Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Plagueis would be cool as the big bad in all of this. That would build upon already established lore and continue with the concepts that were laid out in the prequels about the jedi and the sith being locked in an arms race for immortality.

Somehow Palpatine didn't truly dispose of Plagueis and Plagueis has been spending this entire time resurrecting himself somehow only to show up. Ties into the "Awakening" concept and might eventually reveal if Plageuis was somehow involved in Anakin's supposed "virgin" birth if he had the ability to make midichlorians "create life."

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Martman posted:

Those Plagueis images and the idea of chasing immortality remind me too much of Voldemort.
Yeah there's that. I think the concept is interesting because it can do a number of things:

1. It ties the entire saga including the prequels together
2. actually gives some purpose and point to why midichlorians were ever brought up in the first place
3. might actually expand on the story of the skywalker lineage all-together. Luke may get to face his sorta-grandpa.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Robutt posted:

The latest synopsis claims Kylo is Hans son and Rey is Luke's daughter but I'm more inclined to think they are siblings rather than cousins. As to whether they're the kids of Luke or Leia, I'm not too sure at this point.
They're clearly meant to be mirror images of each other given all the imagery in the film. I'd rather they be siblings because then the question will be raised as to who Rey's mother is if she's Luke's kid. Unless Luke and Leia never could kick that incest habit and that's why the kids are all screwed up. I doubt Disney would let that into the story.

Although bonus points if they bring all of that darth plagueis stuff into this an rey is another midichlorian derived virgin birthed force person like Anakin. She's quite clearly carrying around a staff that looks like it has lightsaber poo poo on one end as seen in those character specific posters. That almost like the hilt of one end of darth maul's lightsaber turned upside down.

G-III fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 8, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Nessus posted:

Fear of a Black Jedi

Jump to 6:00 for black jedi cutting off the heads of the white devil albinoids with light sabers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4UaSGcvbE

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Robutt posted:

I doubt he will die but it could be Finn as in the climactic battle with Kylo, according to all the speculation summaries, Finn will go down injured as Kylo is too much for him and then Rey will defeat him because she's a super special skywalker.

Kylo Ren seems to have some kind of force mind attack that we see him using on Poe in the trailers. I assume this will probably be his version of the vader force choke. He probably gives Finn a taste of that, either that or poor Finn is going to get a good scar / lost limb.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

I liked it overall, but why does JJ Abrams love 9/11'ing everything with no exploration or follow-up? He did it at the end of Into Darkness, and this time he killed off billions of people (entire planets) with no acknowledgement or connection to the scope of such a tragedy.

I get that "kill millions of people violently" is a good way to tell us that the bad guys are in fact pretty bad, but it seems awkward that everyone's celebrating and jumping around at the end when whole civilizations have been eradicated.

With Alderaan we had a human connection at least through Leia...
Although already stated in another way, that human connection lasted but one non verbal reaction shot from Leia and a few lines of dialogue from Obi Won. The subject of Alderaan never came up for the rest of the story and was never mentioned in any of the other films. It makes sense to a degree, the film can only focus on so many elements within a given time frame... better to focus on the characters that are driving the story through 3 films than to stop and reflect realistically on what would be the galaxy's greatest tragedy. That's just how Space Opera works.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 16, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

El Perkele posted:

Poe is actually a character with a resemblance of personality contra Wedge, but he is over the top
Does his skill as a pilot match his over the top attitude? Does his piloting skills pay the bills?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

a Loving Dog posted:

thats honestly my biggest complaint in the movie

considering how much stuff was jam packed into this movie I have a feeling a lot of things got cut to shorten the running time. My biggest complaint on my end is Luke will never get reunite with Han unless that old smuggler shows up as a force ghost (he did self sacrifice in a sort of attempt to save his son from the darkside).

Here's the thing I hope TFA and its sequels finally explains: force ghosts.

Did the force ghosts that kept bugging luke just gently caress off after ROTJ or can they just roll on up to him at any time. I worry that Luke has to put up with whiny young anakin ghost complaining about sand for the umpteenth time that day.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm sorry, the only way I can believe that Rey could defeat kylo is if she had spent a few months in the wintery hills of that starkiller base and did workout sessions with common farm equipment while listening to very cheesy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo

This movie failed to live up to my very realistic expectations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SnatchRabbit posted:

I saw TFA last week and I've been talking about it with friends a lot since then. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it didn't really make me any more excited for the new trilogy considering that TFA kept so closely to the plot of Ep4. I felt like TFA played it too safe and felt way too derivative for my tastes. However, a friend of mine reminded me of this LA Times interview with Gary Kurtz who was the second director on Star Wars and Empire. I'm no Star Wars historians so it could all be sour grapes, but it's an interesting read. My friend was making the argument that assume in an alternate cinematic timeline where Kurtz stayed on and RotJ was more of a spaghetti western style ending as originally intended with the rebel Alliance decisively defeating the Empire, although at great cost, i.e., Han Solo dying, Luke walking off into the sunset. (Also the prequels never get made) In that way the TFA is much more worthy successor and much more in the spirit of Ep4 and 5.We effectively get to the same place narratively at the end of TFA but with most of the bad stuff in Jedi and the Prequels cut out. I'm pretty sympathetic to his argument and it actually makes me like TFA a lot more.

gently caress Kurtz. He was rightfully fired for loving up. Also, never forget that when he tried to make movies on his own he ended up making this god awful movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6r9zXVOk8

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The earlier drafts of star wars all seem like something that would make for a great animated picture by Rene Laloux or a comic by Moebius.

Basically the sort of thing that would best be enjoyed while smoking weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Prometheus rules.

I liked prometheus, it had rough issues with it but overall a cool new direction... then alien covenant came along and pissed on itself and anything that made prometheus any good.

• Locked thread