Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao. you're defending obscenely rich people being crabs about what made them obscenely rich.

Who cares? They're allowed to like or not like something just like anyone else. And it's not like he's out there picketing the movie, he's just been not that into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tennyson Ford knows what's up

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the consensus on Return of the Jedi being good, because I think it's really kind of lovely. The end part with Luke and the Emperor is nice, but that's about it.

Has some solid individual parts, but yeah, it's kind of lame. I rewatched it recently and it's a pretty big mess that wastes a bunch of the characters.

I will say that Mark Hamill basically carries the movie from the moment he steps on-screen. I was really, really impressed with his acting this time around.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Except that The Terminator and Star Wars are arguably as good or better than their sequels.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hammerstein posted:

It's kinda funny, because in 2015 we also had the only movie, at least that I can remember, which ever managed to take an old and beloved franchise and bring it back to the big screen, but in a new, surprising and re-imagined way. while still staying true to the original vision. That movie was Mad Max.

Creed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I love how embarrassed his face looks. I wonder if Clooney has ever seen it.

He'd probably be all "Why is Val Kilmer's head like that?"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The shot that stuck with me the most is weirdly K-2SO downloading information from another droid's brain.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yes! It evoked the same general feeling of hosed-up-ness that the tortured robot in Jabba's dungeon does (the one that's basically drawn and quartered). It was the only moment of "that is some hosed up poo poo done in the interest of this ostensibly good goal" in the movie I thought. It needed more of that kind of twisted poo poo if they wanted to evoke extremism more

Yeah, there was a weird disconnect between that scene and Cassian shooting the dude who would obviously talk if captured and everything said about Forest Whitaker's suicide bombers being some disowned faction of the Rebel Alliance.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Thundercracker posted:

Did Cushing hate Star Wars as much as Alec Guinness did?

I doubt it. He was generally pretty happy about the schlocky genre stuff he was in.

Zombie Cushing was awful though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Captain Splendid posted:

He seemed like a nice guy

Hell yeah, Cushing is the best.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheMaestroso posted:

Yes, this boundary-pushing effects work - that has never been nearly this good - is in fact awful and worthy of derision.

Yes, it is.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The de-aged RDJ and Michael Douglas in Civil War and Ant-Man looked better I thought.

They also agreed to it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty sure Carrie Fisher agreed to hers, and it didn't look great.

I'm not talking about how it looked. I'm saying it's gross and bad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wandle Cax posted:

It's no different than an actor playing a dead figure in a biopic or something.

I think it is, yeah. There's a big difference between Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe and making a biopic starring a CGI Marilyn.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wandle Cax posted:

Actually yes this is different because it's a fictional character. But I don't see how it's gross and bad. The filmmakers considered Cushing's performance so worthy and his character irreplaceable, so they elected to recreate it as best they could as a sort of ultimate homage rather than any other, lesser option. Imitation is the sincerest flattery and all that. They did have the permission of his estate of course too.

It's not an imitation though. It's parading his corpse around and I find it distasteful, regardless of whether or not his estate agreed to it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Somewhat ironic, given how often he played Frankenstein.

I'll give it that, yeah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly can't tell what the authors of this were trying to do with blind monk and heavy FPS class guy. Like were they supposed to be a couple? was the movie queer baiting? Was the movie just scripted so weird a friendship came off as romantic? Like heavy was cradling monk in his arms saying they'd see eachother again in force heaven by the end.

It's pretty standard war movie stuff.

It could definitely be read as them being lovers, for sure, but even if you don't it's not out of the ordinary.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

LegionAreI posted:

All the Aftermath books are and it's infuriating to read.

Hahaha what the gently caress

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lord and Miller left the Han Solo film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Fuzz posted:

Abrams wrote the script too, no? So expect Lost level horseshit being written in to hype you up then promptly being nothing/getting glossed over and forgotten.

No

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The MSJ posted:

It turns out Luke was a tulpa the whole time.

How's Ani?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

basic hitler posted:

If they leave those two alone expect a shitload more low quality cgi jungle chases and nuke proof refrigerators

Half of those things were good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Your posts are always good as hell.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Naw, Star Trek 2009 was great. Abrams also made a good Mission: Impossible and Super 8 was great. What you should be worried about is the fact that Force Awakens felt muddled and vacuous.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Damon Lindelof is Very Good

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Star Trek 09 is like the third best Star Trek

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thrawn527 posted:

I agree, though some days I'd say it's the second best. I go back and forth on 6. The shapeshifter stuff is a little too silly. And Kim Cattrall's search for the space boots loses me every time. But god drat is Christopher Plummer so good in it.

Yep, exactly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Literally every TNG Trek movie is worse than the entire reboot series. Probably Search for Spock, as well.

Edit: But that's beside the point when it comes to whether he should do Episode IX. I think Force Awakens is just okay, but it made a ton of money and, in Disney's eyes, successfully primed the Star Wars pump. He's one of the safest choices, but he makes sense from their point of view.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 14, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Cameo posted:

It does smack of Rian Johnson pulling a James Gunn, where his name and a slight stylish improvement over the established norm will mask the fact to a lot of people (many of which should know better) that he completely let the money men pick apart any aspect of the story that had a soul and is selling you an empty Happy Meal box of a movie with a smile.

Although, considering immediately after Brothers Bloom the man was frantically trying to lock down commercials (no one bit, but that's how he ended up getting Breaking Bad), I'm not surprised. He's been doing the starving artist thing for going on a decade now with some reasonable salaries here and there. The promise of a few million dollars and maybe half a backend gross point to make what The Mouse wants out of something, and that something being this thing you grew up playing with and thinking about would be real tempting to anyone at that point.

It's just sad when you know they can get weirder and wilder and better. None of this movie suggests it came from the mind of the guy who went "you know, I really like Witness, I'm gonna take my time travel cat and mouse story and make the back half of it a non-Amish Witness homage".

Yeah, hopefully it'll be like a Gareth Edwards thing where I'm happy a filmmaker I like gets a bunch of money so they can go do something else cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ewoks own because they killed people.

They also deliver one of the only effective emotional beats in that movie outside of the Luke/Vader stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

sebzilla posted:

The Porg's name is also Luke?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The right answer is "laser sword"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

What are the odds that JGL stars in Rian Johnson's trilogy?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It would be nice if this movie did anything at all with Oscar Isaac, but I have my doubts. I mean, I'm glad the guy is getting the paychecks, but if you've got Oscar Isaac you'd think you'd use Oscar Isaac.

The trailers haven't really lit me on fire even though I think Rian Johnson is great. Luckily, we haven't seen anything to do with Benicio Del Toro so I'm holding out hope that he's secretly the best part of the whole deal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

It is in the top 3 best Star Wars movies.

Nah, it's fighting for 4th with Jedi and Clones.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's crazy to me that Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern are in this film and seemingly do nothing important. It's like they tried to one-up Oscar Isaac in the first film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ben Chewbacca Solo killing Snoke and taking over is a great idea and saves us from JJ's bargain bin Throne Room Scene.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I legitimately forgot she even existed. What a waste of Lupita.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

quidditch it and quit it posted:

What the gently caress. This is stupider than anything.

It's literally the only interesting thing I've heard or seen from Solo that wasn't "Space Donald Glover"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Was The Missing any good?

• Locked thread