Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just going to re-post my comment from the BWM thread:

I live in South Dakota and wouldn't want a house boat at all. Half the year in Minnesota you will be fighting the cold and a third of it trying to keep the place warm enough so you don't freeze to death. Move somewhere that isn't a frozen tundra if you're serious about a houseboat.

Let's be serious for a moment:

You can expect being on the water the temperature will actually be lower than these numbers due to lake effect. How are you planning to survive on a boat in water where 5 months of the year have below-freezing temperature and temps reaching as low as -30F? Not only that but you mention you plan to use bubblers so your dumb boat doesn't end up frozen have you considered the potential issues along with legality in your city/state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just want to point out that the ops window for executing this winter is closing pretty fast. We're already looking at 32F highs in South Dakota this weekend which means same goes for the op. Only going to get colder from here!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I bought a 54k bmw at 2.9% apr so perhaps you should shift to car living over boat living for the return? Just an idea

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SpelledBackwards posted:

Compare the luxury interior of your BWM BMW to that of, say, a boat.

The benefit is I won't die of frostbite in the winter and my cat has a comfy heated blanket to judge me on... Makes you think

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A house is basically a condo except you have to mow the lawn and maintain the driveway/roof/siding/etc, and there's some air between you and your neighbor (personally this doesn't affect me).

The amount of money you blow on HOA can be used to hire a neighbor's kid to do all the poo poo like lawns and snow removal.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/1/10880632/super-bowl-50-prop-bets-mvp-national-anthem-coin-toss

Left shark making an appearance is a 15:1 bet. Hey BaseballPCHiker I was playing video lottery last night and won $210 off of $10 so maybe you should cross state lines and partake in South Dakota's VLC and/or pull tabs since you'll get more out of your burnt cash.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What if the bookies say they dressed as right shark :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DuckConference posted:

Related question: Can you take a houseboat through the Panama Canal?

I would imagine they have laws like they do on the Mississippi. A friend built a huge raft and planned to sail from Chicago down the entire Mississippi but was stopped in Missouri because the raft couldn't go upstream something like 20 knots which meant if they got too close to a barge they would've been sucked under.

• Locked thread