Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sailor Senshi?
This poll is closed.
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino 6 4.51%
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno 15 11.28%
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino 23 17.29%
Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino 42 31.58%
Sailor Venus/Minako Aino 6 4.51%
why didnt you put the outers on here fucker 41 30.83%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are you replying to everything with 'hes right'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

they should watch anime, instead
there is no tales of graces anime, and also tales of graces uses things like skits which really only make sense in a video game format - if you applied it to a straight anime, the characters would be stopping every ten seconds to have some random conversation about nothing, but in a game it breaks up the exploration of dungeons and towns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i will one day have a computer that can run dota 2 at decent graphics without any lag and then i will play it with my cool and chill friends here who play it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Tarranon posted:

it's true. but, imo, all games should be interesting. if something can provide a really unique experience while not being fun in the traditional sense of "learning and mastering systems" that 99% of games are comprised of, it's worthwhile as an experience

THAT SAID I'm also glad of the gameplay uber alles philosophy because those beliefs have created some of the best video games of the decade, hotline miami being the easiest example

good work and artists in general are pretty much all made by rabid ideologues whether they realize it or not. that's what makes it fun and interesting to see

the world of art is fun because it's got so many perspectives..even ones that are pretty objectively wrong..

games shouldn't even have to be interesting, give me the Jeanne Dielman of video games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

there is no tales of graces anime, and also tales of graces uses things like skits which really only make sense in a video game format - if you applied it to a straight anime, the characters would be stopping every ten seconds to have some random conversation about nothing, but in a game it breaks up the exploration of dungeons and towns.
this applies to whatever tales game people think is best, for whatever reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Has anyone tried to go the next level with a fighting game and make a game of nothing but hitboxes for visuals.

No one has bothered, because a true fighting gamer has transcended graphics and sees nothing but pure boxes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

No one has bothered, because a true fighting gamer has transcended graphics and sees nothing but pure boxes.
its true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention if you're invested in the story of one game over another than obviously poo poo like big boss battles in game A will feel more enjoyable to you than game B, even if B has the objectively superior system for engaging in those battles.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

are you replying to everything with 'hes right'

thats his gimmick

always has been

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

I dunno, part of the charm of fighting games and character action games is the spectacle of it. Unless you have boxes exploding in some manner, it would probably look very dull.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

not to mention if you're invested in the story of one game over another than obviously poo poo like big boss battles in game A will feel more enjoyable to you than game B, even if B has the objectively superior system for engaging in those battles.
that's not obvious at all

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i will play as the cool succubus lady or the cool ship captain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

that's not obvious at all
why

if you care about the story and want to beat up character A, then beating up character A will be satisfying even if the combat system is only decent.

if you don't care about character B, then you might enjoy beating character B up on a gameplay level, but you won't derive the same satisfaction from it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's like saying that the only thing that matters in a gag anime are the gags, and that it'd be just as enjoyable if you removed whatever elements until you were left with stick figures joking at each other.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the wildest rear end posted:

im sure the broken people who play that still consider it fun

I'm not broken!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if gameplay was the only thing that mattered to people, final fantasy wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Motto posted:

it's like saying that the only thing that matters in a gag anime are the gags, and that it'd be just as enjoyable if you removed whatever elements until you were left with stick figures joking at each other.

mm, you have to look at it more from the perspective of the medium. Comparing it to genres doesn't really parse

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Motto posted:

if gameplay was the only thing that mattered to people, final fantasy wouldn't be nearly as popular.
the good final fantasies would be more popular if people had better taste in games, its true. those are 5, 8, 10, and 12, by the way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tarranon posted:

mm, you have to look at it more from the perspective of the medium. Comparing it to genres doesn't really parse

then it's like saying something silly like "the only thing that matters in a book is the plot/themes". it's hard to make a comparison to other mediums since in other mediums the various elements are much more obviously critically intertwined.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Tarranon posted:

it's like if you said only one element of novels mattered, like if prose was the only important part

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

the good final fantasies would be more popular if people had better taste in games, its true. those are 5, 8, 10, and 12, by the way

even in final fantasy games with well-designed battle systems, most players won't ever pick up on the intricacies because the games are easy enough that you can hammer attack while casting cure and eventually win. I love V, but the depth in that game only becomes even remotely apparent when you harshly restrict yourself with something like the four job fiesta.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm not broken!

im sorry but you have fail aids srice

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the wildest rear end posted:

im sorry but you have fail aids srice

I can't...I can't succumb to the fail aids now!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Motto posted:

then it's like saying something silly like "the only thing that matters in a book is the plot/themes". it's hard to make a comparison to other mediums since in other mediums the various elements are much more obviously critically intertwined.

keep in mind the reason this movement came up in the first place is because for quite a while developers were pushing gaming to be more and more like other mediums. Specifically movies.

This is fine to a degree but eventually what makes games unique suffers at the hands of trying to push the medium into something it's not.

and that's fine too, in a way. people are still figuring out how to make games. hell, when visual media first really made it out, the only thing people knew how to do was make filmed versions of what were basically plays. No one knew what the medium could do.

whether they are rabid fanatics or not, gameplay uber alles types are right in their desire to look first at what makes games games, and then work from there

and again im saying all this as a fan of lots of different types of games !

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

homeless snail posted:

Isn't 12 a prime example of a game that doesn't have as engaging a story as the more popular entries despite having pretty good mechanics?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also XIII has a pretty good battle system, but lots of people hate it because they dislike the story and there's no illusion of freedom provided by letting you get in an airship and go back to the first town to buy more knives with +1 ATK.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tarranon posted:

keep in mind the reason this movement came up in the first place is because for quite a while developers were pushing gaming to be more and more like other mediums. Specifically movies.

people vastly overstate how common that is though. the overwhelming majority of games are nothing like a david cage game, or even a modern naughty dog game.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Allarion posted:

Isn't 12 a prime example of a game that doesn't have as engaging a story as the more popular entries despite having pretty good mechanics?

The mechanics in XII are basically he worst in the series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII is my favorite, by the way. Followed by X-2

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

people vastly overstate how common that is though. the overwhelming majority of games are nothing like a david cage game, or even a modern naughty dog game.

even then, those games are a far cry from being movies

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tonight I watched The Dagger of Kamui, which has a completely nonsense plot but has some of the prettiest and coolest looking cinematography I've seen in an anime.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I started writing down timestamps of cool things to make gifs of, but stopped when I realized I was basically going to have to make a gif of the entire film.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Ys games loving rule, but Ys Origin would have been way less loving awesome if it did not have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSxN98y7Z4

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this popped up, because of fate

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Motto posted:

you don't remember game boxes bragging about how many minutes /hours of cutscenes they had? that was a real thing, way before David cage was even a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tarranon posted:

we need a thread to settle once and for all which animated women I can lust after and which I can't
What an unexpectedly convenient segue into this post I was just typing up anyway:

In light of recent board issues, conflicts, and personality clashes - in particular a few pertaining specifically to the chat thread - I'm drafting an update to the existing subforum rules regarding the posting of images and general posting etiquette. The meat and potatoes of this update will concern a few things that have kinda always been the accepted, expected way of doing things, just never set in stone or (in some cases) explicitly stated. There are a few points I feel will require some addressing in here however.

Regarding the posting of fanservicey and ecchi images, both official and fan-created, I appreciate that some folks don't consider them a big deal or even that objectionable. While I personally am not a huge fan of them being posted, they don't really faze me since I've been a part of several communities that took a far more casual attitude towards their inclusion. That said, I think posters who don't wish to view such images are entitled to not be bombarded by them or (as occasionally is the case) tricked into viewing them. Outside of the chat thread they should be spoilered and/or remotely linked and tagged. Inside the chat thread, while I'm not necessarily stamping it out, I'd appreciate some restraint - and even in this looser posting environment there are still some images I'd think would benefit from being set apart and tagged (I will specify which ones in the update).

Which brings us to our next and honestly bigger point.

A lot of the posts surrounding these images are often unnecessarily lurid, leering, or otherwise creepy. Even as an "Ironic" joke, it's pretty tasteless...especially considering the elephant in the room regarding the subject of many of these images. Yeah they're "Not real," "Arbitrarily drawn a certain way," "Actually XX years old," but it's still creepy as hell. I know this place is white noise central and very few posts in a vacuum should be taken seriously, but I've received a lot of reports and PMs from people who no longer feel comfortable posting in here. Some of them aren't even against these images being posted but still feel like the atmosphere surrounding them has become too much. This forum only has a few rules, even fewer of which apply in here, but "Don't be a creep" should be pretty universal.

Thanks for reading.

• Locked thread