a while so I may be a bit off but:

1. On your phone open up hangouts and go to settings->account settings->scroll down to project Fi calls and SMS, enable the toggle for "Messages"

2. I'm not sure if existing texts will show up, but from now on any new SMS messages you send or receive will appear like any other hangouts convo in the gchat list at the bottom left corner of the desktop gmail site.

3. There should now be three buttons at the very bottom left corner of gmail: contacts, convos, and phone menu. To start a new SMS convo directly from gmail click the phone icon and type a number or search for someone, hover mouse over the result and click SMS (or phone if you want to place a call via Gmail, which is the best thing ever)

Hangouts integration is super awesome. I think the only downside is that it might be using data for SMS/MMS if you enable it, but I haven't actually tested if it does.

e: I should note that the setting in step 1 is basically saying "dear Google, please reroute all my SMS through your gmail infrastructure instead of delivering them as cellular SMS" as opposed to "dear phone, please use the hangouts app as the default SMS client." The distinction isn't clearly noted in the different settings on Android.

Eyes Only fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 28, 2016

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Uthor posted:

Yeah, my mom's Windows phone had the same issue, but I think only for MMS. I was hoping to avoid it as she doesn't have data on her plan, but whatever 0.5G speeds she does get seem good enough to get messages.

Isn't an MMS message just a SMS containing a reference link to an http page with the content on it? I think it needs data on for every carrier, but the carrier's server is usually exempt from data metering.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And is there a standard way of wiping it so I can be confident my personal data can't be recovered later?

The 5X and 6P have whole-disk encryption by default. I don't think there is a wrong way to wipe it. Go to settings->backup & reset->factory data reset, it will wipe the key and unless time travel is possible the data is unrecoverable forever.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

My 6P finally bit the dust and I couldn't stomach buying a Pixel 3 if Google is just going to copycat Apple's dumb design decisions, so I bought a Note 9.

Stuck the Fi SIM in it and so far everything works fine. I consider the inability to auto switch onto sprint's network to be an improvement over using a Google device. I've always used the hangouts app for texting and that still works fine. Calls working normally both on and off wifi. There are cheaper carriers out there but I like texting from gmail too much.

The phone itself is phenomenal, but man Samsung's variant of android is really annoying. The UI is okay but it's so pushy with the Samsung cloud garbage and it took considerable effort to not send my entire life history to samsung. I think I've got the worst offenders disabled via the developer options, but I do miss stock android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

For those thinking of bringing a non-pixel to Fi, I've been using a Note 9 for a couple of months now and the only unexpected issue I've run into is that I get a "voicemail notification error" text from Fi every time I get a voicemail. This is on top of the normal voicemail notification + transcript that hangouts gives. Everything else is great and I have a headphone jack, suckers.

Connectivity is actually improved over my nexus 6P, at least in the NYC area. I attribute this to the Note 9 being unable to switch to the poo poo-rear end Sprint towers. I don't miss the automatic Google secure wifi points since they were rarer than unicorns and tended to cause brief switching disconnects, which was annoying. Also secure wifi seems pointless in general but that's just my opinion.

*Since I have hangouts integration enabled, all messaging goes through Google servers, so any SMS problems inherent to using an unsupported phone wouldn't affect me. I imagine they'll iron out any existing SMS issues anyway, now that other phones are supported.