Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

de la peche posted:

gently caress it, I'll bite. We don't have those in the U.K., just the soft flour tortillas. What's the difference?

These you need to actually cook for a little bit on the stovetop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Keldoclock posted:

You always need to toast a tortilla on the stovetop.

Well, you could just microwave them. (runs, hides)

But the uncooked ones...gotta stovetop 'em.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I guarantee you people who don't like celery aren't complaining about a proper mirepoix, but the tendency of moms to just throw raw celery on whatever because veggies.

This. People love to dump celery into places where it shouldn't belong, and unless celery is cooked, it's not going to play well with others. My in-laws put celery in their burger patties, for God's sake. "It gives it a nice crunch!" Then use cucumber or something, ugh. And what the hell is it doing in my olive salad? You know, the thing that should have olives in it?

Celery abuse has turned me off to even the cooked/flavor base version of same. When I make gumbo, it's more green peppers in lieu of celery.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not attacking you, I strongly dislike the pseudo-myth that people have developed for stuff like celery. For what it actually gives your body, celery is essentially a non-food. You need to eat a disgusting amount of it to get any benefits from it.

People use it as a textural/flavor additive, which drives me up the walls because there are so many other good options that add more to the table than "snappy and it tastes like dirt."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

adorai posted:

Celery is good for three things:

1) dipping into a suitable dip, like ranch dip or hummus. Maybe peanut butter if you are into that sort of thing.
2) chopping finely and adding to some kind of salad. Garden, tuna, chicken, potato or egg are all candidates.
3) adding to soup.

It has little nutritional value, but does add a nice texture to salads, adds fiber to soup, and is a great delivery device for dipping stuff.

Allow me to introduce you to Cucumis sativus. Does the bolded but also doesn't taste like poo poo. Actually plays nice with the flavors you dump it in. Actually adds depth to the proceedings.

There is no excuse for Ima dump some celery init. Do not do this.

• Locked thread