Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Problem description: I recently built a new PC, and I have noticed crackling that occurs when a new audio file starts, as well as when the audio file ends. It happens with all files, but it is particularly noticeable in games that use looping audio files. It occurs with all audio jacks.

Attempted fixes: Updated the Bios, installed new USB 3.0 drivers, installed new RealTek audio drivers, uninstalled Asus audio software, reseated HD audio cable, moved USB peripherals to different ports, front/rear audio jacks, uninstalled Nvidia HD audio drivers, tried different Nvidia audio drivers. I think that is all.

Recent changes:

It's a new PC, so none. I tried my best to uninstall the Asus audio software that comes with the motherboard.

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

System specs:
Intel 4790K
Asus H97 Pro Gamer w/ SupremeFX HD Audio
16 GB DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix RAM
MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr
EVGA Supernova 750 G2 (complete overkill, I know, I had issues with my original EVGA power supply)
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD

Plugged into the PC I have my Dell U2412M monitor via DVI, cheap Apple earbuds, the power cord, and the keyboard/mouse plugged into USB 3.0 ports.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I spent my afternoon trying to fix it. There appears to be a large amount of people who have crackling with onboard audio.

At this point I'm read to buy a separate sound card and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Have you tried multiple speakers / headphones? If so, RMA the board.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I can't tell if it is the board or a software problem. Removing the RealTek drivers and using the generic Windows ones seems to fix the issues in Windows itself, but the crackle is still present in some games. LatencyMonitor is telling me this:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you do a clean installation of Windows when you built that machine?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

Did you do a clean installation of Windows when you built that machine?

Yes. All of the components are brand new. For some reason Latency Monitor is reporting the measured CPU speed as 1 Mhz, and all of the ISR count errors are going to CPU 0 and none of the other cores.

Before I reset the bios settings to defaults, Latency Monitor was reporting the Reported CPU speed as 40 Mhz, but now it is reporting the correct 3990 Mhz.

Something is clearly out of whack somewhere but I'm having trouble figuring out which driver.

The following processes have been causing issues: ataport.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, ndis.sys, iusb3xhc.sys, dxgkrnl.sys.

reagan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 25, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you verified the CPU temperature is normal (that it isn't throttling)?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

Have you verified the CPU temperature is normal (that it isn't throttling)?

HWMonitor and the Asus AI suite have been telling me 30-35 degrees at idle, maybe 50-60 in game. The benchmarking results I have tried seem to be where one would expect a healthy 4790K to be. Oh, and I suppose I should mention that I have not overclocked anything.

E: Upgrading to Windows 10 didn't fix the issue. It was worth a try. I'm going to try a reformat and see what Latency Monitor says with a completely fresh install. Not sure what is going on here:

reagan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Latency seems a bit better with a fresh reformat. I have yet to finish installing all of the Windows updates or install the Nvidia drivers, however.

E: Installing a Realtek audio driver for Vista from 2009 seems to have fixed the before/after crackle/pop in Windows. I have yet to try a game.

reagan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread