Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Problem description: My computer thinks there are headphones's in the jack even when there's none. I can use headphones just fine but I can't ever get sound from the speakers, I used to get around this by installing an old audio driver that let me disable headphones jack, but I switched to Windows 10 today and apparently this driver isn't supported anymore (forgot the name, maybe microsoft something). My current audio driver is Realtek HD Audio Driver. I don't care about using headphones ever again, I just want my speakers to work again. I want to disable headphone recognition. The sound works absolutely fine, it's just that the computer thinks headphones are always on.

Attempted fixes: I've tried to update the driver, I've google ways to disable the headphones. Apparently there's supposed to be Realtek HD Audio Manager with the rest of the program, with a feature to disable headphone jacks or at least make it so both play at the same time, but my version of this Manager is completely barebones for some reason and dates back to 2014. so if there's a way to download a new version of Audio Manager I'm all ears (ha!) The other fix I can think of is going back to windows 8 and downgrading the audio driver again to something more agreeable.

Recent changes: I installed Windows 10 today

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10, 64 bits

System specs: ASUS laptop nvida geforcegetx, intel core i7n, energy star, I can't find the model number but it's recent, I just want to disable headphones so I don't think it's super relevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes to both.

edit: welp, my finger slipped as I was writing the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
can't you just go into the native windows sound settings / playback devices (like this), disable the headphones and make the laptop speaker as default device?

You could do this in 7 by right clicking the volume thing in the tray and clicking playback devices or something, but if that doesn't work in 10 I'm sure you'll find it by searching sound or playback devices in the start menu. That sound window is definately there in 10 though so I'm sure you'll find it.

In case it wasn't clear, when you have that window up you right click the device to disable or make default.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crack posted:

can't you just go into the native windows sound settings / playback devices (like this), disable the headphones and make the laptop speaker as default device?

You could do this in 7 by right clicking the volume thing in the tray and clicking playback devices or something, but if that doesn't work in 10 I'm sure you'll find it by searching sound or playback devices in the start menu. That sound window is definately there in 10 though so I'm sure you'll find it.

In case it wasn't clear, when you have that window up you right click the device to disable or make default.

Thanks, I can't, realtek hd doesn't give me that option. I can only disable the speakers, the microphone and the mixing (both of those are recording related).

I switched back to Windows 8 and could get my old driver called High Performance Audio, which lets me disable headphones using the method you described. I'll have to think about this if I make the jump back in the future. So this thread is not really needed anymore but if you have any ideas how to solve this with windows 10 I'm still interested.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I dunno how you were updating the driver before, best way would be to uninstall the old one and install the newest one for win 10 from the vendors site (example). If you just got ones from realtek it will be a general one and not have any features tailored to your hardware.

Alternatively did you try installing the old driver (after uninstalling current one) in compatibility mode? That might work.

Don't think it's worth the hassle of reinstalling 10 just to try a couple of methods though...

• Locked thread