Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

edit: responding here instead of the other thread.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That said, many many people do this on boats and in RVs each year without going up like a powder keg.

Many people drink and drive without getting in accidents, as well.

And I think the point is that running the space heater while you're not home leaves you no chance to see an impending disaster and avert it. If something goes wrong while you're at work and your space heater's going, goodbye dog. I know that's true of any heating solution for any dwelling, but A) you will have lest prompt emergency response time and B) space heaters do start fires a lot more commonly than say a traditional furnace.

If you really want to do this, you should strongly consider giving the dog up. That way you don't have to run the heater when you're at work and you don't have this problem.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Looking like it'd be around $4-500 a month.

Hold up here again.

In the other thread you said that 1-bedroom rent in Minneapolis was "approaching" 1000 a month (by the way, this is way lower than it is in a lot of major cities).

If you have a $500 payment and $300 boat slippage fees, I don't see how you can possibly be saving enough in utilities to be saving $600 a month in rent - especially considering you'll have to insure this boat because you own it and will be owing tens of thousands of dollars on it after the down payment if my assumption of $8000 = 20% is correct.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That was just a quick ballpark estimate on a 10 year loan at $40k at %6.5 apr. Realistically I'd be looking at a much smaller loan and it would probably be over a 20 year period instead which would cut the payments down by half at least.

You cut the payments down in half, slippage + loan is still $550 ($300 + $250 loan payment). Add in insurance and increased heating costs, not to mention other boat maintenance(in a rented apartment, the landlord is responsible for all normal wear-and-tear repairs; here, you're responsible for everything), it is literally impossible to save anywhere near $600 versus rent that's "approaching $1k".

I admit I know very little (practically nothing) about boats, but it seems to me like you've really done your research as far as the boat side of this, but the money side of it really needs some better numbers. I'd like to see what your rent actually costs for 1k bedroom, plus utilities, versus a solid estimate of total cost to run the boat - including boat insurance and an average monthly maintenance allowance.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 23, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If the words "boat loan" appear in a post, I think it should automatically be merged with the BWM thread

That's where this thread came from. Ashes to ashes, I guess?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Boat Estimates
Dock Fee - $300
Insurance - $100 (estimated) I've seen ranges from $300-2000 a year.
Black Tank Removal - $40
Propane - $40
Boat Payment - $250-500?
Total - $730-980

So monthly maybe I only save a couple hundred a month.

No, you probably won't save anything, because there's no maintenance allowance in here. When you pay rent, your landlord pays for repairs. When you OWN a boat, you pay for repairs.

Are you telling me nothing breaks on a boat? Because basically every other boat owner would say the opposite. Insurance, I would imagine, is largely for if it sinks/burns down and doesn't cover wear and tear issues.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Of course things will break on a boat and I'll deal with them as they come up.

Then you need to do some research in about how much you can expect to spend in a year and amortize that over a month for budgeting purposes if the whole goal here is to "save money" or hell even if you just don't want to get buried by costs. For example, actual houses usually need on average about 2% maintenance costs per year, so a smart owner is building that into their budget.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Your 2-300 dollars is contingent on $0 average maintenance costs per month. I'd wager it'll be well over the $200 or so the maintenance on a cheap house is (averaged out over time).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my man if you want to live on a houseboat because it will be a great experience that is totally fine and cool and good and you should do it

just don't try to rationalize it as a fiscal decision because i can absofuckinglutely guarantee you that the black swan ultimate upside is break-even

Agreed with this 100%. If you want to do it and you can afford it fine, but you won't be saving money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm noticing there's still no talk about maintenance costs. No talk at all. Whatever, I'll deal with it as it comes!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What about an amphibious RV?

http://www.camillc.com/terrawind.htm

Summer on the lake, migrate south for the winter. Take the highway or the river, whatever!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Pretty much. I of course will plan some of the yearly stuff and budget for that accordingly. Stuff like taking the boat out of the water to be serviced and cleaned every couple of years.

Just so you know, this is stupid as hell. This would be dumb with a house, and a house can't easily sink and kill you (in most places). You should be figuring out if you need to expect to pay $100 or $400 per month on average, or whatever, because that's a big difference over 20 years (and you won't be able to offload your boat five years into your loan without taking a huge hit).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A Roth isn't a backup savings account. Do you realize if you pull money out of there, you pay a 10% penalty on it?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Were you actually planning on air-drying clothes on a boat in Minnesota in the winter? :psyduck:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Didn't you say you didn't want a studio? That thing looks smaller than a studio....

This is exactly what I was thinking. That's a little place by any standard.

edit: it seems there are more pictures that show it better than the ones he included in the post. Looks like it has two levels, and the bottom level looks like it has a couple rooms. Top room has the controls and a room.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 4, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So is there an oven or something, or do you have to cook on a foreman or on a grill on the deck?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Move to the coast, build your own houseboat and run your business out of international waters. No more taxes!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

r0ck0 posted:

Humblebrag

No one brags about owning a condo. Hundreds of thousands of dollars and you still have to hear your neighbors, can't make just about any changes, and need to pay some arbitrary fees to a landlord condo association (while also paying taxes). The worst of all worlds, except maybe freezing to death on a river.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Please no wedding chat, we don't need another thread where people fall over each other to brag about how they got married in their backyard and invited twenty people and they wouldn't change a thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If this doesnt work out I might look into one of those lending tree type situations and see what is available. I refuse to deal with the bank and their %10 personal loan bullshit.

An unsecured personal loan will definitely be over 10% at lending tree if you're talking about a loan for over 15k. Because it's incredibly risky to give that loan out.

But what do you care? You're about to be DROWNING IN SAVINGS!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CellarDweller posted:

Why is he desperate to sell? Why does the interior need to get reworked? Full of mold?

Does it really matter? He boondoggled that landlord and he's not about to get hornswaggled into a new rent agreement. This is his big chance.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

It might be a better use of your time at the moment to look for apartments and not boats, seeing as you are getting kicked out of your place you knucklehead.

If it comes down to it, he can always just buy 2 of these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57280866&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832&categoryId=4417844

Lash them together, and put this on top:

http://www.backcountry.com/eureka-a...2F0NzExMDAwNDc=

After two months, he'll have saved literally (two) hundreds!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

What do the girlfriend and her family think of these developments?

It doesn't matter, see the OP

quote:

I have a long term girlfriend, who is not on board with this idea at all but I'll talk her into it once she sees how cool the boat is.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

I meant about getting evicted.

As long as he gets the boat in time, no one needs to know!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That said I think my money problems will be solved once my Left Shark super bowl bet pays off.

Okay, like Slo Mo, this may have started as the ramblings of an ill-advised fool, but now it's just become a troll.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's basically all your base or rickroll for 2015, just a dumb thing that the internet thinks is funny, and the internet echo chamber is loud enough that a few people finding it amusing makes it incredible high comedy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

AKA a rigid tent, on wheels.

They're not all like that. http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

Obviously the nicer ones are more expensive, but being 1/10th to 1/4th the size of a typical house, with needing less land, means it does cost a lot less. And it won't sink into the frozen sea, leaving only bubbles from the bubblers in its wake.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm more talking the first couple on the page, which are very nice

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/10/640x480/gallery_54f0d9d889efa_-_01-millertinyhouse-048-edit1-lgn.jpg
http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/480x552/54eb987844570_-_tiny-houses-shelter-0215-xln-70320518.jpg

The one you picked is really bad yeah.

edit: Hey, relevant!

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/54eb987d398a1_-_small-of-fame10-0215-xln-24080125.jpg

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't know about plumbing (I'm sure the one that seems to be built on a city lot does), but most of those clearly have electricity, unless a wizard is powering the lights.

...but why do you need water when you're living on running water? Think of all the savings if you just take a bath in the river and drink river water (just boil it, it's fine)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

Full size horses. They pull the tiny house from lot to lot.

From her blog (linked from the article) she also bought a puppy then had to give it up when it became violent and antisocial. Imagine that!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Moneyball posted:

I could totally get on that tiny house/living in a van by choice instead of out of poverty like Daniel Norris thing, except I want to have a life with other people in it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12420393/top-blue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

:staredog: what a weird dude.

If this guy can live his dream, OP, there's no reason you can't.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If he's sailing somewhere and he's conducting his business from the boat, it'll pay off triple!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

NancyPants posted:

Because houseboats want to float?

Counterpoint: http://www.all-about-houseboats.com/houseboat-sinking-problems-flooded-frozen-and-sunken-house-boat-hull.html

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's been suggested, he refuses to pay the interest associated with such a loan.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Prosper loans start at 5.99%, but I'll bet that's for like a $1000-$3000 loan if you have good credit. I doubt there's anywhere that actually gives 5% loans on $35k unsecured loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

OP just buy a cheap boat for a few grand and make your own, the American way. http://shantyboatliving.com/2016/shantyboat-2/

• Locked thread