Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Ordered my Google Fi Nexus 6p on 11/27, FedEx managed to get it to me today which really impressed me considering the estimated date was another 1-2 weeks out. Really impressed by this phone so far, my Moto G(2014) already feels like a toy in comparison. It's amazing how easy google has made it to sync everything across devices these days, it took me less than ten minutes to get everything setup and working. Signal seems acceptable as well...not quite as good as what I had at home with AT&T but with wifi calling it doesn't need to be and I'm paying $20 a month less anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Huh. I'd noticed today that I was going from LTE full coverage to absolutely no signal at all alarmingly fast, in places that made no real sense. Lo and behold, without saying a word I just got an email that I got a defective SIM card and they're mailing me a new one and giving me a $25 credit. That's...pretty insanely good customer service, if a little much.

I am absolutely loving the fingerprint scanner on my 6p as well, it recognizes my fingerprint from any angle and seems ridiculously accurate as well. I've never really wanted one before, but now I want one for my computer..car...anything else I can think of.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Munnin The Crab posted:

Got my 6P, sweet Legos, and SIM card yesterday. This thing is the bees knees. It's massive, in a very good way.

One thing I wish they did was make the finger print sensor on the back an actual button, like the LG G3. Having controls on the back was much more enjoyable than having them on the side.

Switching from Verizon was criminally easy. Pop in SIM card, press 'transfer my number' and within 15 minutes I got an email that my verizon line had been canceled and my Fi line was open.

The Fi network in my area is quite strong, and actually gets 4g vs the 1 bar of 3g I could manage with verizon.

Overall experience: 10/10, would recommend. Also, legos.

Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the large size, but it only took a couple of days to get used to it and now every phone I've had before feels like a toy.

Coming from AT&T, there are a few more dead spots but I get 4g LTE in pretty much every place that I ever actually use my phone in. And for $20 less a month I'm perfectly okay with that.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I had some trouble with battery life as well, until I learned that Doze is only triggered when the phone is almost completely still. That means that if it's in your pocket it's not going to doze, it pretty much only works if you set it down.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It doesn't actually show that one as a discount, just as a new "regular" price. If it's showing as $649 instead of $800 or whatever, you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

re: Pixel Pass: It's also a little wasteful to upgrade your phone just because the company says it's time, yeah? My Pixel 3 is over two years old and still doing great.

Yeah my Pixel 3 XL is still doing perfect. Unfortunately, the 3 and 3XL are going to be out of update coverage range starting next month. So there won't be any more version, or more importantly, security updates for them. I'm waiting to see if there are going to be any good black friday deals or anything, but failing that at least the 6 is relatively cheap and pretty much a straight upgrade.