Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Does anyone have Fi in NYC? I'm on contract with Sprint with a discount that has me paying $80 a month. I just got a Fi invite and I'm thinking of paying the ETF and making the jump but want to know if the coverage in NYC is good enough to make it worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Animale posted:

It also works on Verizon and AT&T, so it's on all the bands.

I ended up picking up a 5X from Amazon since I have a Chase Freedom, whattup extra 10% off. Pretty sure it's going to be worse than my One M8 but whatever, it's what I can afford at the moment.

The camera will be an improvement if nothing else. I went from an M8 to the 6P.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ixian posted:

The camera in the 6p is much better than the one in the 5x FYI.

I mostly meant the M8 camera is complete rear end.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Of course I switch to Fi right before starting a job that doesn't allow personal devices to connect to wifi. :suicide:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ixian posted:

Considering it's an invite-only niche service with a waiting list up to 90 days long and only available in select areas....I am guessing drat few. Like, Sprint wouldn't even notice it as a rounding error few.

I just switched from Sprint and requested and got an invite within two days. Had the phone two days later.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darkpriest667 posted:

If your 6P is having battery problems compared to your Galaxy S5 I have to wonder what you're doing with it or if possibly you got a dud. I can get 3 days on my 6P sometimes. 1.5 with heavy use.

For reference this is what mine looks like.

Do I have a dud? My battery life isn't anything like that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ranter posted:

I get the same battery life as dark priest and I don't turn everything off, except bluetooth because I don't use it.

I echo the poster above and suggest verifying that Doze is working correctly.

I don't have Doze. This is probably why if you both have it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ranter posted:

Doze is part of the OS. Are you using Fi on an old phone?

Oh, nevermind then. I'm using a 6P but when I looked up Doze, I just saw it was an app, not part of marshmallow.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rakeris posted:

Not sure what you mean? But it can fast charge off any charger that has the proper specs. Afaik as long as it can output 3A it will fast charge.

He's asking if fast charge isn't possible using micro USB since they made a cord you can only use with the 6P.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Fhqwhgads posted:

This happens to me when I'm underground (like waiting for the subway) and it does cause whatever app I'm using to crash. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's usually when it's searching for a signal and eventually gives up. So when I'm going underground I just flip on airplane mode. It only ever happens once, though. Not constantly.

I've definitely had it happen multiple times on the same train ride.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 25, 2016

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If I switch networks using Signal Spy, Fi will still choose the best network later, right?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just chiming in to say that I had no issue getting a free replacement 6P after experiencing the dead-phone-at-20%+ battery thing even though I'm past warranty. I did get mine from Google directly though, so YMMV.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you mean your phone dying at approximately 20% battery? Cause poo poo, if I can get a replacement 6P out of warranty, tell me your secrets! :worship:

Yep. I just used chat on the Fi page and told them it was dying consistently above 20% battery, I tried troubleshooting and nothing was working. She said it was a known issue and issued a replacement. However, I've seen stories of people who got the phone with someone other than Google (and/or not living in the US) having a much harder time getting it replaced for this issue, so who knows.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Johnny Truant posted:

Was your replacement brand new? And how far out of your warranty were you? Interesting though, thanks for the tips! I bought my 6P second-hand from a homie but as far as I know she got it through Google, so I'm probably gonna give this a try later today. Worst they can do is say no!

No, it's a refurb according to the page I put in the order but I've never had an issue with a refurbished device in the past. I'm actually not sure if they're still making new ones at this point. I'm 6 months past warranty.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Glass of Milk posted:

Those of you that got a replacement phone out of warranty, did they charge you for the replacement before you sent back the old phone? Mine has a small dent by the volume control- will that negate the free replacement?

They put a hold on your credit card but that's it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I called too early looks like. I only got my 6P replaced. No upgrade for me. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Did you guys getting the Pixel replacements call, email, or chat?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm thinking I should probably jump on this before it's too late. I got my 6P replaced with another 6P out of warranty about two months ago. Does the replacement have its own warranty period or am I out of luck?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Looks like I'm getting my 6P replaced with a 128GB Pixel XL but it might only be because my original 6P replacement was still under warranty. Now the question becomes do I just let it ride or trade it in towards a Pixel 2 XL.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 7, 2017

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ranter posted:

Cancelled my pixel 2 XL order. Screen burn in after 5 days use, no thanks lol

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of issues with the 2XL pop up. I think I'll stick with the Pixel I just got as a replacement for a while. It's still new to me.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MonkeyFit posted:

So on Friday night, my Nexus 6P decided to eat a big old heaping bowl of Boot Loops. Come Saturday morning it had put itself into a permanent food coma. So I ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it had an estimated delivery date of Monday the 11th. They didn't even ship it until then and now it won't show up until Thursday. I called them up about it and there's nothing they're willing to do. Since that leaves me without a phone for far longer than anticipated, I'm considering getting a different phone and switching back to T-Mobile, and just returning the Pixel 2 after it arrives. I need a decent international plan, But I also need a working phone.

I mean, it's two more days. You're not really going to find a better international plan than Fi. It works out the box across country lines.

Just grab a burner for the next two days and enjoy your pixel when it shows up.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is FiSwitch better than Signal Spy?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just saw the data protection stuff. So, my bill is capped at $80 regardless of data usage? That seems like a pretty decent deal, though I'm not up on what other carriers are offering these days.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anybody used Fi in South Korea? I've never had a problem out of the country before but I've also never been so that side of the world.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cool. Thanks all. I'm not too worried since Fi has always been a seamless experience for me when I travel. I'll probably never leave it now that I'm traveling internationally more and they have the billing cap in place.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cloks posted:

I think the 8.1 update nuked my Pixel Xl's battery performance.

Same. I'm barely making it a day now when I was able to go two sometimes with light usage.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

oompah posted:

I'm on Fi with a Nexus 6P (since January 2017), and I kind of get the sense that I am on borrowed time, based on other folks' stories of batteries dying and replacements unavailable/expensive. Mine seems to be fine, if buggy and slow, but I am considering jumping on the Moto x4 deal Google has right now.

Anyone made the switch in that direction? Is it worth it for $250? I kind of want to downgrade (especially in price), so I'm not keen on the Pixel, but also want something relatively reliable for the next few years, if that is even possible.

If you end up having issues with your 6P, you may still be able to get a free Pixel upgrade. There were known issues with the 6P and Google *was* just swapping them out if you called or chatted in about it. Not sure if they still are but it's worth a shot.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sprint and Tmobile are merging. I wonder what this means for Fi.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I thought about it but they're all out of 128gb models, so I'm pumping the breaks

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Actually, could I grab it and change the color later as long as it's the same model? There are a few pink 128 XLs left.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm still salty I missed that promotion by minutes

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ugh, I'm torn. The XL is sold out again in colors I actually want and the Pixel 3 has a smaller battery than my Pixel XL and I don't think I'd like less battery life. Why would they put such a tiny battery in there?

e: whatever, I'm pulling the trigger.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 22, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

battery size is not directly related to battery life. i don't know how efficient the pixel 3 is on battery usage, but it's pretty silly to compare two totally different phones based on mAh alone

Yeah, I did some reading and that's the conclusion I came to. My phone trajectory has always involved a larger battery in my newer phone, so I had some biases.

Looking forward to my pixel 3 :yayclod:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FedEx is the worst. Pixel 3 is supposed to arrive today so I work from home since I have to sign for it. I get an email saying I wasn't here and they couldn't deliver this morning. There's no tag, no note or anything and no one rang my apartment. I've been here all morning. I didn't even see a truck come by my street.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

At least USPS attempts to get your package to you where I live. I've never had a good FedEx experience.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FogHelmut posted:

Fi has decided in the last week or so to use Sprint when I'm at my house. It always used TMobile before. Voice quality is rear end terrible on Sprint, and half the time it doesn't even ring when I get a call (my computer on Gmail will ring though.)

Manually switching to TMobile gives me perfect quality.

What the hell, Fi?

Same but all of Chicago

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Iron Crowned posted:

Textra has been good to me over the years, use that.

Seconded

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Never buy a Pixel at full price. There will always be a sale or special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Looks like you can't combine this with the $599 XL deal :(

Not that I need a new phone anyway.