Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If they use a single original idea from the prequel trilogy or the extended universe then they are super stupid

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And the previous movies had a broken evil robot man named Grievous and the villain Sidious

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Obviously he is going to be serpentine on account of his name is Snoke and this is Star Wars

Didn't a leaked artbook page already spoiled he's a reptilian?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Danger posted:

This debate was raging in the other thread yesterday but wasn't really ideal to discuss at length due to spoilers: if the accepted plot synopsis is accurate this movie is so clearly a reboot.

Poetry, rhymes, etcetera

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Lupita Nyong'o's script said <ADD REASON HERE ABRAMS YOU rear end in a top hat> when she was recording her lines so she just winged it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I don't believe so. When he went down, my wife said she was pretty sure he just lost a hand, so I started really looking for it, and I could pretty clearly see outlines of both of his hands. You know...still attached.

He still had all his limbs attached. I like how they made lightsabers less powerful but way more threatening. Like, in the ot and pt getting touched by one meant an instant defeat, but here you had characters getting slashed and stabbed and still keeping on and made for a more exciting duel since there were actual stakes.

Also I bet that Luke won't say I'm your father, it'll be Rey either saying you're my father or I'm your daughter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ren was in tons of turmoil and thus was distracted and unfocused.
As to why he didn't explode into a fine red mist after getting gutshot, I am willing to chalk it up to the Force.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kylo going from reaching in and trying to dig out Rey's memories while she tries to block him out to her pushing back and him looking like he's trying to fend her off is one of my favorite shots in this good, fun movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I thought the force was something everybody could use (it surrounds us, binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter) but only people who are really not sceptical, who are open and calm and collected, can reach into it and do things with it. Of course, there are people who are particularly well attuned to it.
Rey's body language in those two scenes show her basically clearing her mind calming down, and meditating/letting herself go to use it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

khy posted:

The main character was handed control of a powerful, mystical force without any real effort on her part. Another movie or another series and I wouldn't actually say a word, but this is Star Wars. We've seen in the past other characters taking years, DECADES even of work to achieve the same level of mastery. To see Anakin, someone who was supposed to be such a force powerhouse still require the same level of training, to see Luke going through the trials and hardships of learning the force from Obi-Wan and Yoda, then to see Rey suddenly using the Mind Trick as if it was a mere cantrip definitely felt contrived and cheap.

I'm not calling it a mistake, I'm calling it a stupid decision on the part of the filmmakers.

khy posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Anakin's training was a failure. They definitely managed to teach the kid how to control the force and wield a saber pretty well. Granted, they hosed up the whole 'control your emotions' part but Anakin wasn't pulling off Jedi stunts until he'd actually had some schooling.

As for Luke, I agree. The space taxi ride was enough training for him to make one force-assisted shot in his X-Wing. He wasn't force-grabbing sabers and pulling off other poo poo until 3 years later.

Anakin was champion at a sport that humans couldn't even compete in explicitly because of the force and he managed to bumble his way through stealing a fighter, surviving a space battle and destroying the death star analogue with no trouble, again because of the force, when he was a little child.
Luke managed to go from shooting cans with a bb gun in his backyard to destroying a base the size of a moon, by a shot that was one in a million. And he didn't have any jedi schooling inbetween episodes 4 and 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What's the first jedi ability jedi learn? What's the last? How many skill points does it take to unlock? Do they learn new moves every two levels or every five? Can they invest skill points to make basic abilities stronger?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

The prequels suggest that Obi-Wan is a competent but unexceptional Jedi. So unexceptional that he stands in for the Jedi as a group.

I think there is something to be said at the fact Obi-Wan's only really good at the lightsabering and not so much at the forcening

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I just hope they've filmed all of Luke and Leia's scenes because man wouldn't it suck if they bought the farm before the series ends.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I rewatched episode 3 with rifftrax the other day and there's seriously three scenes back to back of people talking in a spaceport, an office and a conference room.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I was genuinely hoping that the end would reveal Luke using C3PO's arm and leave the story up to our imagination.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Do you think the words "midichlorians" or "Padme Amidala" will ever be uttered in episodes 8 or 9?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm glad I don't read EU novels anymore because that Rucka poo poo (and I like Rucka) just sounds like the same over-explaining poo poo the books have always done.

It makes sense because hey, characters have histories and sometimes exploring them to better understand their motivations.
It's when these explorations jump up a butt, like having the stormtrooper who bonked his head being a force sensitive who passed out when Alderaan exploded or IG88 successfully upload himself to the death star and have pissy door fights with Palpatine when things get really stupid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Beeez posted:

Ben Kenobi served her father in the Clone Wars and safeguarded her brother for 19 years. Alternatively, they just thought it was a good name.

I can't wait for the EU book where it's established he was named after Leia's uncle on her mother's side, Ben'jam'n Phrnk, who was instrumental in leaking the Starkiller Base's trench layout.

EDIT: You know what, did Luke ever name any of his kids after Owen and Beru Lars, the actual people who raised him? Seems kinda insensitive he didn't.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 4, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I imagine whoever leaks VIII will get sued so hard they never actually existed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I hope Thrawn is just a regular-rear end human or extreme alien a la Dexter Jettster or the werewolf cantina alien because regular human but the color of not regular human is too lame/Star Trek-like.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Costco has this big chunky art book for the movie with propaganda posters and man I wish my nephew was older so I could get it for him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Galen Antilles is the equivalent of John Smith I guess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Would've been less awkward if they pulled a Forrest Gump and just green-screened Kennick in Ep 4's Tarkin scenes

James Earl Jones sounds like he himself has to take a deep pull from an oxygen mask before doing his Vader lines.

And people bitching about Chirrut using the Force as a plothole consider this: The Force is the ur-example used of something that makes something happen just for the hell of it so shhhhh

It's a drat shame we know what happens to the Death Star because goddamn was it used to terrific effect

I appreciated the death star laser hitting Krandall on the tower with pinpoint accuracy and I want to think it was the will of the force that that happened

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like to imagine Vader had a huge grin on his nasty rear end face as he gave the line, whereas he was just unhappy and grimly going about his business when slaughtering all the hat dudes.

Yeah seriously I pictured Vader having a dry cracked burnt bemused smile the entire time he was dealing with Kendall, just thinking geez these guys should just get a room and get it over with already

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man I hope Leia wasn't gonna have a big role in 8 and 9

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
JJ Adams desperately pulling a Lucas, switching Han's and Leia's roles around in TFA

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like to think Kinect's pure white uniform with long flowing cape wasn't Empire-standard and everybody just rolled their eyes at him being a dipshit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The line says aspirations which is a pun on his ambitions and breathing as well

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
They really shoulda kept the cg golem more low key. A reflection in the window, a quick glance of him as he punked Kennedy, that's it. Instead they focused on him way too many times for way too long and you could totally tell he was a computer construct and it took me out of the movie every time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Thinking on it I don't like now how they seem to say may be the force be with you like it's a standard goodbye, when in A New Hope you could tell they only said it for Luke's sake after losing his religious mentor

EDIT: Also can't believe I missed it until WHM pointed out that Saw Guerrera is probably meant to sound exactly like Che Guevara

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not just something they say to Luke; Dodonna says it to all the pilots at the end of the Death Star assault briefing.

Yeah, because Luke was there (he was, right? It's been two years since I last saw Star Wars) and again, a little thing to make him feel better and or a recognition that hey, maybe this old guy was onto something and we should start praying to it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so this is probably just me being nitpicky, but I did google the Episode 2 Death Star appearance, and I just plum forgot that the skeleton of it does show up at the end of Episode 3, but how does that fit in to planting the exhaust port as a deliberate weakness if there were already plans during the Clone Wars and construction already started by the fall of the Old Republic?

Was Jyn orphaned sometime during the prequels?

What's his face designed and built the laser part of the death star, so it's conceivable that the exhaust port is part of the weapon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What is the time line of Rogue One at the start of the movie? When Jyn is just a child, how long has the empire been in control?

Honestly, based on the prequels and their messed up timeline, probably a weekend

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BillBear posted:

The thing that makes the least sense is when Plinkett brought up his "context" argument which made no loving sense. The other films are the context lol. Of course you'll be confused about the force and who the empire is if you jump into the franchise with a spin off. " WHO'S MEANT TO BE THE BAD GUY??" oh loving gee I wonder who it could be? Tarkin? The near cameo appearance who's sole point is to remind you Krennic isn't the top dog? Vader? The guy with like 2 tiny scenes? Or Krennic, the guy who sets the whole plot into motion and spends the whole film trying to finish his death machine, crush the rebels and has gently caress loads of screen time? God I really can't tell guys. That video sucked hard.

It ties into his comments in his first review about how from the very first shot of a new hope we understand the context of the movie; a small, plucky rebellion escaping from an all powerful and resourceful empire. A new hope creates its own context while rogue one largely depends on the original trilogy for context.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Better question is why isn't she using Threepio I mean what the gently caress.

Threepio can't be fit with the speculum claw accessory

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The one that had like a bazillion different characters and was kinda hard to follow because I read it really late at night after having a few.

I love the visual of the ships and stuff kicking up blood red dirt on the white planet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

How's this for a non-porg TLJ reveal?

Why is she covered in glaze

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I liked the porgs

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The Space Horses scene went on too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I really liked the movie but I gotta admit I rolled my eyes when they dragged out the super laser siege cannon turbo and thinking oh boy another thing they gotta hit with pinpoint accuracy while being chased by lasers and then the movie even goes as far as saying literally it’s like a miniaturized death star and I rolled my eyes so far up my brain nerves ended up a tangle

• Locked thread