Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So why are are all the spaceships in the trailers not fighting in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nessus posted:

Were midichlorians mentioned more than like twice in the movies anyway?

It's clear that Lucas wanted them to play a much larger role in the overarching story of the prequels but changed his plans due to the unanimous disdain for it. Same thing happened with Jar Jar and why he got smaller roles as the movies went on. Anakin's birth was originally going to be explicitly spelled out as Darth Evil doing magic with the midiclhorians to create a super force baby.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

We're never getting 80s caliber Ford but if we can get close to Air Force One caliber Ford I think we'll be good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Harrison Ford loving hates having his Star Wars legacy hanging over his head, who on Earth isn't expecting him to die since there is no loving way he would agree to do more than one of these new movies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

EU did it in Dark Empire with the Galaxy Gun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It is going to be so loving weird for some Star Wars movies to not have a John Williams soundtrack. Since Marvel is going to release them on a yearly basis he surely won't do them all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The point is that she has the light saber.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So that's Andy Serkis' character? And those appear to be two different stages of concept art for him. I think the one on the left is waaay cooler but that appears to be an earlier concept. The one on the left looks like a younger man who had something terribly wrong happen to him. The one on the right just kind of looks like an older dude like Palpatine, just with more pronounced wrinkles.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah looking at it even further the design on the right kind of sucks. Its just a cartoon character, just an exaggeration of some old wrinkly old man with a soggy left eye. The one on the left is legit unsettling and enticing. It's really loving cool.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gatts posted:

Palpatine is Anakin's father by way of the Force. Listen to what he says during the concert scene in Revenge of the Sith, they way he treats him, and how the Windu-Sidious fight paralels with Sidious-Luke.

This was originally going to be outright spelled out in Episode III but even Lucas realized that was loving stupid and just limited it to the vague poo poo Palpatine says at the space ballet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

After the clusterfuck that was the prequels I think taking the safe path for Episode 7 was the right call. Hopefully whoever directs Episode 8 will then pull an Empire Strikes Back and do something more complex. Do we know who that will be yet?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ugh, I know RLM went into this in depth but I still can't get over how stupid an idea it was to make Anakin space Jesus. FFS he was a million times better and more interesting as space Rinehard Heydrich.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

skog posted:

Does anyone know what the deal with kylos dumb loving light saber is

His character is literally a Sith weaboo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nessus posted:

James Cameron is supposed to be making a live action anime but he decided to go make Avatar 2 and like, explore the bottom of the ocean instead.

I remember back in the Spring of 2010 when Avatar was just leaving the theaters after making a gazillion dollars and James Cameron was talking about how he was going to get right to work on back-to-back sequels, a prequel book, and a bunch of other poo poo. He was targeting release dates of 2013/14. Its been nearly 6 years and he hasn't done poo poo, Avatar 2 is barely in pre-production. What the gently caress has he been doing? Avatar is not a hot property, he should have struck as fast as possible to ride the hype wave it had. But it's now long gone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

JJ Abrams is a hack.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So why did Han and Leia, especially Leia being the leader of the Resistance after all, just let their evil son go around the galaxy with impunity and assemble a new empire ready to enslave the galaxy? Might have wanted to nip that in the bud earlier.

Why didn't the story just have them not know who Kylo was, so that it was a reveal to both the audience and them?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

But guys, that's for the Star Wars Sequel-Prequel trilogy of novels to explain! Remember, its officially on the same level of canon as the movies.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aftermath_Trilogy

People who disliked the EU before when it was just optional get what they deserve when now its going to be required reading to understand just what the gently caress is happening in the movies. There is no escape. And at least the old EU had actual established Sci-Fi authors writing the books. The quality varied tremendously but they were more or less qualified. Now Disney is taking self published fan fiction writers and giving them the keys to the official canon.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 17, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does the ENTIRE Aftermath Trilogy take place after RotJ but before TFA? The third book doesn't come out until 2017!

Correct. But it'll probably have a ton of Episode 8 plot teasers and poo poo in it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from my understanding, the republic demilitarizes itself. or at least doesn't have a central army. instead, it spread its forces around for forum various system/planetary defense forces. i am guess everyone remembers what happens when the old republic got a super army and they decided to just localize it instead. now they are basically funding the space kurds aka the resistance to fight whatever Imperial resurgences their are which is what i assume the new order is.

i have heard mixed stuff about that book. i have heard is really badly written. but i think disney will do better then lucas with books. the last 10 years or so of star wars books were mostly poo poo.

It's pretty bad. And yes the post New Jedi Order EU was a complete clusterfuck. Troy Denning is a giant fucklord who ruined everything.

Anyway my theory for why Mark Hammil only had one short scene in the movie is that he's going to spend the next couple years getting in better shape so that he can do more stuff in the next film without looking like an old fat guy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

iSheep posted:

VIII is the summer of 2017.

Really? That soon? Oh christ, the production is going to be a mess. Its not like they pulled a Peter Jackson and filmed everything back2back2back in one giant production. They have a new director and everything! That's faster then the rate they are pumping Marvel movies out. If we can think of the Episodes like The Avengers movies then they should be every 3 years with all the side poo poo in between.

I guess the Harry Potter series did it to varying degrees of success. Three was with a new director and came out 1 1/2 years after 2. Four and Five both had new directors also and came out 1 1/2 year after the other.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 17, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

I want more of awesome grandpa Luke. He's also a good deal younger than Alec Guinness was in 77.

:ssh: Mark Hamill is OLDER now than Alec Guinness was in 77.

Yeah I was surprised too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Remember the battle with Darth Maul, Order 66, and Padmé's theme from the OT? Those are standout pieces that I would recognize anywhere. There was nothing like that in the PT.

Uh I think you had a typo or two in here.

Anyway John Williams did some amazing work with the PT. The problem is that the scenes in which the amazing music is heard are all lousy and most importantly unmemorable. When you hear music from the OT you immediately see in your mind the binary suns, the asteroid belt, or the death star. You recall the amazing music with the amazing scenes, creating a real lasting impression. I'd put some of the pieces of music from TPM and RoTS against anything from the OT, its just that they don't stick with us as much because they basically exist in a vacuum as good music.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rey is a female clone of Luke.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gotta wait for volumes 2 and 3 of the official canon prequel book series to find out just what the gently caress is going on with the Republic and The Resistance. In stores over the next 2 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

At least this hopefully will put to the rest the "only jedi can use lightsabers!" thing from the EU.

That was never a thing in the EU. At all.

Unless you mean "use effectively" which is different. But its from A New Hope that non jedi suck at using them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I've always wondered, what if Owen had allowed Luke to join the Academy and leave Tatooine? What would Obi-Wan have done since he wanted to keep an eye on Luke. And I doubt he'd consider it a good idea for the completely untrained burgeoning force sensitive Luke to suddenly be in the hands of the Empire. So would he have intervened and told Luke not to go?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Snoke is definitely going to be an evil Yoda.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has SMG weighed in on the movie yet?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TFA is gonna break 500 million domestically this weekend, a full 7 days faster than the current record holder Jurassic World.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nuke Hollywood 'til it glows.

gently caress that, TFA did everything right where JW did wrong. It deserves it over that or Avengers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Surprisingly not all of the EU was purged like we assumed last year. KoTOR is apparently still canon to some degree as Rakata Prime is on the official canon map in the new TFA Visual Guide. Whether that ends up meaning anything remains to be seen but the planet Luke was on is very similar to Rakata Prime with the oceans separated by small islands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff from KoTOR gets name dropped. After all Luke was apparently looking for the first Jedi Temple or whatever so maybe thats the temple you gently caress around in during the game on Rakata Prime. Far more people are familiar with KoTORs plot than anything else in the EU as the game sold millions of copies and reached main stream appeal so it wouldn't just be the turbo nerds recognizing the reference.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

As far as I'm concerned the entire EU as we always knew it is gone forever so I don't care if they touch on some stuff only to then throw it out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The EU was trying to do some really neat stuff with the nature of the force during The New Jedi Order series. It basically ends with the Jedi understanding that the force isn't split into two distinct moral types but is actually a lot more nuanced. Hence The Unifying Force. But a couple years later noted hack and Bug Orgy aficionado Troy Denning ruined literally everything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. That was honestly pretty lame. It was attempting to inject a sense of moral ambiguity and greyness into an energy force which amounts to God and Satan. It was the book fanfiction version of going "maybe I can use the evil powers of darkness, but for good!" You can do that kind of story but probably not in Star Wars where the Dark Side literally turns your eyes an evil shade of yellow and leads to spiritual and seemingly inevitably physical decay.

I do think there's room for the idea that the light isn't synonymous with the Jedi. The Force Awakens even plays with that by using Maz who is not a Jedi but is very in-tune with the light side of the force. I just think trying to go "I can use Force LIghtning and Force Choke people but in a heroic way" feels like lazy writing.

Troy Denning is still a garbage pervert though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

euphronius posted:

I love this because it is ambiguous. It could just be the landscape reflected in his eyes. But the landscape is also a metaphor for the turmoil of his emotions! Ah! The pt. so good.

It's not, Lucas specifically explained thoes eyes in detail 10 years ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

He got sith eyes when he was burning and screaming "I HATE YOUUUU"

The delivery of that line cracks me up every time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kylo probably made a lightsaber while still with Luke so he had some knowledge.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Personally I think it'd be p lovely if Luke gets Kenobi'd rather than Yoda'd, which makes me wonder what was Yoda's secret to longevity, like was he just not on the radar enough of the dark side or didn't get into many situations jeopardizing his life or was he just that badass a Jedi?

I just assume his species lives a long rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Interesting he never ended up on the wrong end of a saber fight despite the greater odds of this happening given his life span.

Well the Jedi were at peace for a thousand years before the Clone Wars. And in my head canon Yoda never used a lightsaber anyway.

• Locked thread