Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

quote:

I have a long term girlfriend, who is not on board with this idea at all but I'll talk her into it once she sees how cool the boat is.

:stare:

I guess you aren't at the point where you would be living together because that would be a much more convenient way to save rent. But are her concerns safety-related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Basically her parents are super religious and wont help her pay for school if she was living with a boy. And there's no way I'm throwing down money for her college. Her concerns are mostly about the heating issue and the dog. She thinks it would be fun to have in the summer and fall but not to live on.

And I also assume there's no way she can take the dog during the winter?

I'm on board (ha!) with the idea and am interested to see how it plays out and whether it really does save money. You've certainly done your research, but seriously be careful with space heaters. I'm an exceptionally cautious person when it comes to things like that, but when I relied on them for a couple weeks I wouldn't even leave the room with one on.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Ok hold up. What do you expect your monthly payment to be?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Hold up here again.

In the other thread you said that 1-bedroom rent in Minneapolis was "approaching" 1000 a month (by the way, this is way lower than it is in a lot of major cities).

If you have a $500 payment and $300 boat slippage fees, I don't see how you can possibly be saving enough in utilities to be saving $600 a month in rent - especially considering you'll have to insure this boat because you own it and will be owing tens of thousands of dollars on it after the down payment if my assumption of $8000 = 20% is correct.

Yeah, this is where I was going. The $600 didn't include the payment for the houseboat. How much is insurance? I can't see this saving more than $100/month. Are you not counting the cost of the houseboat because you'll own it? Because

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Boats depreciate in value really quickly and a used houseboat can be purchased for a fraction of what a house would cost you.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
20 year loan? How long do you expect the boat to last? How much will insurance go up as it ages? How much will it be worth five years into the loan?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
If you want to live on a boat, live on a boat. But if you want to save money, you're not going to convince anyone that taking out a 20-year loan on one of the most laughably bad investments is a good or "frugal" way to do that.

Life is all about balancing your priorities. If someone prioritizes living in the city they will pay more in rent. Not every decision you make has to show savings over time, so don't force the square peg of boat ownership onto the round hole of money-saving ideas.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Is the 8k your boat budget or your savings?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
It's too bad there's no more accurate way of estimating a loan payment than asking people what they pay and averaging that together.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Once they hit the limit on their propane budget they need a new source of fuel and whale blubber is hard to come by these days.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Veskit posted:

What kind of permits do you need to live on a boat?

None. If anyone questions you then you can just take them on your cool boat and they'll come around.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

This is exactly what I have been think about with the girlfriend posts.

OP, how much work does this boat need? Do you know what it will cost? Are you planning to live in a half-renovated boat over the winter because it seems like you might die if you do that.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
How much will the renovations on this boat cost to make it death proof?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Do you really see absolutely no reason for someone to not want to insure a boat for a person who does not know how to use it?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
On the other hand, putting a server farm on his boat would lower his heating costs... possibly keep him from freezing to death in his deathtrapboat.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

They can't just keep his deposit without demonstrating damage to the apartment.

Not that there won't be an attempt, but OP should probably document the condition of the apartment before moving out.

If it's one of those where they'd be you prices like "$50 to clean the sink if it's dirty, $75 to vacuum if needed" then the dude will nickel and dime him until the deposit runs out.

Guess you really need to find a houseboat now, OP. I think you're done renting anywhere that requires a history.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Veskit posted:

Why don't you find a room to rent that is month to month and get a storage unit until you can live out your dreams of being a lovely boat captain?

You know, just in case.... It wouldn't even be that much money to have a lot of security

Wow way to miss the obvious in your plan there.

OP, get a storage unit. Then live in the storage unit. You can do it I believe in you.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It will probably also need the roof to be re-waterproofed or whatever the hell one does to a houseboat roof.

Please learn what this is before you buy the boat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I went and took a look at it and it was pretty solid, better than I thought actually.

You don't seem to know that much about boat maintenance, so what are you looking for to make this determination?

• Locked thread